• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ricky Gervais: Armageddon - Netflix Special Christmas 2023

John Bilbo

Ricky Gervais dishes out controversial takes on political correctness and oversensitivity in a taboo-busting comedy special about the end of humanity.

--

I had a decent laugh. The special had a nice relaxing flow to it.

The content was pretty much standard stuff for Gervais. Nothing new under the sun but I didn't mind. It felt quite cozy actually and the runtime just flew by.

Would recommend.

Sorry but as a fan of some of his other work and a massive standup fan in general, this was just fucking lazy and painful most of the time.

It absolutely coasts on a tired, boring 2 Offensive 4 U routine. Sometimes there aren't even punchlines or actual jokes to discern, it's just "insert stuff woke people find offensive randomly and wait for the oh no he didn't laughs".

It just feels bored, tired and lazy overall. It reminded me of having to listen to that one "comedian" uncle at a wedding everyone has to tolerate.

GrinWithoutaKat

Neo Member
I feel like there's very few actual jokes in this one. Most of the time he's saying anti-liberal stuff that is getting some loud "Yeah" reactions from the audience, but they're hardly laughing out loud. He knows that sort of thing will make him popular and make money regardless if it's comedy or not. I used to love him too, and still consider The Office one of my favourites.

mitch1971

He is becoming a bit of a parody of himself. He seems to have one bulk of knowledge that he just regurgitates every show. A comedian who likes being risky but always seems to qualify some of his jokes with 'oh, I'm not having a go, but...'. Well you are, that's what a comedian does. Either stand by it or change your topics of comedy.

His series After life just became a grown man who was all 'oh woe is me, a human I knew died. Let's make every other person feel like shit around me.' Show starts, feed the dog, go to work, moan, turn on the laptop to watch my dead wife again. The same episode over and over.

Feels like the split with Merchant was the turning point for his output.
Any reasons why they split?

Last edited:

DKehoe

It seems that they want to do different things, which is understandable after they worked together for so long. There have been rumours they fell out but there's no actual confirmation of that and they've both denied that's the case. The royalties from The Office mean neither has to worry about money for the rest of their lives so they don't necessarily have to work together. The Office, Extras and the XFM radio show are all incredible. And, to me from what I've seen and heard, neither have managed to produce something on their own that comes close to those. But they're both free to do what they want. Gervais is regularly retweeting the same clips of Afterlife so it does seem like he's proud of the stuff he's made so good for him.

HoodWinked

The illegal immigration stuff was good but ya it's overall pretty weak. This year we had Soup to Nuts and Beautiful Dogs those specials were incredible, even Chappelle's might not surpass these.

Chittagong

Gold Member
The problem is that laughing at woke people is not edgy anymore, it has become a common sense response. I did enjoy the blue haired hetero queer bit though.

John Bilbo

The problem is that laughing at woke people is not edgy anymore, it has become a common sense response. I did enjoy the blue haired hetero queer bit though.
Yeah I hope for next year's special he and other comedians pick up on some new topics and fresh material.

He is becoming a bit of a parody of himself. He seems to have one bulk of knowledge that he just regurgitates every show. A comedian who likes being risky but always seems to qualify some of his jokes with 'oh, I'm not having a go, but...'. Well you are, that's what a comedian does. Either stand by it or change your topics of comedy.

His series After life just became a grown man who was all 'oh woe is me, a human I knew died. Let's make every other person feel like shit around me.' Show starts, feed the dog, go to work, moan, turn on the laptop to watch my dead wife again. The same episode over and over.

On the other hand, After Life had the therapist, who is one of the greatest characters ever.

But yeah, too schmaltzy for my tastes.

Yeah. You have to be super original or interestibf by to pull it off today. What a rich target it was for 2013-2021 stand-up, though.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Didn't see this special, but watched his Supernature show the other day. Though it was good overall, but the back half drags on and he kept laughing at his own jokes.

I dont follow his career, but the small number of times I've seen him do stuff, I fond his material overall funny and a good reflection of how ape shit silly modern day people are with SJW and politics.

Top Bottom