• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ridiculous Fishing: A Tale of Redemption |OT|

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
I think I'm almost "done" with the game. Plenty of fun, definitely recommend it. See myself playing this for a while for leaderboard attacks, which weirdly enough doesn't allow you to participate until you get to the last area of the game. But it makes sense why

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Tilt and touch. Seems fine to me, tilt never really bothered me though

It's fine on iPhone, terrible for me on iPad which is where I game and I always do it with the device placed somewhere (table/stand/lap/whatever) which doesn't suit tilt based controls very well. I will have to pass on this one for now, regrettabily.
By all means I don't want them to pass on what they thought the best way to build their gameplay because it doesn't suit a platform very well (imo) but of course since they're also supporting said platform it's fair to judge how the game performs on there as well.

SmokyDave

I picked it up on the strength of the title alone. Only played about ten minutes so far but I'm definitely digging it.

Edit: loving the music.

Ninja Dom

I've only just been educated by the Ninja Fishing cloning.

Thing is I've spent hours & hours on Ninja Fishing over the past year. I'm interested to see if this game is actually better than Ninja Fishing even though Ninja Fishing stole the complete idea.

Dash Kappei

Plays fantastic on the Mini.

Really???!!!

Can you expand a bit on this? Do you usually like/are fine with tilt-based games?
I've been avoiding it cause of my despise for tilt till now and I'd be playing on the Mini as well.
For refernce: I hate (on iPad) Burn the Rope, Tilt to Live and Super Monkey Ball.

Sorry if I clogged up the thread with this stance of mine guys, this will be my last I promise. It's just that I really like what I've seen/heard so far and it's hard to resist but my iTunes credit is down to its last leg :p

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Enjoying so far, very compelling 'one more go' feel to it.

I'm playing on a regular iPad, by the way - I get some of the tilt complaints on bigger devices, but holding it a bit further away tends to alleviate this for me.

colinp

Banned
Really???!!!

Can you expand a bit on this? Do you usually like/are fine with tilt-based games?
I've been avoiding it cause of my despise for tilt till now and I'd be playing on the Mini as well.
For refernce: I hate (on iPad) Burn the Rope, Tilt to Live and Super Monkey Ball.

Sorry if I clogged up the thread with this stance of mine guys, this will be my last I promise. It's just that I really like what I've seen/heard so far and it's hard to resist but my iTunes credit is down to its last leg :p

Hah, I don't like tilt games. I don't like Burn the Rope, Tilt to Live or Monkey Ball. Even tilt driving games I find abhorrent. As bad as on screen joystick controls as far as I'm concerned.

Really, the tilt sections here are pretty quick and just a part of the game. I dunno, feels good to me. I was surprised a bit, too.

wetflame

Pizza Dog
Picked this up, love the art style, the twitter feed thing is pretty neat too. Only had a quick go as I'm at work so haven't listened to the music yet, but had a couple of goes at it and it's all really intuitive. The tilting seems to work a little better in this than in Ninja Fishing and I like the firing at the fish after too, all very satisfying.

Noticed that there are some fish in the fishopedia that say they "prefer the day" or "prefer the night" so it'll be interesting to see if real-world times play into the game. Would be nice if so, adds a little extra something to the game.

SmokyDave

Yeah, this is the business. Passed it round the office and now everyone's downloading it.

Really???!!!

PM me your email and I'll gift you a copy.

Really???!!!

If you end up trying it can you let me know what you think, I seem to share your opinion on tilt gaming and i'll be playing on a mini too.

Cheers

Lucifon

Also can't stand tilt control in games but the GAF consensus certainly seems strong on this one. It's a shame I can't trial apps on my iPad like my Lumia920, that's one of the few things MS really got right with their app store.

Bought this and am enjoying it on my iPhone 4S! That chainsaw hook is really useful for going deeper. And buy the Uzi as soon as you can, makes shooting a lot of fish easier.

colinp

Banned
Bought this and am enjoying it on my iPhone 4S! That chainsaw hook is really useful for going deeper. And buy the Uzi as soon as you can, makes shooting a lot of fish easier.

I'm finding all the upgrades to be very useful, but the chainsaw and Uzi definitely help out at the start.

Dash Kappei

Hah, I don't like tilt games. I don't like Burn the Rope, Tilt to Live or Monkey Ball. Even tilt driving games I find abhorrent. As bad as on screen joystick controls as far as I'm concerned.

Really, the tilt sections here are pretty quick and just a part of the game. I dunno, feels good to me. I was surprised a bit, too.

Ok, that's pretty encouraging. Leaning more and more towards a purchase

Yeah, this is the business. Passed it round the office and now everyone's downloading it.

PM me your email and I'll gift you a copy.

That's a very generous offer but I'd feel bad taking advantage of it knowing I wouldn't know how to repay you in the future since you can't gift apps unless you do it by credit card and not iTunes credit (how stupid is that?!). Plus we had a stupid little "argument "the other day (although I clarified a few things yesterday but you probably missed it) so I'd feel like a jackass getting a gift from you on top of that ;)
Btw, this seems done on purpose but you won the daily raffle over at the GAF iOS Challenge, I'll pm you the prize later today. :))

If you end up trying it can you let me know what you think, I seem to share your opinion on tilt gaming and i'll be playing on a mini too.

Cheers

Will sure do!

Also can't stand tilt control in games but the GAF consensus certainly seems strong on this one. It's a shame I can't trial apps on my iPad like my Lumia920, that's one of the few things MS really got right with their app store.

Yeah I'm a bit disappointed to find out there's no Lite version to try. I'd like for game without a demo to have a time-limited (say, 30minutes) way of playing a title and after that they'd lock the app forever till you pay the unlock.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Sound in the launch trailer is not at all pleasant, is that how the game sounds?

SmokyDave

I like the Akimbo Uzis more than the Minigun, I reckon. Time to save for Akimbo Miniguns.

That's a very generous offer but I'd feel bad taking advantage of it knowing I wouldn't know how to repay you in the future since you can't gift apps unless you do it by credit card and not iTunes credit (how stupid is that?!). Plus we had a stupid little "argument "the other day (although I clarified a few things yesterday but you probably missed it) so I'd feel like a jackass getting a gift from you on top of that ;)
Well, if you change your mind just let me know. I don't need repaying. As for the 'other' thing, pffft, bygones. Life's too short!

Btw, this seems done on purpose but you won the daily raffle over at the GAF iOS Challenge, I'll pm you the prize later today. :))
Woah! I never win anything, awesome.

Alpha_eX

Is there a leaderboard for highest flung fish? I've got one at 16873~ and still going... I'm hoping it will suddenly hit the moon or something.

Zia

Is there a leaderboard for highest flung fish? I've got one at 16873~ and still going... I'm hoping it will suddenly hit the moon or something.

Nope. There are two leaderboards, one for depth and one for money, accessible once you've completed the game.

Zia

Ok-maybe I'm dumb, but what determines the time change? It doesn't seem to be real-time...

Huh. I had assumed it was, so I'm not sure.
I caught my Night Horse at about midnight EST, and my Day Horse a little over an hour ago.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
Well I must have clicked through the explanation and/or am an idiot because I can't really figure out the controls. I know to press the screen to cast but the lure comes back up really quickly (~12). I feel like I'm supposed to be pressing something to get it to go deeper.

Artadius

Well I must have clicked through the explanation and/or am an idiot because I can't really figure out the controls. I know to press the screen to cast but the lure comes back up really quickly (~12). I feel like I'm supposed to be pressing something to get it to go deeper.

Use tilt to avoid as many fish going down so you get as deep as possible. Then on the way back up you snag as many fish as possible.

jlevel13

Really? Yeah, you missed the point of the game! Tilt to avoid fish while you are going down. Once you hit a fish your line starts coming up - tilt to hook fish to your hook. Once the fish get to the surface, you have to shoot them (touch the fish). It's simple!

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
Use tilt to avoid as many fish going down so you get as deep as possible. Then on the way back up you snag as many fish as possible.

Really? Yeah, you missed the point of the game! Tilt to avoid fish while you are going down. Once you hit a fish your line starts coming up - tilt to hook fish to your hook. Once the fish get to the surface, you have to shoot them (touch the fish). It's simple!

Hahaha, I did totally miss the point. Thanks.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
So basically...[ending spoiler]
this is a game where you send your father to heaven using a gun.

OK then.

But seriously, fun game :)

Alpha_eX

I don't like the way most iOS games are endless runners. This is a great game, don't get me wrong but after putting an hour or two in and finishing it you're left with an endless runner. It wouldn't be so bad but after you hit your depth, you have to wait AGES to come back to surface and shoot all the fish. There should be a restart button, frustrating to try beat your depth score and have to wait ages for stages 2 and 3 of a run.

Love the art style, music is haunting, reminds me of Ecco and Spelunky..

okno

do some fish take money away when you kill them?

Jellyfish do, those bastards. The guy at the bottom of Stormy Seas is a real asshole :mad:

Love this game. Wasn't feeling it when I first started playing last night (on my mini), but then I looked up and it was three hours later. First thing I did when I woke up? Played this game.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
I have everything unlocked but havent seen the ending yet. Mostly just going for a high score now, lol. Wish there was a retry option though

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
As someone who generally can't get into iOS games, I will say that Ridiculous Fishing is fucking awesome. I'm having a blast with it. Gahd damn.

Top Bottom