• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rise of the Tomb Raider OT | Feat. 20% more tombs and 75% more chastising OP's title

For those wondering about the tombs there are apparently there are 9 optional challenge tombs. 10 if you count a forced one in the main story. They are bigger, more varied, take longer to complete, and in more tomb like environments. They are also better hidden and have some traps and some trickier platforming than anyhting in the reboot before reaching the tomb.

Sigh. These sound fun but I'm worried I'm going to miss them—this isn't the type of game where I want to have to return to and spend time carefully exploring each area. I missed a ton in the first game, and if these are harder to find...

I don't understand why they're optional in the first place tbh.

Sigh. These sound fun but I'm worried I'm going to miss them—this isn't the type of game where I want to have to return to and spend time carefully exploring each area. I missed a ton in the first game, and if these are harder to find...

Because they don't want to frustrate casuals.

AtmaVegeta

Neo Member
I'm excited, preordered few hours ago.

Just beat Tomb Raider yesterday and loved it. Actually thought the gameplay felt better than Uncharted (just not Story).

Should have been the cover art.

cDqhjZQ.jpg

Syriel

They give you nifty rewards, but you don't have to do them to complete the game.

And finding them isn't super difficult as you can find map items that indicate the general location and it pops an alert when you're near one.

Game also has fast travel so you can complete the optional bits at your leisure.

Ashtar

What was the original title? Anyway when I was first reading the OT I thought that Ana was "Lara Croft's" former lover not Lord Croft and my eyes just about bugged out of my head!

Anyway I was hoping my wife would get Fallout for PC so I could play TR unmolested but her PC ain't up to snuff so she's gonna get it on Xbox.... so I won't be playing tomb raider for a little while

JayB1920

Not hard to find just harder than:
969942781.jpg

In ROTR the message pops up much farther away and the entrances do not have white pain all over it.

What was the original title? Anyway when I was first reading the OT I thought that Ana was "Lara Croft's" former lover not Lord Croft and my eyes just about bugged out of my head!

Anyway I was hoping my wife would get Fallout for PC so I could play TR unmolested but her PC ain't up to snuff so she's gonna get it on Xbox.... so I won't be playing tomb raider for a little while

75 percent fewer potential customers or something like that.

Not picking this up anytime soon but eager to read impressions. The game looks fucking incredible but I still have concerns about the story - I hated every single person in the first game and even Lara felt like she barely had a personality. It sounds like they improved it this time so I'm excited to see what people think

I can't wait to get this. I finally got to playing through the first game and I'm loving it so far. I won't buy this game until I'm done with the reboot. I'm at the part where
Roth dies
. Anyone know how far I am into the first one?

If rise is anything like the first one, may very well be my goty

JayB1920

I can't wait to get this. I finally got to playing through the first game and I'm loving it so far. I won't buy this game until I'm done with the reboot. I'm at the part where
Roth dies
. Anyone know how far I am into the first one?

If rise is anything like the first one, may very well be my goty

Id say about 2/3 or so. There is a good amount left.

played for almost 11 hours lol
well, it is tomb raider 2013, but much much bigger, so if you have enjoyed the first one, you gonna love rise of
the story seems very dumb and i can't stand lara's VA, but the game is great fun
graphically it's simply beautiful, lara's face animations are incredible
perfomance wise it's pretty solid overall, some dips here and there, although the area where i am right now runs sighlty better than witcher 3 swamp on ps4 :/

Teemo

Banned
I won't be able to play the game until Wednesday night so for people who play the game, please check to see if there is real-time damage on Lara's shirt and pants. Stand around and let the enemies attack her and see if her shirt or her pants rip from bullets or melee damage. It might be only possible on higher difficulties, not sure. I will let you guys know my results in a day or two.

zsynqx

played for almost 11 hours lol
well, it is tomb raider 2013, but much much bigger, so if you have enjoyed the first one, you gonna love rise of
the story seems very dumb and i can't stand lara's VA, but the game is great fun
graphically it's simply beautiful, lara's face animations are incredible
perfomance wise it's pretty solid overall, some dips here and there, although the area where i am right now runs sighlty better than witcher 3 swamp on ps4 :/

Good to hear. Shame about the story/VA still not being great but I really enjoyed the last one so I imagine I will enjoy this one too.

so is there any game destroying glitches that corrupts your save file and leaves you starting COMPLETELY THE FUCK over from scratch for no apparent reason?

Because that's what just happened to me in definitive edition.

Like seriously WTF?!

Finally get going in the game, was having fun just collecting stuff, and BAM! Game cuts off and says my file is corrupted No back up -_-

Seriously this type of shit is unacceptable, getting the sequel when it's 10 F'n dollars went from a 8/10 to a 2/10 in 5 seconds.

Dominator

I won't be able to play the game until Wednesday night so for people who play the game, please check to see if there is real-time damage on Lara's shirt and pants. Stand around and let the enemies attack her and see if her shirt or her pants rip from bullets or melee damage. It might be only possible on higher difficulties, not sure. I will let you guys know my results in a day or two.
Can I ask why this is important to you?

Catdaddy

Ummm.. what???

Holy hell, a year?

I had no idea. Doesn't affect me as a Steam backlog merchant. Haven't seen this practice for a while. Hard times.

Looking forward to playing this eventually. Along with many ...

zsynqx

so is there any game destroying glitches that corrupts your save file and leaves you starting COMPLETELY THE FUCK over from scratch for no apparent reason?

Like seriously WTF?!

Finally get going in the game, was having fun just collecting stuff, and BAM! Game cuts off and says my file is corrupted No back up -_-

Seriously this type of shit is unacceptable, getting the sequel when it's 10 F'n dollars went from a 8/10 to a 2/10 in 5 seconds.

Hmmm that is not a widespread problem as far as I am aware. Sucks that it happened but I wouldn''t write off the sequel for that reason alone. The Last of Us for example had a bug which would make you lose saved data at launch, but even if that happened to me, not in a million years would I consider not buying future games from ND.

darkinstinct

...lacks reading comprehension.

Like seriously WTF?!

Just delete your local game save and next time you boot it will simply download the cloud save.

drotahorror

Mozz-eyes

Banned

Like seriously WTF?!

Yeah, I want to know this too. I was near the end of Definitive Edition on ps4 and my save bugged, putting me back about 3 hours to my last cloud save. I was livid.

Hmmm that is not a widespread problem as far as I am aware. Sucks that it happened but I wouldn''t write off the sequel for that reason alone. The Last of Us for example had a bug which would make you lose saved data at launch, but even if that happened to me, not in a million years would I consider not buying future games from ND.
yeah, I'm just ranting, I had a terrible morning where this lady made me miss my train, then I come home and get a corrupted save file in the middle of gameplay.

Really, feel like someone is messing with me today. And I didn't turn on auto Cloud-save since it was limited to 1GB at first. So dunno when was the last time the game even auto-saved, I turned it off months ago smh...

Geez....

Syriel

yeah, I'm just ranting, I had a terrible morning where this lady made me miss my train, then I come home and get a corrupted save file in the middle of gameplay.

Really, feel like someone is messing with me today. And I didn't turn on auto Cloud-save since it was limited to 1GB at first. So dunno when was the last time the game even auto-saved, I turned it off months ago smh...

Geez....

There has never been a 1GB limit to the Xbox One cloud save. It automatically puts all of your saves in the cloud.

darkinstinct

...lacks reading comprehension.

Geez....

Oh, you can turn that off on PS4? It's always enabled on Xbox.

Navy Bean

Geez....
I hear ya...whether widespread or not corrupted saves are the worst. I had a Fallout NV save corrupt after 25 hours and I was so bitter I never went back and am going to wait at least a few months before checking out Fallout 4.

Head.spawn

I can't wait to play this game in 4k later on down the line when the PC version is dirty cheap. The Xbox One version already looks fucking great, in tempted to pull the trigger now.

LegendX48

The same as the reboot. It's not really like the older games but it does a better job of having places to explore. I'm not far into the game but nothing I've seen so far has been complex.

The gameplay is the same as the Reboot but there are far fewer QTE's and slow motion moments. The crafting/upgrading has been given more depth and the HUB areas are much larger with more to do. The way it tries to veer closer to the older games is by focusing a bit more on the tombs and they are definitely a step up both in terms of size and puzzles. They require more steps to complete and some are in much larger tomb like environments and span more than one room.

That's good to hear. While I was not a fan of the reboot I did enjoy the mechanics and minute to minute gameplay.

I hear ya...whether widespread or not corrupted saves are the worst. I had a Fallout NV save corrupt after 25 hours and I was so bitter I never went back and am going to wait at least a few months before checking out Fallout 4.
tks man...I've seen quite a few threads about it on other forums, so at least I wasn't alone in my suffering. I did have one Cloud save all the way back from May, so at least I didn't have to start over completely from scratch, but after doing so much collecting, no desire to pick it up right now. I'm anal though, and don't like starting a new game until I at least beat the current one, so I'll have to run through this sometime soon.

Turning my Cloud save on auto from now on though...Geez, this was incredibly annoying. Still, if I'm going to go back after this gut punch, says something about the quality of the game. If the story elements and gameplay are improved, I will probably fall in love with the sequel.

Top Bottom