• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rise of the Tomb Raider coming to PC Steam on January 28

Day one, I've only seen the beginning of the game, compared to Tomb Raider 2013 where I knew everything beforehand.
So pretty psyched up to play it at the end of this month.

Kezen

Banned
And the Radeon performance.
I have no good feelings for Kepler and Radeons.

If I understood everything correctly, VXGI and it's parts are behind an abstraction layer, to work with DX11.
They use geometry-shader (sucks for performance in general, except for Intel and especially sucks for Radeons)
At least the speaker said, they use for Maxwell multi-projection and FP16 atomics to speed things up vs. Kepler.
No doubt this will run better on Maxwell, this is Nvidia's latest round of cards after all.
This could also shed some light on the performance :
j5PHo8U.png

Zojirushi

Already looking forward to seeing to all the talk about exclusive graphics options and then once I have the game turning everything off to get acceptable framerates before even looking at it :D

FLAguy954

Downsampling from 4K is truly a revealing experience, especially when asset quality is high.

But no doubt it's going to take quite the monster rig for that level of IQ.

The game should already look very good at max settings.

I have just played through TR 2013 in 4k (30 fps) in inticipation of RotTR. Man, if that game looked amazing in 4k, this one will melt eyes.

dr_rus

Anyone scratching their heads at "VXAO", look up "Practical Voxel GI" from the GDC 2014.

AXmEnee.png

This is likely to be Maxwell's VXGI and not the voxel GI they're talking about in this presentation since this is rather outdated and VXGI is likely to be based on this research. If this is true then this feature will invoke a rather severe performance hit on any non FL12_1 architecture. I also wonder if they'll require DX11.3 (and Win10) for the game because of this.

I want to know if only buying on windows store will get you achievements. Would be cool if they worked on steam version.

Will also be neat to try out the clip recording on the xbox app. Sharing only works with windows store games.

Kezen

Banned
This is likely to be Maxwell's VXGI and not the voxel GI they're talking about in this presentation since this is rather outdated and VXGI is likely to be based on this research. If this is true then this feature will invoke a rather severe performance hit on any non FL12_1 architecture. I also wonder if they'll require DX11.3 (and Win10) for the game because of this.
If this is justified I see no problem with it being much faster on Maxwell. Hopefully it is not Nvidia deliberately crippling Kepler/AMD GPUs.
I did not think about this feature only available on Windows 10 but the wording leaves that door open :
Crystal Dynamics has added a slew of awesome new Windows 10-specific features to the critically acclaimed game, including stunning 4K resolution support – and Rise of the Tomb Raider will be the first game ever to include cutting-edge VXAO technology, developed in partnership with NVIDIA.

Drippy

Achievements were the only thing I liked about GFWL. I wonder how many Win10 games will support them.

These Tomb Raider screenshots looks gorgeous though.

Gaogaogao

Nixxes deserves some credit, they nailed the xbox 360 version of rise of the tomb raider.

its just a shame the pc version does not appear to scale well by comparison.

Nixxes deserves some credit, they nailed the xbox 360 version of rise of the tomb raider.

its just a shame the pc version does not appear to scale well by comparison.

The 360 port is straight up voodoo. I don't understand how they pulled that off so well.

Dead Rising 3 did not "amazingly", on any PCs known to earth.
This thing really runs like crap no matter what.

Read the OP.

DR3 ran proportional to how awful it ran on the Xbone. It was an extremely demanding game, the PC version ran it as good as you'd expect in comparison to the console performance.

Cross posting from the GMG discount thread:
http://www.greenmangaming.com/most-anticipated-2016/

Copy code below for 25% off:
25PERC-2016GM-WTHGMG

Eligible games:
- X-COM 2
- Far Cry Primal
- Total War: Warhammer
- Deus Ex: Mankin Divided
- Street Fighter V
- Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen
- Battleborn
- The Division
- Hitman
- Resident Evil 0 HD
- Mighty No.9

Good deals.
This applies to Tomb Raider as well, so if you want it cheaper than Steam but don't want to go the CDKeys route this is probably the next best bet! :)

Decided I'd like to try this game on windows 10 store to see how the xbox app integration is. If it matches some of the features of xbone with clip recording and sharing and achievements, that would be awesome.

Anyone know when its going to be available on the windows 10 store? I don't see it yet.

I guess it will support both HairWorks on Nvidia side and PureHair on AMD side depending on what you own? It would be strange if an GameWorks title supported an AMD technology only.

We can finally see if AMD's solution runs faster on Nvidia cards than Nvidia's solution. :3

Hopefully Nixxes targeted the 980 Ti/Titan X as the video card they optimized for play in 4K.

Port by Nixxes.

Color me interested. IIRC, Nixxes did the 360 port, and according to Eurogamer, the 360 port actually played a lot better than the Xbox One version because the 360 version had little to no input lag. If this PC version can get rid of the input lag as well, this could be a great game.

Kezen

Banned
SSAA is much more demanding. SMAA x1/2 will be much faster and better looking than FXAA.

That depends how customized their FXAA actually is. Tomb Raider 2013's "FXAA" was decent.
But it's most likel the same AA used on Xbone, so we know what to expect.

Color me interested. IIRC, Nixxes did the 360 port, and according to Eurogamer, the 360 port actually played a lot better than the Xbox One version because the 360 version had little to no input lag. If this PC version can get rid of the input lag as well, this could be a great game.

xbox 360 means life.

dr_rus

PureHair seems to be AMDs latest hair tech, didn't know they renamed/dropped TressFX. I think this is the first title with the tech on PC, so it will be interesting to see how it performs.
PureHair seems to be what CD named their heavily modified version of TressFX for RotTR. As I've been saying there really is no confirmation that they are using TressFX as provided by AMD. From what they've said during the dev it looks like they've modified the code of TressFX so much that they've decided to not even call it TressFX anymore.

kamineko

Does his best thinking in the flying car
How's the Season Pass for the game? Any content released that validates it?

The survival mode is a lot of fun, if that kind of non-story "test yourself" minigame is appealing to you

Baba Yaga sounds good, but it isn't out yet.

So I'd say potentially promising, but too soon to call

Zojirushi

Yeah, it is definitely less than optimal. Injecting is also less than optimal.

A game like this really needs good TAA options.

I think we've also seen quite a few good custom AA solutions in PC games lately. Wouldn't we expect something like this from a high profile game like this?

Anyway it s a screenshot, maybe there a more options.

Shepard

The survival mode is a lot of fun, if that kind of non-story "test yourself" minigame is appealing to you

Baba Yaga sounds good, but it isn't out yet.

So I'd say potentially promising, but too soon to call

Thanks, I only now noticed that there's no discount with the purchase of the Deluxe Edition compared to buying the base game + season pass separately. Base game it is, and I'll wait for the SP.

Well that is only the graphic options menu, there is also a display menu where there might be MSAA and other AA options.

Nixxes did the same thing in Absolution:

HitmanGraphics1_1353455197.jpg

Only FXAA in graphics menu, but under the display option there's also MSAA.

Yeah, was wondering if VXAO might also be in the display menu options. Hope there is SLI support like TR2013.

Kezen

Banned
Yeah, was wondering if VXAO might also be in the display menu options. Hope there is SLI support like TR2013.

No idea what it would be doing in the display section. If VXOA has to truly make the cut (I'm doubting it now because it is no longer mentioned), then I would expect it to be AO's "very high" settings.
Low = half res SSAO
Medium = BTAO used on the bone.
High = higher quality BTAO
Very high = VXAO

I really don't know from where people are getting that VXAO to be included in the game. VXAO is Voxel Based AO and is part of the algorithm of VXGI, You need to have the full tehc to get VXAO as a result of VXGI and trust me the tech is a really really early satges and can't be implemented in any game yet.

No idea what it would be doing in the display section. If VXOA has to truly make the cut (I'm doubting it now because it is no longer mentioned), then I would expect it to be AO's "very high" settings.
Low = half res SSAO
Medium = BTAO used on the bone.
High = higher quality BTAO
Very high = VXAO

Yeah, you're right. Thanks...

Kezen

Banned
I really don't know from where people are getting that VXAO to be included in the game.

The VXAO rumor started from this :
http://wccftech.com/nvidias-vxao-to-be-featured-in-rise-of-the-tomb-raider-heres-what-we-know/

http://majornelson.com/2016/01/05/rise-of-the-tomb-raider-is-coming-to-windows-store-on-january-28/
Crystal Dynamics has added a slew of awesome new Windows 10-specific features to the critically acclaimed game, including stunning 4K resolution support – and Rise of the Tomb Raider will be the first game ever to include cutting-edge VXAO technology, developed in partnership with NVIDIA.

Also mentioned in the official german press release.

But it's possible it was planned at some point and then canned for various reasons (production cost too high).

The VXAO rumor started from this :
http://wccftech.com/nvidias-vxao-to-be-featured-in-rise-of-the-tomb-raider-heres-what-we-know/

http://majornelson.com/2016/01/05/rise-of-the-tomb-raider-is-coming-to-windows-store-on-january-28/

Also mentioned in the official german press release.

But it's possible it was planned at some point and then canned for various reasons (production cost too high).

Of course that will be canned just like FaceWorks for Batman Arkham Knight. We don't have hardwares to run such techs running alone, let alone in a full fledged demanding game.

Top Bottom