• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Revolution Controller Revealed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kroole

I think Square is better off by having the FF:CC online but with small parties. With that comes two advantages.

1. They won't have to have big servers to handle the traffic

2. The game won't be directly competing with their own MMORPG FFX11

Aurora

Kroole said:
I think Square is better off by having the FF:CC online but with small parties. With that comes two advantages.

1. They won't have to have big servers to handle the traffic

2. The game won't be directly competing with their own MMORPG FFX11

Final Fantasy 21? Cool, when's that out?

to new comments one from Beth llewelyn of nintendo, and the other from David Jaffe of God of War

Low Revolution price is looking VERY good
NOA Senior Director Beth Llewelyn had some more to say cocerning the Revolution pricepoint.

While we have not released information about pricing for our next system, we do recognize that in order to expand the market and reach new consumers price is an influencing factor. Price will be a major consideration in future consoles as the cost of technology continues to rise. As we've already seen with the currently announced pricing for Microsoft's Xbox 360, gamers looking for a new system around the holidays this year could easily spend over $500, which could be too high for many consumers.

She makes a great point. Chances are anyone that is getting an Xbox360 is going to get the $400 model, and then once you factor in a charger for the controller, and a game or two you are well over the $500 mark. Seems from her words that Nintendo is going to do its best to keep a price point that can suit everyone.

posted by RawmeatCowboy at 10:38 AM 0 comments

David Jaffe digs the Revolution
Praise from the industry concerning the Revolution controller just keeps pouring in. David Jaffe, the man behind God of War had this to say about the controller on his personal blog.

I like it, can't wait to play with it... worried -- as a player -- it could be a novelty that gets old... but Nintendo is not dumb and they must know the whole 'novelty burnout' is a risk so they are prob. doing all they can to make sure that doesn't happen... I think it's a great idea....

Jaffe loves this thing.....

from http://nintendonow.blogspot.com/

Thraktor

Given that every Nintendo console ever released has done so at $199, and all of Nintendo's comments have hinted at that price region, I don't see why anyone is even questioning what the price might be. Whether or not that turns out to be half the price of a PS3 (or less), though, reamins to be seen.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
bune duggy said:
is this an actual title in development, with those features? because I know a FF:CC fanatic who would love to hear this.

No, I don't know. Just speculating. I just thought the title sounded cool......... dont ya think?

koam

Shao said:
lol it would be so hilariously cruel if the only reaosn you couldnt watch a DVD was cos you had no "play" button

If Nintendo included DVD playback right out of the box, they'd have to shell out $20 in DVD Forum royalty fees. That's why the Xbox doesn't have it built-in either, it would raise teh cost by $20. Instead, they could release the remote add-on for like $40 and it would enable DVD playback ($20 for DVD forum and $20 for profit/pieces/shipping/handling/etc).

Thraktor said:
Given that every Nintendo console ever released has done so at $199, and all of Nintendo's comments have hinted at that price region, I don't see why anyone is even questioning what the price might be. Whether or not that turns out to be half the price of a PS3 (or less), though, reamins to be seen.

$250 wont be stretching it, depending on what is packaged in the console itself as well as the bundle. It's a price that could be a good cut between.

neptunes

gamergirly said:
$250 wont be stretching it, depending on what is packaged in the console itself as well as the bundle. It's a price that could be a good cut between.
Nah, I think $199 is a really good price point, but we need to know what quarter they plan on releasing it, with microsoft planning annual pricecuts and all. Nintendo needs to be a little agressive.

Shao

koam said:
If Nintendo included DVD playback right out of the box, they'd have to shell out $20 in DVD Forum royalty fees. That's why the Xbox doesn't have it built-in either, it would raise teh cost by $20. Instead, they could release the remote add-on for like $40 and it would enable DVD playback ($20 for DVD forum and $20 for profit/pieces/shipping/handling/etc).

I know this and I agree with it, I don't want DVD functionality.I just find it funny if all that prevented it from working was "no play button". Poor xbox owner too. MS really is an annoying company.

Ristamar

gamergirly said:

I'd also prefer it to launch at $250 if it means the difference between having or not having respectable hardware specs and/or a decent pack-in (Classic Shell, Nunchaku Extension, etc).

Honestly, I can do without the shell. I'd prefer decent specs.

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.
If Nintendo found success luanching the DS at $150, then I can easily see them luanching the Revolution at $250. The PS3 will be too new to have a price drop in time for Nintendo's luanch, so the price differance should be more than competitive.

Gahiggidy said:
If Nintendo found success luanching the DS at $150, then I can easily see them luanching the Revolution at $250. The PS3 will be too new to have a price drop in time for Nintendo's luanch, so the price differance should be more than competitive.

$250 seems like a really odd number though. I can't remember the last time a console was priced at that. $199 would be ideal because that was the Gamecubes price point...but $299 with the nunchucks and possible "normal contoller" add on would be great. If it includes *5 free NES downloads with every purchase* type deal, it would be even better :)

argon

clearacell said:
$250 seems like a really odd number though. I can't remember the last time a console was priced at that. $199 would be ideal because that was the Gamecubes price point...but $299 with the nunchucks and possible "normal contoller" add on would be great. If it includes *5 free NES downloads with every purchase* type deal, it would be even better :)

I predict $249 with two remotes, two analog sticks, and a pack-in game (or that 5 free games deal)

If they are really looking for the mainstream audience, they will pack-in a bunch of small but fun Mario-party style games to show people how to use the remote.

I think they will pack-in two controllers to get the family aspect going.

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.
They won't pack in any NES games if they can just let them have a few token FREE downloads on the Nintendo Online service.

Nintendo better a have some classic titles ready for download from day one. I want Mario 3, Link to the Past, Super Metroid and Kirby 3.

Slurpy

*drowns in jizz*
$199 is too cheap. I want them to pack decent rendering hardware in that thing. It has to last a few years, and look respectable against the other 2 players. 249 sounds decent.

Sorry if this has been asked, but do the GAFers in Japan know what the core Japanese gaming population (not press) is saying about the Rev controller? Any message boards we can go to?

What's the Japanese equivalent of GAF anyway?

Krowley

Slurpy said:
$199 is too cheap. I want them to pack decent rendering hardware in that thing. It has to last a few years, and look respectable against the other 2 players. 249 sounds decent.

after seeing the controller, i'm not really worried about the hardware anymore (although i admit i have never been a graphics whore)... if it can render half life 2 at PC quality, i will be happy. this system is all about next gen gameplay for me... i would not want to pay 250 for added hardware... now if it was the difference between packing in the standard controller shell or not, that would be a different story...

Gahiggidy

The hardware better be impressive considering its going to have to last untill 2011. HL2 graphics would look rudimentary by twenty-ten.

Krowley

Gahiggidy said:
The hardware better be impressive considering its going to have to last untill 2011. HL2 graphics would look rudimentary by twenty-ten.

i'm talking more about initial games than down the road. i'm hoping that the games at release look as good as hl2 does on a tricked out PC.... thats just a notch below the current crop of x360 games and that is about what i am expecting from the rev... comparable graphics, significantly better than current gen consoles, but a notch below the other two systems.... roughly equivelant to current gen PC tech, just at lower res.

Down the road, as devs have time to learn the hardware, all three systems will end up improving. i never dreamed my ps2 could run god of war for example, and if you go back and play some of the early ps2 games, it's almost like jumping back a gen compared to something like god of war.

the gameplay will make up for it, unless all these hands on reports are wrong. At least that's my opinion, but i'm not a graphics fanatic.

Thraktor

evilromero said:
Nintendo better a have some classic titles ready for download from day one. I want Mario 3, Link to the Past, Super Metroid and Kirby 3.

They've already confirmed that all 200+ first party games will be available from day one. Not sure about third parties yet, but I can't imagine they'd be far behind. I honestly wouldn't be surprised if, when the download service starts seeing some serious profits, we get to the stage where nearly every game released on NES/SNES/N64 is available for download.

Ruzbeh

Banned
I don't see how people think it's going to be $300. All Nintendo consoles have been $200, like Thraktor said, and this time they're really putting a lot of emphasis on price and cost and stuff. They want Revolution to be real cheap. So, with that in mind, $300 is out of the question.
Thraktor said:
They've already confirmed that all 200+ first party games will be available from day one. Not sure about third parties yet, but I can't imagine they'd be far behind. I honestly wouldn't be surprised if, when the download service starts seeing some serious profits, we get to the stage where nearly every game released on NES/SNES/N64 is available for download.
Nope. I hope this isn't somehow referring to that '221 titles' thing that Famitsu supposedly mentioned, because that was fake.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
TheKingsCrown said:
Has anyone noticed how old they are getting, or is this just me?
I see it :( I'm all stoked about getting my hands on this thing and then I go "oh shit, I'll be 27"

fucking terrible. these speculation topics make me feel older than anything though.

Thraktor

Ruzbeh said:
I don't see how people think it's going to be $300. All Nintendo consoles have been $200, like Thraktor said, and this time they're really putting a lot of emphasis on price and cost and stuff. They want Revolution to be real cheap. So, with that in mind, $300 is out of the question.

Nope. I hope this isn't somehow referring to that '221 titles' thing that Famitsu supposedly mentioned, because that was fake.

Not referring to the Famitsu article itself (although the article never claimed that all those games would end up on the service, just that Nintendo had 221 self-published titles between the three consoles), but I'm fairly sure I recall someone in Nintendo stating that their entire back-catalog would be available from launch, although I may be mistaken.

One thing Nintendo could do at launch is, say, offer 5 free game downloads from their back catalog with each purchase of the system. Those games available for download have no cost attached anymore. Offerieng up free downloads would attract many, many people, especially those who have fond memories of the NES but haven't gamed much since. Price it at $199 and it's very, very attractive.

bigNman

I think $199 is too cheap. The DS cost $150 and look at the graphics in that! I think $250 is the right price point seeing as the x360 and ps3 will still be more expensive. Nobody would bitch at that price, unlike the initial x360 price news.

Taker666

dlobro1080 said:
One thing Nintendo could do at launch is, say, offer 5 free game downloads from their back catalog with each purchase of the system. Those games available for download have no cost attached anymore. Offerieng up free downloads would attract many, many people, especially those who have fond memories of the NES but haven't gamed much since. Price it at $199 and it's very, very attractive.

or they could just pre-load the flash memory with an online Revolution controller enhanced version of Goldeneye,or an online enabled version of SNES Mario Kart, or an enhanced version of Ocarina of Time with high res textures at 60 fps.

Pre-loading them would be a better idea as then they would be available to everyone.

Ruzbeh

Banned
bigNman said:
I think $199 is too cheap. The DS cost $150 and look at the graphics in that! I think $250 is the right price point seeing as the x360 and ps3 will still be more expensive. Nobody would bitch at that price, unlike the initial x360 price news.
DS cost so much because it's portable.

Taker666 said:
or they could just pre-load the flash memory with an online Revolution controller enhanced version of Goldeneye,or an online enabled version of SNES Mario Kart, or an enhanced version of Ocarina of Time with high res textures at 60 fps.

Pre-loading them would be a better idea as then they would be available to everyone.

yeah but making people download them gets people to use and get used to their online service, which im sure they will want everyone to do :) ...i do think it would be a good idea to stick one small game on, like Mario 3 or something to let everyone test it so they want to get the online thing though ...

...so i guess somewhere in the middle would be good :p

methodman

Banned
what if one of the suprises would let you play some of the best n64/snes multiplayer games online vs other plays... Oh shit, that would be fucking AWESOME.

I'd prefer a $250 Revolution if it means a better chipset.

However, I'm not so sure Mr. Iwata would agree.

Sell it at $250 at launch, let us early-adopter suckers eat the cost on the thing, and then bring it down to $199.99 US I say, but I'd rather have a little more breathing room for the guys at ATi/IBM rather than having them really pressed to squeeze everything into a more limited budget.

maharg said:
I think the price will be entirely dependent on what Sony comes out with. Rev = PS3 - 100 is my bet.

No I don't think that's Nintendo's biggest concern.

They also have to look out for casual gamers.

It's really kinda pointless to spend all that time/money on making a controller that casual players might want to play with and then asking them to pay say $300 for a system (supposing PS3 is $400).

Casual/fringe gamers look at things very different. They see right off the bat that they don't get a game so they have to pay more and then suddenly they're like "oh my God, I'm going to have pay like $400 total because I don't get a game or an extra controller for free".

It's just too much for them, even if they like the system, video gaming still doesn't have the same "value" to them that it does to established players.

Besides given the size of the Revolution, Nintendo's likely already put an artifical roof on how fast the chipset can be without melting the casing.

DS actually has quite a bit inside of it for a portable. Two LCDs, one a touchscreen, a microphone, built-in WiFi, and a pretty decent set of stereo speakers for only $50 more (well $30 now) their usual $99 price point for handhelds.

Xellotah

maharg said:
I think the price will be entirely dependent on what Sony comes out with. Rev = PS3 - 100 is my bet.

You need to bear in mind the XBox360 will probably undercut the PS3 by then ( by at least $50 ) and Nintendo will need to be less expensive than that.

Ruzbeh

Banned
maharg said:
Not at all. If the PS3 is $500, the Rev isn't going to be $400.

I think it's pretty much going to be $200 or less. Period.

Xellotah

revolution053ay2ox.gif

Hey guys ... look at that.. I didn't know the cord on the analog stick was that long.

It definitely looks longer than the official pics.

_bla_

soundwave05 said:
Casual/fringe gamers look at things very different. They see right off the bat that they don't get a game so they have to pay more and then suddenly they're like "oh my God, I'm going to have pay like $400 total because I don't get a game or an extra controller for free".
Might be smart to start bundling games again then. Cheap for Nintendo and looks like a good deal to casual gamers too. $199 could be too cheap, $249 could be too expensive. Instead of going $229 or something like that $249 including a game could be a good idea if you want to target casual/fringe and hardcore gamers at the same time. $249 would be ok for hardcore gamers, even if they don't want the included game, otoh the casual gamer could accept $249, if he doesn't need to buy a game to start.

quetz67

Banned
Do you guys think Luigis Mansion was designed with the revolution controller in mind?

It perfectly suits the game and it is exactly the type of blown up demo to show off the controller. Maybe Miyamoto thought of having such a controller already this gen?

Anyway, I think we sure will see a Lugis Mansion 2 (the flashlight sim) on Revolution.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom