• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RIP normcore, 2013-2015

Status
Not open for further replies.
According to the latest google analytics, normcore, the popular fashion trend of not being fashionable, is no longer wassup, but now a giant ish don't think so.

http://think.storage.googleapis.com/docs/google-fashion-trends-report-spring2015.pdf
SUTj0lr.png

now as a forum chock full of ardent normcore enthusiasts, I wanted to give everyone a moment to talk about their favorite normcore memories, and maybe share how normcore profoundly changed their lives.

you can also talk about the other stuff in the google trend report too. that's cool.

Are you saying that being unfashionable was fashionable for two years now and now being unfashionable is back to being unfashionable?

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
My new shit is Jam's World shirts. Shit is dope.

$_57.JPG

I was randomly looking through ebay stuff and found this shirt brand and I just cant get enough.

Alphahawk

Wasn't normcore just a fashion industry term for people who weren't into high end fashion? Because that's what it seemed like.

The majority of people weren't going out and dressing in something because it was "Normcore", they were just doing what they dressed like everyday.

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
I heard GAP's normcore collection was a spectacular failure and lost the company a shit ton of money?

Are you being serious or is this a joke post? I thought GAP has always been entirely normcore.

Are you being serious or is this a joke post? I thought GAP has always been entirely normcore.

Sorta, but I believe they were trying to cash in on normcore with an entire seasonal collection and the tagline was "Dress Normal" or something like that.

Staccat0

Fail out bailed
Half of these sorta things are just shit propped up by newspapers and blogs to make shit seem "whacky"

One or two asshole fashion designers say a thing and people run with it for the story.

Half of these sorta things are just shit propped up by newspapers and blogs to make shit seem "whacky"

One or two asshole fashion designers say a thing and people run with it for the story.
i've never bothered to dig deeply into the genesis of normcore but i assume it's somewhat of a calculated move against a lot of 'street fashion photography' in urban centers where dudes/dudettes wear piles of on-trend detritus* in an effort to be featured on thesartorialist/etc. shit just probably seems corny to a lot of young persons so here we are

tangental but I remember roughly a decade ago 'stealth wealth' was a thing for people who liked designer goods but found the pervasive logomania and overtly 'styled' clothing of the time gauche and attention-getting. looking at it from this angle normcore is basically stealth wealth round 2 minus the wealth (in some cases).

fwiw in the interest of full disclosure i've more or less locked onto the stealth wealth mantle and have calcified there like a proper dinosaur.

edit: heh
http://www.boston.com/yourlife/fashion/articles/2006/10/12/the_case_of_the_missing_logo/?page=full

*hopefully the gaming side doesn't catch wind of these 3 point words

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom