• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Revolution Controller Revealed

Status
Not open for further replies.

El_Victor

And now about something completely different (but the question does not really deserve its own thread);
Didn't Nintendo invest in an Anime Studio? Or something along those lines? I wonder what happened with that..

Ruzbeh

Banned
El_Victor said:
And now about something completely different (but the question does not really deserve its own thread);
Didn't Nintendo invest in an Anime Studio? Or something along those lines? I wonder what happened with that..
Nintendo might've wanted to do cartoons or something...

donny2112

Nintendo will probably have dozens of games available at launch, if they can get the download service working at the start. ;) They may even pre-load the system with a couple of games (new Super Mario Bros. that uses the Revolution controller?), if the download service isn't set up at first. There's also the whole "it plays all GameCube games" thing to keep people busy. :)

It could be like the early months with the DS where, after finishing Super Mario 64 DS, GBA games were the games of choice on the DS for a few months. If there's a delay in getting software out at launch, preloaded/downloaded/GameCube games will help soften the blow, if not remove it entirely.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
civilstrife said:
ninrev.jpg

SEXY AS FUCK
I put that next to the NES Revolution pic.

NES_Revolution.jpg

Do it Nintendo.

CrisKre

I said it before and I will say it again: I havent been so excited by a vg product since Mario 64.

During the weekend a few things popped in my head:

I would love to see a game where you use telequinesis of some sort, point the wand at objets on screen to "lift them"and the toss them a'la Nintendogs freesby. I would also like to see a sequel to PN03 with this thing too (I loved thet game, damn the haters)

Also, my admiration for Iwata has increased tenfold. I think years from now we will think of him as one of the most influential people in the industry. really, this man is a paradigm shifter. Another testament that Yamauchi is the most cunning mofo on earth, he couldnt have chosen a better successor.

Response from non gamers to my explanation of this have been really interesting. Possitive at that.

I hope nintendo executes this correctly. They are making my hobby so much more interesting than anyone else in this industry. I love them for that. Im psyched.

While I was sold on the idea just from reading the impressions, the video completely won me over. I'll be waiting for Revolution and getting it on Day 1. Same here, I haven't been this exited for a game/system since Super Mario 64.

rawk

CrisKre said:
I said it before and I will say it again: I havent been so excited by a vg product since Mario 64.

During the weekend a few things popped in my head:

I would love to see a game where you use telequinesis of some sort, point the wand at objets on screen to "lift them"and the toss them a'la Nintendogs freesby. I would also like to see a sequel to PN03 with this thing too (I loved thet game, damn the haters)

Second Sight would work well with this controller.

KINGMOKU

Fuzzy said:
I put that next to the NES Revolution pic.

NES_Revolution.jpg

Do it Nintendo.
Holy shitballs. That is so fucking sick. Talk about a time-warp. Imagine sitting down, with that, downloading Mario Brothers, and playing.

They HAVE GOT TO DO THIS.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
Same for me, I can't recall the last time I've been that excited (except yesterday with my wife). I love Nintendo (and I love you too honey).

japtor

CrisKre said:
Another testament that Yamauchi is the most cunning mofo on earth, he couldnt have chosen a better successor.
after seeing the controller i figured yamauchi chose him cause he was the only one in the company more insane than he was. little did we know how much of a psychopath the soft spoken mild mannered iwata was.

Aurora

Wow, that's hot.
Can you imagine actually blocking, parrying and attacking with the remote? It could turn out to be amazing.

KINGMOKU

Aurora said:
Wow, that's hot.
Can you imagine actually blocking, parrying and attacking with the remote? It could turn out to be amazing.
I know, i know. This is the kind of shit that will make the Revolution RULE if it's actually done.

Can you imagine pulling back, and then thrusting, stabbing deep into Vaders chest? Holy hell.

MUST HAVE NOW. MUST KILL VADER.....

methodman

Banned
Maybe this is the reason Zelda got pushed back: So you would have something to play on your Revolution at launch? Think about it... If they have some type of different incentive in the Zelda using the revolution controller, or something of the sort, then you would probably buy it just to see how the revolution controller is. I sort of hope they dont do this, falling back on something like this is pretty stupid. Just release some great games at launch nintendo PLEASE. Dont fuck this up!

Ok, before I say anything, I have to tell you that I have been away at a convention since last Wednesday, put in some really long days, and had no Internet access while I was there. So, of course when I get home, I want to see what's been happening at the TGS, knowing that a lot would be revealed.

When I got around to the story about the Revolution Controller, I was like, cool, lets see what it looks like, finally. Well, what can I say. The damn thing looks like the worst controller I've ever seen. I can't imagine myself playing anything with this beyond a few niche games. I'm the first one to admit that I'm not much of a Nintendo fan these days, but even I was surprised at how awkward and silly this thing looked. Yes, I know it has a sensor for making your moves, but I still don't think I personally would want to play a game with this thing.

It's also interesting how this thread has gone. I have only read the first few pages and the last few, but it's gone from "OMG, that thing sucks!" to "Wow! Nintendo has done it again! Great controller!" Very interesting change of opinion for sure.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
Kung Fu Jedi said:
It's also interesting how this thread has gone. I have only read the first few pages and the last few, but it's gone from "OMG, that thing sucks!" to "Wow! Nintendo has done it again! Great controller!" Very interesting change of opinion for sure.
Because this thread went from people only knowing what it looks like to people reading the hands-on at a few sites and understanding what the possibilities are.

I've read the hands on reports as well, and the possibilities seem rather obvious. I'm sure Nintendo will have some interesting ways of implementing the controller into game play, but it still just looks too awkward for my tastes. It certainly is a big gamble for Nintendo, as they run the risk of alienating many mainstream customers.

Mihail

Banned
Anecdotal Evidence: I had the Revolution's controller as my desktop image. My dog saw it and barked happily. I think a lot of these will sell.

Mihail

Banned
moku said:
On an interesting sidenote, check this pic out;

http://photos1.blogger.com/blogger/...e-revolution-controller-20050915054852879.jpg

If you look at the reflection, it differs from the controller bieng held.

Odd, and interesting to say the least. I wonder if it means something?

Ahaha, that's great. The original picture shown to the TGS attendees has the buttons marked as X and Y, with a and b printed beside them (sideways, so that if you turn it like a NES controller, they read upright).

Later, the buttons were relabeled a and b. I guess whoever fixed up the image at Nintendo forgot the doctor the reflection.

That's pretty funny, though.

CrisKre

The other thing I hope nintendo realizes, is that this is a good start for revo but they need to have a killer application that showcases the paradigm shift this offers DAY 1. That is a must. And I mean a killer application of Mario 64 proportions. No if or buts, people need to see a game the simply have to play and can only be done with this controller. Potential doesnt sell Nintendo systems any more. Its all in the game.

Again, I hope EAD knows this...

I just realized how perfect Killer 7 would be on the rev, hold A to walk, press B to go into 1st person view, move the controller to aim and press A to fire

too bad capcom will probably enver allow a sequel to it

CrisKre said:

I'm quite sure Nintendo is well aware of this. I expect that their games will be the driving force behind the new controller capabilities. I think the reason why they chose to show the controller and not the games are to inspire developers and make them aware of the new controller functions in advance.

Otherwise they risked facing the same situation as in the early N64 days. Introducing a revolutionary new interface with a revolutionary game but lacking in games on the first year after release which hindered its growth and sales potential.

Tamanon

Banned
:lol

Oh shit, I had missed looking at the controller this whole time, man I almost bust out laughing at work. That's hilarious, I might have to try it just so I can reenact scenes from The Wizard. :D

fugimax said:
According to Nintendo, though, the APIs for graphics/etc. are essentially the same as Gamecube. The main changes will be in the controller APIs (obviously).

PS3/360 devs are having to deal with much much harder problems. Developing Revolution games will be much easier and familiar to existing gcn developers.

NINTENDO DIDN'T SAY GRAHICS, THEY SAID THE API. ALL NINTNEDO SAID ABOUT GRAPHICS IS THAT IT WILL MAKE YOU GO WOW.

japtor

CrisKre said:
The other thing I hope nintendo realizes, is that this is a good start for revo but they need to have a killer application that showcases the paradigm shift this offers DAY 1. That is a must. And I mean a killer application of Mario 64 proportions. No if or buts, people need to see a game the simply have to play and can only be done with this controller. Potential doesnt sell Nintendo systems any more. Its all in the game.

im guessing they have some team working on an fps cause iwata said he wanted it to become the new fps control standard. so itd be more goldeneye/halo proportions rather than mario 64. or something. whatever. but i expect some multiplayer fps at launch.

i just want mario fishing (sega), mario kart (namco), and some gun game (hotd4?).

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
Definite first party titles I envision Nintendo to put out during the launch window:

1.) Mario. Duh, they've already said they're not doing another launch without Mario. Still don't have too much of an idea how they're incorporating the controller with it.
2.) Pilot Wings. Honestly, it's probably the easiest and coolest showcase for the one hand rev controller. MAKE IT HAPPEN.
3.) Metroid Prime 3. Full blown FPS (As much as I liked the FPA idea), essential to convince the hard core dual analog/PC crowd that this is a legitimate and perhaps better alternative to the old methods.
4.) Smash Brothers. Online showcase with enormous appeal. Another one in which I have no idea how they're going to do the controls.
5.) Waverace. No brainer on controller.

Show these in a convincing way within the first six months of launch with combined with some new franchises, and you've got a system with legs to stand on past the gimmick stage.

BorkBork said:
Definite first party titles I envision Nintendo to put out during the launch window:

1.) Mario. Duh, they've already said they're not doing another launch without Mario. Still don't have too much of an idea how they're incorporating the controller with it.
2.) Pilot Wings. Honestly, it's probably the easiest and coolest showcase for the one hand rev controller. MAKE IT HAPPEN.
3.) Metroid Prime 3. Full blown FPS (As much as I liked the FPA idea), essential to convince the hard core dual analog/PC crowd that this is a legitimate and perhaps better alternative to the old methods.
4.) Smash Brothers. Online showcase with enormous appeal. Another one in which I have no idea how they're going to do the controls.
5.) Waverace. No brainer on controller.

Show these in a convincing way within the first six months of launch with combined with some new franchises, and you've got a system with legs to stand on past the gimmick stage.

Dont forget about this new IP they are making !

My guess is a RTS game!! some crazy mario RTS !

Tellaerin

donny2112 said:
Nintendo will probably have dozens of games available at launch, if they can get the download service working at the start. ;) They may even pre-load the system with a couple of games (new Super Mario Bros. that uses the Revolution controller?), if the download service isn't set up at first. There's also the whole "it plays all GameCube games" thing to keep people busy. :)

It could be like the early months with the DS where, after finishing Super Mario 64 DS, GBA games were the games of choice on the DS for a few months. If there's a delay in getting software out at launch, preloaded/downloaded/GameCube games will help soften the blow, if not remove it entirely.

QFT.

Backwards compatibility kept the PS2 afloat during the pre-launch software drought. It'll work for Nintendo, too. What they need to do is lead off with a handful of titles that give early adopters (and interested third-parties) a hint at what's possible with the the controller, Wi-Fi, etc. (A new Mario would be perfect for this.) That would keep people hungry for more while the second wave of games are being developed.

Nintendo seems to be trying to pull in new blood with the Rev. People who either haven't touched a game system in years or who skipped the 'Cube in favor of Microsoft and Sony but want something new are likely to account for a large number of purchases. The kind of comprehensive BC the Rev offers is perfect for them - older players will have a library of downloadable retrogames to enjoy, while the more contemporary gamers who missed out on the Cube library will have a ton of games to keep them occupied.

(And here's another thought... What if the Rev includes built-in wand support for some Cube games as part of its BC? The wand-enabled demo of Metroid Prime got me thinking about that. If the system offered the option to play selected GC titles that way, it could be very interesting...)

GoutPatrol

Forgotten in his cell
BorkBork said:

I have been thinking about this as well. How are they going to do SSB? I think they may just use the classic shell for it, but that would make other companies think that they don't know how to use their own controller.

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.
GoutPatrol said:
I have been thinking about this as well. How are they going to do SSB?...
Easy!

Jab forward for quick jab.
Jab forward twice for punch.
Jab forward three times for kick.
Jab forward four times for special attack.
Jab forward five times for jump.
Jab forward six times for shield.
Jab forward seven times for to grab.
Jab forward eight times to throw.
Press A to pause.

Evenball

Jack Flack always escapes!
I'm convinced this is Nintendo's answer to kids who used to move their controller all over trying to make mario jump higher.

IMO, the design of this controller is very interesting, but I'm skeptical. I'm just worried that waving it around might get tiring after a while and I don't like the lack of buttons. Too soon to pass a final judgement though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom