• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Riot Games hires its first Chief "Diversity and inclusion" Officer.

RXL59KQhMPXV2pAT5ipdwN-650-80.jpg
Six months after an in-depth Kotaku report revealed a pervasive "bro culture" at League of Legends studio Riot Games, the company has hired Angela Roseboro, formerly of Dropbox, as its first Chief Diversity Officer. Roseboro will oversee all diversity and inclusion activities at the studio, as well as the creation of new programs aimed at encouraging a more inclusive culture, and will "lead the recruiting team in driving inclusivity in Riot’s hiring and talent sourcing processes."
"I've had the opportunity to meet some incredible Rioters who are passionate about creating a culture where everyone thrives together. I was so taken by the heart and soul of this company and—in spite of setbacks or hurdles—I'm excited to be part of this journey," Roseboro said in a statement. "I can't wait to get started and to do my part to make sure we have a culture that embraces the uniqueness of every Rioter and a community where everyone feels a sense of belonging."
Riot posted an update on "Diversity, Inclusion, and Riot Culture" earlier this week, detailing the efforts it's made so far to improve its workplace culture. That includes "revisiting cultural definitions" at the studio, bringing in third-party consultants to make recommendations and audit performances, improving its internal investigation processes, and improving its recruiting, training, and education systems.

The studio also said that it's already investigated and acted on "dozens of new claims" since the initial allegations were made public, "and took appropriate action in each case, including cutting ties with Rioters at almost all levels of the company where appropriate."
Prior to joining Riot, Roseboro served a similar role at Dropbox as the company's Global Head of Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion. "We’ve been searching for the right person to help us become a positive force for D&I in our industry and beyond, and I’m thrilled to welcome Angela to the team," Riot chief people officer Emily Winkle said. "I know I speak for the entire Riot leadership team when I say that we can’t wait for her to start."

So this reads a lot like them making a quota checklist than actual diversity. I feel like most of these people jumping on the Diversity and Inclusive train known what those words actually mean.

I mean "cultural definitions" is the type of buzz words you'd expect if these companies all circulated a checklist of what to do and what to say.

Also there's no such thing as "bro culture" they are just taking words and shoving them together so they don't have to say what they REALLY want to.

Verdanth

Technically shouldn't HR resources be in charge of this? Is it really necessary to create a new position?

RedVIper

Banned
Dude you need to calm it down with the threads.

Yes Riot is a shitty company. This is just so people like kotaku will leave them alone. Moving on.

Last edited:

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
Technically shouldn't HR resources be in charge of this? Is it really necessary to create a new position?
yes it should be dealt with at HR level but gotta appease those SJWs some how.

this is madness imo. now we're seeing dedicated positions so little snowflakes don't get upset?

TeamGhobad

Banned
No. they had another girl that had the same title. she was on giantbomb one time. its been a thing for a while now.

Kadayi

Banned
Increasingly I think of 'diversity' in the same way I think of 'Conspiracy' in that in both cases the pursuit never ends. Probably scope for an update to the old lightbulb joke: -

Conspiracy

Q: How many conspiracy Theorists does it take to change a light bulb?

A: Two. One to change the lightbulb and another to find out who really changed the lightbulb

Diversity

Q: How many Diversity Officers does it take to change a lightbulb?

A: Two. One to change the lightbulb and the other to investigate whether there's enough diversity in the lightbulb changing department *

I mean, personally, I've never been sold on this idea that diversity of background is in any way going to result in dramatic insights in the workplace in a productive way. That seems to be the line that's constantly pushed, but in my years of working with a lot of different people from all over the world, I'd say education, experience and personal drive have played much more of a role than anything else. The 80/20 rule is real, and it's evenly distributed from what I can tell.

I kind of view the necessity for a dedicated Diversity and inclusion officer, in the same way, I'd view appointing someone to the role of 'Witchfinder General' if, you're not finding reasons to burn people at the stake every day you're out of a job.

* Funnier punchlines appreciated. I'm just spitballing here.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
At one time an artistic medium was a diversity of thought, not IdPol check boxes.

Immutable characteristics should not be advantageous, or detrimental to a person's qualifications of skill.

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken
What does an employee with this job title do on a daily basis? I’m curious.

I picture George Costanza going to work in the office and watching the clock.

ncaHgN.gif

giphy.gif

The Skull

Whilst it is important that everyone regardless of race, gender, sexuality etc gets equal opportunities, how would this role work? Does she specifically hire based on criteria for diversity beyond being the best for the Job?

I feel sick. I always feel these "people" are soulless evil bland types. And that if one has a problem with a diversity officer then one will inevitably lose one's job. I mean they have the word "officer" in their title. I feel sorry for the real staff there. I hope she does her job right and fires the qualified staff and employs more overweight orphaned redheaded one-armed three-eyed two-headed divorced reincarnated stuffed baboons from Outer Mongolia to program their next hit.

Cunth

Fingerlickin' Good!
What does an employee with this job title do on a daily basis? I’m curious.

I picture George Costanza going to work in the office and watching the clock.

ncaHgN.gif

giphy.gif
Trawling through every employees social media history looking for signs of wrongthink I imagine

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
This is a positive news. That means we can easily ignore Riot Games and their leftist SJW propaganda since they are so up front about it

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
I had no idea this was a career now. I wonder how many white straight males hold positions as diversity and inclusion officers? I mean, who acts as the D&I role for D&I hires? My head is spinning!

Meh3D

Also there's no such thing as "bro culture" they are just taking words and shoving them together so they don't have to say what they REALLY want to.

Yes, there is a bro culture. Yes, bro culture is in the gaming industry to varying degrees (and in tech.) They can be toxic, similar to a mean girls club except it's guys. Unfortunately, even if these groups may not have any power over your job, a toxic bro culture can drain the atmosphere of any department.

You can argue whether toxic bro culture can have an impact but not it's existence.

Last edited:

Wimbledon

I had no idea this was a career now. I wonder how many white straight males hold positions as diversity and inclusion officers? I mean, who acts as the D&I role for D&I hires? My head is spinning!

We live in a time where people can profit from this growing PC movement Industry. She's just another opportunist, who got what seems to be a high position. Where it seems like she can pick and choose who to reform, or who to suggest getting rid of.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Amazing how gaming has morphed into such SJW issues. Let's face it, gaming is still a guy-centric industry in both game development and playing. It's no surprise every e-sports team is guys probably 99.99% of the time.

So what you get is guy culture. It's natural. Does it mean it's ok? Depends on what happened. And how true the allegations are.

Pretty amazing since thing like construction work, shipping/warehousing, contractor work, are probably 99% guys too, yet you never hear about cracking down on guys acting like guys.

Elcid

Banned
Diversity and Inclusion Officer. Literally the dumbest position ever invented.
Your job is to make sure we hire employees to hit a % necessary so that we can check a box to make ourselves feel better.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Diversity and Inclusion Officer. Literally the dumbest position ever invented.
Your job is to make sure we hire employees to hit a % necessary so that we can check a box to make ourselves feel better.
Yup.

These types of issues are handled by HR and any execs who want to set policies.

Pigeon holing a distinct Diversity Manager job is simply to get people off their backs, but also a slap in the face of the HR people there since it shows they can't do the job and need a Black lady to come in and steer the ship.

Elcid

Banned
Depends how many diversity points you score. A black trans female in a wheelchair with learning disabilities will be on a fast track to the top.
Not diverse enough! Needs to also be muslim and in a relationship with an inanimate object.

nikolino840

At one time an artistic medium was a diversity of thought, not IdPol check boxes.

Immutable characteristics should not be advantageous, or detrimental to a person's qualifications of skill.
One of my friend don't hire woman in his factory,he say too much problems and they stay at home for months if they are Pregnant
How many boss thinks like him in the world?

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
One of my friend don't hire woman in his factory,he say too much problems and they stay at home for months if they are Pregnant
How many boss thinks like him in the world?
I see that all the time, and I work in an office.

There are some coworkers I've known who have been on mat leave more than actually working (Canada has 52 week mat leaves.....and now has optional 78 week mat leaves.... yeah 1.5 years). They come back from mat leave are already 3 months pregnant. Then the manager has to mess around shuffling employees around again as it's illegal to fire or downgrade an employee who came back from mat leave.

The worst part isn't even that, but the woman telling the boss the week before returning she isn't coming back. So now the manager has go and find a new employee. The worker's spot has been saved the whole 52 weeks, and instead of telling the boss she isn't coming back months before, a slap in the face to the coworkers (who had been covering her work for a year) and the company who now has to hurry up and hire a new employee.

From what I've seen working in an office my whole life, women are less stable employees. And that's excluding mat leaves. Women seem to get sick more and do weird short term illness stints all the time. Yet for guys, they show up for work consistently. At my current work I've seen zero guys go on short/long term illnesses stints. Female employees, I've seen at least 5-6 do it. One day that are at work. Next day, they are gone and nobody knows why. It's illegal to even ask. All they need is a doctor's authorization. So the employee doesn't even have to tell the boss what's wrong. Retarded.

And women wonder why guys typically rise through the ranks more often.

Last edited:

nikolino840

I see that all the time, and I work in an office.

There are some coworkers I've known who have been on mat leave more than actually working (Canada has 52 week mat leaves.....and now has optional 78 week mat leaves.... yeah 1.5 years). They come back from mat leave are already 3 months pregnant. Then the manager has to mess around shuffling employees around again as it's illegal to fire or downgrade an employee who came back from mat leave.

The worst part isn't even that, but the woman telling the boss the week before returning she isn't coming back. So now the manager has go and find a new employee. The worker's spot has been saved the whole 52 weeks, and instead of telling the boss she isn't coming back months before, a slap in the face to the coworkers (who had been covering her work for a year) and the company who now has to hurry up and hire a new employee.

From what I've seen working in an office my whole life, women are less stable employees. And that's excluding mat leaves. Women seem to get sick more and do weird short term illness stints all the time. Yet for guys, they show up for work consistently. At my current work I've seen zero guys go on short/long term illnesses stints. Female employees, I've seen at least 5-6 do it. One day that are at work. Next day, they are gone and nobody knows why. It's illegal to even ask. All they need is a doctor's authorization. So the employee doesn't even have to tell the boss what's wrong. Retarded.

And women wonder why guys typically rise through the ranks more often.
To solve the problem a state could make a law to Prohibit woman to work, they have to stay at home ;)

I'm from Italy and Italy Is not multicultural and bosses pay less non-italian worker in many works,and you know,they prefer a non-italian for that reason not for equality

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
To solve the problem a state could make a law to Prohibit woman to work, they have to stay at home ;)

I'm from Italy and Italy Is not multicultural and bosses pay less non-italian worker in many works,and you know,they prefer a non-italian for that reason not for equality
In Canada and the US, men make more money than women. The funny thing is corporations are supposed to be so greedy, they'd simply hire more women so the costs go down. But if men get paid more, it shows it's not all about saving costs on wages. It's more about paying more for consistent performance and the most basic thing of them all...... showing up for work.

Last edited:

Vawn

Banned
How many politics threads disguised as gaming are you going to make?

Last edited:
If you cant acquire a position through competence, maybe the white man will save you and just give you one because... you're anything but a white man?

Top Bottom