• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rock Band 4 |OT| We're Putting The Rock Band Back Together

DarkOneX

How are people not understanding exports? This shit has been around for about 8 years now and you're just getting to it?

Ya I'm not sure on the understanding part, the only reason I'm fumbling with it now is I never bought Rock Band 3 I only bought 1 and 2 and I bought the RB1 export key but never 2 so I'm fighting trying to find a way of doing that now years later. Honestly do any of us know if that's even necessary yet? I mean what's to say that once they get the exports into RB4 working that the codes we have now on the RB2 manual won't just work with their new option? I mean what if I don't need to be torturing myself chatting with EA and spending $20 on the game now if I don't have to? Does anybody know for sure, did they say anywhere that you will only be able to export to RB4 in the future if you bought and did the export from RB2 to 3 in the past?

Jeremy

I didn't know exporting songs from RB1 and RB2 would work so that's pretty great. The only problem I have now is that the Xbox 360 was my only console during my Rock Band days. I have a PS4 and an Xbox One now but I rarely if ever use the Xbox One.

Southcott

Ya I'm not sure on the understanding part, the only reason I'm fumbling with it now is I never bought Rock Band 3 I only bought 1 and 2 and I bought the RB1 export key but never 2 so I'm fighting trying to find a way of doing that now years later. Honestly do any of us know if that's even necessary yet? I mean what's to say that once they get the exports into RB4 working that the codes we have now on the RB2 manual won't just work with their new option? I mean what if I don't need to be torturing myself chatting with EA and spending $20 on the game now if I don't have to? Does anybody know for sure, did they say anywhere that you will only be able to export to RB4 in the future if you bought and did the export from RB2 to 3 in the past?

You 100% need a copy of Rock Band 3, the code that comes inside Rock Band 2 no longer works as it had to be input into a Harmonix website that no longer exists to generate the code EA are giving out.

It's really not too hard to get the code from EA, it might take a few attempts though.

Cheapest idea is just to rent Rock Band 3.

EDIT: For people in the UK the cheapest way to get Rock Band 3 is from the following places:

CeX - £8.00 Instore, £10.50 delivered online
GAME - £12.99 Instore, OOS online

You can return to these retailers as well saying it was an unwanted gift after as well, not that I condone that behaviour haha.

Did you click on it and make sure? It is doing the same to me, but when I select the song, I get a message that I need to install the song. The Rock Band Store within the game pretty much sucks since it does not properly update or show what you already purchased or what is installed. It does it for some, but others are messed up.
Yeah, I did the same and just went through ALL OVER AGAIN and redownloaded the $2 tracks and they came up fine.
Thanks!

cakely

I didn't know exporting songs from RB1 and RB2 would work so that's pretty great. The only problem I have now is that the Xbox 360 was my only console during my Rock Band days. I have a PS4 and an Xbox One now but I rarely if ever use the Xbox One.

If you own a bunch of Xbox 360 Rock Band DLC, it's time to make friends with your Xbox One again. :)

evanmisha

The odds of that happening are basically zero. There's an actual chance some of the bigger songs will get relicensed for DLC, though.

FyreWulff

The odds of that happening are basically zero. There's an actual chance some of the bigger songs will get relicensed for DLC, though.

Also the reason for this is because those games are published (technically, distributed and Viacom was the actual legal publisher, but that's a whole thread on it's own)by EA, whereas this one is published by Madcatz. Harmonix can't plug into EA's infrastructure anymore even if they wanted to.

The reason it's so difficult now post-expiration is that you're basically asking a publisher to help you get content into a game now owned by another publisher. Warner Brothers finally did a hard cut on Lego support, so it's amazing EA is still even taking calls for RB2.

DarkOneX

You 100% need a copy of Rock Band 3, the code that comes inside Rock Band 2 no longer works as it had to be input into a Harmonix website that no longer exists to generate the code EA are giving out.

It's really not too hard to get the code from EA, it might take a few attempts though.

Cheapest idea is just to rent Rock Band 3.

EDIT: For people in the UK the cheapest way to get Rock Band 3 is from the following places:

CeX - £8.00 Instore, £10.50 delivered online
GAME - £12.99 Instore, OOS online

You can return to these retailers as well saying it was an unwanted gift after as well, not that I condone that behaviour haha.

Right I understand you need a code to export Rock Band 2 songs into 3, but what if we didn't need one (or a new one from bugging EA 50 times *still no luck with them yet!) to export RB2 to 4. Also as far as renting goes we only have 1 rental place here, checked this weekend and they only carry RB1 and a couple track packs oddly so that's out of the question.

Can you have 2 profiles on one Xbox both with different DLC, and use both at the same time?

If yes, do both need to be logged in at the same time? What if both set the same consoleas their primary one?

Basically, me and my friend want to use all and import all his old Rock Band 1,2 and 3 content, but he doesnt have an Xbox One yet, and maybe won't ever get one, so I want to buy any new DLC on my account.

Southcott

Right I understand you need a code to export Rock Band 2 songs into 3, but what if we didn't need one (or a new one from bugging EA 50 times *still no luck with them yet!) to export RB2 to 4. Also as far as renting goes we only have 1 rental place here, checked this weekend and they only carry RB1 and a couple track packs oddly so that's out of the question.

You will need one, they aren't going to just let people who never exported the games in time get the songs for free when people who went through the actual processes paid the fees etc.

EDIT: Don't get me wrong, as people have noted throughout the thread, Harmonix might end up retrieving the licences for some of the bigger songs from Rock Band 1, 2, AC/DC, Lego Rock Band etc and have them as downloadable content at a later date but that completely depends on the success of Rock Band 4

evanmisha

It's not that you need the code to export the songs into RB3, it's that you need RB3 to initiate the export license purchase. They won't patch this functionality into RB4 for a few reasons.

First, why would they want people to go fish out RB2? It's out of print. They'll see no return on their investment.

Second, the investment. EA's agreement with the music labels for these songs has lapsed, so it would require Harmonix to renegotiate a new contract with all of them, all to benefit people who aren't going to give them any more money for this purpose. It would be much smarter for them to renegotiate releasing the songs wholesale as DLC. There's at least profit in that venture.

DarkOneX

You will need one, they aren't going to just let people who never exported the games in time get the songs for free when people who went through the actual processes paid the fees etc.

EDIT: Don't get me wrong, as people have noted throughout the thread, Harmonix might end up retrieving the licences for some of the bigger songs from Rock Band 1, 2, AC/DC, Lego Rock Band etc and have them as downloadable content at a later date but that completely depends on the success of Rock Band 4

I didn't say free? I mean you'd still have to own RB2 to have that code so you paid for the game, then make us pay the $10 free to export just like doing RB2 to 3.

Alright, so yesterday was a Rock Band adventure for me.

Picked up preordered BiaB for ps4 yesterday morning from BestBuy (got code for 30 songs immediately after pickup) and after setup, played a few songs on each instrument. No issues spotted yet.

Later in the day i realized, in horror, that i never exported 1 or 2 On My Account. My big bro, due to his love and charity, bought the exports for me and downloaded onto my ps3 but all under his account.

RB1 is no issue. Got a copy for $5 off ebay, and the export key from PSN. But RB2, of course.......

1st try with EA regarding an export code for RB2 was unsuccessful. 2nd try was promising, i got a guy saying he could but he was "limited by his tool". So i asked to speak, on the phone, with someone who isn't "limited by his tool". (Lol)

On the phone, the rep insisted i contact harmonix, that they no longer could generate codes, and that function left when harmonix did. He emailed me the link to the Help Forum section of hmx's website. Still on the phone, i made sure he knew that. That he was sending me to a forum with 0 chance of me resolving my issue. (Exporting 2 into 3).

That's when he went to talk to his supervisor for a "workaround". And then he emailed me a 12 digit code, which i entered into the playstation store website, and i redeemed an item labeled "Rock Band 3" with the description "Rock Band 2 Export Pack Unlock." It was only until then that i hung up and rejoiced.

Not sure if it even works, but i'll be trying very very soon.

Tl;dr - rb4 is goog so far; got export key for rb2 from ea; am happy

DarkOneX

Did Rock Band 3 have an export key printed on the manual? I finally got EA to give me a code but he said it was for Rock Band 3 as they no longer supported doing that for Rock Band 2. So I got a key but not sure if that's what I need before I plop down $20 more for the game.

FyreWulff

Did Rock Band 3 have an export key printed on the manual? I finally got EA to give me a code but he said it was for Rock Band 3 as they no longer supported doing that for Rock Band 2. So I got a key but not sure if that's what I need before I plop down $20 more for the game.

It did, but only on EA copies. Madcatz copies don't have codes.

You can try putting that code into RB3's redeem code and see if it's an RB2 code

evanmisha

In their system, the RB2 export code is listed as RB3 for some reason. Whether it's still working or not is another question, but you more than likely have a RB2 export key.

I recently found out about this and can't believe i didn't know i could turn off folks in rb3. So in static mode, it actually plays the notes from the song that a free fill would cover up?
I think so?

Sorry, I don't know the names off the top of my head. But your description sounds accurate!

yes. in rb3 those notes don't count for points and don't break combo if unplayed though - it's exactly like Beatles.

edit: a video of drums in rb3 with the beatles activations

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dHNS9eXFBWU

Thanks! That's so awesome and i can't believe i didn't know about this. I have ions so I am fairly serious about the drums.

I may need to switch to static because i don't like missing out on being able to play original parts of the song. Same reason I won't play freestyle solos on my first playthrough of a song.

Jeremy

If you own a bunch of Xbox 360 Rock Band DLC, it's time to make friends with your Xbox One again. :)

So much DLC that I couldn't reasonably switch to PS4 with a clear conscience. Kind of disappointing but I understand.

I recently found out about this and can't believe i didn't know i could turn off folks in rb3. So in static mode, it actually plays the notes from the song that a free fill would cover up?

I HAD NO IDEA...

Here's some stuff I thought of for the FAQ section:

1. Link to the Reddit spreadsheet with the DLC songs having issues

2. Guide to updating instrument firmware

3. Guide to asking EA for RB2 export - chat link

4. XB1 legacy instruments must have their batteries removed to power them down

5. Guide to correctly download the pre-order DLC and not Jane 10+ times

6. Section detailing score differences between static fills, dynamic fills, legacy fills (or whatever they're called) and freestyle guitar solos

7. To download your legacy DLC, you have to go through the store one by one. If you're on XB1, you can give this a try but few have been successful. Seems to work if you have a low DLC count.

8. Yes, it's hard to find stock of most things

9. Standalone instruments and cymbals not available until next year

10. Ion support for PS4 and weird XB1 work around

And, for fun, tons of useless facts about the RB4 setlist.

To my knowledge, most of this info from various members/sources is correct but if anyone sees any glaring errors, let me know.

blackflag

This RB4 guitar is the GOAT. I always thought the other RB guitars were trash and always used GH guitars but they finally got it right.

Like others, most of the songs I purchased don't show up as purchased. even within albums or song packs some show and some dont.

And is there really no packs or albums for sale on the RB4 store? I only see singles.

Jeremy

A lot of my former DLC is on the messed up list. Have they addressed bringing this back or fixing it? This all just sounds problematic at the moment and with individual instruments coming next year I'm almost tempted to wait until everything is figured out.

GC71388

If anyone has a rb2 export key for 360, I have an Amazon gift card l can trade you. Inbox me please. I've tried with ea support about 30 times and each time they send me to harmonix support. If anyone is willing to help out, I'd be greatly appreciative

Hahaa.... If I try to access my purchased Iron Maiden track packs, the store says "noting found". But all the individual tracks are there, with a nice price attached to them. Damn, so close.

T.O.P

Banned
The number of people getting the X1 bundle only to find inside PS4 accessories is kinda worrying me lol

Especially with the already low number of bundles abvailability :|

sonto340

The number of people getting the X1 bundle only to find inside PS4 accessories is kinda worrying me lol

What. Oh man. Assuming I can even find an Xbox one version of band in a box, I'd absolutely explode if this happened.

ViciousDS

Banned

huh? All my stuff was X1....that's interesting.

Has any other gaffer had this issue? I only saw those who were actually missing games.

blackflag

I got lucky and just happened to see one last Xbone BIAB at targt. Didn't even plan on getting it but I impulse bought it last night. It was all the right equipment.

Cathcart

There is nothing confusing about the export process
Sure there is.

To get Rock Band 1 you can buy the Export Key from either the Xbox Marketplace or the PlayStation Store
Is this still possible? If so, can someone link it on the Xbox Marketplace? Because I found a Rock Band Export Key on their site but every time I try to buy it I get an error message.

To get Rock Band 2 Songs you need to go to EA's Live Chat Help Centre, tell them your Export Code isn't working and you need a new one, it might take a few tries but you will get one. This code you then input into Rock Band 3 under the Get More Songs option then Redeem Code - type in the code you got from EA and then pay the £10 / $10 fee to redeem the song pack.
This is extra confusing to me. Last Sunday I took my old copy of RB2 and found the code. I then put a new copy of RB3 in my 360 and used the code from RB2. It worked and I was then told to buy a ten dollar export key, which I did and is now in my purchase history. Why would I have to call EA? I'm sure I'm missing something, but it seemed to work fine so I don't get all of the "call EA" stuff. Do I still need to call EA?

ViciousDS

Banned
Can you not get to stuff that's delisted? On 360 you'd technically be able to redownload stuff removed from the store once you own it...

you can.....its just not all up there atm....they haven't got all the songs onto the store yet. They are slowly rolling out everything....but all delisted songs will be re downloadable again.

Man, I'm hoping I have a better experience with drums when I get home....because I never, ever played that bad before. Something is wrong with my red pad or the firmware update didn't work....because I hit update and it didn't even say updating it was just instantly done.

Off Topic
Anyone else picking up GH Live as well? My little brother wanted the guitar combo for rock band but the problem is the on disc songs are not that great and it seems that without having a good amount of money invested you really lose out on a lot. I was thinking of picking him up guitar hero instead because GHTV will give him plenty of songs to play without having to shell out a ton.

j-wood

Sure there is.

Is this still possible? If so, can someone link it on the Xbox Marketplace? Because I found a Rock Band Export Key on their site but every time I try to buy it I get an error message.

This is extra confusing to me. Last Sunday I took my old copy of RB2 and found the code. I then put a new copy of RB3 in my 360 and used the code from RB2. It worked and I was then told to buy a ten dollar export key, which I did and is now in my purchase history. Why would I have to call EA? I'm sure I'm missing something, but it seemed to work fine so I don't get all of the "call EA" stuff. Do I still need to call EA?

You don't have to call EA. You have to call EA if you can't buy the 10 dollar export key, which was supposed to be delisted. Not sure how you bought it, unless you already had it.

Holy fuck, kudos to anyone who can keep a combo on Dream Genie on drums. Easily, EASILY the craziest drum song on disc. Both technical and a stamina test. I consider myself not too shabby and ended up with 3 stars and 78% with no fail on.

Oof.

j-wood

Yeah, i can't understand for the life of my why they still use the rubber band strum bar with absolutely NO feedback. It's awful.

Top Bottom