• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RIP MIMIC's iPod: 11/29/2003 - 11/29/2004

Status
Not open for further replies.

MIMIC

Banned
The thing is that I can hook it up to my computer and play the songs via iTunes, but alone, the songs won't play; it just goes to a song and stays at 0:00.
icon9.gif

EDIT: When I shake it up and down, something sounds "loose" inside. Not exactly loose, but out of place. You can hear something.

MIMIC

Banned
Outcast2004 said:
Shouldn't it still be under warranty or do they only give the sub-standard 90 crap?

In any event, sorry dude. That sucks

The site says that it's covered for a year...but today is a year and a day.

You give up too easy... or you must have lots of money... give Apple a call man if you bitch just enough you will get what you are asking for.

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'
MIMIC said:
The site says that it's covered for a year...but today is a year and a day.

:lol! Ouch!

Mine died a few weeks ago and I finally got the box to send it in for repair yesterday. I've only had it since July too. You're goddamned right I sprang for the extra year of protection, save me the hassle. The things are so fragile, apparently you aren't supposed to skip forward in the track listing or go jogging with it. *WTF?*

Wellington said:
The things are so fragile, apparently you aren't supposed to skip forward in the track listing or go jogging with it. *WTF?*

You're not supposed to go jogging with it? That could be why my brother's broke a few weeks after he got it. What a piece of shit.

What high-capacity mp3 player is good for jogging?

Tuvoc

exactly one year...thats nuts.

Also, if you're not supposed to jog w/ them, why do they make arm bands to attach it to your upper arm for running?

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'
BobbyRobby said:
You're not supposed to go jogging with it? That could be why my brother's broke a few weeks after he got it. What a piece of shit.

What high-capacity mp3 player is good for jogging?

Well, that is what I got off of iPod Lounge. 'Excessive' skipping of songs would fuck up your hard drive, along with the bouncing generated by jogging. It *is* a hard drive in there, so it sorta makes sense, but c'mon, skipping songs is considered normal use, and wtf are you going to do with a music player if you can't excercise with it? POS imo. Stick with a minidisc player or a flash based player.

IJoel

Wellington said:

Mine died a few weeks ago and I finally got the box to send it in for repair yesterday. I've only had it since July too. You're goddamned right I sprang for the extra year of protection, save me the hassle. The things are so fragile, apparently you aren't supposed to skip forward in the track listing or go jogging with it. *WTF?*

This is one of my main concerns and reasons why I haven't gotten one. I was VERY close to getting one when the new version came out.

I dropped mine......twice, and no problems so I guess it's luck.
Sorry to hear that MIMIC so I guess something was wrong after all.
Hopefully Apple gives you a replacement.

Typically you're not suposed to jog\run with any hardrive player, that's what flash players are made for.

skrew

Banned
mine died about 3 weeks after i got it. i updated the ipod firmware, plugged it in to reflash, then the hd went crazy & kept spinning until it got hot, then slowly the screen started to turn black.

just got the box to send it back today

MIMIC said:
When I shake it up and down, something sounds "loose" inside. Not exactly loose, but out of place. You can hear something.
I have that too on my 40GB iPod, was running with it one day then it froze...shook it later and heard the same thing. Called Apple support, they told me to do a reset with it plugged into the outlet and it works fine again after powering it up. I asked them about that rattling noise when I shake it, they didn't know what it could be.

As for jogging/running with an iPod, according to Apple it's fine to use for an active lifestyle. But what I've learned from my iPod freezing, though, is not to play tracks that are longer than 20 minutes while jogging, running, etc. The iPod has about a 20-minute skip-protection cache so when you're listening to a long track that track has not been completely loaded into the cache. When it's about 20 minutes, the iPod has to load more of the track into its cache and at the same time be 'in synch' so the track can still play continuosly without any pauses or breaks. The shaking and on-going movement from running and stuff while the iPod has to load more of the continuous track into the cache can cause it to freeze. I was playing a music mix that was over an hour long when my iPod froze about 20 minutes into it, so now I know not to play super-long tracks while running or I'll find myself with the same problem again.

Here's Apple's description of skip-protection on its iPod:
Skip Protection

Question 9: Can I use iPod while running, or doing other activities? Will my music skip?
Answer: iPod was designed for people with an active lifestyle. It is compact and lightweight enough to take with you wherever you go. It was designed to fit comfortably in the palm of your hand or to be slipped into a pocket or purse for easy transport. iPod offers up to 20 minutes of skip protection - twice that of other hard drive-based MP3 players on the market - so you can enjoy outdoor athletic activities without missing a beat.

Question 10: How does iPod provide skip protection?
Answer: In addition to the hard drive, iPod has a memory cache. It is made up of solid-state memory, meaning that it has no mechanical or moving parts, so it is not affected by movement of the device. iPod skip protection works by preloading up to 25 minutes of music to the cache at a time. iPod plays music from the memory cache rather than the hard drive, so even rigorous activities won't cause music to skip.

MIMIC

Banned
jesus_resurrection.jpg

MY IPOD IS JESUS!

It's working fine after I reset it (I had no clue that the iPod could reset itself :D)

DJ Sl4m

Anyone know from personal experience if Apple will replace a defective battery if it's only 7 months old ?

Unfortunately mine only holds a 1 hour charge no matter how long it's been charging :(

nitewulf

Fresh Prince said:
I dropped mine......twice, and no problems so I guess it's luck.
Sorry to hear that MIMIC so I guess something was wrong after all.
Hopefully Apple gives you a replacement.

Typically you're not suposed to jog\run with any hardrive player, that's what flash players are made for.
hey, werent we both very much biased towards the iriver? and we both eneded up getting ipods...interesting how things turn out, eh?

anyway, pet peeves about the ipod includes, the apple website actually advises you to not skip songs, not use the EQ, and turn off the backlight...in order to ensure longer operating hours. logical, but hell, you might as well just keep it off. that'll ensure you almost not running out of power at all!

im using it w/ the EQ (come on now), and i'm trying to not skip as much, reallt gotta set up some playlists. and keeping the backlight off so far. still at about 3.5/4 hours i lose 50% charge.

otherwise i'm liking it quite well. smooth navigation, good audio quality w. the JVC phones and certainly attractive.

edit: dj slam, they deifinitely should, its still under the warranty. just call them up and explain the problem.

secondly, anyone that jogs regularly, i suggest you guys get the mini. microdrives are very sturdy in my experience, dont take the risk of a hard drive player.

Fusebox

Banned
3rd gen 20 gigger here - jogged with, dropped, moistened, caressed, more jogging etc - never skipped a beat.

/more kissing and caressing of iPod ensues

MIMIC

Banned
Wellington said:

They should have an advisory on their commercials:

Either "Object is more fragile than it may appear" or "Do not use your iPods like we do in our commercials."

nitewulf said:
hey, werent we both very much biased towards the iriver? and we both eneded up getting ipods...interesting how things turn out, eh?

anyway, pet peeves about the ipod includes, the apple website actually advises you to not skip songs, not use the EQ, and turn off the backlight...in order to ensure longer operating hours. logical, but hell, you might as well just keep it off. that'll ensure you almost not running out of power at all!
Sometimes I feel like selling my iPod and getting an iRiver.

Battery life still pisses me off-everyday I have to charge it (properly), can't wait until the old battery dies out and I can install a bigger capacity one.

And what is the deal with releasing a 60Gb colour one a couple of months later?
And accessories damned overpriced pieces of shit.

3rd gen 20 gigger here - jogged with, dropped, moistened, caressed, more jogging etc - never skipped a beat.

/more kissing and caressing of iPod ensues
Weird that. I hope my iPod lasts more than 2-3 years- if it doesn't I'm never buying an iPod again- fcuk Apple. The shit's supposed to last.

/me stares angrily at iPod- you might look good but where's the god-damn dinner?

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Man I skip songs all the damn time. When I'm walking I just put my entire library (7 Days) on play and if I feel like listening to a certain kind of song I just keep skipping until I find something I like.

Maybe that's why my battery life's never been so hot...

3G 15GB- I never thought I'd be able to use it all up, but here I am bumping up against the capacity, now I wish I had a 60GB! Though to be honest I never would have increased my digital library if it weren't for the I-Pod.

MIMIC

Banned
AstroLad said:
Man I skip songs all the damn time. When I'm walking I just put my entire library (7 Days) on play and if I feel like listening to a certain kind of song I just keep skipping until I find something I like.

:lol Me too.

This is bad?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom