• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rise of the Tomb Raider - High-Res Screenshots

I don't think they will. They basically paid for a timed release/marketing costs because they needed something to go up against Uncharted 4 this year.

Couldn't they have paid for something that wasn't cross-gen? I really don't see how this is going to hold up with UC4.

It's funny. For a reboot series that wanted to reduce some of the 'sex appeal' Lara's past iteration had, they sure like altering her face and giving her a suspiciously looking 'Kim Kardashian' look.

Journey

Banned
I dunno why anyone is using PS4 exclusives as a point of comparison. Xbone is a whole lot weaker and the game is cross-gen, of course it's not going to look as good as top-drawer PS4 games. Personally I think it looks pretty good, easily among the best Xbone games.

We need some kind of standard gauge. What one person calls a "whole lot" may be just a little or somewhat more to another lol. What Xbox One can do at 900p, PS4 can do at 1080p with pretty much equal assets, that's what the difference pretty much boils down to.

Are they targeting 1080p for this one again? Hopefully they push the engine and deliver it at 900p on the bone, this way we get a 1080p PS4 version with 0 compromise.

jelly

CD saying this game isn't developed with last gen in mind is pure marketing speak. If you think they aren't sharing assets with Nixxes, I don't know what to say.

Some assets do start way beyond what ends up in games, what I'm worried about is Square basically funding two games with different design priorities which I find unlikely when you can kill two birds with one stone so whatever the Xbox One devs do will have to translate down to 360 in most areas, not just textures but encounters, set pieces etc. Square isn't funding it twice.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
The lighting on the faces reminds me of the lighting in Quantum Break, for some reason.

We need some kind of standard gauge. What one person calls a "whole lot" may be just a little or somewhat more to another lol. What Xbox One can do at 900p, PS4 can do at 1080p with pretty much equal assets, that's what the difference pretty much boils down to.

Not necessarily, I think PS4 still has better fillrate overhead at 1080p than Xbone does at 900p.

If they're aiming for 1080p with the Xbone version, too, then that will mean that the assets obviously have to be lower quality than if they aim for 900p.

And finally, of course, the cross-gen nature will have an impact.

My point is just: it's a little disingenuous to on the one hand accept that Xbone is a lot weaker than PS4, but then constantly compare Xbone exclusives to PS4 exclusives. Of course they don't look anywhere near as good.

Kezen

Banned
I don't think they will. They basically paid for a timed release/marketing costs because they needed something to go up against Uncharted 4 this year.

Good luck to MS because in the graphics department this game does not stand a chance against Uncharted 4.

Couldn't they have paid for something that wasn't cross-gen? I really don't see how this is going to hold up with UC4.

It's not. UC sells more on one systems than TR did on 5 (and it sold more on PS platforms iirc).

That's why it doesn't make any sense.

Those are just high quality scans from magazines, and it looks already great, when proper screenshots and a good quality video will be released we'll be able to judge it better

Correct, I'm merely going by the screens provided which don't look anywhere near as good. Cross Gen definitely does show. When we get actual gameplay, we'll get a better idea but I doubt that'll do this any favors.

Genio88

It looks good, but then again, so did the first game. On par with UC and the Order? No, not even close. Doesn't look better than Infamous or KZSF for that matter (or even Ryse). At least, not from these screens.

Those are just high quality scans from magazines, and it looks already great, when proper screenshots and a good quality video will be released we'll be able to judge it better

Amentallica

Unconfirmed Member
Curious, why do you not want an Xbox One (besides not wanting/able to spend the money obviously)? I went from Xbox 360 to PS4 this gen but I still have an Xbox One for the exclusives. Lots of good games coming for the XB1, even if you just play the exclusives on it..

I don't care about its exclusives, therefore it would be a waste of money for me to get one when I have a PS4. And obviously it's better to have a PS4 for multiplatform titles.

Actually, I considered picking up an Xbox One before I ever got my PS4 when they announced the Master Chief Collection. But when that came out and it was a disaster, that sealed the deal for me.

Ascenion

Comparing a partially cross-gen inhibited third party timed exclusive title to a first party exclusive from a top tier studio that has already released one title on the PS4 while being known for some of the best graphics in the business..... It's like you want to disappoint yourselves. I think the game looks really good and regardless of whether or not the Xbox One is capable, there is no reason to expect Uncharted 4 level graphics from it.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Looks good to me. Whether I buy on xbox or wait for ps4/PC will be down to how closely it releases to uncharted 4. If they are a month apart I'd probably get both this year.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Comparing a partially cross-gen inhibited third party timed exclusive title to a first party exclusive from a top tier studio that has already released one title on the PS4 while being known for some of the best graphics in the business..... It's like you want to disappoint yourselves. I think the game looks really good and regardless of whether or not the Xbox One is capable, there is no reason to expect Uncharted 4 level graphics from it.

CD has also release one game on cross gen, just like ND.

Genio88

Actually Tomb Raider 2013 looked better than Uncharted 3 so i guess is possible, plus you're still judging by these paper scans, when we'll have more content of this game, like we have of Uncharted 4, we could make a better comparison, i think they'll be pretty close graphics wise, they'll both be great.

Actually Tomb Raider 2013 looked better than Uncharted 3 so i guess is possible, plus you're still judging by these paper scans, when we'll have more content of this game, like we have of Uncharted 4, we could make a better comparison, i think they'll be pretty close graphics wise, they'll both be great.

TR on PS3/360 did not look better than UC3. Maybe on PC/Next-gen but then, of course it would since it's stronger hardware.

I enjoyed the reboot and will undoubtedly like this game. Is there any new word on exclusivity, my preference would be to play on PS4 first, xbone second, and PC last - I'll eventually buy the PC version to keep digitally forever, but I prefer waiting a year or two for all the shit to get ironed out.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
IIRC the exclusivity announcement at E3 specifically mentioned the holiday season. That sounds like 6 months to me but what the hell do I know?

All this cross gen speak just because this doesn't look as good as U4?

Unrealistic expectations. The game doesn't look like some cross gen launch shit. It's coming at the end of 2015.... and it looks great, and about as good as I've seen on the platform.

Forget about Uncharted 4, the crossgen speak is because this looks like a marginal improvement over TR: DE last year. This looks ok for a 2015 game, just ok. That's disappointing considering how great Tomb Raider looked for a 2013 game.

Has anyone already declared how this doesn't look any better than the first tomb raider on PSX? At least, that's the shit that I keep reading these days, because people either have the worst memory, were to young to remember, have gone blind or are just stupid. If I had to take a guess, i'd go with the latter.

Beautiful screens! Game looks stunning. People who expect Pixar/Hollywood blockbuster CG level graphics, should learn to keep their expectations in check and ask themself if their run-of-the-mill-PC-parts XBone could even handle anything like that (It couldn't).
Everybody less delusional should be just as pleased with the look of the game as I am.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Not Tomb Raider on consoles.

Only on PC maxed out (tressFX included) did i think Lara's old face looked really good. On console it looked very horrible IMO with the bad hair and low resolution texture maps. DE version looks much better in comparison to the console version

arevin01

The 2013 face has the hot while injured but I will still kick your ass look. This face looks like the I don't want to be here please help me look.

This is how I see the difference and prefer the older look.

Loakum

Banned
kgHQdlk.jpg

Why this this bear crying?

eot

Banned
I love snowy settings and it can't be worse than the last game.
This is coming to PC eventually, right?

They changed it again, this is the third version of her face since the reboot, i can't say this last version isn't a beautiful girl, but i liked better the first one.

original.jpg

I think this latest one looks the best and most natural. but yeahhh changing the look of your protaganist 3 times in 2 games is a bit wtf.

To be fair as far as I'm aware ND actually developed TLOU remastered themselves. TR definitive was done by United Front and Nixxes.

True, but DE was pretty good overall. Maybe not as good as TLOU (but the devs who are maybe better than ND can be counted on one hand).

The point is, this game barely looks better than that, which is ridiculous.

I enjoyed the reboot and will undoubtedly like this game. Is there any new word on exclusivity, my preference would be to play on PS4 first, xbone second, and PC last - I'll eventually buy the PC version to keep digitally forever, but I prefer waiting a year or two for all the shit to get ironed out.

My plan is pretty good I'd say. Unless the game is a 10/10 masterpiece somehow, I'm just going to wait 6 months. That way either:

A. It comes out on PS4/PC, likely the definitive version

or

B. It doesn't and I just pick it up super cheap for the X1.

Win-win either way.

Looks awesome.

Fuck Microsoft and Square for their bullshit though. I really enjoyed the first one on PC and sure as hell ain't getting an X1.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
True, but DE was pretty good overall. Maybe not as good as TLOU (but the devs who are maybe better than ND can be counted on one hand).

The point is, this game barely looks better than that, which is ridiculous.

Why is it ridiculous? It's launching on the same hardware and is still cross-gen. Looking a bit better is pretty much exactly what I'd expect from that.

Unless you mean, it's ridiculous that it's cross-gen, in which case, I agree.

Ushay

What are smoking here, these screens look incredible. Sure some of the textures are a little off, but overall it looks brilliant. Damn, standards went way too high since this generation started, I've seen much worse from other games that are current gen only.

Yeah, maybe after one year like Ryse and Dead Rising 3

Rumor is 4-6 months according to Kagari. Maybe if MS pays more they'll delay it a bit more but at the point they may as well not bother releasing on other platforms. SE likes money, they'll want to get this out on the much larger PS4 userbase and PC as fast as possible.

Why is it ridiculous? It's launching on the same hardware and is still cross-gen. Looking a bit better is pretty much exactly what I'd expect from that.

Unless you mean, it's ridiculous that it's cross-gen, in which case, I agree.

The fact that it's cross gen is specifically what's ridiculous. I have a hard time imagining that MS couldn't be bothered to spring for a bit more cash to make it X1 exclusive. At the very least then it wouldn't be as held back.

Stuggernaut

Grandma's Chippy
He's crying because he is REALLY hungry, I mean look at his model like slim waistline, he obviously did not plan well for winter.

x-Lundz-x

I don't care about its exclusives, therefore it would be a waste of money for me to get one when I have a PS4. And obviously it's better to have a PS4 for multiplatform titles.

Actually, I considered picking up an Xbox One before I ever got my PS4 when they announced the Master Chief Collection. But when that came out and it was a disaster, that sealed the deal for me.

Fair Enough, no Quantum Break love :(.

I just glad I have both so I don't have to wait is all. I got my XB1 for 299 so I feel I got a pretty good deal, and it's only used for Exclusives.

Top Bottom