• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RimWorld out today on Steam Early Access - Colony Manager of Love and Life and Death

Lanrutcon

Ok, lads. We're building a...
..your father just fell out of the sky? ok, but right after that we're building a...
...chickens? how many chickens just appeared? but we really need to build a...
...what? no, they don't just blow up like that. Just fix it so we can build a...
...that caravan is selling your mom as a slave? I...guess we can afford her. She could help build a...
...jesus how did BOTH our medics get mauled by that hell beaver for the love of...

And that's how it took me 2 hours to build my first dining table. The end.

Steiner84

All 26 hours. Multiple times.
Ok, lads. We're building a...
..your father just fell out of the sky? ok, but right after that we're building a...
...chickens? how many chickens just appeared? but we really need to build a...
...what? no, they don't just blow up like that. Just fix it so we can build a...
...that caravan is selling your mom as a slave? I...guess we can afford her. She could help build a...
...jesus how did BOTH our medics get mauled by that hell beaver for the love of...

And that's how it took me 2 hours to build my first dining table. The end.

well the small things are often the ones that take ages to do :D

ike_

You gotta love it when you get a space janitor to join your colony and shes absolutely unwilling to do any cleaning whatsoever.

RNWoBnC.png

She was a child star so I guess this is what I should expect. Welcome aboard.

WaterAstro

So did they tone down enemies?

I stopped playing this game because it was just a chore when enemies came. First it's a small party, then it's a big party with mortars, then alien robots just land right on top of your base.

I was done when the alien robots came.

Woo-Fu

Banned
So did they tone down enemies?

I stopped playing this game because it was just a chore when enemies came. First it's a small party, then it's a big party with mortars, then alien robots just land right on top of your base.

I was done when the alien robots came.

Never had alien robots land right on top of my base. I have had them land close enough to be a threat, and have had the version where they piss everybody off psychically until you destroy their ship. If this happens to you regularly you should keep EMP grenades on one of your guys.

You should be playing on a different difficulty level if you don't want the challenges to escalate. Otherwise the game will definitely attempt to fuck your shit up on a regular basis once you reach mid-game, lol.

Steiner84

i have a feeling the difficulty of raids has been tonesd down allthough there are more inteligent raids now.
some raids come with sappers that dig into the mountain to circumvent your killbox.

For the alien Ship: there are two ways to cheese these:
- construct a wall arround the ship and place flameable stuff inside (like wood, or construced things out of wood). get the mechs out of the ship and set the stuff on fire.
- explosive IEDs. playce IEDs arround the ship and attack it. mechs coming out step on the IEDs.

Steiner84

ike_

The wiki was dead for most of today because of bandwidth issues, and the game ranked in the top 40 of Steam's "top games by player count" statistic. Hopefully that means it's selling well, certainly deserves to.

Can't wait to see some of these mods. Auto-hunt is on my wishlist and sounds like a huge time saver.

Steiner84

The wiki was dead for most of today because of bandwidth issues, and the game ranked in the top 40 of Steam's "top games by player count" statistic. Hopefully that means it's selling well, certainly deserves to.

Can't wait to see some of these mods. Auto-hunt is on my wishlist and sounds like a huge time saver.

the biggest mods that are used by lots of people are "Expanded Prosthetics and Organ Engineering" and Combat Realism.
The first one is allready up.

nice base!

Teletraan1

Banned
I put in a solid 15 hours the first day I had this game. This game is right up my alley so far. I started kind of easy just to try and figure out the game systems and I am glad I did since I was totally lost my first go. Now the game systems make sense to me. Love all the crazy stuff that happens in this game even on easy. Perfect timing on this release too because I was trying to remember the name of this game the other day. I played prison architect to death and past the initial similarities the art is different enough to me that it isn't really an issue.

As someone who just started this last night, these comments from the other thread:

I now understand why there hasn't been more buzz about this game.

Game 1: Heat wave occurs. 1 colonist (out of 4) goes nuts. Casualties. Restart with knowledge that air conditioning is mandatory.
Game 2: incredibly early Bandit Raid with infinite "frag grenades" that insta kill turrets, blow throw stone walls and 1 shot my colonists. Okaaay then...
Game 3: Tunnel into alien hive. Giant alien spider kills everyone. Would have had to restart anyway, I guess.
Game 4: Cougar is apparently immune to small arms fire. Kills the entire firing line single-handedly. And here I was, so impressed that I randomly found a good assault rifle on the first merchant.
Game 5: Develop plague soon after recruiting my first new colonist. Use all my medicine to try and save the infected, to no avail. Uninfected develop malaria just before the plague victims die. I don't even know at this point.
Game 6: Fuck the jungle. Fuck the jungle.

This made me chuckle on account of relating quite well to it ... except for the launch on the very first game (I think I've managed to escape one planet in my many, many games of RimWorld):

CnX4xCgUkAAJqsq.jpg

"My first 25 colonies and what happened to them"

Have me dying with laughter. I'm still working out the nitty gritty of colony building so far.

Aaron D.

Spent the weekend mentally unpacking this game.

Didn't have as much time as I might have liked, 5+ hours or so.

Hot damn, this game is good. Like GOOD, good.

There's a lot of moving parts, but it's pretty intuitive. Just mouse-hovering and clicking anything and everything (both objects and menu items) brings up little text info-panes. That helps a lot. Windowed text pops up when new events unfold as well.

RimWorld is deep & crunchy, with a charming presentation and clean UI. The soundtrack is off the charts.

VERY happy thus far and I haven't even scratched the surface!

Sarcasm

My issue in every game is I don't know how to deal with the people ha!

They always go berserk or crazy. I thought building them spacious rooms with lights, plasteel bed and a plant could keep it at bay though.

They always go berserk or crazy. I thought building them spacious rooms with lights, plasteel bed and a plant could keep it at bay though.
Give them things to do, like horseshoes

WaterAstro

I just realized, after looking at the store, that it's still Early Access lol.

I thought the thread title indicated a full release.

WaterAstro

So how complete do you guys feel it is? I escaped the planet once in Alpha 7 or 9...?

Dunno if I should just keep waiting for the final thing or try it out now.

saunderez

So I can't figure out Colony Manager yet.

I set up a hunt and butcher (got the table). The hunting goes on sometimes, dead bodies get put into dump zone.

I dunno about Colony Manager, but without it you'd want a bill to "Cook Simple Meal Forever" on the cooking aparatus (Electric Stove, Fueled Stove, whatever). Perhaps Colony Manager still requires that bit.

I have your hunting workflow working without Colony manager. I mark animals to hunt, my hunter goes out and does the killing, (usually) my chef hauls it in, butchers it, and cooks simple meals.

Also livestock? Can you actually use animals for cloth or something?

Butchered animals drop leather, leather can be used for clothing and furniture.

So how complete do you guys feel it is? I escaped the planet once in Alpha 7 or 9...?

It's much more complete than it was in Alpha 9.....the Joy and Relationships systems were implemented since then and they add a lot to the game.

Steiner84

dont waste plasteel on beds! You build beds either out of wood or steel (depending on biome - in desert or ice sheet you want to save your wood because trees dont grow there)
the quality of a bed is far more important then the material.
click a bed and you should see a quality rating - from awful to masterwork. Consider deconstructing and rebuilding every bad thats below good as soons as your contructor hits lvl 15 or so. In a normal bed colonists only get up to "comfortable +6" mood boost. in an excellent or masterwork bed that goes up to +10. Also the time pawns need to fully rest is shorter the better quality the bed is.
Also for a single pawn it makes no difference if in a single bed or in a double bed. But pawns that have a relationship with one another want to sleep together so you need double beds for them.

best use for plasteel are deadfall traps (you also need alot of plasteel to build the spaceship). 2 plasteel traps can kill even pirate raiders with helmets.

I just realized, after looking at the store, that it's still Early Access lol.

I thought the thread title indicated a full release.

AS far as I understood it, this game will be in developement as long as its viable to do so for the dev. so "full release" is not a fixed thing. This game is more complete and stable than alot of other "proper release" games.

So I can't figure out Colony Manager yet.

I set up a hunt and butcher (got the table). The hunting goes on sometimes, dead bodies get put into dump zone.

But how do you get them to cook it?

Also livestock? Can you actually use animals for cloth or something?

Certain animals provide wool. Certainly muffalos, i would guess alpacas too. They grow it like plants grow and animal handlers will shear them when the wool is fully grown.
otherwise, every animal grops leather or fur when butchered out of which you can tailor clothes, too.

I would suggest you play without the mod first to learn the game vanilla, then get into these management mods.

try it out now.

Sarcasm

I dunno about Colony Manager, but without it you'd want a bill to "Cook Simple Meal Forever" on the cooking aparatus (Electric Stove, Fueled Stove, whatever). Perhaps Colony Manager still requires that bit.

I have your hunting workflow working without Colony manager. I mark animals to hunt, my hunter goes out and does the killing, (usually) my chef hauls it in, butchers it, and cooks simple meals.

Butchered animals drop leather, leather can be used for clothing and furniture.

It's much more complete than it was in Alpha 9.....the Joy and Relationships systems were implemented since then and they add a lot to the game.

Colony manager is suppose to do that. I got it working almost. That animals get hunted and corpses put into the dump stockpile. That is it.

I think I need to make a separate freezing room for the corpses right?

Livestock basically means less hunting in the world correct? Can you make a roofless room and put them inside?

Also beta patch to fix the broken events.

Steiner84

Colony manager is suppose to do that. I got it working almost. That animals get hunted and corpses put into the dump stockpile. That is it.

I think I need to make a separate freezing room for the corpses right?

Livestock basically means less hunting in the world correct? Can you make a roofless room and put them inside?

Also beta patch to fix the broken events.

no you can store corpses in the same freezer. no disadvantage. they get butchered right away anyway.

yes you can with the roofles room. but beware, livestock consumes alot of food. So either have alot of it or stay with hunting wild animals.

saunderez

yes you can with the roofles room. but beware, livestock consumes alot of food. So either have alot of it or stay with hunting wild animals.
They sure do. If there's ever a particularly cold season even the wild ones will ravage your crops. In theory having a livestock program is a great idea but you need a lot of growers to pull it off.

Steiner84

They sure do. If there's ever a particularly cold season even the wild ones will ravage your crops. In theory having a livestock program is a great idea but you need a lot of growers to pull it off.

yeah.it really sounds awesome in theory, to have your meat farm, milk, chickens that provide you with eggs. But really, animals eat alot, and I mean ALOT of food.
Ive seen perfectly organized colonies, advanced and rich, everything looked after and working perfectly go down the shitter because people bought a hen and a rooster. you need to have a look after your farms constantly. chickens spread like mad if you dont seperate males and females. bigger animals easily chop trough an entire stack of potatoes in a day.
on biomes with no rich soil and generally few growing spots, unless you build hydroponics, its not sustainable to have anything more then a handfull of hens besides your trained animals for hauling.

Lanrutcon

Meh. Sappers are unfun. I've disabled them in the core files because the game doesn't let me build super walls or moats.

saunderez

Meh. Sappers are unfun. I've disabled them in the core files because the game doesn't let me build super walls or moats.
Moats are a thing in realistic research mod pack. I'm watching series on YouTube using it atm. I'm not sure if there are deep moats though, I've only seen shallow ones which slow raiders. It's funny watching a group of raiders destroy a moat before attempting to enter the kill box.

Stahsky

A passionate embrace, a beautiful memory lingers.
I need this game, but have no money. Stop posting guys, let us all pretend it hasn't come out yet on steam.

Steiner84

sappers are ok.
sapper groups are usually not that many raiders as traditional groups and from a certain point on they are one of the only few things that can actually harm you. Once you have a sufficient killbox you barely get in danger from common raiders anymore.

TI82

Banned
somethings that confuse me:

1. Some visitors came by, it said "they might have something to trade" but my guys wouldn't talk to the visitors and the visitors just dinked around then left. I had no option or anything to chat with them.

2. Steel? Where do I find it?

Lanrutcon

somethings that confuse me:

1. Some visitors came by, it said "they might have something to trade" but my guys wouldn't talk to the visitors and the visitors just dinked around then left. I had no option or anything to chat with them.

2. Steel? Where do I find it?

1. Order a colonist to go talk to them. You have to do it manually.
2. Look for steel deposits. As in, deselect everthing and scroll around the map looking for oddly textured rock walls. Hover over them with your cursor, and it'll say "Compocated x" where x is cool shit. Steel is very common, btw.

sappers are ok.
sapper groups are usually not that many raiders as traditional groups and from a certain point on they are one of the only few things that can actually harm you. Once you have a sufficient killbox you barely get in danger from common raiders anymore.

Had a group of sappers come in with SMGs and personal shields, 7 strong. There is no way a colony of 4 with shotguns can stop that. The alternative I guess is building turrets everywhere, but I'd rather just disable the sappers. I don't want my map filled with little tunnels I can't refill with rock.

Sarcasm

https://ludeon.com/blog/2016/07/steam-key-giving-stopped-for-new-buyers/

Steam key giving stopped for new buyers
Posted July 17th, 2016 by Tynan Sylvester

If you bought before today, you can still get a key. However, I’ve been forced to stop offering Steam keys for those who buy today and in the future. We’ve been getting hammered by fraudsters who are obviously more experienced at this than I. Shutting it down for now is the only way to avoid thousands of dollars in chargeback fees and lost sales. It’s time to take a breather, because I can’t fight this ‘live’.

The game is, of course, for sale on Steam if you want a Steam copy. Buying from our site will give DRM-free copies as before, but no Steam key.

All the stolen keys are being cancelled, and should be deactivated before they can be sold (or soon after, depending on how fast Valve does it). The funds they were stolen with are being returned to their rightful owners. If you don’t want to get ripped off by fraudsters, be sure to buy direct from Steam.

If you bought direct from us before July 17 and find your key cancelled, it may be due to a separate glitch we had (affecting only a few dozen people). You should be able to get a new key immediately from the Steam key giver, and continue playing where you left off.

Steiner84

That is an awesome tutorial.

Hope this guy makes more.

well that is the awesome thing about this game.
so many things to discover.
Ive sunk well over 200 hours into the game since alpha 9 over a year ago, ive watch maybe 100 hours of lets plays (from people who know their shit) and still, there are alot of things i didnt know and still alot of potential to make things more efficient.

An amazing story from RockPaperShotgun's EA review
https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2016/07/18/rimworld-review-early-access/#more-383595
So here it is, the story of Min, a pop star with a privileged upbringing, who is about to come crashing down to earth.

Min slept with all her animals around her. Since the crash, the 16-year-old pop idol was finding it hard to adjust. She would not help with heavy lifting, or farming, or pulling up weeds. The only thing she would do is take care of the colony’s animals. Rabbits, dogs, tortoises. She loved them all. She even formed a close bond with a rat, whom she named ‘Illness’.

But she wasn’t alone. In this game, you can create your own scenario before crash-landing onto the planet’s surface, adding or removing starter items (wood, steel, pelts, gold, widescreen TVs). You can also set the number of colonists and tweak dozens of other small rules, like compulsory character traits or rules about the planet’s climate. The game let’s you mould your scenario completely, right down to the flavour text.

PE_rimworld_3.jpg

As you can see, my five colonists had all escaped from a crashing party yacht. They were all rich, famous or both. A jeweler, a wealthy businessman, an ace fighter pilot, a star surgeon and (of course) Min the pop star. They all landed with severe hangovers. I am not kidding, this is a setting you can change.

Fast forward some weeks. The colonists had settled in. They had even survived their first few pirate raids. During one of these raids, they captured a large pirate with a low IQ called Ferdnand. This man was physically capable of nothing but sculpting statues and communing with animals. He was like Hodor with a paintbrush. FERDNAND! Eventually, we convinced him to join the colony.

I set him the task of taming a Megatherium – a huge and powerful ground sloth – so that the colony would have some extra muscle. But Min the pop idol was not having it. She had always been the colony’s animal trainer, and she had little ‘Illness’ to prove it. Spurned, she decided to take on the job herself. She left the safety of the village walls and approached the huge beast with some corn in hand. It went mad.

Ferdnand was already on his way to train his new would-be pet when he saw Min being savaged. He took out his Uzi and started firing with surprising accuracy. FERDNAND! Every shot landed. But the Megatherium turned and charged. By the time Ferdnand started to run, it was too late. The animal ripped him to pieces and he died on the spot.

The other colonists formed up. They lured the beast into the walls, where they riddled it with bullets until dead. The colony’s nudist surgeon (who weeks ago had experienced a mental breakdown and now did everything naked to keep himself happy) rushed out to rescue Min, who was lying in a bloody heap, writhing in unbearable pain. He took her to the clinic, wrapped her in bandages and made sure she got everything she needed – medicine, food and rest.

Well, maybe not rest.

You see, I had already scheduled the clinic’s floor to be renovated during this time. And as Min slept (or tried to sleep) my other colonists were busy ripping up planks and replacing them with shiny while tiles, sending sparks and wood chips everywhere. The noise was unbearable. Min snapped.

Crazed with pain and lack of sleep, she went berserk and chased everyone out of the clinic. She terrorised the dinner guests in the common room, and pursued them into the garden, where she chased them around. When she couldn’t catch the colonists, she turned on the animals – hares, pigs and rats – punching the poor creatures to death in her rage, ignoring the scratches and bites she got in return. Ignoring her old friends.

Finally, a colonist stepped up, walking up to the rampaging diva and knocking her out cold. When Min came to, she was back in the clinic. It was completely refurbished, clean and presentable. But the same could not be said for Min.

This once beautiful pop idol, who people would fall in love with before she even started to sing, was in tatters. She now had no nose, no left ear and no right arm.

Over the next two weeks she locked herself in her room and fell into terrible moods. She stopped handling the animals and was assigned to work only on sculptures. Her first work of art depicted a chicken vomiting on the shoes of a lawyer. I put it in the centre of her workshop.

One day, a ship appeared in orbit. They had items to trade. Among them was a prosthetic limb called a “power claw”. After some thought, I decided it was better than nothing. And besides, these rich castaways could afford it. The nudist was scheduled to do the surgery. Min was getting her arm back, even if it was a claw.

When she woke this time, she went straight to her room and locked herself in. I wondered what was wrong. It wasn’t until she was back at her post, carving new statues that I realised what had happened.

We had amputated the wrong arm.

Now, not only was Min a noseless, earless, armless monster, she also had a terrifying claw instead of her only remaining hand.

TI82

Banned
1. Order a colonist to go talk to them. You have to do it manually.
2. Look for steel deposits. As in, deselect everthing and scroll around the map looking for oddly textured rock walls. Hover over them with your cursor, and it'll say "Compocated x" where x is cool shit. Steel is very common, btw.

Had a group of sappers come in with SMGs and personal shields, 7 strong. There is no way a colony of 4 with shotguns can stop that. The alternative I guess is building turrets everywhere, but I'd rather just disable the sappers. I don't want my map filled with little tunnels I can't refill with rock.

So just click on the colonist and right click on the visitor? I'll give it a shot. And I wonder if some biomes are rich in steel and others aren't because I only seem to be seeing marble around mine. I'll have to explore more later.

Randdalf

So it seems I made the mistake of sending one of my colonists to hunt deer, because now there's a rampaging pack of manhunting deer attacking every human on the map, and all my colonists are downed. And a bunch of outlanders just arrived to trade with me. Whoops.

edit: Oh god, my doctor managed to get back to his feet but then was set upon by a maddened hare who knocked him back down again.

edit2: Thank goodness, a wanderer arrived, and it's another doctor as well! Now all my deer-battered colonists are resting in bed.

edit3: RIP colonists, a cycle of madness, raids, brutal injury and eating raw deer corpses, has finally come to an end with my one remaining colonist kidnapped, after she set the base on fire in a fit of madness.

Another great story, from the comments of the RPS article
Last night a wanderer joined my fledgling community and my colonists decided that three was a crowd and a dainty can-do-no-hard-labour leech could not possibly be worth the resource drain. So one of them walked the newcomer to the woodshed and summarily executed her. Later on when they got the plague and were shivering in their deathbeds, it was remembered with regret that the newcomer was a highly skilled doctor. There in the wilderness of a rimworld out there, there is a cute little village with two houses, and a skeleton in each bed.

Sarcasm

I have 11 dead terrier corpses and a butcher table set to butcher forever
Nothing happens. I have cooks and hunters, what am I doing wrong?

Top Bottom