• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rick and Morty S3 |OT| Keeping Summer Safe - Sundays on Adult Swim

Finaj

This season feels more like Bojack Horseman than Rick and Morty. There's a bit of comedy here and there, but this season seems to want to tackle Rick's worldview and show how destructive it is to himself and everyone around him.

I like this, but I'm going to go on a limb and say that the vast majority of Rick and Morty's audience want comedy and lots of it, not drama.

I came into this thread feeling S3E2, S3E3, S3E4 felt very 'meh' compared to previous seasons, and I'm glad to know I wasn't being crazy by being alone.

HariKari

I like this, but I'm going to go on a limb and say that the vast majority of Rick and Morty's audience want comedy and lots of it, not drama.

The best episodes do both pretty much seamlessly. The ones so far this season (not counting E1) are super ham-fisted.

There was plenty of comedy this episode I thought, the only real dramatic part of it was the Noob Noob gag and that was still funny. Reminded me of the parasite episode where Rick roasted Morty.

Imo 1>3>4>2 this season. 2 was easily the worst episode but it was still hardly bad or even mediocre so I don't care.

It was kind of interesting to see them experiment with what's essentially a very long-form, slow build-up joke. The joke itself definitely hit for me, though I can see the argument that it's too slow and not really clever enough to be "Rick & Morty", with the rest of the jokes in the episode being mostly observational humor about Marvel Movies.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I rewatched the first three episodes again today and liked them all a lot more on rewatch. Shrug.

Not

Banned
I came into this thread feeling S3E2, S3E3, S3E4 felt very 'meh' compared to previous seasons, and I'm glad to know I wasn't being crazy by being alone.

Guys, the fact that some people are saying this about the first Rick and Morty episodes written by women rubs me the wrong way. I KNOW some of them know.

The dog whistle is fucking SOMEWHERE.

I rewatched all three episodes again and while I don't think S3E4 is bad, I definitely wish it focused on Drunk Yesterday Rick vs. Sober Rick. Superhero gags were funny here and there but I don't think they added a lot. E2 and E3 are super good tho.

caliph95

Guys, the fact that some people are saying this about the first Rick and Morty episodes written by women rubs me the wrong way. I KNOW some of them know.

The dog whistle is fucking SOMEWHERE.
I think you are being a bit paranoid since there are new writers and there maybe some growing pains especially since the "structure" change to focus more on drama

jetjevons

Bish loves my games!
Nah, we just aren't blind fanboys who put a show on a pedestal just because it had a near-unbroken run of good episodes a season or two ago and actually be open about are feelings when the show isn't entertaining us.

If it isn't entertaining you stop watching. And yeah, blind fanboy, that's exactly what I am.

caliph95

to be fair the youtube comments are fairly aware there are women writers who wrote these episodes and are blaming their dislike for the new season on them alone.
I'm not saying they don't exist and not surprised since YouTube comments are shit and they're already going to be people going on about the sjw agenda

I'm giving people here for example who are giving legitimate personal reasons benefit of the doubt and don't go on about feminism ruin everything

Or I'm naive

Permanently A

I've liked all the episodes this season but this one felt a little flat. The beats were predictable and I think the weak A-plot with no B-plot to fall back on hurt this episode a lot.

If it isn't entertaining you stop watching.

If it gets consistently bad, then I will, but it hasn't yet IMHO. I just felt this week's episode was particularly bad and some people haven't been all that pleased with the previous episodes either. Nothing wrong with that. Even the best shows can have a few duds now and then.

And yeah, blind fanboy, that's exactly what I am.

You tried to shutdown any negative discussion by claiming that the show was some divine gift and implied that it was impossible for the show to even be mediocre. That sounds like a blind fanboy to me.

I'm thinking this season might become a lot better in retrospect, as in when it's complete.

The big pay-off joke in Vindicators 3 not only had the entire episode devoted to setting it up (including cutting a B-Story to develop it more thoroughly), it was honestly being set up in Episodes 2&3 as well with the rising tension between Rick and Morty, the sense that Rick's trying and failing to work through family issues, etc. (This is just actual narrative build-up, I'm not even counting the sort of minor call-backs like the Neutron Bomb or Morty Adventure Punch-Card.)

I've got a feeling this is all setting up for some pretty big pay-off jokes later down the line, and this season is largely about experimenting with long-form comedy. That's my hope, anyway.

HariKari

If it isn't entertaining you stop watching. And yeah, blind fanboy, that's exactly what I am.

Being upset at friendly discussion and essentially thread whining is certainly something.

to be fair the youtube comments are fairly aware there are women writers who wrote these episodes and are blaming their dislike for the new season on them alone.

The R&M subreddit disavowed that angle from what I've seen so that seems to be a YT thing.

B.K.

I didn't think the last episode was that good until we got to drunk Rick's traps. I love the moments when we see how evil Rick really is.

Pachinko

I'm of 2 minds on this season so far, episode 1 was pretty much carrying the torch of the A+ episodes of season 1/2 but the 3 episodes since have all been missing something... and I"m not sure what exactly?

I still really like them and they have character moments that feel a bit more earned now that we've seen 20+ adventures of this alcoholic Grandpa and his increasingly nihilistic grandson. There's something darker at play here that is reminiscent of Bojack Horseman which is both good and bad , the jokes are all way darker but the show doesn't feel as funny ? Just antagonistic. Ricks an asshole ... but we've all known that since pretty early on and now everyone around him in the show is starting to realize this fact too. I hope it's building to a nice pay off or perhaps the writing team strikes a better balance going forward. The Unity episode from season 2 was one of my faves , it was super SUPER dark but hilarious too.

So ... I feel like a simpleton but maybe all that's missing is that there aren't as many jokes per minute and the ones that are in there aren't quite as good this time around because they came out swinging so hard with this show that it's hard to top themselves joke wise so story and character depth is being adjusted instead ?

Basically I can see why some have soured on this season , it took a long time to complete and at face value it's less funny than the last season. I'm hoping perhaps things will improve on rewatch maybe ?

Crocubot right after he thought he had the right answer is adorable

BT1HY6v.png

Crocubot was the best of the Vindicators. And the only one that didn't go out like a bitch.

"Did you fall in to a vat of redundancy?" had me rolling

I liked one million ant-man the best though I think, him casually shooting hoops while his lover was getting in a fight with ghost train was great

I've enjoyed every episode this season, only finding 2 to be the most safe and boring of the bunch. Surprised to see negativity about it honestly, and I wonder if its a side effect of the show getting so popular and the previous two seasons being so adored and rewatched.

Also One Million Ants was the best.

HaakonHaakonsen

Neo Member
Episode 1 was classic R&M.

Episode 2 was weak.

Episodes 3 and 4 were enjoyable for me, but never laugh out loud funny.

Personally, R&M is at it's best when it doesn't focus on story or narrative arcs. I love callbacks and references, but I don't feel the need for any kind of character progression. Just give me random hi jinks with a clever plot device and absurdist humor.

So I went back and watched season 1 and 2 again.

The only good episode of season 3 is the first one.

2,3, and 4 are alright, but compared to the stuff in the first two seasons, they are terrible.

It's like they had some crazy dude writing season 1 and 2, and now they have a guy that is trying to act like a crazy dude writing season 3. It's not convincing.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Personally, R&M is at it's best when it doesn't focus on story or narrative arcs. I love callbacks and references, but I don't feel the need for any kind of character progression. Just give me random hi jinks with a clever plot device and absurdist humor.

Every episode this season had those things. You just don't want it to focus on "story"? I don't get it. Which episode in the series, in your opinion, was your favorite?

Top Bottom