• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RIP the Great Barrier Reef - It's Dead Jim and we are all responsible

jmdajr

giphy.gif

Theonik

Can you elaborate? I understand Chinese manufacturing is at least partly to blame for warmer climates, but is there a direct association in this case?
He is referring to the President of the United States calling global warming a Chinese Hoax.

Jigolo

Humans are the only species on the planet that systematically and knowingly destroy the planet and it's creatures. We probably hold the title of most advanced species but we're at the opposite end as well.

Maybe one day I'll trip so hard that I am transported to the alternate Earth where the human race (collectively) cares about things that matter.

Amory

So the ocean temperature has risen an estimated 0.1 degree C over the last 100 years, and that was enough to kill off the entire reef?

Crazy.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
So the ocean temperature has risen an estimated 0.1 degree C over the last 100 years, and that was enough to kill off the entire reef?

Crazy.

That's an average rise, localized areas had more of an increase.

Van Bur3n

More proof that those crazy eggheads are just making this global warming stuff up. What's wrong with a little warmth anyway? I like being warm. Sad!

Acerac

Banned
So true.

My mother - almost a caricature of right wing newspeak these days - thinks man-caused climate change is impossible, and 'arrogant' as only God could have that kind of power over the Earth. And that if we're worried about carbon we should worry more about volcanoes and ocean waves crashing or some other nonsense.

This is the level of denial and justifications for non-responsibility that what we're dealing with, at least in the US.

Its maddening.
That's what happens when you have unchecked propaganda channels that air 24/7...

StayDead

"It's just a cycle, this probably happens every 300 odd years but it's never been recorded"

- Client change deniers 2017.

JWiLL

Banned
Hmm...is it possible that the Fukushima disaster played a role in this? Doubtful, but it really isn't that far away.

Devastating news...it's one of the most fascinating places on Earth.

Atlagev

Hmm...is it possible that the Fukushima disaster played a role in this? Doubtful, but it really isn't that far away.

Devastating news...it's one of the most fascinating places on Earth.

More people should watch this video that was posted. It does a good job explaining why it is happening, what is causing it, and possible solutions.

psyfi

Banned
To say "we are all responsible" is a cowardly cop out. The death of the Great Barrier Reef is yet another result of the ongoing apocalypse perpetrated by the forces of colonialism, patriarchy, and capitalism. There are politicians and CEOs enthusiastically leading us into a future of morbidity, but there are also people struggling every day to survive and thrive in solidarity and harmony with the planet. Let's not obscure the actors who have the biggest role in this story.

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
One of things I am grateful but immensely sad about is I got to see and snorkel amongst a bunch of living coral reefs growing up. In Indonesia in particular. Just incredible structures of color and life. I went back to one recently after 20 years and was gutted to find it completely dead.

arigato

To say "we are all responsible" is a cowardly cop out. The death of the Great Barrier Reef is yet another result of the ongoing apocalypse perpetrated by the forces of colonialism, patriarchy, and capitalism. There are politicians and CEOs enthusiastically leading us into a future of morbidity, but there are also people struggling every day to survive and thrive in solidarity and harmony with the planet. Let's not obscure the actors who have the biggest role in this story.
True, the Information Age only began during the millennium. These were problems that should've been dealt with and solved decades ago. Plenty of occult knowledge which was kept from being released to the public so they could keep their reign of "control" and indulging in their insatiable lust for blood, power and money..

FUME5

In 2015 the Libs spent $400,000 to campaign against the 'danger' classification given to the reef by UNESCO. They also recently approved a coal mine nearby.

Shameful.

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
I gauran-fucking-tee you that when shit starts to REALLY hit the fan conservative politicians and voters (who think college = satan) will blame liberals.

In 2015 the Libs spent $400,000 to campaign against the 'danger' classification given to the reef by UNESCO. They also recently approved a coal mine nearby.

Shameful.

Unfortunately the campaign was successful as are the plans for the coal mining. I was reading this earlier:

The United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization had voted not to add Australia's Great Barrier Reef to its list of sites in danger. The baffling decision was taken despite the reef's currently perilous state, where back-to-back coral bleaching events threaten more than two thirds of its length. Even worse, is that UNESCO published a paper just last month, saying that if nothing was done, the Reef would die in a century. The cause of this spectacular act of cognitive dissonance is political, thanks to hard lobbying from Australia's government.
[...]
Australia is building a $4 billion coal mine which will ship tonnes of climate change-causing material through the Reef itself. Building the mine, and cutting a shipping canal through the reef to support it, is likely to cause extraordinary harm to the local ecosystem.
Disgraceful.

The Giant

Banned
We had our former chimpanzee PM Tony "i'm a fucking retard" Abbott, denying that this was happening.

He would most likely still deny it.

Top Bottom