• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ridley Scott's Prometheus Trailer

Status
Not open for further replies.
With obvious, flailing CGI. The movie was still worth seeing and better than I expected, but reading about how the script was gutted and the effects replaced last minute is heartbreaking. It could have been great, not merely decent.

Agreed. Im really looking forward to seeing what special features are on the Blu Ray.. Im also curious if the commentary will have some insight of what happened to the movie and what could have been.

ibxUuHvswScJnL.gif

You guys complaining about Coke in Alien 3 seem to forget that Weyland-Yutani was bought out by Wal-Mart in Alien: Resurrection. Obviously, a lot of the other big corporations are still around and it's natural that WY had a partnership with Coke to supply their prison planets with that refreshing great taste.

Anteater

http://i.minus.com/ibxUuHvswScJnL.gif[IMG][/QUOTE]

Gotta admit that's one of the most memorable scenes I've seen in any films... Aliens was kind of full of these, but it probably has to do with the fact that aliens were one of the first films I've seen in a theatre when I was a kid

Apparently Jenette Goldstein (Vasquez) mistakenly came to the audition dressed as a migrant worker, and this joke is a reference to that.

That's what everyone thought but apparently not true, that line was in the script from the beginning (according to one of the documentary features).

No, it was the superior theatrical cut.

Agreed.

The Alien and Aliens theatrical cuts are both far superior to the directors' cuts. Ridley Scott didn't even want to do a director's cut of Alien; Fox goaded him into doing one.

As for the Aliens director's cut, I don't care for any of the scenes on LV-426 prior to the rescue team arriving at the colony. It spoils a lot of the surprise, and makes Newt less interesting.

I already asked this once, but didn't get an answer.

In several reports before he started shooting, Scott mentioned he wanted to do two prequels to Alien, with the second being around 5 years set before Alien. Is that set in stone or depending on Prometheus' box office results?
I got no idea how Scott's deal from FOX looks like. Anybody got any insights?

S1kkZ

DerZuhälter;33909843 said:
I already asked this once, but didn't get an answer.

In several reports before he started shooting, Scott mentioned he wanted to do two prequels to Alien, with the second being around 5 years set before Alien. Is that set in stone or depending on Prometheus' box office results?
I got no idea how Scott's deal from FOX looks like. Anybody got any insights?

i think he wanted to do 2 r-rated prequels with a huge budget. fox was against it and wanted pg13 films with a lower budget. then the project(s) slowly transformed into prometheus.

i think he wanted to do 2 r-rated prequels with a huge budget. fox was against it and wanted pg13 films with a lower budget. then the project(s) slowly transformed into prometheus.

After seeing the trailer I hope some studio exec said: "That's the dumbest thing I ever did .. ever." and jumped out of the window.

S1kkZ

DerZuhälter;33910361 said:
After seeing the trailer I hope some studio exec said: "That's the dumbest thing I ever did .. ever." and jumped out of the window.

why? i think ridley wanted 500 million dollars as a budget which is insane for an r-rated scifi horror film.

Snaku

Banned

So instead of 2 r-rated Alien prequels, we get one pg-13 sort of but not really Alien prequel. Thanks Fox.

So instead of 2 r-rated Alien prequels, we get one pg-13 sort of but not really Alien prequel. Thanks Fox.

Personally, I'm glad we're only getting one film, and that it's only tenuously connected to the Alien franchise.

The Alien series has been toxic for almost two decades. The less it's connected to the original series, the better.

why? i think ridley wanted 500 million dollars as a budget which is insane for an r-rated scifi horror film.

Well looking back on Robin Hood, and how its epic end battle looked like, for a mere 200 Million, I think 500 Million for 2 movies consisting of considerably more CG and made in 3D sound reasonable.

Agreed.

The Alien and Aliens theatrical cuts are both far superior to the directors' cuts. Ridley Scott didn't even want to do a director's cut of Alien; Fox goaded him into doing one.

As for the Aliens director's cut, I don't care for any of the scenes on LV-426 prior to the rescue team arriving at the colony. It spoils a lot of the surprise, and makes Newt less interesting.

I'd actually love a cut of Aliens with some of the DC stuff added, while leaving other stuff out. I can't believe the sentry gun scene didn't make the final cut originally, it's a brilliant scene.

I'd actually love a cut of Aliens with some of the DC stuff added, while leaving other stuff out. I can't believe the sentry gun scene didn't make the final cut originally, it's a brilliant scene.

The only thing that should be cut is the Hadley's Hope scene. Everything else is gravy, which is why even with the Hadley's Hope scene in, the Special Edition > Theatrical Cut.

nomis

Are you serious? I'm glad that the Special Edition is all I know of this film. First on dvd, now bluray.

Mlatador

Banned
The only thing that should be cut is the Hadley's Hope scene. Everything else is gravy, which is why even with the Hadley's Hope scene in, the Special Edition > Theatrical Cut.

Agreed! I hate that Hadleys Hope scene soooo much. Everything else adds to the movie.

They should release a directors cut plus without it.

jett

D-Member

nope, everything that was cut should remain cut, it all adds up and messes with the pace

theatrical aliens uber alles

alphaNoid

Banned
I think the that after years of watching the theatrical cut I was very excited to see the special edition. When I watched it, I loved it.. but as time went on I did realize that it does diminish from the pacing of the story in general. The entire Hadleys Hope scene is unnecessary but was fun to watch, if even only one time for the geek appeal. In the end I enjoy the theatrical cut more.

I'm trying to remember but the scene in the dropship where Hudson goes over the weapons array, knives, sharp sticks etc... thats the extended cut right? And if so.. that shit should have been in the goddamn theatrical cut. Fucking awesome scene.

jett

D-Member
I think the that after years of watching the theatrical cut I was very excited to see the special edition. When I watched it, I loved it.. but as time went on I did realize that it does diminish from the pacing of the story in general. The entire Hadleys Hope scene is unnecessary but was fun to watch, if even only one time for the geek appeal. In the end I enjoy the theatrical cut more.

I'm trying to remember but the scene in the dropship where Hudson goes over the weapons array, knives, sharp sticks etc... thats the extended cut right? And if so.. that shit should have been in the goddamn theatrical cut. Fucking awesome scene.

Yeah that's from the special edition. In my opinion of all the added cuts should've just been deleted scenes material on the dvd. The scene you mention completely interrupts the badass drop into the planet.

GhaleonEB

*fap*

Yeah that's from the special edition. In my opinion of all the added cuts should've just been deleted scenes material on the dvd. The scene you mention completely interrupts the badass drop into the planet.

Agree on that scene, the theatrical is perfectly paced as it is. The special edition has some stuff that does help the story, but at the cost of pacing. I like both versions, just for different reasons.

I finally watched Alien last night and It's left me less hyped for Prometheus.

I like the mystique behind the derelict spacecraft, and I'm sure that will go away once this prequel explains everything.

I finally watched Alien last night and It's left me less hyped for Prometheus.

I like the mystique behind the derelict spacecraft, and I'm sure that will go away once this prequel explains everything.

It's not the mystique for me, It's the atmosphere. That sense of discovery. The answers for why the derelict is there are irrelevant to those scenes. I get sucked into the mindset of those characters. No matter what Prometheus explains, those scenes will always feel awe-inspiring.

Knowing what happens to Hicks and Newt in Alien 3 does not ruin any tension in Aliens for me, even though it ultimately winds up being in vain.

Insane Metal

Gold Member
I've just re-watched Aliens and I gotta say I changed my mind. I remembered the movie from when I was young, so my thoughts were different in relation to movies etc. You know what I mean.

Anyway, Alien is the best film. Even being 7 years older than Aliens, the special effects on it look better (IMO), the overall design is much more remarkable, and the suspense really makes it stand out.

Aliens on the other hand has lots of cheesy dialogue, and lacks the remarkable visuals from the first movie. But it has some nice stuff too, like the sound of the guns, which is incredible (I think it's the best), the scenes with the queen, etc.

Anyway both movies are still amazing today, but Alien is superior and holds up to its age better than Aliens.

Of course, just my opinion.

Ecotic

Has anyone noticed the many Angkor references in the architecture displayed in the trailer? Angkor was one of the most badass ancient civilizations, and since Prometheus is a movie exploring mankind's history or something, I thought it was a very cool touch.

promethesus-movie-poster-teaser-011-620x918.jpg

Bayon.jpg

Dany

Banned
How is Noomie Rapace in SH2? Only seen her in the dragon tattoo films and she was great in them, I'd like to see more from her, hopefully she's great.

Chiggs

Gold Member
Agreed.

The turret scenes are kind of cool, though. Those should have been left in the theatrical cut.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom