• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rock Band Blitz |OT| Rocking Out in the Instrument-Free World

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Edit: Wait, you unlock features in the game via coins? You accumulate coins slowly in a normal game, but you earn them much more quickly when playing around with the RB World Facebook thing? I don't suppose I can spend an extra 160 MSP for 1,000 coins, can I? Or advertise Rock Band World to all of my friends for 2,000? How deep does this go? </cynicism>
No, the coins are used to enable power ups. It kind of changes how you play, since if you replay a song it uses up your coins again. But I don't think the game even tells you that it does this.

Also, is this game coming to iOS? Just curious

jgkspsx

Skeptical about the Facebook app. I don't do Facebook apps.

oh look. its the guy who never responded to like 40 posts aimed at his question in the RB DLC thread.

hi!

It was mostly a rhetorical question anyway.

Death on Two Legs earns warm fuzzies from me for another couple weeks of shit DLC, at least <3

BigDug13

No, the coins are used to enable power ups. It kind of changes how you play, since if you replay a song it uses up your coins again. But I don't think the game even tells you that it does this.

Probably not. This was created as an avenue to continue selling DLC by gaining an audience that doesn't have the plastic instruments. Though at $2 per song, it hardly seems worth it unless you also play the regular game with instruments with the same content.

I've been on Rock Band World for 6 days now and it doesn't notify anyone of my activities at all ... unless they are also on Rock Band World (and even then, it's only through the app).

This worries me. I'd like to get more comments on whether the coins are enough or if the Facebook stuff is needed to get the most out of this game. These two things are exactly the reason for deleting many iOS games, and consumable powerups might be a major letdown for me.

This worries me. I'd like to get more comments on whether the coins are enough or if the Facebook stuff is needed to get the most out of this game. These two things are exactly the reason for deleting many iOS games, and consumable powerups might be a major letdown for me.

It depends how many songs you've got, really. You win a bonus of double coins the first time you play a song, so if you've got hundreds of songs you can probably build up a nice amount that way. If you've got a smaller library though, you'll run out of that bonus very quickly, and will have to play normally. And everyone would run out of new songs eventually.

The amount of coins you win depends on the difficulty of the song and the amount of stars you win. You get 50 coins per star on easy songs, 75 on medium songs, and 100 on difficult songs. This means that the maximum amount of coins you can win on a song normally is 600, for gold starring a difficult song. Using three power-ups will ALWAYS cost 750 coins, which means that without Facebook you're basically always operating at a loss. Playing easier songs or performing worse will suck up those coins even quicker, you could gold-star an easy song and still only get 600 coins back after the double-coins bonus.

This means that the maximum amount of coins you can win on a song normally is 600, for gold starring a difficult song. Using three power-ups will ALWAYS cost 750 coins, which means that without Facebook you're basically always operating at a loss. Playing easier songs or performing worse will suck up those coins even quicker, you could gold-star an easy song and still only get 600 coins back after the double-coins bonus.

Well that's a completely bizarre design decision. I don't really have a problem with unlocking powerups (although I understand why some people would), but making those powerups consumable is just ridiculous. Score attack seems to be the main game mode, but you have to grind coins to have a chance to get the highest score? WTF?

I have plenty of songs and I'd probably have a good time playing through those, but this is a major bummer and makes me think twice about getting this game. One of the Bejeweled games had the exact same system; not on my iPad anymore.

XShagrath

I've been on Rock Band World for 6 days now and it doesn't notify anyone of my activities at all ... unless they are also on Rock Band World (and even then, it's only through the app).
Good.

I hate it when Facebook apps fill up someone's feed with a bunch of updates and notifications that 99% of the people on their friend's list couldn't care less about. Keep it in the app. People who are playing the game will use the app and can see things there.

I have played both amplitude and frequency extensively and can easily 100% amp on insane with no retries.

My question to you guys is how difficult is this game? It cannot be AS hard with only 2 "notes" in each track? Right?

I have played both amplitude and frequency extensively and can easily 100% amp on insane with no retries.

My question to you guys is how difficult is this game? It cannot be AS hard with only 2 "notes" in each track? Right?

That's my thought too, but I think the scoring mechanic is going to change things up a bit to make it more interesting. In the videos it seems to play quite fast when it goes into "Blitz" mode.

Grecco

I like the game alot but the grind for coins/powerups just to be able to do runs for scores is kind of offputting. Its also kind of an excercise in experimentation trying to find out what powerups do (I already think some of them are kinda worthless i could see myself just using a few of them repeatedly)

Its still a nice game though.

It's not a game you "win" and therefore it's not a game which can be classed as "easy" or "difficult." All you do is set scores, and the difficulty is in working out what line to take and when to switch and which power-ups to use and when to use them. The difficulty is in doing better than you did last time.

Gold Starred Science Genius Girl last night. Brought me allllll the way back! I should be able to wrap up 500/500 achievement points today.

nicholasbrutal

Epic Games PR Manager

It would be cool to bring it to other platforms like mobile and handhelds, but we don't have any plans right now.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Gold Starred Science Genius Girl last night. Brought me allllll the way back! I should be able to wrap up 500/500 achievement points today.

You mean 400, heh

I don't have enough songs to get 300 song achievo

Also reviews are hitting around the net right now

nicholasbrutal

Epic Games PR Manager
Good.

I hate it when Facebook apps fill up someone's feed with a bunch of updates and notifications that 99% of the people on their friend's list couldn't care less about. Keep it in the app. People who are playing the game will use the app and can see things there.

Yeah, we made sure the app doesn't spam walls or anything. We hate that kind of stuff. You can, however, notify people of things of your own accord. This is particularly useful when you want to brag on someone's Facebook wall that you're crushing them in a Score War; we'll fill in info like how much you're beating them by, what the song is, how much time is left in the Score War, and you can fill in your own trash talk. The Giant Bomb guys have been having a lot of fun with this, and I'm pretty sure it's going to ruin their relationship.

vg260

Anyone know how this works with a Fightstick? Do the default LB/RB & LT/RT layout on Madcatz being backwards screw that up? (like they do the 360 dash navigation and for pinball games)

You mean 400, heh

I don't have enough songs to get 300 song achievo

Also reviews are hitting around the net right now
You don't have 300 songs to do it? I find that hard to believe.

Anyone know how this works with a Fightstick? Do the default LB/RB & LT/RT layout on Madcatz being backwards screw that up? (like they do the 360 dash navigation and for pinball games)
I'm sure someone can confirm, but i remember the demo at pax being fully customizable (I'm pretty sure I'm going to the default amplitude style of control)

I will try this with a fight stick after lunch!

*edit*

I just thought about it, but high level play isn't possible with a fight stick (only one direction control).

You can push both sticks in the same direction to move over two spaces automatically. I do this all the time to jump the track in half the time.

I really think this is rekindling my Rock Band love in general (well, granted, I haven't played this yet, but just hearing about Rock Band again). I've been playing Rock Band 3 a lot the past few days. I can't wait to try this out.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
You don't have 300 songs to do it? I find that hard to believe.

I have about 180. If I decide to do RB2 export, I'd still be short

Typewriter controls are fight stick friendly, I think. The note buttons are A and B at least. Probably X and Circle on PS3. Left bumper/trigger for powerups

Looks like the powerup buttons might be a little far out..

BTW Wario64, if you are also one of the 50 winners of the official Rock Band twitter contest for RB: Blitz today, I will steal your code ;)

XShagrath

Yeah, we made sure the app doesn't spam walls or anything. We hate that kind of stuff. You can, however, notify people of things of your own accord. This is particularly useful when you want to brag on someone's Facebook wall that you're crushing them in a Score War; we'll fill in info like how much you're beating them by, what the song is, how much time is left in the Score War, and you can fill in your own trash talk. The Giant Bomb guys have been having a lot of fun with this, and I'm pretty sure it's going to ruin their relationship.
Thanks for not doing a lot of wall-spamming.

Are the goals something that's going to be updated fairly frequently? I've got almost all of them done, and they remind me a bit of the Tour Challenges in RB2 (which I really miss from RB3). I really dug the Parenthetically Speaking one, and hope you do more like that in the future.

Are the goals something that's going to be updated fairly frequently? I've got almost all of them done, and they remind me a bit of the Tour Challenges in RB2 (which I really miss from RB3). I really dug the Parenthetically Speaking one, and hope you do more like that in the future.

Parenthetically Speaking is the only goal I haven't finished!

And I've played a lot of songs with parenthesis in the titles ...

nicholasbrutal

Epic Games PR Manager

Yup, we'll be updating the goals weekly. We're updating the Community Goal this week, but those who completed goals in the pre-release period will have to wait another week for fresh goals. Sorry about that, but we wanna give new players a chance to chew on the goals they "missed" in that reviewers period.

And yeah, we will have more "Scavenger Hunt" goals like the "Parenthetically Speaking" one. We have some other cool stuff planned, too, but if I said more I'd be beaten.

XShagrath

Parenthetically Speaking is the only goal I haven't finished!

And I've played a lot of songs with parenthesis in the titles ...
Look at the feed for that goal. It will drop hints if you're close ("Right artist, wrong song", etc.). That's how I narrowed down what the five were.

nicholasbrutal

Epic Games PR Manager
As a big music game fan, I'm really looking forward to this.

I'll be trying out the trial for sure but as for actually purchasing it, unemployment has kept me on a budget. My love for music games is pretty high so I'll try to cut some corners just to pick this up, lol.

They sent out codes to all the winners of the official Rock Band twitter/Facebook contest. Did anyone here receive one? I didn't :(

aegies

I cannot stress enough how necessary Facebook is to getting the full experience with blitz. The coin deficit I mentioned in my review and that people are talking about here is alleviated somewhat by accepting and completing challenges there.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
I cannot stress enough how necessary Facebook is to getting the full experience with blitz. The coin deficit I mentioned in my review and that people are talking about here is alleviated somewhat by accepting and completing challenges there.

It feels like a temporary band aid though, I really don't like the FB integration

padlock

Is there any chance the consumable power ups is something that can be patched out? I find the idea extremely off-putting.

I hate the idea of having to grind before attempting a high score run, then screwing up, and then instead of immediately being able to try again, having to grind some more to earn back the spent coins.

What about only requiring coins when changing which power ups are enabled?

If that's true, I'm out. I have no interest in creating a fake Facebook account just to get the most out of a game. The reviews have pretty much soured me on it already anyway, even the positive reviews. But it's my fault for expecting it to be an evolution of Frequency/Amplitude.

vg260

Yuck. Track pack it is.

Is the music store within the game any quicker than in Rock Band 3? I enjoy trying to find new songs but the process of waiting for everything to load up and then fifteen seconds for a preview to start playing kills a lot of enthusiasm for trying to dig through unknown music for something I'll enjoy.

I own hundreds of songs already, so it's not like I don't deal with the store, but I'd love to see that get an update where things load more speedily.

Edit: And since there's the Harmonix person in the thread I have to add to the majority opinion that having consumable power-ups sounds absolutely terrible. I can understand giving out powers over time and replaying songs with more time and skill but how does that come into play five hours into the game and you're out of coins so you know that playing songs aren't going to give you a chance on the leaderboards. If the point of the game was to just "have fun" and not work on high scores why even have us see a score at all? The real reason people play the games so much is to improve and play better and the score is what we have to show for that.

Top Bottom