• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Revolution Controller Revealed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.
What're the odds that the mysterious "flap" under the disc-drive is where you store the sensor bar while not in use? AFAIK, we still don't know what's under that flap.

DrGAKMAN

Banned
catfish said:
I must have the red one.

This is like the first time that I don't know what color console I want. I think the black, white, silver & red decks ALL look nice...and I've always wanted a red console. Hrmmm, at first I thought black though, yet the silver & white ones also look very cool...especially with that blue drive slot light.

Gahiggidy said:
What're the odds that the mysterious "flap" under the disc-drive is where you store the sensor bar while not in use? AFAIK, we still don't know what's under that flap.

It would be pretty unlikely that they would waste space just for that.

Akia

Gahiggidy said:

That flap is for SD cards.

MutFox

Banned
Just needed it to be confirmed...
I wonder if it will accept KB's...
Also, I want to plug in my X-Arcade Stick via USB.
:)

AssMan

Banned
It's going to come down to the games for me now. I'm sure Mario and Zelda will improve graphically, but if both series have changed drastically due to the controller, then it's just a PS3 for me.

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
AssMan said:
It's going to come down to the games for me now. I'm sure Mario and Zelda will improve graphically, but if both series have changed drastically due to the controller, then it's just a PS3 for me.

Probably to the extent that Mario 64 was different than Super Mario World and Ocarina of Time was different from Link to the Past, I would imagine.

mCACGj

AssMan said:

That's pretty ignorant. You have no idea what this controller could bring to the table for Mario and Zelda. It could make it better. To just throw it out because the change is too much is like eating the same thing for breakfast, lunch and dinner every day.

AssMan

Banned
Probably to the extent that Mario 64 was different than Super Mario World and Ocarina of Time was different from Link to the Past, I would imagine.

Don't even try to compare jumping from 2D to 3D to the new controller.

That's pretty ignorant. You have no idea what this controller could bring to the table for Mario and Zelda. It could make it better. To just throw it out because the change is too much is like eating the same thing for breakfast, lunch and dinner every day.

Some of us want Zelda to remain traditional. Can you imagine trying to control Link while lifting your left are up and using the analog? You're not going to have such a precise movent, and your cordination will be a bit off when playing the game.

Doc Holliday

SPOILER: Columbus finds America
AssMan said:
Don't even try to compare jumping from 2D to 3D to the new controller.

Some of us want Zelda to remain traditional. Can you imagine trying to control Link while lifting your left are up and using the analog? You're not going to have such a precise movent, and your cordination will be a bit off when playing the game.

Awesome! you've tried it already? tell us more!

KINGMOKU

Rahul said:
Q: How do you know when an idea is innovative?
A:
When it scares the hell out of everybody.
Holy shit is that the truth.

Talk about extremes ALL OVER THE INTERNET. Wailing and nashing of teeth, only later to hear sounds of glee, and running thru grassy meadows.

It's like the internet has gone MAD.

All I know is that everytime Nintendo has placed a major change into one of thier controllers, it has become INDUSTRY STANDERD.

1.)Digital pad? check
2.)Analog stick? check
3.)Shoulder buttons? check
4.)Rumble? check
5.)Wireless? check

If this sucker is used correctly, we'll be playing games, that were once just not possible on a "classic" controller.

I for one cannot wait.(I to had my wailing/nashing teeth moment)

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
AssMan said:
I love people saying it won't be precise when hands-on play tests have said that it is precise.

AssMan

Banned
What? That's a logical comparison.

Jumping from 2D to 3D was all about graphics. You pretty much had the same button layout from 2D to 3D, except with the introduction to analog.

What's there not to understand? What would be the easier way to control Link? Using the GCN controller(as an example) or the mouse like analog?

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
When reading such statements I come to the opinion, that the writer would better pick up a PS3. Obviously, he came is of this oppinion too ;). And yes, of course he's ignorant ^^.

Mallrat83

Banned
Doc Holliday said:
Haha, no shit!

Roads? Where Assman goes he doesn't need roads...

bttf.jpg

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
AssMan said:
Jumping from 2D to 3D was all about graphics. You pretty much had the same button layout from 2D to 3D, except with the introduction to analog.

You've got the same type of transition then, only this time it's not a graphical shift, but a control input shift. Who's to say that the new Mario and the new Zelda won't be every bit as good as the ones we saw on the N64?

Assman said:

I'm sure there were people in '95 that wanted their Zelda game to be traditional as well. Hell, there are people now that only play 2D games. Doesn't mean that Nintendo wasn't right in pushing into the 3D realm. Don't you see the same pattern of thought from TEN years ago apply to the situation now?

KINGMOKU

This is almost the same shit argument about the Revs power, and it is here, about the controller.

No one knows whats inside the Rev, so blindly stating it will be weak, is assinine.

No one here has used the Revs controller, so blindly stating it will suck, is assinine, certainly coupled with the fact that every single hands on test has gushed about it, and it's accuracy.

I to have doubts about the controller, but from hands on reports, it alieviates alot of my worries.

I'll wait for my final thought, when I actually get to hold the bastard.

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.
If Nintendo was smart, they'd invite the GAF over to try out the new controller for themselves. Either, A. Nintendo has no knowledge of the GAF which proves its truely out-of-touch or, B. Nintendo is fully aware of the GAF but refuses to invite us over... showing yet another example of Nintendo's "unwillingness to compete"™.

masud

Banned
Gahiggidy said:
If Nintendo was smart, they'd invite the GAF over to try out the new controller for themselves. Either, A. Nintendo has no knowledge of the GAF which proves its truely out-of-touch or, B. Nintendo is fully aware of the GAF but refuses to invite us over showing yet another example of Nintendo's "unwillness to compete"™.

So you want all of us to be in the same place to try out a blunt object. :lol

Chrono

Banned
This has been bothering me for a few days now. I can't decide which one I prefer - black revolution or white revolution. :'(

Gahiggidy

Black. The blue disc-drive will really stand out against the black base. I expect it to be the clear leader in sales-preference.

Gahiggidy said:
If Nintendo was smart, they'd invite the GAF over to try out the new controller for themselves. Either, A. Nintendo has no knowledge of the GAF which proves its truely out-of-touch or, B. Nintendo is fully aware of the GAF but refuses to invite us over... showing yet another example of Nintendo's intelligence.

AssMan said:
What's there not to understand? What would be the easier way to control Link? Using the GCN controller(as an example) or the mouse like analog?

Just keep those comments to yourself, till you try it, otherwise it's just ignorance.

revobright5cf.jpg

I've been in account activation limbo for what feels like forever, it's feels good not to be on the sidelines anymore :) .

I'm sure every single genre was considered when Nintendo was developing the Revolution controller. It should work perfectly for fighting games (traditional?? dunno) because there is no way in hell they weren't considering Super Smash Bros. Revolution during the controller design. It was their best selling Gamecube game and a sequel at the Revolution's launch is surely going to show off the systems capabilities for fighting games.

Thraktor

Gahiggidy said:
Black. The blue disc-drive will really stand out against the black base. I expect it to be the clear leader in sales-preference.

To be honest I like the blue-on-white better, more restrained, classy look to the unit, IMO. Black & white controllers for me, though. Speaking of which, if they're including the analog nunchuck with the system, I hope they're going to throw one in with each controller as well, given how a considerable majority of games would probably end up making use of it.

Edit:- Also, I don't know if anyone else's noticed this, but they seem to be using capacitors in line with the LEDs on the controller and the main blue system light, which means they dim gradually after being turned off, rather than simply flicking off. Completely inconsequential, but I think it's a nice aesthetic touch.

Aurora

clearacell said:
revobright5cf.jpg

I've been in account activation limbo for what feels like forever, it's feels good not to be on the sidelines anymore :) .

I'm sure every single genre was considered when Nintendo was developing the Revolution controller. It should work perfectly for fighting games (traditional?? dunno) because there is no way in hell they weren't considering Super Smash Bros. Revolution during the controller design. It was their best selling Gamecube game and a sequel at the Revolution's launch is surely going to show off the systems capabilities for fighting games.

Good point.
However for a game like Smash bros. I feel you really do need a standard controller.
I don't really imagine how one could do all the moves (B+Up, A+Right etc) using the remote on its own.
Now with the shell that's a different story.

Thraktor

Aurora said:
Good point.
However for a game like Smash bros. I feel you really do need a standard controller.
I don't really imagine how one could do all the moves (B+Up, A+Right etc) using the remote on its own.
Now with the shell that's a different story.

This is why I really don't want to see Nintendo bundling the shell with the system, it'll be a cop-out for games that developers don't want to adapt for the new control method. The standard controller and analog attachment (which I do very much hope is bundled with the machine), should make for a very interesting change in the next Smash Bros game, without ruining the style that we're accustomed to. Don't get me wrong, I loved the first two Smash Bros. games, but I'm not going to shell out for a new console if the big launch game is just more of the same with an online mode attached, which is all I see happening if they start using the shell as the default control method in games like these.

Shao

I want to see the shell bundled with it, not doing so is just going to get flames because it will be used no matter what,

Besides I hate cheap ass ports of games where the developer tries to get new hardware latched onto the end, i would prefer direct ports or no ports at all tbh. Games like Ridge Racer DS make me cringe when I see it next to PSP RR, pathetic use of the DS features as well. Don't even get me started on spiderman.

Innovating does not usually entail forcing progress on people.

clearacell said:
revobright5cf.jpg

respect +10 for the azumanga pic
and I agree, nintendo must have considered most genres when making their controller, at least the genres they work with

Thraktor

I want to see the shell bundled with it, not doing so is just going to get flames because it will be used no matter what,

I disagree completely, it won't "be used no matter what", for the simple fact that add-on accessories have never penetrated a high enough percentile of a console's consumers to make games that rely on them worthwhile (with certain niche expections, such as EyeToy based games).

Aurora

Thraktor said:
This is why I really don't want to see Nintendo bundling the shell with the system, it'll be a cop-out for games that developers don't want to adapt for the new control method. The standard controller and analog attachment (which I do very much hope is bundled with the machine), should make for a very interesting change in the next Smash Bros game, without ruining the style that we're accustomed to. Don't get me wrong, I loved the first two Smash Bros. games, but I'm not going to shell out for a new console if the big launch game is just more of the same with an online mode attached, which is all I see happening if they start using the shell as the default control method in games like these.

I see your point and I actually do agree. I mean they went through all the trouble of drastically changing the controls as to create a gaming revolution so having one of their killer titles just use the shell would be completely contradictory.
But from a practical standpoint I think it would be a little ridiculous for Nintendo not to include the shell with the Rev, especially if a lot of ports and 3rd party games utilise it.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
Aurora said:
I see your point and I actually do agree. I mean they went through all the trouble of drastically changing the controls as to create a gaming revolution so having one of their killer titles just use the shell would be completely contradictory.
But from a practical standpoint I think it would be a little ridiculous for Nintendo not to include the shell with the Rev, especially if a lot of ports and 3rd party games utilise it.
Not to mention making SNES/N64 games easily playable (remember that not everyone will have a GCN controller if they do successfully expand the market).

Thraktor

Aurora said:

One of my points is that, if it's not included in the box, 3rd party games won't utilise it, at least not as their primary control method, because it wouldn't make sense for the publishers to limit their userbase. What I do admit, though, is that something is needed to allow gamers to play SNES/N64 games on the system, but I don't want this to be a trojan horse for the shell to creep it's way into the box and result in the same situation we have with the DS, where only Nintendo is making any decent use of the touch-screen at all.

argon

Chrono said:
This has been bothering me for a few days now. I can't decide which one I prefer - black revolution or white revolution. :'(

Black looks really lame with the silver stand, IMHO. I'd go with white.. the design reminds me of something out of star wars (original trilogy), for some reason.

but you have a year to decide... =)

Ristamar

argon said:
Black looks really lame with the silver stand, IMHO. I'd go with white.. the design reminds me of something out of star wars (original trilogy), for some reason.

The slanted silver stand is kinda lame. I don't like it as it it is, and I doubt I'd use it.

I'd also probably go with the black, but the silver and white are nice, too.

G4life98

Thraktor said:

but that would go counter to what nintendo is trying to with the rev...they are not trying to ditch the hardcore and the complex games they love, thats why iwata made it clear that the shell would augment the revmotes functionality.

i figure nintendo will require some use of the revmotes unique abilities even when using the shell. they really have to include the shell...multiplatform devs will demand it and you need ports to fill out your lineup.

sarusama

Ristamar said:
The slanted silver stand is kinda lame. I don't like it as it it is, and I doubt I'd use it.

I'd also probably go with the black, but the silver and white are nice, too.

aw... nobody seems to like the olive-green one for some reason. It's not that I dislike the black or white or silver ones, but it's just that those colors are soo standard. I'd get the green one partly just cause it's non-standard and partly cause I like the looks of it. If they don't offer it at launch I'll prolly get a white one.

Maybe they should give the black Revolution model a glossy black stand?

Or make the silver a bit more chrome-ish ... like the black/silver i-Pod nano.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom