• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RIP the Great Barrier Reef - It's Dead Jim and we are all responsible

So this is about the American Christian right?

This isn't the same as doing it in the name of religion, which was the claim in the comment I quoted. No one is pumping oil out of the ground because a religion told them to.

I mean yeah there are people that use religion as an excuse to support and use fossil fuels.

I know someone who says that oil is a natural resource of the Earth God made that can never run out because God built a system in place so that the oil keeps being made forever. And that man has zero impact on global warming it's all just from the sun and a "cycle of the Earth" even though we know for a fact none of this is true.

It's scary people believe these sorts of things

Take THAT Earth! What's next on the list of shit to fuck up?

Why do you think everyone is so interested in Mars colonies etc now? We're not going to be able to physically fuck up this planet much longer, might as well move on to others. It's easier for humans to move on to torturing other things than to stop and think about what they're doing and its consequences.

Kthulhu

And their kids will be rich enough off the back of the inheritance that they can continue to live in luxury above all the misery and suffering

Yup. They'll actually be able to afford quality food while the rest of us are stuck eating Soylent Green.

T

Transhuman

Unconfirmed Member
It may have happened regardless. Species extinctions happen all the time.

Shredderi

Yup. They'll actually be able to afford quality food while the rest of us are stuck eating Soylent Green.

But when they eventually come back to see if the surface is habitable they'll be met by the new mutated strain of our descendants. And they're pissed.

Wow, I mean I knew eventually it would happen but never did I think it would be that fast. But then I remember having a saltwater fish tank and just how precise the water had to be.

Diamond

maxresdefault.jpg

Coral?

Dreez

Not surprised. All that shit humanity has dumped in the ocean over the years, it was about time.

I wonder when all marine life as we know it will perish.

MarionCB

This has been a big political issue in Queensland. We knew this was coming for years and years but every time we got a new report, the usual conservative parties would scream about it being a left-wing conspiracy, that the reef is fine. They even planned a giant new coal mine near it, the largest in the world, and a new port that would plough coal ships through it. It's been one of the most frustrating things to oppose; complete anti-science.

It's not actually dead yet but it is dying and the fight continues to save what's left of it.

Why do you think everyone is so interested in Mars colonies etc now? We're not going to be able to physically fuck up this planet much longer, might as well move on to others. It's easier for humans to move on to torturing other things than to stop and think about what they're doing and its consequences.

Musk's idea seems pretty much impossible along the timeline he remarked, but I don't think it was an official comment. Also jetting millions out of the atmosphere, and going back and forth with supplies (which you would need to do since we haven't even accomplished a closed, self sustaining, human supporting ecosystem on a small scale yet), would not have a good effect on the ozone layer...

MarionCB: The right thing to do would probably be to rise up and kick the myopic assholes who poison public opinion and accelerate resource use out...but we, the mostly middle classes, are paralysed by our own person good fortune. The Barrier Reef is something of priceless importance ecologically, aesthetically, and functionally to a degree, but not in the current small minded, greedy, economically-blinded worldview.

arigato

Stories like this are pretty depressing. What are individuals supposed to do besides retweet news stories and say "dam...."? Even voting accordingly does nothing depending on where one lives.

Seems like stories like this will just be the norm until it's well beyond being too late and people form FF7 Avalanche style militant environmental groups.
Too late for any individual actions to be meaningful or impactful on the grand scheme of things. "We could all try now but just look up in the sky We ain't got no ozone left, we are gonna die Crime and corruption, is the only season Is it 'cause the reason is that we out of time" - Black Eyed Peas

I wonder when all marine life as we know it will perish.

I imagine there will be some kind of domino effect with places like this. The reef sustains a ton of different life and if a huge portion of that dies off like these corals did and another lifeform relies on said portion to live then I imagine they will die off as well and so on and so forth.

shira

This has been a big political issue in Queensland. We knew this was coming for years and years but every time we got a new report, the usual conservative parties would scream about it being a left-wing conspiracy, that the reef is fine. They even planned a giant new coal mine near it, the largest in the world, and a new port that would plough coal ships through it. It's been one of the most frustrating things to oppose; complete anti-science.

It's not actually dead yet but it is dying and the fight continues to save what's left of it.
Politicians & Science is a joke. Nature can't complain or provide evidence so it slides and slides and slides until it's too late

KSweeley

Dammit :( I had visiting the Great Barrier Reef on my list of things to do within my lifetime, so fucked up and sad that it's completely gone now.

smisk

Anyone read the NYMag story on global warming that came out today? Grim stuff.

Edit: Read this thread if you really want to be depressed.

Theonik

Things are moving at an even greater pace than the late 90s predictions the late 2010s and early 2020s were when we were supposed to start seeing serious consequences.

SomTervo

Stories like this are pretty depressing. What are individuals supposed to do besides retweet news stories and say "dam...."? Even voting accordingly does nothing depending on where one lives.

Seems like stories like this will just be the norm until it's well beyond being too late and people form FF7 Avalanche style militant environmental groups.

Don't wanna be that guy, but there's loads you can do daily to cut down environmental damage. Cut down/out meat and dairy, take train instead of fly or drive, refuse to consume fish unless it's line and hook sourced.

Even if your actual actions are a drop in an ocean, it means those damaging industries are getting less money long-term, so they'll either die (along with their bad practices) or they'll adapt to meet a more ethical consumer base.

This is pretty much how I feel look at that picture.

tumblr_static_1lwhiok03lz40g08socsskskg_640_v2.jpg

And their kids will be rich enough off the back of the inheritance that they can continue to live in luxury above all the misery and suffering

I think this is one of the reasons the income inequality has skyrocketed and they continue to push an agenda that makes it worse on normal people. They are positioning themselves to be in a constant opressive situation so that in 100 years when everything is shit, they will control everything, including the narrative.

See - Snowpiercer

smisk

FWIW, here is a climate scientist's reaction to the aforementioned NYMag story (not the coral reef one). He decries it as too alarmist.

DEYY3AIW0AQZH2E.jpg

Nista

I guess I should prioritize going to see the Reef before it's gone.

Yeah, there's still going to be pockets of life to see here and there for tourists, but the overall reef won't ever be the same in our lifetimes. I need to get my SO his scuba cert and get over there, but that's not cheap from the US.

I mean yeah there are people that use religion as an excuse to support and use fossil fuels.

I know someone who says that oil is a natural resource of the Earth God made that can never run out because God built a system in place so that the oil keeps being made forever. And that man has zero impact on global warming it's all just from the sun and a "cycle of the Earth" even though we know for a fact none of this is true.

It's scary people believe these sorts of things
So true.

My mother - almost a caricature of right wing newspeak these days - thinks man-caused climate change is impossible, and 'arrogant' as only God could have that kind of power over the Earth. And that if we're worried about carbon we should worry more about volcanoes and ocean waves crashing or some other nonsense.

This is the level of denial and justifications for non-responsibility that what we're dealing with, at least in the US.

Its maddening.

Top Bottom