• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rime PC performance thread

Aklamarth

Protection now calls about 10-30 triggers every second during actual gameplay, slowing game down.

If this really is true, it's beyond moronic. A behavior like this becomes anticonsumer.
Now , since the game got cracked, let's see if TW keeps their word and removes Denuvo.

Protection now calls about 10-30 triggers every second during actual gameplay, slowing game down.

If this really is true, it's beyond moronic. A behavior like this becomes anticonsumer.
Now , since the game got cracked, let's see if TW keeps their word and removes Denuvo.

If this is true, then no wonder the game was hitching and slowing down randomly. But it still doesn't explain why the console version have performance issues.

dr_rus

And then we'll see if there will actually be any difference in performance.

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
Maybe wait for real comparisons?
Well, the game definitely loads much faster now, well, at least for me. As for performance...

Unplayable mess in 1440p, frequent stutters, huge FPS drops from 120 to 54 (!!!) by just turning the camera around 360 and standing still. Almost the same I can say about 1080p - stutters from time to time, huge FPS drops for no reason at all... Anyway, yeah, looks like removal of Denuvo affected only game load times, but I don't know, maybe it's just on my rig only. Looking forward to DFs comparison video.

beeswax

Bought this last night and performance is fine here running at 1620p/TXAA, I'm not seeing any dips below 60fps and am getting solid frametimes. I have a fairly beefy system (5820k + 1080Ti) but I see other 1080/1080Ti users here reporting bad performance, even someone with an octo-core i7.

The game is definitely extremely CPU hungry, I notice just panning the camera around, all my physical cores will be at 50-60% usage and the hyperthreaded ones about half that which seems very high for a basic (albeit very pretty) game like this. I can't imagine any i5 processor coping with this kind of load well.

Maybe some of you guys with more powerful systems who are still getting poor performance need to try some of the classic PC gaming remedies:

- use RTSS to lock your FPS
- force V-sync through the nvidia control panel
- enable triple buffering in the game's menu
- set power mode to "Prefer max performance" in the nvidia control panel

luca_29_bg

Well, the game definitely loads much faster now, well, at least for me. As for performance...

Unplayable mess in 1440p, frequent stutters, huge FPS drops from 120 to 54 (!!!) by just turning the camera around 360 and standing still. Almost the same I can say about 1080p - stutters from time to time, huge FPS drops for no reason at all... Anyway, yeah, looks like removal of Denuvo affected only game load times, but I don't know, maybe it's just on my rig only. Looking forward to DFs comparison video.

Nope, it helps perfomance too, many posts about this on steam forum, but seems not for every rig. Same for me, no more slowdowns or stuttering, but i play it at 30 because i have a 7950. A a decent reduction of cpu usage too.

KainXVIII

Kaldaien doing God's work (again)
ReASON - v 0.0.2 (6/3/17)
This is a very half-hearted attempt at a Special K plug-in to address performance issues in RiME. This is not the same quality as my normal work, it doesn't attempt to preserve image quality, only to offer performance fixes where the game has no configuration options.

With this, you can disable the most complex water shaders the game uses and gain as much as 30 FPS.

https://gitlab.com/Kaldaien/SpecialK/tags/ReASON_002

gdt

At 4k perf is choppy as fuck. I can do 60 looking away from the water lol

God man bump this down to 1440 and see what's what.

dr_rus

Game got a new patch:
Hi everyone! Thanks to your feedback and input, our development teams were able to track down and fix a number of issues in the PC version of RiME, which we're releasing today in our Update 1.02. Here are the patch notes:

General:
- The game will no longer initialize VR hardware on launch.
- Fixed an issue with crashing after alt-tabbing in windowed mode on Windows 7
- There was an issue where both double- and triple-buffering Vsync were behaving inappropriately with certain hardware configurations which could lead to wild swings in frame rate. This issue should now be resolved.
- Fixed an audio issue that occurred in Stage 2 when using certain headphones.
- Fixed a few hardware specific crashes.

We're going to continue to assess present and future issues to get them taken care of in future patches. Thanks again for your support!

Schlomo

I just downloaded the patch. Triple buffering indeed seems to be working as intended now. No more hard drops to 30 fps whenever you drop a single frame.

I can play it at 4k now on my 1080ti without turning everything way down in order to assure a locked 60 fps.

Kssio_Aug

2017-05-3022_14_01-ri8yufq.png

This is so bad!! Do the game performs better now? Is it possible to achieve 60fps on max settigns (or with some minor tweaks) at 1080p with an RX 480?

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
This is so bad!! Do the game performs better now? Is it possible to achieve 60fps on max settigns (or with some minor tweaks) at 1080p with an RX 480?

Disabling the game's more demanding water shaders via ReASON and lowering screen-space reflection/shadow quality may get you there. You can always refund if performance is unsatisfactory (keep in mind that playtime racked up while in Offline Mode doesn't count against the two-hour window).

Kssio_Aug

Disabling the game's more demanding water shaders via ReASON and lowering screen-space reflection/shadow quality may get you there.

Thanks a lot. I am with the game on my wishlist expecting some solution to this, it seems this ReASON may be the solution! :)

Thanks for the info.

Disabling the game's more demanding water shaders via ReASON and lowering screen-space reflection/shadow quality may get you there. You can always refund if performance is unsatisfactory (keep in mind that playtime racked up while in Offline Mode doesn't count against the two-hour window).

One wonders why the developer hasn't done something about this in the latest patch.

Kssio_Aug

You can always refund if performance is unsatisfactory (keep in mind that playtime racked up while in Offline Mode doesn't count against the two-hour window).

Wow, really? I wasn't aware about this offline mode thing. I don't intend to exploit it, but it mught come in handy in certain situations when I buy new games with some insecurity.

beeswax

Patch 1.04 was just released which includes the following:

- Optimized Water Shaders

If the theories about how bad these shaders were are accurate, this should make for a more consistent framerate. Haven't had chance to test yet.

Top Bottom