• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Revolution ship drm'd Broken Sword 5 to kickstarter backers, promised drm-free game

Shiggy

Wouldn't say they lied about the DRM-free issue. If all backers got a digital DRM-free version then the FAQ is correct. The Mac/Linux issue seems like the much bigger problem though.

As it's a Steam key, they have access to the Mac and Linux versions. Not sure who came up with that issue.

Azih

I don't exactly know what people are expecting at this point. The game got made where it wouldn't be otherwise and there is a DRM free version available to download. Those are the important things.

I don't exactly know what people are expecting at this point. The game got made where it wouldn't be otherwise and there is a DRM free version available to download. Those are the important things.

The important thing here is that people who pledged higher amounts get what they expected. Revolution got a lot of money from us. It's not about what we expect now, but what we expected when we pledged.

Shiggy

Charles Cecil

Just back from short trip to find lots of passionate communications re BS5 Backer’s Edition requiring Steam installation.

Clearly misjudged strength of feeling re DRM on BS5 Backer’s Edition so we will gladly offer DRM-free DVD for those who want it

Charles Cecil on Twitter

Charles Cecil on Twitter

Great stuff.

It'll cost a fair bit, but he's probably judged it worth the money given the amount of high-pledge backers complaining on kickstarter that they'll never support revolution again.

I'm still shocked he sent out the ridiculous kickstarter update last week though. How could he have not seen this coming?

Beyond what is necessary, imo. He clearly values the goodwill of the fans.

Exactly what was necessary for, at the least, a good chunk of backers.

inm8num2

The real question now is, who will be the next developer to ignore what's happened with DRM on other projects and make the same mistake?

It's a predictable cycle by this point.

- developer doesn't fulfill promise/guarantee of game being DRM-free, at least in eyes of backers
- backers complain
- developer reassures backers game is DRM-free after it's downloaded from Steam (which it certainly can be), or developer explains why the choice they made was the best or most necessary one
- backers complain, demand DRM-free copies/codes
- developer brushes complaints aside, hopes they fade
- backers continue to complain, word begins to spread
- developer relents, decides to give DRM-free copies/codes of game

Rinse and repeat. :p

This is all about which version is pressed to a physical disc that basically exists to be a collectible on a shelf? I figured from the title that we were at least looking at a situation where the DRM-free version wasn't being made available to the backers.

It's probably the right thing for them to do to offer replacement discs (even though it'll burn through a ton of capital to do so) and it seems like Kickstarters are going to have to be much more pedantic about these things going forward, specifying upfront that "DRM-free copy" means exactly that and doesn't automatically imply that closed betas, preview releases, or physical rewards will be available the same way.

This is all about which version is pressed to a physical disc that basically exists to be a collectible on a shelf? I figured from the title that we were at least looking at a situation where the DRM-free version wasn't being made available to the backers.

It's probably the right thing for them to do to offer replacement discs (even though it'll burn through a ton of capital to do so) and it seems like Kickstarters are going to have to be much more pedantic about these things going forward, specifying upfront that "DRM-free copy" means exactly that and doesn't automatically imply that closed betas, preview releases, or physical rewards will be available the same way.

I doubt they'd do that, they'd lose too much money. Given how high value physical copies are in pledges, it might be the difference between success and failure for some projects.

Reading between the lines this came about because their distributor wanted drm on the retail version and revolution didn't want to stump up the cash to make two different versions, but they underestimated the backlash of doing that.

evala

Banned
i backed with 100$ specifically because the dvd collectors edition. in return i get a cd jewel case looking like its from the 90's plus print on the cds as if they are pirated and on top of that it merely a steam code. just bravo Rev.

Shin-Ra

I just received a DRM-free DVD of the game (Win/Mac/Linux) along with the remainder of my backer rewards.

Top Bottom