• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ridley Scott Says Hard R Rating for Alien: Covenant

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah fair, I guess Alien 3 was more of what I wanted from an Alien movie than Aliens was - although to elaborate on this point, the original 'wooden monk planet' just sounded incredible!
ellis-world1.jpg

What is this? Wooden monk planet? Never heard about this.

ElTopo

Banned
Yeah fair, I guess Alien 3 was more of what I wanted from an Alien movie than Aliens was - although to elaborate on this point, the original 'wooden monk planet' just sounded incredible!
ellis-world1.jpg

The original Vincent Ward script had issues as well. It opens exactly the same with Hicks and Newt dead and Ripley the sole survivor. It also didn't have guns. So right there, most people who hate Alien 3 for those reasons would still hate the Ward version. It also had some continuity issues with there being multiple kinds of Aliens (not sure if these are confined to dream sequences or not) plus a monk performs an exorcism on Ripley, who then coughs up the fetal Queen who then crawls down the monk's throat, Ripley is the sole survivor and takes off in an escape pod.

TheXbox

I've been talking about this movie for going on over a decade now.

Trust me, I've heard it.
You people are crazy. Tell me why Alien 3 is good. Tell me one thing about Alien 3 that is good besides a couple nice shots, Charles Dance, and Ripley's death (which I grant was actually a fitting end for her character).

edit: this came off as a kinda harsh but it's not. I tried so hard to like it but it's just so damn boring. I want to see what you see in it.

You people are crazy. Tell me why Alien 3 is good. Tell me one thing about Alien 3 that is good besides a couple nice shots, Charles Dance, and Ripley's death (which I grant was actually a fitting end for her character).

edit: this came off as a kinda harsh but it's not. I tried so hard to like it but it's just so damn boring. I want to see what you see in it.

It nicely ties in themes of characters coming to terms with death, the production design is good, the religious prison planet is cool, I dig the bleak tone, and Charles Dutton is just as good as Dance

D.Lo

Every item in the Alien franchise has been worse than the last one.

Yes, Promethues was worse than AVP2.

TheXbox

Okay, I have an actual thought on Alien: Covenant: Is Sigourney going to be in this? I remember when Blomkamp was doing a thing but not this thing he said nothing after Aliens was canon. But now this is the thing. So what's up? Is this still the journey of a lady and a talking head on a spaceship?

It did, but I figured you were just goofing.
It was one of those goofs where it was a goof but the goof was also concealing a deeper truth.
alien ^3 makes me insecure

It nicely ties in themes of characters coming to terms with death, the production design is good, the religious prison planet is cool, I dig the bleak tone, and Charles Dutton is just as good as Dance
I look at these things and you're right. But they also killed Newt and Hicks in the opening. And it is also super boring. So I guess this is the impasse every Alien fan comes to with Alien 3 and they decide whether or not they're okay with that first point and whether or not they have the same visceral reaction I did to the pacing of the film.

D.Lo

Prometheus was pretty bad but worse than AVP2? That's just crazy talk.
AVP2 is a cheesefest that looks like a cheesefest and knows it is a cheesefest.

Promethues is a much worse cheesefest that looks beautiful but thinks it is Kubrick.

jonnyp

http://www.avpgalaxy.net/2016/01/14/ridley-scott-says-hard-r-rating-alien-covenant/

Really good news consider at this point in Prometheus's development the R rating was still up for debate, with a PG13 cut made along side it, and the decision to release the R rated version not made until after filming. Not sure what Gaf's stance is on Prometheus, but I thought it was the third best in the series and personally can't wait for some more big budget R rated sci-fi. :D

Prometheus was a big stinking pile of turd. I have no confidence in Covenant being any good.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Okay, I have an actual thought on Alien: Covenant: Is Sigourney going to be in this? I remember when Blomkamp was doing a thing but not this thing he said nothing after Aliens was canon. But now this is the thing. So what's up? Is this still the journey of a lady and a talking head on a spaceship?
No, there's no Sigourney Weaver.

It's David on a new planet, when a human ship arrives hoping to colonize. Ridley Scott's big goal is to play out a story similar to Paradise Lost, and he says that the planned new trilogy (beginning with Covenant) would lead up to Alien and he has some [presumably stupid] idea of including connections to Ripley.

dosh

not sure what relevance an R-rating has in the face of an absolutely dogshit script.

Alien 3 is also a fantastic movie, fuck the haters.
Absolutely. It was good and the Assembly Cut made it great.
I also love Alien 3 for its development history. Some of the earlier concepts for the setting and the story were crazy stupid. Some were fascinating (the wooden monestary).

duckroll

No, there's no Sigourney Weaver.

It's David on a new planet, when a human ship arrives hoping to colonize. Ridley Scott's big goal to play out a story similar to Paradise Lost, and he says that the planned new trilogy (beginning with Convenant) would lead up to Alien and he has some [presumably stupid] idea of including connections to Ripley.

I hope they have a deep and complex revelation in the second movie where the creators talk about how only humanity can save itself from the sin we unleashed on the universe, and they create a savior for that purpose... a woman who will redeem humanity..... crafted from the DNA of Elizabeth Shaw.

duckroll

DerZuhälter;192260513 said:
He literally won an award for The Martian not even a week ago.

He said he hasn't made a good movie (subjective), not that he hasn't won an award (objective)!!!!

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
I hope they have a deep and complex revelation in the second movie where the creators talk about how only humanity can save itself from the sin we unleashed on the universe, and they create a savior for that purpose... a woman who will redeem humanity..... crafted from the DNA of Elizabeth Shaw.
Probably something like that, yeah. Or a 'religious' prophecy of sorts to that effect.

Chiggs

Gold Member
I don't know, I found Alien 3 to be more enjoyable than Aliens. It was the bravest film in the series, it's willingness to kill off characters at any moment and the atmospheric prison setting just made for a super tense film. Better developed characters too

Alien 3 is garbage. Shit script. Shit budget. Development hell. Fincher personally hates it.

What more can be said?

Chiggs

Gold Member
Honestly I really liked alien 3 ressurection should get more hate for it is an abortion.

Alien 3 was such a stunning drop in quality from Alien and Aliens, how can anyone hold what came after it even remotely accountable? Alien 3 turned the series into a joke.

David Fincher said:
No one hated Alien 3 more than me; to this day, no one hates it more than me.

Rktk

Alien 3 is garbage. Shit script. Shit budget. Development hell. Fincher personally hates it.

What more can be said?
The development going the way it did with hardly any pre-production time and lack of directorial control, Fincher hating the experience doesn't mean there aren't many things to like about the Assembly Cut, which goes a long way to redeeming a bad movie. It's worth reading about how that cut came about, Fincher was not directly involved but it was made using cut material and his notes, Fincher hasn't even seen it.

It gets a lot of love on GAF for good reason and gives a hint at something that had potential to be great. Have you seen the 144 minute cut? Plenty of people don't like the way Ripley's story went in general and I can understand that, those people weren't going to like Alien 3 regardless.

If you haven't seen a goodly number of his movies, can you really make any claims about his abilities?
I mean there hasn't been a decent Alien movie since Aliens, and Prometheus - which was supposed to be a return to form, was so putrid I have a hard time getting excited for another Alien movie.

zma1013

Prometheus, the movie where the map guy gets lost and someone decides to play with the most dangerous looking snake anyone's ever seen.

R-rating for the new Alien means dick all if the script is bad. Anyone read it yet, is it out there? Is it bad?

aerts1js

I mean there hasn't been a decent Alien movie since Aliens, and Prometheus - which was supposed to be a return to form, was so putrid I have a hard time getting excited for another Alien movie.

The only thing really wrong with Prometheus was its script. Everything else was really well done.

andycapps

Well, that's one good thing. Jury is still out on if he's going to keep trying to go a different direction than what the fans want.

And fuck Alien 3. Melodramatic trash.

that's fine, but it doesn't matter if the movie is an unmitigated car-wreck of lousy dramatic contrivances, hilariously illegible editing, characters that change their motives on the fly to keep the illogical plot going, with actors thoroughly lost in roles that have them stand around brooding until they go off the deep end in the third act(sans Fassbender da God, of course).

I'm sure it'll be gorgeous! Fantastic production design and all that, and hey hard R rating...but that doesn't make a good movie. Just like Alien 3.

The only thing really wrong with Prometheus was its script. Everything else was really well done.
Yeah but that's a pretty big deal in a movie especially when it's as bad as it was. I'd also say the acting outside of Idris and Fassbender was really poor.

Syntsui

Is Prometheus really that bad? I just saw it has Fassbender and Idris Elba, how can you fuck up with these guys?

aerts1js

Yeah but that's a pretty big deal in a movie especially when it's as bad as it was. I'd also say the acting outside of Idris and Fassbender was really poor.

I disagree that the acting was bad; I thought on a whole it was well done. However, I agree with you on the script.. pretty crucial.

Still, if a decent script is given to Scott he's fully capable of making a great movie as he's proved since Gladiator.

Is Prometheus really that bad? I just saw it has Fassbender and Idris Elba, how can you fuck up with these guys?

-Built on a lousy premise("lets make a prequel to Alien")
-a dramatically dysfunctional script, structured around asking questions to find answers but never gets around to asking questions or thinking about the answers
-Every one of its talented actors given non-characters with motivations that change on a dime with the illogical plot, except Fassbender
-Editing that gets increasingly erratic in the second half, before completely shitting the bed in the final 15 minutes to render all the climax muted and unintellgiable

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom