• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rime comes out in May. Costs £10 more on Nintendo Switch.

I feel the devs know the majority will purchase the game on the PC/PS4/Xone when it releases earlier. They are looking to squeeze as much money out as possible with late adopters on the switch who have not purchased the game elsewhere.

I feel the devs know the majority will purchase the game on the PC/PS4/Xone when it releases earlier. They are looking to squeeze as much money out as possible with late adopters on the switch who have not purchased the game elsewhere.

that literally makes no sense, by releasing later, a higher price, and announcing it BEFORE any version is released, they are basically wasting the money used for switch development

A lo of people won't buy the switch version under these circumstances

Just wanted to cross post because the other thread got locked.

Based on Nintendo history in terms of controlling the supply chain, charging an arm and a leg for media, and having absurd requirements in terms of minimum number of copies printed, I have no issue believing that a pub will have to charge $10 extra to see the same revenue per copy as they do on ps4/bone/steam.

Im willing to be proven wrong, but based on what we know from the past putting this on anyone but Nintendo seems illogical.

Digital price parity is 100% a concession to their retail partner to foster cooperation.

There literally is no reason for it to be $10 more. Moving forward I guess we will start seeing different prices on all platforms based on how much investment is put into each platform? Some platforms are easier to develop for and take less development time, some have cheaper Dev Kits, but this is the first time I can remember different prices. Will devs start charging different based on that?

Also other indies have released Physical versions at a higher price than digital and it's not been an issue.

In the end they basically eat the cost difference or take a significant risk that they won't make up their investment when everybody skips the Switch version, which seems possible at this point.

axisofweevils

Holy crap! Today's real megaton is that more than two people can have the same first name.
that literally makes no sense, by releasing later, a higher price, and announcing it BEFORE any version is released, they are basically wasting the money used for switch development

A lo of people won't buy the switch version under these circumstances

Yep, it's poisoning the well ME3 style all over again.

Since this is not the norm, they should have justified the extra cost. This is not happening with other indie games, it should not happen to that game too.

In any case, I think Switch will become my go-to system for indie games because of portability, Rime might have a chance if it's very good, otherwise, just no.

I don't buy the higher production cost excuse, because even though cards cost more to manufacture, they're also paying less per box since they're smaller and use less plastic, and less shipping per game. Switch game boxes are both smaller and lighter than boxes for PS4 and Xbox One. So the cost to produce and ship the games, if higher, is much less than they're making it out to be by purely citing production costs. This is a shitty move by them and I really hope people don't just eat the $10 extra, especially digitally.

fernoca

Yeah..no dice.
Until they explain the reason, I won't be buying any version for that matter (and I don't even have a Switch).

It is a realy bullshit, everyone would be doing the same if it was the usual "because Nintendo".

At least throw a full color manual or whatever.

Makonero

It seems like Switch games across the board cost more than they should. Super Bomberman R is not a $50 game.

It's that price for the same reason that this is $10 more: greed, pure and simple. It's why 1, 2 Switch is fully priced. These companies know that there aren't a lot of options for Switch users, so they gouge.

ZAMtendo

Obliterating everything that's not your friend
It's the same game,what changes are made that justify a 10 dollar price increase per game? if you're meaning the porting cost the devs should be the ones to eat that cost

It didn't cost the devs anything extra but I'm getting a portable experience like 3DS as well as the option to play on the big screen. For those two conveniences I'll gladly pay £10 more for my Switch games...

Zambayoshi

Cartridges. It's N64 vs Playstation 1 all over again.

This is most likely the reason. Nintendo supplies the cartridges that the games are printed on, since they are proprietary.

Not quite sure why the digital Switch version wouldn't be cheaper, unless Nintendo mandates that games must have only one price point.

It didn't cost the devs anything extra but I'm getting a portable experience like 3DS as well as the option to play on the big screen. For those two conveniences I'll gladly pay £10 more for my Switch games...
So if you buy Rime on Steam you should have to pay £10 extra if you want to play it on your laptop too?

Lol

Rellik

Nintendo loves people like you.

GDGF

Soothsayer
Gonna wait this one out til the publisher comes to its senses. And if they don't I freaking have Zelda.

FoneBone

Mmmh...so, taking what KennyLinder says as fact, we have the following situation I suppose:

1) bigger publishers shouldn't have no problem in eating the carts' costs, given their wide arrange of titles and sales overall. We can see this with titles like Just Dance 2017 ($59.99) and, above all, the upcoming Lego City Undercover, a game that was around 20GBs on Wii U, so it should use a 16GB cart at least.

2) smaller publishers and, above all, smaller games have more difficulties in keeping the prices of retail versions identical to the others', due to extremely tight margins. Some could even make the choice to keep price parity, while others could not; Tequila Works / GreyBox seemingly made the latter.

If that's the case, I hope the carts' costs can decrease soon enough so smaller developers and games won't have this kind of problems.
I can believe that the economics of a retail release from a smaller publisher would necessitate a higher price point, but can't see why they're bothering with a retail release if that's the case. I'm sure they want the Zelda audience, but how much shelf space are they going to be able to get in the first place?

Dariuas

RiME Community Manager
These companies know that there aren't a lot of options for Switch users, so they gouge.

As I mentioned in my post, nothing about the decision to have a price point for Switch was done maliciously or an attempt to take advantage of the new console. It was as I mentioned the cost of production, development, and manufacturing. I know I have not been around here a long time and I understand that when I ask for you to trust ME on this it does not mean a lot, but I ask it none-the-less.

~Tim

Soph

The bitter agent applied to the cartridges is licensed by a third party skyrocketing the price compared to the tasteless blue ray discs. It's worth it man. You just have to lick those cartridges.

As I mentioned in my post, nothing about the decision to have a price point for Switch was done maliciously or an attempt to take advantage of the new console. It was as I mentioned the cost of production, development, and manufacturing. I know I have not been around here a long time and I understand that when I ask for you to trust ME on this it does not mean a lot, but I ask it none-the-less.

~Tim

Expect your game to sell far, far below expectations on Switch if you do launch it at this price. I was considering buying it for Switch, but I'd never consider spending an extra $10 on anything if I can get it for $10 cheaper elsewhere. Chances are if I buy it now, it'll be on PC, and likely during a sale. And this is a thing I hate to have to be so adamant with. I loved Deadlight. I've been hyped for this since the announcement as a PS4 exclusive. But seeing this kind of disregard for a specific userbase purely because you won't be making as much of a profit off it otherwise, is not a good look.

Futureman

~Tim

What about other indies launching physical games for the same price as other platforms? Basically every companies financial situations are different and they will just make less money on the Switch versions?

Will there be a Rime demo?

Spirited

Mine is pretty and pink
The bitter agent applied to the cartridges is licensed by a third party skyrocketing the price compared to the tasteless blue ray discs. It's worth it man. You just have to lick those cartridges.

I'm gonna lick every cartridge I get otherwise the cost would have been wasted.

Kikorin

The reason is pretty clear and it's because is a game for a new platform. Same reason because Bomberman is 50$.

Anyway I really hope people will not support this or will become the norm for a lot of time, luckily seems other indies studios are not trying to do the same.

Dariuas

RiME Community Manager
Expect your game to sell far, far below expectations on Switch if you do launch it at this price. I was considering buying it for Switch, but I'd never consider spending an extra $10 on anything if I can get it for $10 cheaper elsewhere. Chances are if I buy it now, it'll be on PC, and likely during a sale. And this is a thing I hate to have to be so adamant with. I loved Deadlight. I've been hyped for this since the announcement as a PS4 exclusive. But seeing this kind of disregard for a specific userbase purely because you won't be making as much of a profit off it otherwise, is not a good look.

I can assure you there is no disregard for a specific user base or console group. The decision was not made lightly and was made with the consideration of everything I mentioned earlier. I know it is not what people want to hear but the post I made was based on a conversation I had with the people who were part of decision-making process.

guek

Banned

~Tim

Why is it not the same price on digital then?

Was Switch development really so taxing that it required an additional $10 tax?

Dariuas

RiME Community Manager
Why is it not the same price on digital then?

Was Switch development really so taxing that it required an additional $10 tax?

It is $39.99 digitally also.

As I mentioned, it is not just development, but production costs and manufacturing costs are taken into account for the MSRP.

guek

Banned
It is $39.99 digitally also.

As I mentioned, it is not just development, but production costs and manufacturing costs are taken into account for the MSRP.

I meant why is digital not the same price as other platforms if manufacturing was the issue.

Tagg9

I meant why is digital not the same price as other platforms if manufacturing was the issue.

For the same reason no other publisher prices their digital version of the game differently than their physical version - so as to not piss off the retail stores.

ZAMtendo

Obliterating everything that's not your friend
So if you buy Rime on Steam you should have to pay £10 extra if you want to play it on your laptop too?

Lol

No because I'm not gonna get my laptop out on a train or a bus to play. Switch is a handheld, my laptop is not.

I know what point you're trying to get at. But people buy handheld consoles for the convenience of being able to play anywhere. And some wish they could play at home on the big screen (and vice versa). Here you're getting the best of both worlds. I see that as two different ways to play my games which is huge.

fernoca

For the same reason no other publisher prices their digital version of the game differently than their physical version - so as to not piss off the retail stores.
I think guek and what many also wonder is then, why are the PS4/Xbox/PC retail version priced at $30? Why don't price all retail versions at $40 then?

The only reason I can think of, is that there's currently a $40 minimum MSRP on Switch game to ensure profits.

But parity with retail can't be the sole reason, as Puyo on Switch, or Mighty No.9.. Shovel Knight (everywhere) costed more on retail and less digitally. And those retail releases also had bundled items to justify the higher price.

Aroll

The only reason I can see for this pricing, because I sincerely doubt Nintendo is taking a bigger cut than any of the other platform holders, is because Switch is the new kid on the block and development for it is clearly something that costed them extra money, and as such, they can't be sure the game is going to sell a ton of copies. So, charge more for the ones they do sell to hopefully make back dev costs with some profit.

Maybe. They could internall maybe justify it because it's a TV and portable... but that's silly. hard to know if Nintendo is why, or what. I could see why retail costs more as well, duh. Packaging, shipping, other little things.

But digital also matches it. I guess maybe for price parity? Pretty much no games are cheaper digital than physical unless it's a sale.

LordRaptor

How come the PC version is priced the same as the console versions if this decision is based upon production costs, as there is no platform fee nor certification process involved?

Top Bottom