• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rewind LAN tournament - Halo CE, TF2, Shadowrun '07

My last OP on this was pretty lazy, so I'm giving it another shot here.

Official Webpage
Teaser Video

WHAT IT IS

The Rewind LAN is an event at the Esports Arena showcasing three of the bigger competitive FPSs from the 2000s. The event will take place on January 21 - 22.

Esports LAN said:
It's time to turn back the clocks a bit and bring back some of the most competitive PC and Console shooters of the last decade. These games may be older, but they're as competitive as ever with some of the most passionate communities in Esports. Come out and experience everything Team Fortress 2, Halo:CE, and Shadowrun has to offer. If you aren't familiar with every game, now is the time to get involved and learn from some of the best players in the world.

THE GAMES

8jC64UU.jpg

Released in 2007, Team Fortress 2 is the sequel to the popular Quake mod Team Fortress. The game features nine distinct classes fighting it out in a slapstick parody of '60s action movies.

Matches will use a slightly modified version of the European ruleset. 5CP maps will have a 30 minute time limit & a five round win limit, and KotH maps will have a four round win limit. Classes are restricted to two per team with the exceptions of Medic, Engineer, Heavy, and Demoman, who are restricted to one per team. A select few weapons are banned, see them here.

There will be two separate tournaments: An Invite tournamant, featuring the top teams from around the world, and an Open one which anybody can join.

Further details:
- $2,000+ Prize Pool
- January 21-22, 2017
- Start Time: 10:00am
Open Tournament
- $500+ Prize Pool
- January 21-22, 2017
- Entry: $150/team

52PbNPs.jpg

Released in 2001, Halo: Combat Evolved is the first entry in the popular Halo series. Set in the 26th century, it was the Xbox's "killer app" and innovated a lot of the gameplay mechanics common in modern shooters.

There are two separate tournaments: One played on Four-player Free For All, and one on 2v2 Team Deathmatch. The games will be played on Classic Xbox + CRT TVs + Neutral Host Edition.

Further details:
FFA
- $200+ Prize Pool
- Saturday, January 21, 2017
- Entry: $10/player

2v2
- $1000+ Prize Pool
- Sunday, January 22, 2017
- Start Time: Immediately following FFA
- Entry: $50/team

X7aUWFd.jpg

Released in 2007, Shadowrun is an FPS based on the tabletop RPG of the same name.

Matches could be described as a combination of Counterstrike and Overwatch. Two teams of four go up against each other in Counterstrike-esque rounds, complete with a buying system. Added to the mix are three distinct races of characters to choose from and a variety of abilities such as X-ray vision and teleportation.

As with the others, there are two separate tournaments: A standard 4v4 tournament, and a 2v2 tournament pairing up new players with veterans.

Main Tournament
- 4v4 $500+ Prize Pool
- Saturday, January 21, 2017
- Start time: 4:00pm
- Entry: $60/team
Side Tournament - 2v2, Newbie+Veteran, etc.
- Sunday, January 22, 2017

- - -

I want to donate to the prize pools, how do I do that?

Donations can be sent here. Donations close on 01/20.

And finally, a note from the organizer:

Wade said:
  • One of my big goals with the event is to make it feel like 1 event as opposed to 3 different ones on the same day. So I really hope that each of the communities involved (TF2, H:CE, and SR) take the time to look at some of the other games and see what they have to offer. When I selected the 3 games for this event I really tried to find some that have some common features (aside from being timeless competitive classics) so that we get some integration between the communities. I believe that for these games to continue to maintain their presence in a Esports climate dominated by the New, they need to bring in new players, or at least new spectators/fans. So I implore you all to at least look into each of the other games a little bit, and see if it doesn't look interesting to you at all!
  • If you're going to be attending, there will definitely be opportunities to try all the games, and potentially learn from the best players each has to offer.

E:

Totally forgot to post the Twitch link. You can watch the event here: https://www.twitch.tv/esportsarena

Only 4 players for Halo?

Yeah, that's the standard comp format.

For those that don't know, both Halo CE and Shadowrun are considered two of the deepest and most skill-based FPSs on console. I understand not everyone respects console FPSs, but I'm sure that those of you who attend the event will be impressed with what these games can offer.

Shadowrun is so gdlk

I think it just came out at the wrong time :[

I think if it was called anything but Shadowrun it would have been a huge success. Instead it got trashed by salty RPG fans.

I really hope that someone makes an FPS that's basically a clone of it.

Shadowrun was so criminally underrated. It was such a well balanced, team-focused shooter. I'd like an HD remaster or sequel but I know it will never happen.

FoxSpirit

I think if it was called anything but Shadowrun it would have been a huge success. Instead it got trashed by salty RPG fans.

I really hope that someone makes an FPS that's basically a clone of it.
Forced Vista exclusive with GFWL.

Noone I knew had Vista and the OS already has a bad rep. Microsoft doomed the game from the start. A few people were interested but getting Vista for that? Bugger off, M$.

Bluth54

Apparently between the donation from the owner of scrap.tf and donations the TF2 prize pool is over $11,000 which is higher then it's ever been for TF2 as far as I know.

REDSLATE

Yeah, that's the standard comp format.

For those that don't know, both Halo CE and Shadowrun are considered two of the deepest and most skill-based FPSs on console. I understand not everyone respects console FPSs, but I'm sure that those of you who attend the event will be impressed with what these games can offer.

I'm quite familiar with the skill-based nature of Halo as well as its competitive prowess. Halo 2 would be better suited for comp play, and while 4 player FFA is fine, Team Hardcore is 4 vs 4.

I'm quite familiar with the skill-based nature of Halo as well as its competitive prowess. Halo 2 would be better suited for comp play, and while 4 player FFA is fine, Team Hardcore is 4 vs 4.

I'm not super-familar with Halo's comp scene, but doesn't Halo CE have a larger comp scene? Had a couple big LANs not long ago, and they were mostly 2v2.

E:

I wasn't trying to imply you don't know about Halo in that earlier post.

REDSLATE

I'm not super-familar with Halo's comp scene, but doesn't Halo CE have a larger comp scene? Had a couple big LANs not long ago, and they were mostly 2v2.

E:

I wasn't trying to imply you don't know about Halo in that earlier post.

I don't know the stats on quantity (CE is definitely bigger on PC due to obvious reasons), but quality-wise, Halo 2 is where it's at. The weapons and gameplay are incredibly balanced and it has the best maps of the series (several of them being improved revisions from the previous game). Halo's competitive scene peaked with Halo 2.

Halo CE is great as well, but whichever route you take: limiting a team game to only 4 players total is a bit underwhelming. Halo LANs, especially CE, are about getting as many people as you can into a single battle. This even went on to become its own gametype (BTB).

I don't know the stats on quantity (CE is definitely bigger on PC due to obvious reasons), but quality-wise, Halo 2 is where it's at. The weapons and gameplay are incredibly balanced and it has the best maps of the series (several of them being improved revisions from the previous game). Halo's competitive scene peaked with Halo 2.

Halo CE is great as well, but whichever route you take: limiting a team game to only 4 players total is a bit underwhelming. Halo LANs, especially CE, are about getting as many people as you can into a single battle. This even went on to become its own gametype (BTB).

*shrug*

I'm not super-invested into the post-CE Halo scene, so I can't really answer this. I did some Googling and found that they did a Halo 2 tourney last April, so my best guess is that they want to showcase CE instead. TF2, CE, and Shadowrun are all grassroots competitive scenes these days, which I'm guessing is what they want to showcase.

Beyond that, comp CE matches are pretty much always 2v2. Underwhelming or not, that's how it's played.

ExMachina

Unconfirmed Member
Shadowrun grand finals about to start on stream soon.

Never seen competitive footage of this game, looking forward to seeing how it's played at high levels.

Top Bottom