• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rime comes out in May. Costs £10 more on Nintendo Switch.

NeoRaider

Hey everyone,

I just finished reading through the last 13 pages or so of responses to this, so forgive the late response here.

First, it has been a long road getting to this point where we can announce a release date. We started the development of the Switch version as early as we could and it is a very resource intensive endeavor to make that port. We want to ensure that the experience on the Switch is the best it can be, which is the reason for the split release dates. It is not a decision we came to lightly, but it is a decision that had to be made.

On May 26th of this year, Xbox One, PlayStation 4 and PC players will be able to get their hands on RiME and begin their adventure. Physical copies for both PlayStation 4 and Xbox One will be available for $29.99 in North America and at various price points around the globe.

The Nintendo Switch version will come out at a later date which we will announce when we finalize development. We began working on the Switch later into development than the other platforms. Items such as engine optimization, the complex lighting system, and ultimately the general port process all take time, and we did not want to release the Switch version before it was ready. We are doing everything we can to minimize the delay.

The price point for the Switch version is something everyone is obviously interested in as we've announced that it will be higher than other console versions. When we released our suggested retail price, we took into account many things, including development, production, and manufacturing costs. When the decision was made to do a physical release for the Switch version at $39.99 it was done so based on those factors. That is the bottom line; we are not attempting to take advantage of a freshly released console, a specific group of fan's affinity for games, a lack of games on a specific console, or any of those factors, it all comes down to the cost to get it out the door.

I completely understand why some people are upset by this, and I want you to know this was not a decision we made lightly. It was a very hot topic here, and ultimately a decision had to be made. I am reading every single post and understand where the varying thoughts and feelings come from. I am sharing the sentiment from the community with our team, so please keep sharing your feedback.

Thanks,
Tim

Hi. Why is PC (and console) version more expensive in Europe compared to $ price??

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
Hey everyone,

I just finished reading through the last 13 pages or so of responses to this, so forgive the late response here.

First, it has been a long road getting to this point where we can announce a release date. We started the development of the Switch version as early as we could and it is a very resource intensive endeavor to make that port. We want to ensure that the experience on the Switch is the best it can be, which is the reason for the split release dates. It is not a decision we came to lightly, but it is a decision that had to be made.

On May 26th of this year, Xbox One, PlayStation 4 and PC players will be able to get their hands on RiME and begin their adventure. Physical copies for both PlayStation 4 and Xbox One will be available for $29.99 in North America and at various price points around the globe.

The Nintendo Switch version will come out at a later date which we will announce when we finalize development. We began working on the Switch later into development than the other platforms. Items such as engine optimization, the complex lighting system, and ultimately the general port process all take time, and we did not want to release the Switch version before it was ready. We are doing everything we can to minimize the delay.

The price point for the Switch version is something everyone is obviously interested in as we've announced that it will be higher than other console versions. When we released our suggested retail price, we took into account many things, including development, production, and manufacturing costs. When the decision was made to do a physical release for the Switch version at $39.99 it was done so based on those factors. That is the bottom line; we are not attempting to take advantage of a freshly released console, a specific group of fan's affinity for games, a lack of games on a specific console, or any of those factors, it all comes down to the cost to get it out the door.

I completely understand why some people are upset by this, and I want you to know this was not a decision we made lightly. It was a very hot topic here, and ultimately a decision had to be made. I am reading every single post and understand where the varying thoughts and feelings come from. I am sharing the sentiment from the community with our team, so please keep sharing your feedback.

Thanks,
Tim

Thanks for the response. As a prospective Switch owner without a current gen console or a capable gaming PC, I think I will have to skip the game altogether. There are enough high-quality games out there in the next few months that are able to achieve price parity and offer an equivalent amount of entertainment value for my time and dollars.

CronoShot

Hey everyone,

Thanks,
Tim

While we certainly appreciate the response, this is the same non-answer we got on Twitter.

It's fine that the game is being released later than the other systems. Ports take time, it's understandable, and Switch is brand new. But raising the price of the game by 30% for (from the consumer's point of view) no real reason, you can understand why many people may feel disgusted.

I see what you're saying. For better or for worse though the expectation has been created, especially by devaluation in recent years of game pricing for non-AAA games and for digital games and games of certain genres, that if a game can be offered for one price on one platform digitally it can or should be offered for the same price digitally across all platforms on which it's available, or offer some additional incentive if not. Here Switch players are explicitly told that if they had another system, they could get the exact same game more cheaply digitally or physically. That seems to cause cognitive dissonance at best. As others have suggested, even if the game was coming later on Switch, if the price was the same digitally and even let's say $5 more expensive physically I don't think people would have balked too much. It's the digital price difference that seems to be sticking on people's collective craw in particular. With Puyo Puyo Tetris for example the game was cheaper digitally than physically and the physical copy came with bonuses of some kind so people weren't nearly as up in arms about it because they had the opportunity to get the same game for the same price.

I hope that makes sense, just kinda thinking out loud here. I have no ill will towards the publisher, I've been looking forward to the game, I just can't wrap my head around paying $10 extra for the same game when I can buy it more cheaply on another platform. Yes, Switch has the ability to play on the go, but presumably the performance and visuals are better on other platforms - each platform has its own incentive.
Yeah, I agree with you. It would be good to just have parity across all platforms, and if a physical version needs to be more expensive then be transparent about it.

I don't want to give the impression that I'm defending this pricing structure, I think it's lame af and is probably pushing me away from this version of the game, but I can just see the business reasoning behind it

legend166

Vague comments about different costs are flimsy as heck. Especially development costs. That's what the first $29.99 is for! Especially when you've already developed the game. It doesn't cost you $29.99 and then an extra $10 to port it to the Switch.

I mean, not to blame. the poor community guy who is obviously just doing his best defending a stupid and exploitative decision.

Tagyhag

This is what irks me. Why does the digital price have to be the same as the physical price? If the issue is the cost of making carts vs. discs, then I can understand that. However, that's not the case for digital games. There should be no reason for that to cost more. It really feels like NS owners are being taken for a ride...especially when other companies are releasing games for the same price across all systems.

While I agree, how many games do you know that are cheaper digital than physical at launch?

EDarkness

While I agree, how many games do you know that are cheaper digital than physical at launch?

Puyo Puyo Tetris is more expensive physically than it is digitally. I went physical because I wanted the keychains, but players can get the game for the same price as the PS4 version if they choose. This is one off the top of my head.

sammex

Vague comments about different costs are flimsy as heck. Especially development costs. That's what the first $29.99 is for! Especially when you've already developed the game. It doesn't cost you $29.99 and then an extra $10 to port it to the Switch.

I mean, not to blame. the poor community guy who is obviously just doing his best defending a stupid and exploitative decision.

Exactly, costs of porting the game are offset by potentially larger sales from adding another platform.

Probably would be significantly cheaper if they hadn't committed to a physical version. Manufacturing some proprietary card for a game can't be cheap.

Dariuas

RiME Community Manager
While we certainly appreciate the response, this is the same non-answer we got on Twitter.

It's fine that the game is being released later than the other systems. Ports take time, it's understandable, and Switch is brand new. But raising the price of the game by 30% for (from the consumer's point of view) no real reason, you can understand why many people may feel disgusted.

I manage our Twitter so I am being consistent! :)

As I mentioned there are varying factors that go into the price increase. I cannot obviously go into detail as to all of the factors (some of which I don't even have vision into), we did not do this out of malice as I mentioned. Development, production, and manufacturing costs are all factors in the decisions making process and this was the decision that was made.

maxcriden

This is the issue really at its core, I think. We don't have enough a big sample size for non-AAA or non-major publisher day and date physical releases since they've been sparse in recent years. So it's hard to know what the right answer is for physical and digital parity, but since you're buying less of a product when it's the digital copy it inherently feels bad to pay the same for digital and physical, with the complicated exception that we've been conditioned to be totally ok with it when it's a major publisher's game, Nintendo games included. I think where the cognitive dissonance comes into play here is the combination of physical and digital parity with the price difference between platforms.

(But as a recent example, just for what it's worth, and perhaps as others said this could be the exception that proves the rule, Puyo Puyo Tetris is cheaper digitally than physically. I'd mention Shovel Knight but that one wasn't day and date physical.)

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Well we got a response, but it doesn't mention anything about digital being priced the same.

Apparently there was a serious discussion on price and they arrived at the extra $10. Well consider this your focus group; we're not thrilled. I don't care who it is. I'm not getting nailed for an extra $10 just because I choose the Switch version. I'll just buy for a different platform or not at all.

Once you accept this with one publisher you can expect others to follow. No thanks.

Silly me! Sorry if I offended Nintendo, you guys or your force. I hope you will find in your hearts to forgive me.
it's true. anyone who calls you on your shitposting is a part of a corporate defence force. the conspiracy is real. you're not paranoid, you're the only one that's *sane*

OryoN

Seriously? If development cost is such an issue, why doesn't the game costs more on PS4 where it obviously spent the majority of its development time? Everyone already knows that process sure as heck didn't go as smoothly as initially planned either. It's like Switch owners have to eat the bulk of the cost... for a port job. A late one at that! Wii U owners being so vocal about that same treatment over the years didn't raise a single red flag within the company? None?!

Just admit there's an obvious pricing strategy - based on user base and library - involved. A more attractive price for consoles with more users and massive software library, and higher price for a console with less of each. The idea is that a higher price and less software competition would offset poorer expected sales. It's not a strategy I like or would employ, but it's nothing new. Still, its a heck of a lot easier to swallow than; port job being more expensive than initial ground-up development. Anyway, good luck! I genuinely want the game to do decently on Switch, for everyone's sake. This matter seems like a hindrance though.

EDarkness

I manage our Twitter so I am being consistent! :)

As I mentioned there are varying factors that go into the price increase. I cannot obviously go into detail as to all of the factors (some of which I don't even have vision into), we did not do this out of malice as I mentioned. Development, production, and manufacturing costs are all factors in the decisions making process and this was the decision that was made.

It's not a good decision and I think will ultimately reflect poorly on the NS version of the game. Luckily there's still time to fix it.

Oregano

Well we got a response, but it doesn't mention anything about digital being priced the same.

Apparently there was a serious discussion on price and they arrived at the extra $10. Well consider this your focus group; we're not thrilled. I don't care who it is. I'm not getting nailed for an extra $10 just because I choose the Switch version. I'll just buy for a different platform or not at all.

Once you accept this with one publisher you can expect others to follow. No thanks.

Yup fuck that noise. I've mentioned it previously but publishers managed Vita versions of games just fine and a lot of the time they were even cheaper despite being cart based.

Hey everyone,

Thanks,
Tim

Vague reasoning for a price increase is not gonna help you guys sell this game to switch consumers, especially with a later release date. If physical is somehow more expensive for you guys then you know going full digital is fine, many other dev's achieve price parity and have to contribute resources towards switch development as well. I want to play Rime and my preferred platform for it would certainly be the switch but out of principle, I won't be buying this game anywhere if you choose to hike up the price like this.

Silly me! Sorry if I offended Nintendo, you guys or your force. I hope you will find in your hearts to forgive me.

Whatever mate. I give Nintendo shit when they're in the wrong, but you're just being a chode. I dont have any personal interest in Nintendo other than digging some of their games. No need to try to play the victim when you came in acting like a goof.

There are a lot of things I don't like, but I dont go into threads about them with the sole intention of shitposting. Grow up.

Strakt

Wow... chill man. I understand you are upset but dont take it out on me.

Its all good if you cant afford one man, no need to shitpost

Divi9yo.png

Cyborg

Whatever mate. I give Nintendo shit when they're in the wrong, but you're just being a chode. I dont have any personal interest in Nintendo other than digging some of their games. No need to try to play the victim when you came in acting like a goof.

I know what I said. I consider Switch to be overpriced and its getting an overpriced game. A perfect match in my opinion. You can disagree or have another opinion fine by me.

I own all Nintendo systems except Wii and Switch (sold mine today) cause its just a mess of a console.

My interest in the game has died.

I would have purchased it on the switch for portability, but not going to pay extra than other consoles.

Not going to purchase the came on another console either.

If the game was to receive a positive reception I may pick it up during a steam sale a long time down the line.

Really hope this doesn't set a precedent with other developers.

jonno394

Hey everyone,

Thanks,
Tim

Doesn't explain the reason why digital is the same hiked price as physical retail. Development and production on other versions is covered by the $30 price so why is development and production other than physical retail not covered by the same price.

This is a pr disaster for this game and it won't surprise many here if it flat out bombs on switch now.

If the carts are so expensive (bullshit, it is not that expensive) then skip the physical release on that platform. You dont have to gauge switch owners on this release if you care about them and want them to feel valued.

Will not buy period. Tests and price increases just because Switch is a new console are not cool.

I know what I said. I consider Switch to be overpriced and its getting an overpriced game. A perfect match in my opinion. You can disagree or have another opinion fine by me.

I own all Nintendo systems except Wii and Switch (sold mine today) cause its just a mess of a console.

Then move the heck on. You've made your point in multiple threads, but now you're bringing your baggage with you to other topics. You sold the switch, we don't need to know the details yet again.

Someone thinking a shitpost is a shitpost doesn't make them a ninty fanboy. Really nothing else to say at this point. You think you're being clever, but it's just looking sad.

Audioboxer

That's some right shite right there.

Even if some people want to say this is Nintendos fault, the devs should take the heat to then be forced to go to Nintendo and say this isn't on. If Nintendo don't budge, then no more Nintendo releases.

Still probably would have been $39.99. The extra cost probably came from hiring additional people to get the Switch version done as quickly as possible.

The way I think it's working is either the Switch version ~2 months later (just a guess) at $39.99 or the Switch version 6 months later at $29.99.
The reward they would receive for getting a few more developers on board to create a version for a new platform, is that you gain a new user base and have the opportunity to sell the game to a wider set of consumers. When you then try to charge extra to a subset of consumers to justify that additional effort, then it makes no sense for those who would inevitably feel hard done by due to the cost difference compared to other platforms.
It's not like the other platforms were developed for free...They still had to put in effort and had costs to create the game, a small additional effort/cost for a wider audience without a bad pricing strategy would inevitably have brought them more sales.
Now that this pricing debate is in play, those additional sales are less likely when the game can be bought cheaper elsewhere - especially for multi console gamers.
In this instance, I'll vote with my wallet and buy a game from Devs/pubs that treat their consumers properly.
Puyo Puyo and Snake Pass are good examples of this strategy.

Yup fuck that noise. I've mentioned it previously but publishers managed Vita versions of games just fine and a lot of the time they were even cheaper despite being cart based.

Vita carts were cheaper than what Nintendo charge.

There are serveral factors that I'll put below.

1) Digital generally has to be match Physical so not to piss off the still very important retail. This will be around for a while.

2) The cost of the Switch carts (which, by the way, are fucking outrageous) means that devs/publishers HAVE to increase the price of the game so they can return a profit. Remember, on a £50 game, the dev doesn't see £50. It's much, much less. Then take into account the additional cost of the manufacter (in this case, Switch carts), margins are much tighter. Then on top of this is the added risk of releasing on a new platform with a small user base, and you have a challenging situation.

Cyborg

Then move the heck on. You've made your point in multiple threads, but now you're bringing your baggage with you to other topics. You sold the switch, we don't need to know the details yet again.

Someone thinking a shitpost is a shitpost doesn't make them a ninty fanboy. Really nothing else to say at this point.
You are right :) I will go on with my life now. Thanx :)

Kilks my interest to know I'm being exploited. Oh well there are plenty of games in the world whose devs don't operate this way.

1) Digital generally has to be match Physical so not to piss off the still very important retail. This will be around for a while.

2) The cost of the Switch carts (which, by the way, are fucking outrageous) means that devs/publishers HAVE to increase the price of the game so they can return a profit. Remember, on a £50 game, the dev doesn't see £50. It's much, much less. Then take into account the additional cost of the manufacter (in this case, Switch carts), margins are much tighter. Then on top of this is the added risk of releasing on a new platform with a small user base, and you have a challenging situation.

Thanks for sharing this. Maybe now people will be a bit more understanding of the situation smaller publishers happen to be in

What are the cost of the carts?

If the cost is outrageous skip the platform and let it die. Consumers should not be expected to eat this cost.

Do you know what the cost of the actual carts are? I'd be interested to know

Do you have the receipts for cart costs?

I get why this is a thing in the launch window, but if it carries on after let's say six months or so, in addition to the usual deal of Nintendo keeping their games high in price and quite scarce, then I'm not buying a Switch for a long time, if ever.

Linkhero1

Back up what you're saying because I don't believe it.

That reply isn't enough for me in regards to digital version of the game. I had slight interest in the game on switch but now I'll wait for used or PS plus sale

Top of the page Yuck

Top Bottom