• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rise of the Tomb Raider timed Xbox exclusive for Holiday 2015 (No PS/PC, SE publish)

nib95

Banned
MS must have paid a bunch of moolah to get this exclusive.

And quite late in the game it seems. Last time SE did these sorts of deals with Microsoft (with the 360 JRPGs) it never paid off from what I remember reading. Wonder how it'll affect sales this time around.

cebri.one

What is with this terrible analogy being drawn? It's been drawn more than once now.

Bloodborne is a SCEJ co-developed SCE published SCE owned new IP, always announced as an exclusive title. It is not a sequel to a multiplatform reboot, from a multiplatform franchise, published by a third party publisher, made by a third party developer, owned by a third party publisher, formerly announced for multiple platforms.

Don't waste your time. They just don't want to understand that is not the same.

Megatron

I do understand that, but wouldn't you agree that we as consumers should be able to know what product are we buying? If tis a all-time exclusive then is fine, I don't like it but well can't have it all. My problem is that, as part of their marketing strategy, they are using an extremely deceptive word.

What do you mean what product we are buying? If you're an XB1 owner, do you really care if the game is eventually coming to other systems? If you aren't, then you aren't buying the product at all. I hope this isn't coming across as snarky, I'm genuinely asking.

"Only $800"

You may wipe your ass with $100 bills but don't act like it's totally reasonable and affordable for everyone to own all of the consoles

Although there is an odd logic with video games. People think 400 is too much for a game system, but will pay 600 for an iPad. I am not defending the guy, but it is possible to own all 3 consoles if you budget your money and wait for sales.

This put the game on the map for many gamers...those who have an xbox (who are their market) are happy and have visibility. Wonder what studies have been done on this sort of thing.

why would someone who already has an xbox be excited? they were going to get the game for their system anyway

lawful

Banned
Wait wait wait wait, hold up.

Didn't somebody say Sony stole Tomb Raider 2 from Sega Saturn to effectively bury the system? We're glossing over that right? Yeah glossing, check.

graywolf323

w2j1RAH.png

still annoyed they never brought the PS3 version stateside

Cognitive Dissonance, Distilled
This game wasn't on my radar at all. Does this game exist in any form besides a trailer at this point? Are people just assuming it's going to be good because of the TR name?

rdrr gnr

And quite late in the game it seems. Last time SE did these sorts of deals with Microsoft (with the 360 JRPGs) it never paid off from what I remember reading. Wonder how it'll affect sales this time around.
Not that forum posts translate to sales, but this thread is at 60 pages. Another TR trailer might have broken 10 pages -- maybe.

Damn props to MS. They have bitchslapped Sony last year making an exclusive game with an iconic, exclusive team like insomniac make a game for them, Ted Price stating it's only possible on Xbox One. This year, they announce Tomb Raider, an iconic game that raised to power through Sony, exclusive fall 2015 release.

God damn.

It should be noted in this thread, were some fanboys expect this game to be released on another platform 6 months later (lol, you are in for a huge disappointment), that every 3rd party exclusive is a timed exclusive; if they wanted an exclusive game forever, MSFT would need to buy the franchise. Even REMake, which was a Nintendo locked exclusive, and those guys know how to lock a game, is coming now to other platforms.

The point is that it will probably remain exclusive for at least 3 years; could release on PC before, but this is what an exclusive is, sorry to break reality on you.

And this is not a new move, and every platform holder has done this before. Remember when Soul Calibur 3 was a PS2 exclusive, even though SC2 sold best on the GCN? Same exact thing.

Now, stop the salty tears.

Wow, you are super cool. How does it feel to be so super cool, guy?

Wait wait wait wait, hold up.

Didn't somebody say Sony stole Tomb Raider 2 from Sega Saturn to effectively bury the system? We're glossing over that right? Yeah glossing, check.

The Saturn was buried outside of Japan for more reasons than just Tomb Raider.

Zoned

Actively hates charity
I don't really care about console wars, but when third party publishers says "fuck you" to their avid fans who play on PC, it hurts.

Damaniel

Banned
SE is free to do what they want, though limiting sales of one of your biggest games to the platform with the smallest number of sales does seem a bit self-limiting. And while missing out on the new TR game is a little disappointing, it's not enough of a 'must-play' title to make me go buy an Xbox One just to play it (the Halo collection, on the other hand...)

I fully expect this game to see release on other platforms at some point, probably through the release of a GOTY edition or something similar. I can wait.

MS is in desperate mode, they NEED to move systems, add that to the fact they have no trust whatsoever to their first party studios and this shouldn't come as a surprise. Still the amount of money, they possibly paid for this, doesn't make sense
Microsoft is desperate and need to move consoles. Yeah... Okay.

I can just imagine the conversations between Phil Spencer and Square.

"WE NEED TO SELL XBOX ONES RIGHT NOW!"

"Why?"

"THE INTERNET THINKS WE'RE FAILING BECAUSE WE'VE ONLY SOLD ABOUT 5 MILLION CONSOLES IN 9 MONTHS"

"Oh."

"BECAUSE WE NEED TO SELL XBOX ONES RIGHT NOW, WE WANT TO HAVE YOUR 2015 TITLE EXCLUSIVE. WE WANT A GAME THAT COMES OUT NEXT YEAR BECAUSE THAT'LL SELL CONSOLES RIGHT NOW!"

Top Bottom