• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rock Band Blitz |OT| Rocking Out in the Instrument-Free World

FyreWulff

blitzBox.jpg

Developer: Harmonix
Platforms: XBLA, PSN
Release Date: August 28th, 2012
Price: $14.99 / 1200 MSP
Players: 1, with online competitive challenges and leaderboards

eRqWAmKl.jpg

Rock Band Blitz is a new game in the Rock Band platform of games that trades away the instruments for beatmatch gameplay similar
to previous Harmonix titles Amplitude, Frequency, and Rock Band DS/Unplugged. Instead of playing one lane at a time like previous
Rock Band titles, you switch between each lane yourself, trying to raise each lane's multiplier while juggling powerups and combo.

6GmKuNNl.jpg

Blitz, being part of the Rock Band Platform, is also backwards compatible and forwards compatible with all DLC (with a couple of exemptions),
and every exportable Rock Band track from Rock Band 1, Rock Band 2, Lego Rock Band and Green Day: Rock Band. It is also compatible
with every Rock Band Network song. Purchasing Blitz also allows you to play all of the Blitz songs in Rock Band 3 instantly with no extra export
fee. At this time, it is not possible to play the Rock Band 3 disc or Beatles: Rock Band tracks inside of Blitz. When last asked, Harmonix has no plans to make a Rock Band 3 export available.

As an example, watch this Bang Camaro DLC being played in Blitz.

Tracklist:

“Kids in the Street” - The All-American Rejects
“So Far Away” - Avenged Sevenfold
“One Week” - Barenaked Ladies
“Always” - Blink-182
“Shine” - Collective Soul
“I’m Still Standing” - Elton John
“A Little Less Sixteen Candles, A Little More ‘Touch Me’” - Fall Out Boy
“These Days” - Foo Fighters
“Pumped Up Kicks” - Foster the People
“We Are Young” - Fun. ft. Janelle Monáe
“Once Bitten Twice Shy” - Great White
“Jungle Boogie” - Kool & The Gang
“The Wicker Man” - Iron Maiden
“Stronger (What Doesn't Kill You)” - Kelly Clarkson
“Cult of Personality” - Living Colour
“Moves Like Jagger” - Maroon 5
“Sing” - My Chemical Romance
“Raise Your Glass” - P!nk
“Death on Two Legs” - Queen
“Metal Health (Bang Your Head)” - Quiet Riot
“Give It Away” - Red Hot Chili Peppers
“Jessie's Girl” - Rick Springfield
“Diamond Eyes (Boom-Lay Boom-Lay Boom)” - Shinedown
“Spoonman” - Soundgarden
“Shout” - Tears for Fears

Spoonman and Give It Away, two songs that did not export from Rock Band 2, re-appear in Blitz with RB3 features. Spoonman now features harmonies
support and a charted bass solo. Give It Away has had keys added, and is the only song in Blitz that does not support harmonies when played in Rock Band 3.

There are currently no announcements or plans for Blitz to be available for Wii.

Harmonix is releasing all of the songs from Blitz as singles (with a couple of packs for certain artists) onto the music store for all three consoles for people that don't want all of them as a pack, and so that Wii owners can acquire the songs. Some of these songs will also have pro guitar upgrades.

OXmwAmvl.jpg

Of course, it'd be kind of boring if all you did was match notes and nothing else in Blitz, so the top scientists at Harmonix came up with the radical never-before-seen
in any other video game ever concept of powerups. Powerups come in two flavors: Overdrive powerups that are deployed by collecting enough glowing notes and then
going into OD, and Note powerups that are collected by finding purple notes along the way. You can choose your powerup loadout before playing each song.

Overdrive Powerups

Shockwave: Sends out a sonic wave that gives you bonus points for every note it touches down the note highway. The more OD you deploy this with, the bigger the wave. Use on songs with dense amounts of notes.

Point Doubler: A simpler powerup from a simpler time. Doubles points for notes played while deployed. Doubles end of song track bonuses if active when you hit the end of the song.

Jackpot: The powerup for the FC crowd. Triples your points for every note played, but once you miss a note the bonus entirely disappears. Use this on songs with long note chords for maximum points.

Bottle Rocket: Fires off a bottle rocket, going down the track and earning any points for notes that blows it up. You can also use this to collect notes beyond a gate to max out multiplier. Any overdrive notes it hits will also replenish your overdrive, so it's possible to chain Bottle Rockets if you know what you are doing.

Bandmate: Once deployed, it'll play that track for you and you can go off to another track to get points. The bandmate will collect any overdrive and powerup notes it plays.

Note Powerups

Flame Note: Starts a fire that you have to chase down the track for bonus points. No extra bonus points for deploying this while playing Billy Joel tracks.

Runaway Note: Once deployed, you'll have to chase a sparking runaway note around the track. Hit it for a 10k note bonus.

Road Rage: Summons the car from the RB1/2 cinematic to drive down the track, giving you points for each note it hits and increasing track multipliers / activating notes.

Pinball Note: Deploys a pinball down the track that collects points for each note it hits. To keep it in play, you must switch tracks to move yourself into position to knock it back down the highway. You can also bounce it off the theater at the end of the track for bonus points.

Track Powerups

Synchrony: For the rhythm junkie, Synchrony allows you to switch tracks on the downbeat for bonus points. Switching at the measure markers also plays notes on both tracks.

Super Drums - Bonus points for drum notes. Use on drums-heavy songs.

Super Bass - E++

Super Guitar - Bonus points for guitar notes. You'll probably be using this one the most.

Super Vocals - Bonus points for vocals notes. You'll probably be using this one the least.

Super Keys - Bonus points for keys notes. Only works on songs that support Keys, of course.

The gameplay looks stupid and only has 2 notes, I just want the music from the game. Can I do that?

Yep! You can treat Blitz as just a fat music pack for RB3. Or buy the songs as singles from the store.

Achievements

Blitz features 500 points of achievements - 400 base points, and 100 "DLC" points built into the game. The DLC achievements are aimed at rewarding those who have exported or bought a notable number of songs.

Calibrate Good Times - Calibrated your system for the optimal Rock Band Blitz experience.
Self-Taught - Completed both Tutorials.
Three for the Taking - Increased the Level Cap by 3X at 3 Checkpoints in a single song.
Blitz and Giggles - Stayed in Blitz Mode for at least 30 seconds in a single song.
Perfect Finish - Finished a song with all tracks at the Level Cap.
Never Better - Replayed a song and beat your previous high score.
This Means War - Challenged someone to a Score War.
Shredder - Played 100% of the notes in a Guitar Solo.
Good as Gold - Earned Gold stars on a song.
Having a Blast - Cleared 10 notes with a single Blast Note.
Pyromaniac - Played a chain of 10 Flame notes.
Shock and Awesome - Earned at least 10,000 points with a single use of Shockwave.
Pinball Whiz - Kept the Pinball in play for at least 20 seconds.
Rocket Scientist - Cleared 20 notes with a single Bottle Rocket.
Get Back Here - Caught 5 Runaway Notes in a single song.
High Roller - Earned at least 10,000 points with a single use of Jackpot.
All the Rage - Cleared 24 notes with Road Rage in a single song.
That Dozen Count - Played 12 of the songs included with Rock Band Blitz.
Blitzed Out - Played every song included with Rock Band Blitz.
Stellar Performance - Earned 5 stars on every song included with Rock Band Blitz.
Precious Medal - Earned Gold Stars on every song included with Rock Band Blitz.
More Power to You - Unlocked every Power-up in Rock Band Blitz.
Big Spender - Spent 10,000 coins.
Incredible - Got your Blitz Cred up to at least 1,000.
Extra Credit - Got your Blitz Cred up to at least 10,000.

DLC achievements

Greatest Hits - Played at least 50 unique songs
Consummate Collector - Played at least 150 unique songs.
Party at Your Place - Played at least 300 unique songs. Harmonix thanks you!
Loyal Fan - Played at least 10 unique songs by the same artist.
Genre Diehard - Played at least 50 unique songs in the same genre.
Decade Decadence - Played at least 50 unique songs from the same decade.
Music Historian - Played a song from every decade since the '50s

Double Coins Weeks

Each week, Harmonix selects a new artist, band, genre or specific song that will receive a double coin bonus. This usually has something to do with the DLC being released for that week.

An |OT| !

my RB guitar being dead it's with pleasure that i welcome this title

NOt sure this is a good idea to have again achievements/trophies that are tied to dlc songs "Party at Your Place" is a bad idea ...

elektrixx

Banned
I must buy it, simply because it's a good deal on a track pack.

Maybe I'll like it! Or maybe this will inspire me to finally do that coin thing on my drum kit cymbals.

KlotePino

Honestly not sure if I should get this. I like a couple of the tracks but it's all very poppy and probably pretty easy on most instruments. I pretty much exclusively play drums nowadays and I just don't really play any of the simpler songs. Nightmare tier and the tier below have always been the most fun to me and the songs I come back to with a decent amount of impossible songs mixed in.

EDIT: Oh I thought this was 1600 points, it seems like a much better deal now and there's a couple of songs I didn't notice that people might like to sing along to so I think I'll pick this up.

FyreWulff

Honestly not sure if I should get this. I like a couple of the tracks but it's all very poppy and probably pretty easy on most instruments. I pretty much exclusively play drums nowadays and I just don't really play any of the simpler songs. Nightmare tier and the tier below have always been the most fun to me and the songs I come back to with a decent amount of impossible songs mixed in.

EDIT: Oh I thought this was 1600 points, it seems like a much better deal now and there's a couple of songs I didn't notice that people might like to sing along to so I think I'll pick this up.

Stolen from Shiftbreaker at Scorehero:

ShiftBreaker said:
"A Little Less Sixteen Candles, A Little More "Touch Me"" by Fall Out Boy

Band: 1
G: 3
B: 2
D: 3
K: N/A
V: 3 (3)

"Always" by Blink-182

Band: 4
B: 3
D: 4
K: 2 (2)

"Cult of Personality" by Living Colour

Band: 5
G: 6
B: 4

"Death on Two Legs (Dedicated To...)" by Queen

Band: 5
K: 5 (5)
V: 6 (6)

"Diamond Eyes (Boom-Lay Boom-Lay Boom)" by Shinedown

G: 4
K: 3 (3)
V: 4 (4)

"Give It Away" by Red Hot Chili Peppers

Band: 2
V: 1

"I'm Still Standing" by Elton John

D: 2
K: 5 (5)
V: 5 (5)

"Jessie's Girl" by Rick Springfield

B: 1

"Jungle Boogie" by Kool & the Gang

Band: 1
K: 4 (4)

"Kids in the Street" by All-American Rejects

G: 2
D: 5
K: 2 (1)

"Metal Health (Bang Your Head)" by Quiet Riot

Band: 3

"Moves Like Jagger" by Maroon 5 ft. Christina Aguilera

"Once Bitten, Twice Shy" by Great White

K: 4 (3)

"One Week" by Barenaked Ladies

"Pumped Up Kicks" by Foster the People

"Raise Your Glass" by P!nk

D: 1
K: 1 (1)

"Shine" by Collective Soul

V: 2 (2)

"Shout" by Tears for Fears

Band: 3

"Sing" by My Chemical Romance

"So Far Away" by Avenged Sevenfold

K: 2 (3)

"Spoonman" by Soundgarden

Band: 6
G: 5
B: 5

"Stronger (What Doesn't Kill You)" by Kelly Clarkson

K: 4 (5)

"These Days" by Foo Fighters

"We Are Young" by Fun ft. Janelle Monáe

K: 2 (3)

"The Wicker Man" by Iron Maiden

Band: 6
G: 5
K: 1 (1)

6 = Nightmare tier

I take it that none of the songs have pro charts. If so, that really sucks since I would love pro guitar for cult of personality.

PAULINK

I microwave steaks.
Spoonman and Give it up... really? They had to re-license the rb2 songs for this game? (yeah I know they didn't export but still)

Ridley327

Spoonman and Give it up... really? They had to re-license the rb2 songs for this game? (yeah I know they didn't export but still)

Word around town was that Activision penned deals with Soundgarden and RHCP that prevented Harmonix from being able to include those songs in the RB2 export, as well as "locking" their RB1 songs for a bit. That deal, if it existed, would have ended sometime last year since the most recent patch unlocked the RB1 songs for play.

FyreWulff

They said in one of the streams that they couldn't get them re-licensed under the export. People wanted them, it was a clever way to get them back in.

Word around town was that Activision penned deals with Soundgarden and RHCP that prevented Harmonix from being able to include those songs in the RB2 export, as well as "locking" their RB1 songs for a bit. That deal, if it existed, would have ended sometime last year since the most recent patch unlocked the RB1 songs for play.

Yup, that was it. GH signed Soundgarden exclusively and there was supposedly a Guitar Hero: RHCP in the works. Since GH went kaboom both of those expired.

PAULINK

I microwave steaks.

Right, I remember what happened. Oh well, hard to complain paying $15 for a over 20 song tracklist, with a free game included!

Famassu

Still think the decision to only have two notes is the most retarded one Harmonix has ever done. I rarely say this as I find people saying things like it kind of annoying, but I'm not interested in this until it's, like, 5€.

Stoked for this game. Sometimes you just want to get a quick jam in and don't want to bother with all the plastic instruments. This'll be great for that. Plus, it's a hella cheap track-pack!

FyreWulff

Still think the decision to only have two notes is the most retarded one Harmonix has ever done. I rarely say this as I find people saying things like it kind of annoying, but I'm not interested in this until it's, like, 5€.

Yeah, I'd totally want to play beatmatch with the 360's triggers..

Jawmuncher

I am so down for this.
I absolutely LOVE music games with the controller.
Which is why I was kind of bummed that all the GH's (4 and up) and every Rock Band game never supported it.

This'll be a day 1 buy for me once i'm back in the states and can actually grab it.
Also wishful thinking I'd love to see this come to the vita with the DLC being cross compatible. But that's asking for way to much I know.

In my opinion they use 2 notes because of the bonues and the numbers of tracks to follow. It would have been like rock band unplugued otherwise.

Sp3eD

0G M3mbeR
It is really weird they are keeping the track power ups (not overdrive and note power ups mind you) secret. I wonder how much they change the game as for months HMX has dodged showing them.

Daigoro

track list sucks. dlc achievements are complete bullshit (and i probably have enough songs between me and my friends to do most of them). the game itself does not look like anything im really interested in, but i guess ill try the demo to see if it grabs me somehow.

if the track list was even half way decent i would purchase. i still play rock band so it would be worth it for the extra DLC. but i almost dont want to play any of those songs. its a really really bad list.

Hop

That girl in the bunny hat
It is really weird they are keeping the track power ups (not overdrive and note power ups mind you) secret. I wonder how much they change the game as for months HMX has dodged showing them.

I've only seen people running "Super *instrument*" ones, which didn't seem to make a huge impact on scores. No clue why they've been so secretive about them then...

i'm interested in the track list, and in the concept of this as a stand alone game. i haven't touched RB3 in a good while, so this seems like a good $15 to spend to revisit it and enjoy it.

this tracklist really does it for me, and for $15 it's a steal just as a track pack. 25 songs for 15? yes please.

Personally that tracklist is garbage, but I have a lot of Rock Band content that isn't. And I'm a big fan of Amplitude, so I'll be giving the 360 demo a look next week.

FyreWulff

Charron already posted it in the other thread, but Blitz is considered Rock Band's DLC for next week, and they're releasing 3 of Blitz's songs for Wii as normal DLC:

Barenaked Ladies - "One Week"
Queen - "Death on Two Legs"
Foo Fighters - "These Days"

Adding this info to OP

Why are there only two lines of notes per instrument? Did they just completely dumb-down Amplitude or do they add difficulty with some new aspect to the game?

Why are there only two lines of notes per instrument? Did they just completely dumb-down Amplitude or do they add difficulty with some new aspect to the game?
Note charting? They had justified their point at the PAX Panel on them actually testing out 3 button chart and it being almost unplayable.

Wii gets shafted again. The 3-pack just isn't enough. Sure, it has "These Days", which I really wanted, but that's it. I wanted at least 5 other songs.

I'm constantly amazed that people actually bought (and probably still buy DLC for) Rock Band on Wii.

It's not really comparable. RBB isn't about beating songs, because there's no fail condition AFAIK. It's purely about scoring as many points as you can and working out how you can eke out a few points more with different lines or power-ups.

It is NOT a game you play to "win" at, aside from topping leaderboards.

What really matters: are the songs categorized in Rock Band 3 as DLC or as Rock Band Blitz?

DLC.

Rodeo Clown

All aboard! The Love train!
Thanks, guys.

So I'm not in love with the setlist, but I'm still going to buy it. I think I'm part of the problem. But what's $15?

Forsythia

Have 't touched RB in a long time, but this is a day 1 purchase. Not so much for the setlist, but for the shitload of DLC I have on my hard drive.

FyreWulff

Really excited for this game,bought a bunch of DLC this week in preparation.

I'll tell you right now that there's a couple of DLC packs I'm eyeing now because I considered them too annoying hard to play (even though I like the song) and could justify paying for them to be played via Blitz now.

Sp3eD

0G M3mbeR
From what they played on the weekly DLC videos a few weeks back, the harder songs look like they will completely suck in this.

Watching somebody play TTFaF's was a really eye opening experience on why those songs were never in Freq / Amplitude.

I have a hard time believing this game will be half as cool as Amplitude was (in large part because of no electronica and not having varied backgrounds) but I'll give it a shot.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
This game is very hard to 5 star songs on. I'm not sure what I'm missing here. Even with 95%+ accuracy rate

SuperPac

So has anyone been able to get Rock Band World (the social app on FB) working? It brings me to a page where I'm supposed to enter my console ID or XBL name and the button does nothing.

EDIT: nm, it just doesn't like Safari on the Mac. :'(

Top Bottom