• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rhythm Tengoku Community Thread - Hey Baby, How's It Going?

Didn't the Wii version sell poorly in the west? Mostly because it was during that dead time of the Wii's life where people suddenly stopped buying games.

I mean, I got the Japanese 3DS and all, but I'd love for it to come over still.

Yoooo, check what just arrived in the post:

dttTim6.png

Joins the collection nicely:

llehuty

*_* It looks so good.

Also, I need localization announcement of the 3DS game at E3. I NEED IT.
fuck region lock.

Vlad

Daydream mentioned it back on the first page of the thread, but since the game just officially released out, I figure it's a good time to re-mention Crypt of the Necrodancer. The Giant Bomb quick look does a great job explaining what the game's about, but here's the short version:

It's rhythm-based dungeon crawler. Everything you do has to be done on the beat, from moving, attacking, using items, etc. The enemies all have the same limitations, and all have distinct movement patterns. For example, blue slimes move up and down by a single square, resting for a beat between hops. You have to move down through the floors, killing enemies, picking up gold, and buying stuff. You get a gold multiplier based on how well you stay on the beat, which is pretty important, as you'll need all the best equipment you can get. The game starts out fairly simple, but even by zone 2, things start to get hairy, when you're getting attacked by several types of enemies at once, and you need to quickly assess the best way to attack them, all while sticking with the rhythm.

While it's obviously not anything like Rhythm Tengoku/Heaven other than being rhythm-based, it has a very similar feel, mainly because the entire gameworld seems to be grooving along to the same music that you're playing to. A lot of the enemies seem to have dance-like animations (I'm particularly partial to the golem's shoulder-shuffle), the dungeon's floor starts flashing like a dance floor when you do well, and even the shopkeeper gets in on the act. There are a lot of characters to unlock, and I'm guessing that they all offer distinctly different playstyles. I've only unlocked one so far, and even that one does make you approach the game much differently than the default one does.

There's even the option for alternate soundtracks (synth-heavy and hard rock arrangements) and you can use your own songs, which works really well from the songs I've used so far.

Cmagus

This game really needs to come to North America. All the new stuff and reworked stuff looks incredible. It would also be a nice way for people who didn't play the original to get to experience some of the awesome mini games from that.

God, I don't think the fact that we're two weeks
plus shipping time
from a new Rhythm Heaven game has set in for me yet. It and E3 (where I'm certain a localization will be announced!!!!) within a week of each other are gonna be too much for me, lol.

Until then, I'll be bumpin' to some sumo jamz.

GWX

Daydream mentioned it back on the first page of the thread, but since the game just officially released out, I figure it's a good time to re-mention Crypt of the Necrodancer. The Giant Bomb quick look does a great job explaining what the game's about, but here's the short version:

It's rhythm-based dungeon crawler. Everything you do has to be done on the beat, from moving, attacking, using items, etc. The enemies all have the same limitations, and all have distinct movement patterns. For example, blue slimes move up and down by a single square, resting for a beat between hops. You have to move down through the floors, killing enemies, picking up gold, and buying stuff. You get a gold multiplier based on how well you stay on the beat, which is pretty important, as you'll need all the best equipment you can get. The game starts out fairly simple, but even by zone 2, things start to get hairy, when you're getting attacked by several types of enemies at once, and you need to quickly assess the best way to attack them, all while sticking with the rhythm.

While it's obviously not anything like Rhythm Tengoku/Heaven other than being rhythm-based, it has a very similar feel, mainly because the entire gameworld seems to be grooving along to the same music that you're playing to. A lot of the enemies seem to have dance-like animations (I'm particularly partial to the golem's shoulder-shuffle), the dungeon's floor starts flashing like a dance floor when you do well, and even the shopkeeper gets in on the act. There are a lot of characters to unlock, and I'm guessing that they all offer distinctly different playstyles. I've only unlocked one so far, and even that one does make you approach the game much differently than the default one does.

There's even the option for alternate soundtracks (synth-heavy and hard rock arrangements) and you can use your own songs, which works really well from the songs I've used so far.

This reminded me of Falcom's Gurumin, where if you attack with the beat you get critical hits. Pretty cool stuff, I love when games do this. Simogo's Beat Sneak Bandit (for iOS) also comes to mind.

daydream

Banned
I've pre ordered my copy and my 3DS is still on an old firmware so I should be able to use Regionthree. Can't wait!

had i gotten my n3ds xl a week or so earlier, i wouldn't have had to apply the update (rendering most exploits useless) to my old xl to do the transfer >->

i don't know what the state of the art on that stuff is atm, maybe there's still hope. otherwise i'm picking up a jp device after e3.

Cbajd5

had i gotten my n3ds xl a week or so earlier, i wouldn't have had to apply the update (rendering most exploits useless) to my old xl to do the transfer >->

i don't know what the state of the art on that stuff is atm, maybe there's still hope. otherwise i'm picking up a jp device after e3.

There's the RegionFour exploit that requires a copy of Cubic Ninja, but works on all 9.X firmware versions to this point. (Including the latest.) Of course, there's no guarantee that it will work with the new game until someone actually has it and tries it.

daydream

Banned
There's the RegionFour exploit that requires a copy of Cubic Ninja, but works on all 9.X firmware versions to this point. (Including the latest.) Of course, there's no guarantee that it will work with the new game until someone actually has it and tries it.

yeah, i don't know if i'm so keen on acquiring cubic ninja but it would probably be the smart way to go. we'll see!

oh, i also added the best + (what an awesome name) to the OP!

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Only 3 hours 10 minutes left until it unlocks on the eshop! (if it's the same as other Nintendo games).

I haven't played a RH game in ages, I hope I don't hit the skill wall as fast as in the previous titles in the series.

Yes Boss!

Only 3 hours 10 minutes left until it unlocks on the eshop! (if it's the same as other Nintendo games).

I haven't played a RH game in ages, I hope I don't hit the skill wall as fast as in the previous titles in the series.

Really? 10pm Wednesday night? I thought it unlocks minimum at midnight on 11th.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Really? 10pm Wednesday night? I thought it unlocks minimum at midnight on 11th.
All first party titles after a certain point in time for both 3DS and the Wii U have been made available digitally at 10PM on the day before the release iirc.

D

Deleted member 518609

Unconfirmed Member
Uh, it doesn't have remix levels at all?! That's kinda the entire point of the series for me...

It does, but it takes ages to get to them, the first five or so "worlds" have no remixes, and then you get 7 worlds with remixes, followed by another few without remixes, and 3 more with remixes. It's a weird layout, but you still get 10 remixes, the same as past games.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
I beat the game, now I gotta unlock all the bonus stages. Tying bonus stages to the perfect orbs was a real dumb idea! Challenge train is cool tho.

Anyone know how to get/play the endless games?

Uhh, isn't there a lot of input lag on that TV?

I think modern TVs are much less laggy than HDTVs of old, but I don't know how you are identifying that particular television based on that image.

That's what I'm afraid of since getting my new TV...because I still feel like I have way too much input lag in Smash (which is one of the few games you can REALLY feel it), so what kind of TV do you all use for games like these, where it's super important to have almost no input lag?

Or is there a site that rates TVs based on how much input lag they have? I want to see where mine stands. Even on Game Mode it feels off.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
That's what I'm afraid of since getting my new TV...because I still feel like I have way too much input lag in Smash (which is one of the few games you can REALLY feel it), so what kind of TV do you all use for games like these, where it's super important to have almost no input lag?

Or is there a site that rates TVs based on how much input lag they have? I want to see where mine stands. Even on Game Mode it feels off.

The first few results for this google search seem worthwhile: https://www.google.com/search?q=tv+...l2.8012j0j1&sourceid=chrome&es_sm=93&ie=UTF-8

I beat the game, now I gotta unlock all the bonus stages. Tying bonus stages to the perfect orbs was a real dumb idea! Challenge train is cool tho.

Anyone know how to get/play the endless games?

Get them by clearing all three difficulties of one endless game.
Play them in the museum.

The museum is a great way to play games without navigating through the main menu. Plus, you get access to different things. For fun, hold down the L and R buttons when selecting certain things in the museum...

I've read somewhere that
there are more endless games, for example one based on the fruit basketball game. I would be interested in learning how to unlock those.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
That would be the logical first step to take, wouldn't it?

I had already known by practice that my TV's input lag was pretty alright, but the first site helped me reaffirm that, so it works out pretty well!

Get them by clearing all three difficulties of one endless game.
Play them in the museum.

The museum is a great way to play games without navigating through the main menu. Plus, you get access to different things. For fun, hold down the L and R buttons when selecting certain things in the museum...

I've read somewhere that
there are more endless games, for example one based on the fruit basketball game. I would be interested in learning how to unlock those.

Thanks, good to know!

CRT (w/ component or S-video, depending on console) or e-IPS Asus monitor. HDMI 1 on the Samsung downstairs is also nice as fuck for some reason so that's also an acceptable option. The other three HDMI ports on that TV are ass though, even in Game Mode. Same with component.

Of course I currently have to have the Wii U hooked up to my bro's TV. I try to play on the game pad when possible though because his TV sometimes lags. Well the input lag is fine. I mean that sometimes it drops frames like crazy and displays like 5 frames a second. Sucks like hell.

Top Bottom