• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rock Band DLC ends in April

Javaman

This. Also, no chance of ever playing Rock Band: Pink Floyd. :(

No, GH was canned because Activision flooded the market with so many GH titles, that sales fell off of a cliff.

What killed it for me was upgrading to a HDTV. Despite calibrating tons of times I could never get it to feel right. Plus there was so much audio lag that I couldn't freestyle drum fills anymore without it sounding like complete shit. I'm tempted to pick up an analog audio bar just for the game, but there's no telling if the lag will still be there until after I buy it.

What killed it for me was upgrading to a HDTV. Despite calibrating tons of times I could never get it to feel right. Plus there was so much audio lag that I couldn't freestyle drum fills anymore without it sounding like complete shit. I'm tempted to pick up an analog audio bar just for the game, but there's no telling if the lag will still be there until after I buy it.

Calibrating isn't so hard when you know how to start adding/subtracting from the audio-delay.

Just get the video-lag by testing, and then remove or add ms on the audio-delay depending on if the notes are struck in front or behind the strike-line.

McBradders

NeoGAF: my new HOME
At least we got Party Hard, the journey was totally worth it.

If they could end on Appetite for Destruction as a full album download for the end... yeah, that would be pretty motherfucking rad. Please hmx!

Dinosur

The RB2 guitar always calibrated the game perfectly for me on DLP/Plasma with receiver and hdmis. Only thing it was good for :)

PAULINK

I microwave steaks.
Man, they better start pumping out some awesome tracks for these remaining weeks then, are we finally out of Blitz dlc?

My library of 1,100 songs and tons of plastic instruments I've bought over the years is solid proof of why I love this series so much, introduced me to lots of new music, and was a great time with friends.

Looking forward to every tuesday dlc will never be the same.

Thanks for making DLC count and mean something this generation, Harmonix.

Can't wait to see what they bring for next generation.

Ridley327

Man, they better start pumping out some awesome tracks for these remaining weeks then, are we finally out of Blitz dlc?

My library of 1,100 songs and tons of plastic instruments I've bought over the years is solid proof of why I love this series so much, introduced me to lots of new music, and was a great time with friends.

Looking forward to every tuesday dlc will never be the same.

If I'm not doing my math incorrectly, they have 8 more Blitz tracks to release. I wouldn't be surprised if they end up doing two 4-track weeks, rather than spreading them out further.

tearsofash

I remember getting the full rock band setup way back in the day, replacing the foot pedal, and redownloading thousands of songs each time my Ps3 HDD broke. I'll never forget it being so worth it for all the parties I had or lame nights where I'd rather be listening to music instead of blowing zombie brains.

For the first year or so I tried to keep up with the DLC. I'm kind of glad they are stepping away from weekly updates so I can catch up.

D

Deleted member 57681

Unconfirmed Member
Whoa, profound sadness, end of an era and so on. RB2 and 3 are my definitive multiplayer games of the gen, maybe even overall. My 360 is a Rock Band only-machine, and I pumped lots of money into the DLC, for it was done fucking right.
Thanks for the experience, Harmonix!

Looking forward to some sales :)

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I never really got into RB3 unfortunately, mostly because the pain of losing all my old scores yet again was a bit too much for me, but it was a fun time regardless.

I'm going to keep a 360 forever if only because of the hundreds of dollars invested into Rock Band though. Truly end of an era.

I bought so many songs and played Rock Band consistently for years.

Thank you Harmonix, hope you return to Rock Band eventually.

Anyone know if Porcupine Tree ever made it in the game?

Really sad to hear about this :/ I always looked forward to new rock band DLC. I hope they release a new Rock Band game for next gen though.

D

Deleted member 57681

Unconfirmed Member
I'm like 99% sure there'll be a plastic instrument renaissance next gen. I just hope I can hook up the old hardware (or at least my e-drum set, but that's a given I think).

Dinosur

If I'm not doing my math incorrectly, they have 8 more Blitz tracks to release. I wouldn't be surprised if they end up doing two 4-track weeks, rather than spreading them out further.

hmxhenry said in their thread that there are less than 12 new songs left. So the Blitz song weeks could go 3 - 3 - 2 (+1 new one maybe)

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Oh another thing... what are the chances of The Beatles export code finally being used for something before it all goes dark? Less than 0%? :(

PAULINK

I microwave steaks.
hmxhenry said in their thread that there are less than 12 new songs left. So the Blitz song weeks could go 3 - 3 - 2 (+1 new one maybe)

12 songs left? Jeez, they're going out with a whimper :(. Let's just hope these are some big name bands.

FyreWulff

Sounds like we're going out with either 2 song weeks or Blitz and some one-song weeks.

We already know the last week is a single song.

Dinosur

12 songs left? Jeez, they're going out with a whimper :(. Let's just hope these are some big name bands.

With how long it takes to license/chart songs (3-6 months), they had to have known this was coming for a long time. Other than artist selection (which, come on, isn't going to be good at this point), you can't really blame them for going out on a perceived "whimper." They either release a megapack and they're done March 1 or they continue along the same 3-4 schedule and they make it until April.

Ridley327

So, at the most optimistic of predictions, we've got 19 songs left before the lights go out. Ouch.

Well, I suppose there's a small sliver of a hope that there's more than that if you stretch the definition of a "new song" a bit so that it wouldn't include some old ones finally seeing release (like, say, a certain pair of Metallica songs), but I doubt they went out of their way.

FyreWulff

Uh, they've apparently hit the tweetin' limit for Twitter today because they were trying to respond to so many people, so their live stream will be starting in a while, where they'll be talking about the announcement:

http://www.twitch.tv/harmonixmusic

edit: about a while from this post, 6pm EST

PAULINK

I microwave steaks.
Uh, they've apparently hit the tweetin' limit for Twitter today because they were trying to respond to so many people, so their live stream will be starting in a while, where they'll be talking about the announcement:

http://www.twitch.tv/harmonixmusic

edit: about a while from this post, 6pm EST

There's a twitter limit? lol. Anyways thanks for this, would love for them to tie up some loose ends and hear them talk about it more.

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
I was there since the very beginning with Rock Band and this news really bummed me out. I always looked forward to the new announcements every week and it really makes me sad I won't be wondering what's going to get announced every Friday from now on. Sure there's been weeks where I think the songs are complete shit, but it's exciting to see what new stuff I could potentially buy or if that song I like gets announced. Truly end of an era man. Thanks for your work, Harmonix. It was due to your game that congregated the greatest online community of regulars I've had the pleasure of meeting online and caused the biggest/greatest thread ever to grace GAF to be created. Thanks for everything.

To begin with? Everything.

The act of charting a custom song is not particularly difficult. The act of charting it properly, with all instruments/difficulties, proper pathing, venue tracks, lip sync tracks, animations, and the like is pretty difficult (as someone who was and is still, to some extent, "involved" in that subset of the community, I can tell you there are only a handful of authors left there that put out good, complete work). Licencing and negotiation and mixing and all of that goes above and beyond, but even the art of putting midi notes on the tracks is something "amateurs" continue to struggle with. The RBN provided a better infrastructure with feedback and checks and balances to try and ensure quality was coming out, and has some really talented authoring groups, but a few stinkers certainly still got through.

I'm talking relatively. Making a DLC song for RB is a lot easier than 99% of things you'd do in video game development. Of course there's a skill to it.

NameGenerated

Who paid you to grab Dr. Pavel?
I was there since the very beginning with Rock Band and this news really bummed me out. I always looked forward to the new announcements every week and it really makes me sad I won't be wondering what's going to get announced every Friday from now on. Sure there's been weeks where I think the songs are complete shit, but it's exciting to see what new stuff I could potentially buy or if that song I like gets announced. Truly end of an era man. Thanks for your work, Harmonix. It was due to your game that congregated the greatest online community of regulars I've had the pleasure of meeting online and caused the biggest/greatest thread ever to grace GAF to be created. Thanks for everything.

crying-cat.gif

Grecco

:bowl http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r2-PJRYHx60

Jarate

Banned
The death of an era for me ;-;

I will never forget the countless hours I spent with Gh1, 2 , RB 1, 2 and 3

as an old member of rock band gaf (although never really well known, I mostly lurk on mesage boards anyways) I can tell that few games helped spurr friendships and create a positive party atmosphere. Everyone could have fun with it, whether you were new to the genre, or a hardcore player.

At Pax East I will once again go onstage and sing a Lady Gaga song. That might be the last time I can ever do that again :)

G/L Harmonix, Although I hope a niche arises around these games and we can finally get some good Guitar Centric games out for maybe the PC

PAULINK

I microwave steaks.
The stream has started.

2 more weeks of blitz re releases
4 more weeks of new singles

last week will be one song, "fitting" for the end I guess.

Arozay

Hopefully there's a revival next-gen with a focus on DLC instead of standalone releases, I was LTTP so I'm having trouble tracking down the peripherals at a decent price (Australia lol).

I'm just crossing my fingers for some Tool and Muse (get the Guitar Hero stuff on RB) or some more Iron Maiden or Children of Bodom.

Top Bottom