• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rise of the Tomb Raider - High-Res Screenshots

The game is still a while off, but yea, it's not looking as impressive as I'd have expected. So far it doesn't really look much different to TR DE. Thankfully DE is still a great looking game, so it's not a big deal. Would have been nice to get a completely new all out engine AC Unity style though.

Yeah I'm surprised at how unimpressive it looks, because I remember playing TR DE at the time and thinking it looked amazing. I guess the bar has just been raised a lot the past year

naitosan

Looks great, knowing it's still early and those pictures look too grainy, maybe they used camera in front of screen to take pictures? I doubt those are direct captured. Lara looks great, she's supposed to mature quite a bit after the event of 2013's Tomb Raider.

Either way, I'm very excited and might be day one purchase.

Yeah, every game looks like shit nowadays. I was blown away by the Uncharted 4 demonstration at the Playstation event, but you get online and it's a totally different arena.

But Uncharted 4 does look like shit!
In a parallel universe in which everyone is out of their fucking gourd.

Prior shots made me think they were going to give unchartes a run for its money in the visuals department. These make it seem like it won't at all.

That being said I'm still excited. The Definite Edition was fun, I just would prefer to buy this one on PS4 instead of my XB1 because I have OCD with my games lining up, and it might run/look marginally better with the extra time in the oven (and because the DE was higher res on ps4)

Visually appealing, on par with Uncharted / The Order imo.
oprah-shakes-head.gif

Guri

Looks great. If it follows the same hub-world idea, then I am really excited for it. Will play it next year on my PC.

dex3108

Really..people comparing the visuals to last gen!? xD Calling it 360?? Have you not played many 360 games recently? I think current gen is messing with people's heads. These visuals are definitely a step above what last gen could do.

Even though they aren't really super impressive, still look pretty good for what they are going for IMO. If its a 1080p 30fps game on XB1, it makes sense it looks like it does. I will wait for the 1080p 60fps version by Nixxes(they better put Nixxes on the job)

We are not comparing it with last-gen, we think that X360 version is holding back X1 version and that is why screenshots are looking underwhelming.

Tuck

Lol so its basically Uncharted 2?

I kid, I kid. I'll play it eventually. First game was pretty solid though some of the set-pieces were a bit much.

Game4life

Banned
Looks meh. Hope Lara groans less this time and the story is bearable. Gameplay wise from what I read they seem to be improving on things. Dont add that XP bullshit please.

shandy706

Looking closer at this image...

...the textures are actually pretty darn good. If you look closely at her sleeve, you can see the individual threads of her jacket, even with the snow blending with it.

The incredible amount of blur, grain, and whatever else they have filtering on top of it (almsot an oil painting like image) severely washes out all the texture details. People not paying close enough attention...then again, it's hard to see with all that crap filtered over it.

Edit** Another observation. The threads on her right, our left, inside the jacket...the shader is catching light/casting shadows at the thread level.

Looks great, knowing it's still early and those pictures look too grainy, maybe they used camera in front of screen to take pictures? I doubt those are direct captured. Lara looks great, she's supposed to mature quite a bit after the event of 2013's Tomb Raider.

That's what I was thinking. Some of these pictures have a graininess to them that makes them look like they were scanned from a printout or something.

Game looks great though. I don't know what people are talking about with the Lara model, yeah it's slightly different but if you can't recognize that as the same person from TR 2013, I just don't know what to say to that.

LuuKyK

Its bizarre that they keep changing her face so much, but at least her new one is the best of the bunch.

Damn, am I the only one that thinks it looks good? Visually appealing, on par with Uncharted / The Order imo.

Maybe in whatever alternate reality you live in.

It certainly doesn't look bad, but lets not reach with these comparisons.

no maam

Banned
Got tr13 couple weeks ago on steam for 4$. Loving the game. If this is 60fps I'll definitely get it on the xb1, if not I'll wait for the pc version.

I just feel bad for all the guys that thought any different because another studio is "technically" handling the 360 version.

They're obviously going to think about last gen, even if they aren't developing it because of the publisher wanting it on those consoles. They will have been fully aware since day one that it was the case.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
Damn, am I the only one that thinks it looks good? Visually appealing, on par with Uncharted / The Order imo.

igJ2bvMohL0Ul.gif

The visuals are very disappointing given how good the first game looked. This is cross-gen rearing it's ugly ass head again.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
We are not comparing it with last-gen, we think that X360 version is holding back X1 version and that is why screenshots are looking underwhelming.

I'm pretty sure there are some posters asking whether it was the 360 version specifically.

Come on guys...this is not something 360 could do even at subnative while having a stable framerate.

There is definitely a step up here. Sure it might not be super big, but its there.

This isn't cross gen so peeps can stop making excuses, specially since the game looks great. I don't see other Xbox exclusives looking better.

CD is making the game without thinking about the 360, that's Nixes job.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Ah, sorry. Seemed quicker than reuploading them but if that's a thing on here I'll do that.

It's not that deeplinking is disallowed on GAF but rather PCGames.de is against it. You were seeing the images because they're in your browser's cache, but if you had cleared it and hit "Preview post" then they would have been replaced the very same error image others were seeing.

dex3108

This isn't cross gen so peeps can stop making excuses, specially since the game looks great.

CD is making the game without thinking about the 360, that's Nixes job.

You can't make map 30x30km if you want to put it on X360 and X360 doesn't have power to run it for example. Whatever they are saying they are thinking about X360 version and making compromises.

Reboot was ok. This one seems to be the same with winter textures pack...

I may have to look through other threads to know more about it.

The writing in the first game was god awful. The 'supporting' characters were absolutely atrocious, especially the fish loving boater (hilariously named 'Jonah')

I'm out.

Looking closer at this image...

...the textures are actually pretty darn good. If you look closely at her sleeve, you can see the individual threads of her jacket, even with the snow blending with it.

The incredible amount of blur, grain, and whatever else they have filtering on top of it (almsot an oil painting like image) severely washes out all the texture details. People not paying close enough attention...then again, it's hard to see with all that crap filtered over it.

Edit** Another observation. The threads on her right, our left, inside the jacket...the shader is catching light/casting shadows at the thread level.

I don't want to nit pick cause I think the visuals look fine but I just got done playing TLOU recently and her textures honestly don't look that much better than Ellies in the
WINTER Chapter

Shredderi

The setting looks nice but the cross-gen root is definitely showing. I wonder if they can visually really compete with other similar offerings towards the end of 2015.

Top Bottom