• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Robin Williams dead at 63

Status
Not open for further replies.

Killua

I've never been affected by a celebrity death before. But this one hits home like a knife to my heart. Robin Williams was a part of my childhood. Almost like losing a family member or an old friend. R.I.P. Robin. You will be missed.

Kirlia

Banned
Depression is something that is hard for people to truly understand. It's like being trapped in a mental hell, where every second you are hitting the lowest of lows (rock bottom/in the gutter) emotions. It almost paralyzes you, and you are constantly questioning why you are alive. Your thoughts start to wander into dark places, and it's hard to break from it. It then becomes more and more difficult to find motivation to even get out of the bed every morning.

If you've found yourself in a slump, where you can't get yourself motivated to do things in your life. I don't know, like you spend an entire day or week doing nothing. Time just keeps flying by, and you realize you are wasting your life. Imagine that being your existence EVERY day on top of all the emotional pain and turmoil. It's a truly terrifying way to live.

It's like your brain is overheating. You're in mental pain all the time, whether it's a dull ache or a pain so awful, you just want to die right then and there. The pain consumes everything, all of your happy memories, all of the people you care about, all the people who care about you...it's like a window with all the happy things in your life shrinking and shrinking until you can't see it anymore, and there's nothing left but your doubts and fears and hateful thoughts. And it feels like it will never, ever go away.

I pray that his soul rests in peace and is no longer haunted by pain and sorrow.

Majine

Banned
I can see myself in Robin in the sense that I suffer from depression but to my friends I am the funny guy, that often and easily can make them laugh. And this scares me.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
BuzEbf3IYAAZlDl.jpg

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
Dont understand whats crazy about this? Get people who have suicidal tendencies help. It is a selfish act pretty and that is accepted by everyone. Whenever you hear about suicide that is the message from everyone.

It shows an utter lack of sensitivity and ignorance of what clinical depression does to a person. He's talking like Williams killed himself after losing money over a weekend in Vegas. Depression is a disease, and a (obviously) misunderstood one.

It's depression. I've never personally dealt with it, but from my understanding it is a neurochemical issue that causes people to be in extreme sad states. Basically he would feel incredibly shitty all the time. It wasn't like he willingly and rationally chose to do this, depression did it to him and he shouldn't be to blame.

Imagine having a mental illness that puts you in a profound state of sadness and hopelessness for years at a time. Clinical depression is a deadly disease with a very high mortality rate.

The intent of that post was not even remotely to question why he did it. Obviously he was depressed. But depressed people commit suicide all the time and are thoughtful enough to leave a letter to their family. I'm struggling with reconciling the loving father who doted on his daughter with the man who, as far as we know, chose to not leave his loved ones a final word. To not hear from the man himself why he did it not and get a glimpse of what was going through his head is hard enough for the fans, but infinitely more so for his family and friends.

C4Lukins

"So if I asked you about art you’d probably give me the skinny on every art book ever written...Michelangelo? (beat) You know a lot about him. Life's work, political aspirations, him and the pope, sexual orientation, the whole works, right? But I bet you can't tell me what it smells like in the Sistine Chapel. You've never actually stood there and looked up at that beautiful ceiling. Seen that.....If I asked you about women you'd probably give me a syllabus of your personal favorites. You may have even been laid a few times. But you can't tell me what it feels like to wake up next to a woman and feel truly happy. You're a tough kid. I ask you about war, and you'd probably--uh--throw Shakespeare at me, right? "Once more into the breach, dear friends." But you've never been near one. You've never held your best friend's head in your lap and watched him gasp his last breath, looking to you for help. And if I asked you about love y'probably quote me a sonnet. But you've never looked at a woman and been totally vulnerable. Known someone could level you with her eyes. Feeling like God put an angel on earth just for you...who could rescue you from the depths of hell. And you wouldn't know what it’s like to be her angel and to have that love for her to be there forever. Through anything. Through cancer. You wouldn't know about sleeping sittin’ up in a hospital room for two months holding her hand because the doctors could see in your eyes that the term visiting hours don't apply to you. You don't know about real loss, because that only occurs when you love something more than you love yourself. I doubt you've ever dared to love anybody that much."

Few could have delivered those lines with such a gracefulness and depth of feeling, such that can only come from an older actor who's suffered the wear and tear over the years.

One of the greatest. Rest easy.

Love this performance. It is odd but I just got a new dog that my friend had to give up. And I let out a terrible beer toot this morning and she woke up instantly looking all distressed. Immediately I thought of that movie.

legbone

Most people on NeoGAF are probably way to young to remember this:

zY4ln0p.jpg

not me. nanu nanu or however it's spelled.

RIP Robin Williams.

I watched a lot of Popeye as a child also. I remember seeing it in the theater when I was a child. I guess it was the first Robert Altman film I had ever seen.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Suicide from clinical depression is "selfish" in the way a person who has lost their right arm is "selfish" when they can't help someone carry a load.

Burt

I stay out of "death" threads as a general rule. I don't know why, but I always found the majority of posts in them trite, excessive, or coming off unjustifiably emotional. Like I said, I don't really know why. I'm not a huge social media guy in my personal life, so I guess I just had a hard time accepting how the social dynamic and norms for this sort of thing had changed.

I say "had" because for the first time ever, I finally get it. I'm sorry I ever felt that way, and I'm sorry that Robin Williams is gone.

RIP

Dont understand whats crazy about this? Get people who have suicidal tendencies help. It is a selfish act pretty and that is accepted by everyone. Whenever you hear about suicide that is the message from everyone.
congrats on not knowing anything about what youre talking about

Mononoke

Banned
It's like your brain is overheating. You're in mental pain all the time, whether it's a dull ache or a pain so awful, you just want to die right then and there. The pain consumes everything, all of your happy memories, all of the people you care about, all the people who care about you...it's like a window with all the happy things in your life shrinking and shrinking until you can't see it anymore, and there's nothing left but your doubts and fears and hateful thoughts. And it feels like it will never, ever go away.

I pray that his soul rests in peace and is no longer haunted by pain and sorrow.

I just wish that people would consider that they can't relate or know what it's like to be clinically depressed (if they don't suffer from any mental illness). And that they have compassion for those that do, and aren't so harsh when someone takes their life because they can't take it anymore.

I think most people mix up clinical depression with someone that is situationally depressed. It's not the same thing. I mean no disrespect by making this comparison, but imagine having a stab wound that never heals, and is always opening up. It's a wound that isn't getting healed, and you are basically dealing with it day in and day out. To me, mental illness is no different then an injury or disease. Anyways, that's all I have to say. I'm pretty emotionally distraught because I. I loved him as an actor/person II. This is bringing up my family members suicide and is hitting too close to home.

I need to go lie down.

RIP Robin, he brought a lot of happiness and laughter into my laugh growing up. I'll always remember him for what he did to help me grow as a person, even though he never knew me.

Holy fuck :(
This is hitting me pretty hard. The guy seemed like one of the most genuine and nicest people out there in Hollywood. It's incredibly awful how great of a comedian and spirit we lost today.

RIP Robin. You've impacted my life in such a positive way, I can't help but be thankful for you.

I'm not saying this in a condescending way, but maybe educate yourself a bit more on depression. We've gotten past the point of seeing suicide as a "cowardly act".

Yagharek

Severe depression is a medical illness. You would never say someone is selfish for having cancer or a stroke. This is no different.

People with severe depression need help but it is sadly, a kind of illness where the person can hide it from others and actively avoid help even though they know they need it.

Krejlooc

Banned
not me. nanu nanu or however it's spelled.

RIP Robin Williams.

I watched a lot of Popeye as a child also. I remember seeing it in the theater when I was a child. I guess it was the first Robert Altman film I had ever seen.

Oh man I forgot he played Popeye, too. Damn he was great in that role.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
Fucking hell.
I just hope people learn from this. Please go see doctors if you are depressed. There is nothing to be ashamed about.

RIP....:(

zsswimmer

congrats on not knowing anything about what youre talking about

I dont get whats so controversial about it. Like I mentioned in another post, I've been dealing with depression for the past decade, but to my real life friends I'm the one they turn to for laughter. I've absolutely acted selfish because of it, and maybe its somewhat justifiable, but it doesn't make it less true. I've lashed out at family members, isolated myself and made them worry beyond belief and all sorts of other selfish acts.

Kodeman

Assholes being assholes on that IMDB forum, it will just enrage you if you read it.

Jeez. I would have thought that if anyone in the world would be safe from this kind of nonsense it would be Robin. How these people can be speaking ill of him is beyond me.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
I was playing a game online just now, and someone typed RIP Robin Williams in the chat. I had no idea. Holy shit. Now I'm reading up on it and it's suicide? So tragic.

I battle severe clinical depression every day (thankfully I have a group of therapists), so this hits me extra hard. This type of mental illness is no joke. It's so sad he couldn't find that reason.

ElRenoRaven

Great description. It's true too. I won't lie. I myself struggle with depression all the time. In fact today I myself was longing for a damn bullet. It's a very nasty illness that many of us deal with every day of our lives. I wish nobody had to deal with this disease. That's what it is too. It affects you mentally and even affects your health physically. It can eat you alive if you let it. Sadly it took a great man from us all today.

xaosslug

"So if I asked you about art you’d probably give me the skinny on every art book ever written...Michelangelo? (beat) You know a lot about him. Life's work, political aspirations, him and the pope, sexual orientation, the whole works, right? But I bet you can't tell me what it smells like in the Sistine Chapel. You've never actually stood there and looked up at that beautiful ceiling. Seen that.....If I asked you about women you'd probably give me a syllabus of your personal favorites. You may have even been laid a few times. But you can't tell me what it feels like to wake up next to a woman and feel truly happy. You're a tough kid. I ask you about war, and you'd probably--uh--throw Shakespeare at me, right? "Once more into the breach, dear friends." But you've never been near one. You've never held your best friend's head in your lap and watched him gasp his last breath, looking to you for help. And if I asked you about love y'probably quote me a sonnet. But you've never looked at a woman and been totally vulnerable. Known someone could level you with her eyes. Feeling like God put an angel on earth just for you...who could rescue you from the depths of hell. And you wouldn't know what it’s like to be her angel and to have that love for her to be there forever. Through anything. Through cancer. You wouldn't know about sleeping sittin’ up in a hospital room for two months holding her hand because the doctors could see in your eyes that the term visiting hours don't apply to you. You don't know about real loss, because that only occurs when you love something more than you love yourself. I doubt you've ever dared to love anybody that much."

Few could have delivered those lines with such a gracefulness and depth of feeling, such that can only come from an older actor who's suffered the wear and tear over the years.

One of the greatest. Rest easy.

http://youtu.be/qM-gZintWDc?t=47s

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
A legend and an all time great. I going to do some rewatches this week, if this helps anyone else looking to do the same.

Netflix:

Jumanji
Hook
The Birdcage
Popeye
World's Greatest Dad
The Fisher King
Weapons of Self Destruction

Amazon Instant:

World's Greatest Dad
The Birdcage
Popeye

I was just thinking I watched a lot of Popeye when I was a kid. :(

I posted this in the Netflix thread. To add to his list and to those with VPN's:

Mrs. Doubtfire (Netherlands)
Good Will Hunting (Mexico/Sweden/UK)
Robots (Mexico)
Bicentennial Man (Mexico)
Insomnia (Mexico)
Good Morning, Vietnam (Canada)
RV (Canada)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom