• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rihanna shows Miley how it's done in new music video. (NSFW)

Status
Not open for further replies.

royalan

Oh god, and you actually believe this too.

That was terrible shit right there in that video, holy hell.

I do, because there's no lies in that post.

--Rihanna is hot.

--That video is hot.

--Rihanna is a pop trailblazer.

--If this was a rap video the reaction here would be different despite it being virtually the same thing.

You know, I thought the whole "I'll act as if this post is irrational and wrong without actually saying why it is because that would require me to craft an argument beyond my means" trend died with the birth of Web 2.0.

Scooter

Banned
So you know precisely why they are calling them these names. Good on you. I don't. I pretty much said I did not. .

But you do, don't you? Why would you even mention that example if you didn't know who's to blame for that situation? In fact the next sentence immediately after that is:

I just pointed out their being afraid and frustrated could be worsened by this culture, and that you were not even considering such implications (ANY implication in fact) just because you think it'd be close minded and uncool to criticize what I'm told is "mainstream urban culture".

Which pretty much accuses this sexual "culture".

So let me summarize. I explain why your example actually proves you're part of the problem so then you pretend to take the high road saying that we don't know who's to blame while in the exact same post you contradict yourself by blaming this "culture". C'mon son.

I, for the life in me, will never understand how grinding, then daggering and now twerking became a thing in that people can actually watch it as entertainment. It's grotesque but I guess there's just a market for this shit. Thirsty-ass freaks man!

It's just taking strip club/dance club stuff mainstream so sheltered folks can cry.

That video is as hollow, unlikable and uncharismatic as the artist who queefed it out in the studio.

Beyonce, please come back and save female R&B (again)

so that shit is legit because of this?

rihanna-reaction-miley-vma.gif

holy shit lol

Maiar_m

But you do, don't you? Why would you even mention that example if you didn't know who's to blame for that situation? In fact the next sentence immediately after that is:

Which pretty much accuses this sexual "culture".

So let me summarize. I explain why your example actually proves you're part of the problem so then you pretend to take the high road saying that we don't know who's to blame while in the exact same post you contradict yourself by blaming this "culture". C'mon son.
Two words. "Could" and "worsen". They do not mean "are the cause of". This could explain why your responses seemed so far off to me. Take it private if you wish to pursue, I'm logging off and I don't want to bump the thread later on.

gotoadgo

I do, because there's no lies in that post.

--Rihanna is hot.

--That video is hot.

--Rihanna is a pop trailblazer.

--If this was a rap video the reaction here would be different despite it being virtually the same thing.

You know, I thought the whole "I'll act as if this post is irrational and wrong without actually saying why it is because that would require me to craft an argument beyond my means" trend died with the birth of Web 2.0.

- She is when she's not dressing and acting like a complete and utter tart for attention, which sadly is most of the time these days.

- That video was wet garbage left out in the sun.

- As someone mentioned earlier, 'singing' a song that was written by someone else isn't trailblazing.

- You're probably right on that one.

RM8

No. You don't have to like every twerking video put out to not be a prude. Lord knows I don't like every video put out. I like this particular one because it's well shot, Rihanna got some GREAT dancers to feature, and I actually love the song. This is actually a well-done video and, as I said in the PopGAF thread, Rihanna is really the only pop female in the game with the balls to make a video like this. I mean, Miley is just as brazen, but where Rihanna one-ups her is that Rihanna can actually make a video like this and look hot in it. She has a deeper understanding of the culture this all comes from.

However, if you see a video of a female popstar dancing provocatively and refuse to see the culture and/or artistry behind it because you're so blinded by the sight of scantily-clad females and your own preconceived ideas about female propriety that all you can think is "trashy slut" then, yes, you are very much a prude. #SorryBoutIt
Sorry, this is silly. First, I feel like you're implying I should a least like -some- musical act that involves twerking, or I'm a prude. Second, you're just fanboying hardcore about your favorite girl, that's not relevant. Third, you can find something trashy and classless without being a prude.

royalan

- As someone mentioned earlier, 'singing' a song that was written by someone else isn't trailblazing.

It is if it inspired other pop entertainers around the globe to sing like you, sing songs like the ones you recorded, specifically bid on songs that you've turned down, and launched the careers of the producers you chose to work with.

Sorry, this is silly. First, I feel like you're implying I should a least like -some- musical act that involves twerking, or I'm a prude. Second, you're just fanboying hardcore about your favorite girl, that's not relevant. Third, you can find something trashy and classless without being a prude.

1) I'm not implying that you have to LIKE twerking.

2) I'm not fangirling at all. Fangirling would imply that what I'm saying here is illogical, and you've yet to demonstrate that.

3) Of course you can say something is trashy without being a prude. But if you label an entire style of dance and aspect of urban/black culture "trashy" simply because it features women dancing provocatively, and if you refuse to even acknowledge the roots of the entertainment you're judging BECAUSE it features women dancing provocatively, then you're being a prude. Almost textbook definition. I'm not saying YOU specifically are guilty of all of this, but a lot of people in this thread certainly are.

MIMIC

Banned
Wait a minute, wait a minute.

Rihanna JUST released the video to this song?! I remember hearing this song on the radio last year!

EDIT: Oh. Didn't realize that it wasn't her official channel. Never mind

FStop7

Banned
how am I supposed to twerk to this

Very slowly

Rihanna JUST released the video to this song?! I remember hearing this song on the radio last year!

No, it's taken months for this video to come out. Something about going through more than 1 director, etc.

royalan

No, this video did just come out today.

It was filmed way back in May, but she had a falling out (read: twitter fued) with the director of the video, which severely delayed its release.

The song is pretty much done on radio. She's just releasing it now for her fans.

Derrick01

Banned
I think I understand why they're trying to out-shock people all of the time with increasingly whorish behavior. The music keeps getting even worse and more disposable so they've got nothing left to keep people interested. It's like a bunch of desperate (and not much better looking) Marilyn Mansons running around unchecked.

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016

The video just got released today and the song came out last year.

Not sure what you are saying. This is not an old video.

MIMIC

Banned
Very slowly

No, it's taken months for this video to come out. Something about going through more than 1 director, etc.

No, this video did just come out today.

It was filmed way back in May, but she had a falling out (read: twitter fued) with the director of the video, which severely delayed its release.

The song is pretty much done on radio. She's just releasing it now for her fans.

Heh, thanx.

Artemisia

Banned
I think I understand why they're trying to out-shock people all of the time with increasingly whorish behavior. The music keeps getting even worse and more disposable so they've got nothing left to keep people interested. It's like a bunch of desperate (and not much better looking) Marilyn Mansons running around unchecked.

so wise

royalan

This song hit the Top 20 of the Hot 100 and #1 on the R&B Charts without a video or even a live performance.

Seems like people are plenty interested in the music.

MIMIC

Banned
The video just got released today and the song came out last year.

Not sure what you are saying. This is not an old video.

I originally thought that it was a new video (which I thought was strange, seeing as how the song is pretty old). But when I noticed that the channel wasn't "RihannaVEVO", I figured that it was just some old upload by a fan.

Royalan and FStop7 cleared it up for me.

Kibbles

Wait the music video for this song is just now coming out? I feel like it was ages ago it was on radio

Edit: ah okay. Well this was a worthless post. Sorryz

Well, I was just contemplating how many female artists had songs about their money in comparison to male artists (the whole girls and gaming thread brought that on), and so this is perfect timing. Thank you, Rih.

Also, more ass than Miley. But that's not hard.

Song is meh - whoever said that this is a better Bandz... I frown upon you. That is all.

SaviorX

I will never get enough if twerking. As a young male, I condone it. It's embarrassing, but Riri's gettin paid to do it.

People who think Rihanna is just viewed as a musician and nothing more are being naive. Young women idolize her and I have seen TONS of girls mimic the star tattoo (behind the ear) that Rihanna and Chris Brown wear.

People get inspiration and model their self-esteem from certain popular figures. But that doesn't mean they have the mental capacity to separate the corporate fiction from reality. We got ratchets flexin on Instagram and starting ambiguous twitter beefs. At the end of the day, it's all about getting attention. Girls eat this trashy stuff up and will continue to gobble it in spades. I'll sit back while they pour it up and just enjoy the mind control.

Twerk Miley Miley twerk......

royalan

I will never get enough if twerking. As a young male, I condone it. It's embarrassing, but Riri's gettin paid to do it.

People who think Rihanna is just viewed as a musician and nothing more are being naive. Young women idolize her and I have seen TONS of girls mimic the star tattoo (behind the ear) that Rihanna and Chris Brown wear.

People get inspiration and model their self-esteem from certain popular figures. But that doesn't mean they have the mental capacity to separate the corporate fiction from reality. We got ratchets flexin on Instagram and starting ambiguous twitter beefs. At the end of the day, it's all about getting attention. Girls eat this trashy stuff up and will continue to gobble it in spades. I'll sit back while they pour it up and just enjoy the mind control.

Twerk Miley Miley twerk......

I don't know how much I buy into this.

I think there's something to be thought about in the question of whether music serves as a manipulator and/or influence on culture, or if it's merely a reflection of it.

Personally, I don't think Rihanna goes out there with the intention of being that type of influence, or even doing things that have been choreographed to influence people. Rihanna, and the people around her, have been pretty open about how much control Rihanna actually has over her career decisions at this point, and that she pretty much approaches her career from the vantage point of "what do I want to do?" It's really admirable, and a type of freedom very few female pop stars are afforded these days.

It's why I think Rihanna is one of the better influences in pop, and partially because whenever she's asked about being a role model she's very outspoken about how that is NOT something she wants, because she's just a girl herself and living her life. And I think that mentality has a lot to do with why Rihanna is so popular, because she naturally embodies what is popular in culture right now, and not because she's directly manipulating it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom