• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Revisiting Ninja Gaiden: Where am I and what do I do?

newsguy

I had rented it from gamefly when it launched, and I kicked some ass until I reached the teradactile boss. Frustration set in and I sent it back. I rented it again and I am getting into the flow of things again (I almost forgot how beautiful this game is, still the best looking XBOX game IMO). So it says I'm at stage 10, for those who beat the game, how far am I percentage-wise? Also, any pointers on how to beat that damn boss? I only fought him a couple of times last night and I thought standing under the ledge where he jumps would be the trick... Until he took a swipe at me. I'm pretty good at dodging his laser, but when it does hit, it does an insane amount of damage. Thanks in advance, and let me say again that this game has to be one of the most technically impressive console games I've ever played.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
You've still got quite a long way to go before hitting the end. Most of the later chapters become considerably longer than the early ones.

As for that boss, it's really hard to give hints for this game. It's something you just learn to "feel". Just work on avoiding his laser and, when you get in close, just beat him down until he runs. I don't actually recall having any trouble with him, honestly...but coming back to the game after a long break could make it much more difficult.

newsguy

Yeah, when I was playing before I remember that flying woman demon thing gave me so much trouble. This boss definitely seems easier but it does hurt that I'm coming back after so long.

IJoel

- Avoid his attacks (easily done)
- Position yourself to the side, and proceed with a flying swallow. You will end up on the other side. Do the same from this side.
- After 5 or so attacks (above) it'll lower its head. Move to the front quickly and attack the head directly (this is where most of the damage is done.)
- Rinse and repeat.

newsguy

morbidaza said:
Teradactyl boss? I'm not remembering this guy, I'd be happy to give pointers if you'd refresh my memory. What stage is he at the end of?

At the end of stage 10 (the aqueduct?). Thx IJoel, I'll look up flying swallow in the moves list.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
ok, here's how to knock this son of a bitch so down that you'll ask yourself "that's it?"

i used the Vigoorian Flail (level 2) and the armlet that has the fireballs surrounding around you

first, try to get him to do the laser attack that does a horizontal sweep across the room. when he does this, roll and jump and attack him with the flying swallow (? or whatever the hell it's called when you press A+X then Y). you'll get a few hits on him...when you land on the ground, do the X,X,X, ->, X,X,X,X,X combo. if it looks like he's gonna do a counter attack, roll the hell away. he'll either attack all around with a 360 move, or he'll try to grab you. if he does the 360, get away until it finishes. if he tries to grab you, immediately get back in after he fails and wail on him some more. rinse and repeat until he suffers enough damage that he'll fall to the ground. once that happens, target his head and activate the armlet. now do the X,X,X->,X....combo again. rinse and repeat. he'll go down in no time

IJoel

newsguy said:
At the end of stage 10 (the aqueduct?). Thx IJoel, I'll look up flying swallow in the moves list.

Flying Swallow is the decapitating move. (Jump + Y pointing to the enemy)

AHhh the dragon dude. I had forgotten about him.

Don't get too far away because he'll chase you. I find the best thing to do is as soon as you see an opening, run in and whale on him. I liked using my most powerful weapon(I don't remember exactly which it is...probably the dabilahro), because you can knock off alot of health real quick. If you're lucky, you'll be able to get him to lower his head nearly each time you charge in. This is one I've generally had a bit of trouble with, and I find that having lots of potions helps tremendously.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Use a heavy weapon on him (lvl 3 Dahbilaro or Unlabored flawlessness), if you hit him enough he gets stunned and you can really own on him.

newsguy

Schafer said:
Use a heavy weapon on him (lvl 3 Dahbilaro or Unlabored flawlessness), if you hit him enough he gets stunned and you can really own on him.

Is it normal that my Dahbilaro is still level 1? Is it maybe that I upgraded other weapons first, or should everything be full by now? Oh well, I'm still at work so I'll give it a shot tomorrow.

Johnas

C- Warrior am late

I started to buy this game recently, but decided to wait for Black, hopefully it will come out when it's supposed to, in the fall.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
newsguy said:
Is it normal that my Dahbilaro is still level 1? Is it maybe that I upgraded other weapons first, or should everything be full by now? Oh well, I'm still at work so I'll give it a shot tomorrow.

The very first room in the aqueducts is one of the best areas in the game for getting money. It's full of bats, so all you do is walk in, throw 2 shurikens to kill 2 bats, equip your flail and absorb the 2 yellow souls and unleash the super attack. It'll kill all the bats and since it was a super attack they will all drop large yellow balls. If you equip the armlet of benediction you can make 99,999 bucks in about 15 minutes of just going in and out of there over and over.

newsguy

Thx to everyone, I beat his ass. I used a little of everyone's suggestions and tried some new things myself, and I was able to kill him really quickly. I used the flails, did the flying swallow move, but instead of using the surrounding fireballs, I used the Ice Shard Nimpo when he tried to bite be (this counteracts that). Once he lowered his head, I switched to the warhammer and the surrounding fireball Nimpo and holy shit did that do some serious damage. Just doing this once took him down to less than a quarter health. Appreciate all the help, oh and I beat the crap out of that dude that killed his dad by using the blade and doing many flying swallows.

Wario64 said:
speaking of videos, is there any type of "super play" videos out there?

Ive never seen a NG "Super Play" video. The closest I've seen are Boss videos (and some challenge videos) from a guy names Shinobier. He used to have a web page at master-ninja.com, but its gone now. I still have all his videos, if someone has somewhere for me to upload them to. 575MB for everything. The guy is a VERY impressive player, and I believe he holds the record for fastest time on "very hard" mode.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
wtf, someone needs to upload this now. does itagaki have something against people who post videos or something? i'd imagine this shit would already be on the planetquake speed run page

Top Bottom