• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rise of the Tomb Raider coming to PC Steam on January 28

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
I'm saying buying from CDKeys is the same as buying from someone in the BST thread.

Both get one key:

one buys it from retail (giving SE money), then resells it.

one gets the key with their Nvidia card (SE already got paid by Nvidia), then resells it.

I know there are exceptions, though, like apparently some of these key resellers sometimes being supplied by the publishers themselves en masse in order to meet a sales goal or something. That's according to one person here who claimed to sell (I believe) on G2A, anyway.

Depends. I'm assuming you'll have to wait if you pre-order right now.

So the exact same shit as cdkeys then? It only "produced money" on the first transaction, there's nothing on the second one, everything goes to the pocket of the GPU owner. Well, shit, I guarantee you that the cdkeys keys will pass through by many more different hands than the nvidia ones.

No. The difference Nvidia buys those keys from SE no matter if someone buys the keys afterwards on ebay or GAF or whatever. Practically SE sells keys to a number of people who otherwise wouldn't buy the game. If the people who want the game buy it from cdkeys, SE (through intermediaries) will sell an additional number of keys. If they will buy it from GPU owners there will sell nothing more. Going by absolutes, if everybody would buy all the keys from GPU owners the game itself would have 0 individual sales and x bundles sold (which they have anyhow, because people are buying the GPU not the game).

And now I give up on this subject.

Edit: I don't care about cdkeys in the end, I just found it funny that buying second hand is more ethical.

No. The difference Nvidia buys those keys from SE no matter if someone buys the keys afterwards on ebay or GAF or whatever. Practically SE sells keys to a number of people who otherwise wouldn't buy the game. If the people who want the game buy it from cdkeys, SE (through intermediaries) will sell an additional number of keys. If they will buy it from GPU owners there will sell nothing more. Going by absolutes, if everybody would buy all the keys from GPU owners the game itself would have 0 individual sales and x bundles sold (which they have anyhow, because people are buying the GPU not the game).

And now I give up on this subject.

Edit: I don't care about cdkeys in the end, I just found it funny that buying second hand is more ethical.

Neither buying nVidia codes or from illegal resellers like CDkeys/G2A (sometimes GMG in recent times) are ethical and nobody is advocating otherwise. It's just funny that you advocate the stance of only CDkeys (being one of the illegal ways to get the game) can generate more revenue for SE indirectly and completely avoid nVidia keys (which is another illegal way) which can indirectly earn revenue too for SE if we go by "your" absolutes.

The promo starts on 7th and runs through 26th if the rumors are to be believed. Now just like the hyperbolic estimates you mentioned that "if everyone bought the keys from GPU owners, SE gets nothing", here's another in the same vein. If nVidia bought 1M keys from SE for the entire promo period, and they sellout all their SKU's with the keys in 1/2 a day (lol), what's stopping them from getting another 1M keys from SE for the rest of the promo period, and generating more revenue for SE ?

Both these examples, yours and mine, are not even remotely close to reality. The bottomline is that both illegal resellers and promo codes being sold online on trading websites like TF2C/steamtrades (illegal resellers do this too, not just end users - refer to the Witcher 3 keys from GMG, Watch_Dogs keys on G2A etc.) are unethical from everyone's POV. One is circumventing publisher T&C for legal distribution of their product and selling the game illegally without their knowledge/consent to maximize their profit, while the other is the same albeit easier way of access to those keys in bulk as they're a promo.

Both of'em fall under what we traditionally call as the "grey market" which generates zero revenue for the publisher/developer through their legal means of distribution.

Both of'em fall under what we traditionally call as the "grey market" which generates zero revenue for the publisher/developer through their legal means of distribution.

You don't even know what are you arguing about. Nvidia codes aren't Steam codes. You do NOT get a Steam key with an Nvidia voucher, you register on Nvidia linking your Steam account. http://www.geforce.com/witcher-3-batman-ak-bundle/code-instructions

All "grey market" websites have separate categories for Nvidia vouchers and Steam keys. Cdkeys do not deal with vouchers, they get their keys directly from suppliers.

Every key from cdkeys was bought from the publisher at some point. Every key that Nvidia bundles with their GPU was also bought from the publisher. It is idiotic to suggest that those keys do not contribute to their revenue and sales.

jony_m

Don't confuse official/un-official distributors with illegal. Illegal would be cracked/burned discs sellers.

Vuze

Game doesn't look jaw-dropping in these shots... considering how it's been hyped up by those who played it on XO. Maybe will look better in motion like most games in recent memory. Regardless, I'm super hyped and will pick it up day one for sure!

You don't even know what are you arguing about. Nvidia codes aren't Steam codes. You do NOT get a Steam key with an Nvidia voucher, you register on Nvidia linking your Steam account. http://www.geforce.com/witcher-3-batman-ak-bundle/code-instructions

All "grey market" websites have separate categories for Nvidia vouchers and Steam keys. Cdkeys do not deal with vouchers, they get their keys directly from suppliers.

Every key from cdkeys was bought from the publisher at some point. Every key that Nvidia bundles with their GPU was also bought from the publisher. It is idiotic to suggest that those keys do not contribute to their revenue and sales.

Yeah. I don't get why people are being so weird about this. It's not like these sites have some illegal random key generator that instantly gives them a copy of the game for free and then they try and sell them. However the keys were obtained, Square was paid for them.

Since you don't have a clue about the post you quoted, let me reiterate that it was about both, the cdkeys business model and the nVidia keys (vouchers) that are for promos being re-sold online (by websites) are one and the same thing, both circumvent the way to buy the game set by the publisher through their means of official distribution in your region. Not the strawman that you're trying to impose upon that whether nVidia codes are steam codes and the means of acquiring them through the nVidia portal or CDkeys doesn't acquire nVidia codes. It was never even brought up in the first place. It's stupid to even think that every publisher would be holding hands with illegal resellers buying keys from boxed copies from third world countries where they are cheap (in bulk quantities) or game vouchers from end users/GPU vendors and sell them for profit.

Why would buying NV codes not be "ethical"? That's ridiculous.

I should have been more clear, not ethical for a (publisher) authorized (or unauthorized) reseller to "sell" them maybe, as they're a promo for nVidia products ? End users who buy their GPU's ending up selling them is just like console second hand sales, i.e. its up to the user. But if you're a business entity and have publisher deals, it does fall under the grey market.

Harlequin

You reward them for greenlighting a game and investing the money needed in it.
If no revenue goes to SE and it becomes a commercial failure then they won't push a high budget tomb raider again for quite some time.

But that's none of my concern ofc.

I'd be more than okay with that, too. (If they actually were so stupid as to assume that a hypothetically poor commercial performance wasn't caused by the exclusivity deal.) Massive budgets are the reason why it's become too risky for Square to let Tomb Raider games be Tomb Raider games. If they were to turn it into a mid-budget title they'd maybe be able to take some risks and not try and make everything so easy and automated that a five-year-old could play it. That's not why I want to buy it used, though. I mainly want to buy it used because I'd feel stupid if I financially supported Square after they sold their fans out the way they did. I'm more than happy to reward them for good decisions (like publishing Life is Strange) but I'm not going to throw money at them for ROTTR.

It's a great looking game on the Xbox, so I can only imagine what some of you with powerful rigs are going to get from it.

Enjoy it PC GAF, it's in my top 3 of last year - easy.

Buburibon

That's very cool, OP. I've just put through my pre-order. It's nice to see it as the top seller on Steam at the moment.

Wereroku

So CD has still not worked on non xbox platform for almost a decade. It's really strange I wonder if they even have a ps devkit. Also good times hopefully this will add a few more sales to the game since it's so well made.

Kezen

Banned
Curious for the recommended specs... But I guess my 280x will run this fairly well

I don't see how recommended specs would have told you anything, regardless of what they could have been it does not change the fact that a 280x should have no problem running this very well at Xbone settings (60fps).

Kevin

full price on steam though :(

Was really hoping it wouldn't be $59.99

I was hoping for like $40 but figured they would charge the full price. Also considering the DLC costs and what not, I'll wait and buy it later when it's much cheaper.

Locuza

I don't know if somebody already mentioned it, but something about VXAO:
http://on-demand.gputechconf.com/gtc/2015/presentation/S5670-Alexey-Panteleev.pdf

page 49 said:
BONUS: VOXEL-BASED AO

- Remove the emittance voxel textures
VoxelizationParameters :: emittanceDirectionCount = NONE

- Skip emittance voxelization and light injection

- Call pTracer->computeDiffuseChannel(...) to get the AO surface
DiffuseTracingParameters :: ambientRange controls effect locality

- Compared to full GI...
Tracing is about 3x cheaper
Easier to integrate into apps

- Compared to SSAO...
World-space, stable AO effect

+ Video here:
http://on-demand.gputechconf.com/gtc/2015/video/S5670.html

Minute 36:00

gnexus

Day 1. I loved the TR2013, and I can't wait for this one. Even though I have an Xbox One, I knew the PC port was just a little ways away. 2016 off to an amazing start. Will get it on Steam.

Locuza

I'm eager to see how expensive it is on 680 and up Nvidia cards.
And the Radeon performance.
I have no good feelings for Kepler and Radeons.

If I understood everything correctly, VXGI and it's parts are behind an abstraction layer, to work with DX11.
They use geometry-shader (sucks for performance in general, except for Intel and especially sucks for Radeons)
At least the speaker said, they use for Maxwell multi-projection and FP16 atomics to speed things up vs. Kepler.

Top Bottom