• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wkd BO 05•19-21•17 - Express elevator hauls Alien to top, passing everything

border

If Dunkirk has a huge opening weekend, I will be surprised as all hell. It just feels like there is really no interest in historical war epics anymore.

Valerian looks like a guaranteed bomb, but I am curious if it will be really popular overseas. Fifth Element did really well in Europe, and it's got an Avatar-ish vibe that may make it appealing in China.

tonka

I feel like I'm looking forward to all the wrong movies because I like the directors. Valerian does look very pretty, but I'm not convinced the fifth element will strike twice. And that budget...
But hot fuzz is my favourite movie since the start of the century, so I'm quite excited about baby driver. I'll be disappointed if it turns out to be sent out to die.

Yeah those Dunkirk numbers are surprising for me as there just doesn't seem to be a ton of buzz around it.

Then again it is Nolan and that alone draws some interest. I'm probably just also underestimating the older crowd who will likely keep turning out for it over the weeks giving it some good / decent legs

kswiston

Gitesh over at Box Office Guru pointed out that this is the 20th anniversary of The Lost World shattering the opening weekend record by over 35% with its $72M 3-Day Memorial Weekend take.

Now we are getting fairly close to matching that take on Thursday previews alone.

Adjusted for ticket inflation, The Lost World's opening would be about $140M. Less than Guardians 2 a few weekends back.

Slayven

I have no interest in Atomic Blonde unless it is a stealth reboot of Ultra Violet

You guys will get to mourn Baby Driver long before having to worry about Atomic Blonde.

They should have sent Baby Driver out back, it would have been a less crueler than that new date

kswiston

GotG2 should pass GotG1's worldwide total this weekend. It will also pass GotG1's domestic total on Monday.

EDIT: Shortly after that, Spider-Man 3 will be bumped out of the top 10 domestic Superhero films.

When Spider-Man 3 released, the Raimi films were #1-3 on the top grossing superhero list. As of Next week, that list will be 4 Iron Man and friends films, 2 Batman films, 2 Spider-Man films, Deadpool, and GotG2.

border

Am I the only one that thinks Atomic Blonde looks like crap? It sure doesn't look like John Wick 2.

I'm sure it's possible that Atomic Blonde is all style and no substance trash, but it's pretty impossible to not enjoy the hell out of those trailers.

The fighting isn't as convincing as John Wick, but god damn is it nice to have fight sequences without shaky cam and quick cuts every other second.

Slayven

1. Someone needs to redo that pic with EA killing studios and make it Sony killing movies/franchises.
    June 16 (Friday)

47 Meters Down
    All Eyez on Me
    Pixar's Cars 3
    Rough Night
    The Book of Henry (Limited)
    Kill Switch (Limited)
    Maudie (Limited)
    Once Upon a Time in Venice (Limited)
    Score: A Film Music Documentary (Limited)
    June 21 (Wednesday)

Transformers: The Last Knight
    June 23 (Friday)

The Bad Batch (Limited)
    The Beguiled (Limited)
    The Big Sick (Limited)
    June 28 (Wednesday)

Baby Driver
    June 30 (Friday)

Amityville: The Awakening
    Despicable Me 3
    The House
    13 Minutes (Limited)
    2:22 (Limited)
    The Little Hours (Limited)

July 2017
    July 7 (Friday)

Spider-Man: Homecoming
    A Ghost Story (Limited)
    Hickok (Limited)
    July 14 (Friday)

War for the Planet of the Apes
    Wish Upon
    Lady Macbeth (Limited)
    City of Ghosts (Limited)

Look at this, should have gone to redbox

kswiston

Deadline is now expecting GotG2 to beat Baywatch this weekend.

They have Pirates 5 at $62.3M over 3-days and $76.3M for the 4-day weekend. They think that GotG2 is heading to $20.4M over 3-days and $26.6M over 4-days. Baywatch is expected to make $26.1M over the 5-day.

kevin1025

Banned
Look at this, should have gone to redbox

I plan on seeing Wonder Woman, It Comes At Night, The Beguiled, and Baby Driver in June. Then again, I'm not a general movie going audience and love seeing a bunch of things. Although since I'm in Canada, It Comes At Night and The Beguiled probably will be shoved around and then drop with no warning in July.

But yeah, Baby Driver's move to June is likely a death blow, but at the same time... I get to see it earlier.

kswiston

Baywatch is tanking. $50M domestic finish could end up being optimistic. Some trackers had the 5-day hitting that total.

EDIT: Also, Deadline has Alien's 3-day weekend dropping 66%

overcast

You guys will get to mourn Baby Driver long before having to worry about Atomic Blonde.

Releasing an Edgar Wright joint a week after TF5 and two days before 3 other wide releases, one of which is Despicable Me 3. Bold strategy, Sony.

It's a shame too. Baby Driver is fantastic and I think is easily Wright's most accessible film for audiences.
Yeah this is awful news. I don't know what the fuck Sony was thinking moving it up. Something like that needs to gain legs through word of mouth. Summer season is just too cluttered.

overcast

Baywatch is tanking. $50M domestic finish could end up being optimistic. Some trackers had the 5-day hitting that total.

EDIT: Also, Deadline has Alien's 3-day weekend dropping 66%
Goddamn, Baywatch is a complete thud. I thought the trailers + Rock would draw people in. Felt like it would be a decent R rated hit like Neighbors/21 Jump Street.

kswiston

If it doesn't get killed by Wonder Woman next weekend, it looks like Guardians has a good chance at hitting $375M+ now. The 4-Day Memorial Day weekend should be at least $5M higher than Civil War's last year. Civil War made another $30M after this weekend.

For the life of me, I'll never figure out why Sony/Tri-Star moved it out of mid-August. At least then, the only thing you had to worry about was Annabelle and week 2 of Dark Tower. Now? It gets to be fight between Bayformers and Despicable Me 3.

EDIT: My only guess is they saw the great reviews, and thought it could carry BD to a good "counter-programing" opening.

Slayven

If it doesn't get killed by Wonder Woman next weekend, it looks like Guardians has a good chance at hitting $375M+ now. The 4-Day Memorial Day weekend should be at least $5M higher than Civil War's last year. Civil War made another $30M after this weekend.

Did you see it yet?

If so, that
Charlie 27
bump

Pachimari

What is a 4-day Memorial Day weekend? Is it because people have a holiday this Thursday, Friday, Saturday and Sunday? And then it's expected people go to the cinema these days? I'm legit curious as I'm trying to get into this whole Box Office thing.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Release date won't matter when the name of the movie is Baby Driver

It's a terrible title
I agree. I thought all the time it was a joke title for Baby Boss.
Then I realized that it was a movie on its own, but I thought it was a silly comedy or something.

kswiston

Man, I remember when dead man's chest came out and just dominated the box office. Now this one won't even do $200m domestic.

If you account for 3D surcharges, IMAX, etc, Dead Man's Chest had a bigger audience on opening weekend than PotC5 will get total domestically. DmC went on to have a greater than 3x multiplier, so we're talking about less than a third of the audience that the series enjoyed a bit more than a decade ago.

Alien: Covenant dropped 80% on Friday-to-Friday, grossing only $3.0M yesterday. Ridley Scott isn't getting more than a $50M budget if he makes another one.

kswiston

Things are looking better for Wonder Woman presales in China. There seems to be interest in thr IMAX preview they are doing on May 31st. WOM from thst will likely determine the run.

Top Bottom