• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Alien Prequel Dead? Now...Prometheus?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr. Sam

Posted in the Alien prequel thread but new movie, new thread I guess. I'm on board.

Not liked Ridley's stuff for quite some time.

CygnusXS

will gain confidence one day
Thank Christ. Turning it into an original project can only be a good thing. Is it still two movies though? Doesn't sound like it.

MetalAlien

Banned
He seemed kind lost on his direction for Alien. I guess it's a good thing. He should have just made a horror movie out of it like he did with Alien. Thinking too much.

Titan! to whose immortal eyes
The sufferings of mortality,
Seen in their sad reality,
Were not as things that gods despise;
What was thy pity's recompense?
A silent suffering, and intense;
The rock, the vulture, and the chain,
All that the proud can feel of pain,
The agony they do not show,
The suffocating sense of woe,
Which speaks but in its loneliness,
And then is jealous lest the sky
Should have a listener, nor will sigh
Until its voice is echoless.

Titan! to thee the strife was given
Between the suffering and the will,
Which torture where they cannot kill;
And the inexorable Heaven,
And the deaf tyranny of Fate,
The ruling principle of Hate,
Which for its pleasure doth create
The things it may annihilate,
Refus'd thee even the boon to die:
The wretched gift Eternity
Was thine--and thou hast borne it well.
All that the Thunderer wrung from thee
Was but the menace which flung back
On him the torments of thy rack;
The fate thou didst so well foresee,
But would not to appease him tell;
And in thy Silence was his Sentence,
And in his Soul a vain repentance,
And evil dread so ill dissembled,
That in his hand the lightnings trembled.

Thy Godlike crime was to be kind,
To render with thy precepts less
The sum of human wretchedness,
And strengthen Man with his own mind;
But baffled as thou wert from high,
Still in thy patient energy,
In the endurance, and repulse
Of thine impenetrable Spirit,
Which Earth and Heaven could not convulse,
A mighty lesson we inherit:
Thou art a symbol and a sign
To Mortals of their fate and force;
Like thee, Man is in part divine,
A troubled stream from a pure source;
And Man in portions can foresee
His own funereal destiny;
His wretchedness, and his resistance,
And his sad unallied existence:
To which his Spirit may oppose
Itself--and equal to all woes,
And a firm will, and a deep sense,
Which even in torture can descry
Its own concenter'd recompense,
Triumphant where it dares defy,
And making Death a Victory.

Ok who has that fuck awesome list of movies releasing in 2012? Time to update it!

In my eyes, Ridley Scott has earned the right to create whatever the my little pony fuck he pleases.

big_z

So he's taking the alien prequel and turning it into a new franchises based partially on the alien mythology. Not a bad idea IMO. hopefully now he can have his R rating.

I hope angelina or Theron aren't cast. The cast needs to be new or relatively unknown.

pringles said:
20 bucks you didn't read the linked article.

Yes I did. I read it in the other thread where this was posted first. I am saying this will still have a link to Aliens. Probably in the same universe that was developed as a back story and came to be its own thing. Much like they say in the article.

I thought we were going to get an awesome Mythology movie based on the title

proCS.jpg

But still awesome.

exarkun

soundscream said:
I thought we were going to get an awesome Mythology movie based on the title

proCS.jpg

But still awesome.

You never know. It could be about the fire inherent in people's souls.

Discotheque said:
I told y'all this guy's the new shit right here. Fassbender leads the way. Most hyped for his movie "Shame" though.

I hope Angelina Jolie takes third role. Prefer her over Theron.

Ew. She is very attractive, no doubt. But I find her to be a mediocre actress -- haven't been able to take her seriously since that Alexander film...

Edit: ...not too sure about Theron either. You win this one.

Dead

well not really...yet
Mere hours after the announcement that Michael Fassbender is locked in to play
an android with rumoured links to Aliens' Bishop series
, our insider sources have revealed that he's not the only one with strong links to the series' past.

"They’ve built the ‘space jockey’ cockpit at Pinewood as seen in the original Alien film, so it definitely takes place in the same world as Alien", they told us.

"Despite that press release that seemed to indicate there were no aliens in the movie, the familiar HR Giger-style aliens do appear. Big ones apparently."

link

Grain of salt and all that, but I think in the end theres a good chance that this movie DOES take place in the alien universe

Patrick Klepek

furiously molesting tim burton
If the new hints are true, it sounds like an Alien prequel without the baggage of being actually called an Alien prequel?

Also from the same story:

"Part of the film will be shot in Morocco. I’ve heard that some sort of archeological dig where they discover alien DNA takes place there and that DNA gives them the coordinates for an alien world."

"The main spaceship in the film will be piloted by an enormous head which I assume will be CGI. Yep, sounds weird but I assume some of the technology will be sort of biomechanical."

AICN ruminates about how its sort of the same thing as "The Face of Boe" from Dr. Who.

Dead

well not really...yet
Patrick Klepek said:
If the new hints are true, it sounds like an Alien prequel without the baggage of being actually called an Alien prequel?
I think there's still a very good possibility of this being "Space Jockeys: The movie"

It could also not be a prequel at all, and take place many years later in the Alien universe.

I mean, theres a lot of ways to read the announcement that the movie is "no longer" an alien prequel...

Clevinger said:
Unfortunately, it's with a script by Damon Lindelof.

I don't see what's so unfortunate about this. Almost any given episode he wrote of Lost was great. The problem (for some, but not me) was how they connected. I'm pretty confident he can write a great 2 hours of entertainment without it getting too convoluted. Plus it seems that Scott is working a lot on the script too and I imagine his influence will be good for Lindelof.

So far I'm liking everything we're hearing. It appears to be a pseudo-prequel\re-imagining if that last report is to be believed. Which is fine by me.

ROFL

Hail Britannia
http://movies.sky.com/exclusive-prometheus-plot-reveal-aliens-are-in-it
Not confirmed, but still... [oops, just saw you already posted it, but nobody seemed to pay much attention and I wanted to gloat a bit:]

ROFL said:
*may* be deliberately planting tantalizing clues such as 'DNA' having a possible double meaning to keep the speculation going...

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=25419756&postcount=367

Also, somewhat related:
http://www.slashfilm.com/jerry-bruckheimer-producing-space-film-written-jon-spaihts/

Dead

well not really...yet
http://www.bleedingcool.com/2011/02/24/prometheus-rumours-unbound-how-the-alien-aliens-factor-in/

New rumours...

Remember how the alien took on canine qualities after gestating in a dog? You may even suppose that the first film’s alien was so recognisably humanoid because it had grown in a human. The same applies here: generation by generation, the creature mutates. As Prometheus begins,
the xenomorph is not too recognisable. Sure, it has that alien DNA that Scott and Fassbender teasingly referred to, but it’s missing… well, it’s missing human DNA.

I did ask if the film is really going to be called Prometheus. The answer? “Maybe not. Though they are calling it that for a reason.”

Sadly, I was not able to confirm the rumoured use of an 8-foot animatronic Space Jockey, but the way I was told “there’s nothing we’re calling a space jockey here” just led me to believe, perhaps erroneously, that it would be the same character, or at least species, but with a new name.

Dead

well not really...yet
FunkyPajamas said:
I thought the game was already confirmed to be called Prometheus and not related to Alien (not a prequel anyway).
Pretty much everyone and everything has been pointing to the movie in fact being tied to Alien, in some shape or form, regardless of that original PR

Fassbender himself confirmed it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom