• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Great Barrier Reef bleached for unprecedented second year running

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beefy

A mass bleaching event is taking its toll on the Great Barrier Reef for an unprecedented second year in a row, a Queensland government agency has confirmed.

The Great Barrier Reef Marine Park Authority has declared widespread damage from an underwater heatwave after a single day of aerial surveys between Cairns and Townsville on Thursday.

The authority’s David Wachenfeld told the ABC the survey findings “regrettably” gave the agency enough evidence to declare another mass bleaching event, following the worst to date in 2016 which killed off 22% of coral.

A repeat of mass bleaching compounds fears for the survival of already-stressed coral, whose recovery since 2016 has been challenged by stubbornly high sea surface temperatures, including through winter.

The scale of bleaching will be confirmed through further surveys by the agency and reef scientists but it is likely to take at least six months before the death rate of coral is known.

Garner, who has been documenting the bleaching with Greenpeace, said: “I’ve been photographing this area of the reef for several years now and what we’re seeing is unprecedented.

“In these photos nearly 100% of the corals are bleaching and who knows how many will recover? Algae is already beginning to overgrow many of the corals.

WWF oceans campaigner Richard Leck said he was “shocked and saddened by what is unfolding”.

“Scientists warned that without sufficient emissions reductions we could expect annual mass bleaching of the Great Barrier Reef by 2050,” he said. “Consecutive bleaching events have arrived 30 years early.”

Crazy that The Great Barrier Reef looks like it won't survive most of our lifetimes.

I really want to go to AUS and see it before it's gone. I don't even know what they can do at this point. Simply put, most nation's don't care enough.

HowZatOZ

Banned
Goodbye tourism. You would think with how much money the reef pulls in for my state they'd actually give a shit but hey politics. Fuck this world. Thank God I got to see it when I was younger.

Goodbye tourism. You would think with how much money the reef pulls in for my state they'd actually give a shit but hey politics. Fuck this world. Thank God I got to see it when I was younger.

This is the issue, people care money more than anything. Rather it's for seeing this or for oil gas etc People are more into money than each other. You speak it and think it just as they do, this is the issue for Earth in general.

Maximo

Sadly our government is too busy filling its pockets to care.

Breads

Banned
That's awful for sure but the asshole in me is screaming that by virtue of there being a second year the precedent is self evident.

Plum

You'd think Trump would intervene after watching Finding Dory.

...nah but seriously this is goddamned tragic. Australia and, to a smaller extent, the rest of the world needs to get their goddamn shit together because once it's gone, it's gone for a long, long time.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
1Elghyx.jpg

Zackat

I wrote a pretty big research paper about the acidification of the oceans in college. Reading all the journal articles about this painted a depressing picture. This was several years ago now, so I imagine it has only gotten worse.

As a relatively young person, it's hard not to have contempt for the boomers and those before them making what I would feel safe calling the majority of these decisions.

Alienfan

The worst part is just how few Australians give a shit, we will be one of the first countries to feel the affects of climate change given how fucked our weather is already. Plus with how God damn awful our stance on immigration has been, I doubt many countries will accept us. But I guess most of these old fucks in power won't be alive, so it doesn't matter, but we have all ruined our country for future generations

The Great Barrier Reef was the largest living structure in the world and visible from space.

Obituary: Great Barrier Reef (25 Million BC-2016)
https://www.outsideonline.com/2112086/obituary-great-barrier-reef-25-million-bc-2016

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coral_reef
Often called "rainforests of the sea", shallow coral reefs form some of the most diverse ecosystems on Earth. They occupy less than 0.1% of the world's ocean surface, about half the area of France, yet they provide a home for at least 25% of all marine species,[1][2][3][4] including fish, mollusks, worms, crustaceans, echinoderms, sponges, tunicates and other cnidarians.[5]

Paz

Here's an unrelated* video of our actual elected government bringing a lump of coal in to parliament and tossing it around while talking about how we don't need to be afraid of it, days before the biggest heatwave anyone in the country can remember: https://www.theguardian.com/global/...-brings-a-chunk-of-coal-into-parliament-video

*Unrelated according to the elected government who greenlit a new huge mine near the reef and continuously works to undo environmental protections and renewable energy efforts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom