• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rock Band Rivals |OT| We're Still Putting The Rock Band Back Together

There's some things I actually like more about the re-record. My favourite being the more echoey backup vocals, gives the song a more mystical sound, especially during the outro and between verses, and the solo sounds better to me as well.

pacman85

I have purposely held off on buying any of the Spotlight Pass songs so I can see the full offering at the end. So far, there is only one song I don't like in there. If the last 2 are good, then they have a buyer.

vg260

I’d rather have non stems original then stems re record tbh

I'm torn. I hate songs without stems, but this may be one of the cases where it was the only way to get it, unlike a number where there were known stems and it seemed like a money issue.

I wanted this song for ages, so I'll still pick it up.

One of my children popped a fret off my RB PS4 guitar, and now we can’t find it. Is there any place that sells replacement frets?

Specifically my orange large fret is gone. I can play just only with the tiny frets...

Megatron

I have purposely held off on buying any of the Spotlight Pass songs so I can see the full offering at the end. So far, there is only one song I don't like in there. If the last 2 are good, then they have a buyer.

Yeah, I gave up and just bought ice ice baby and called it a day. I didnt think it was a good enough deal and already didnt want avenged seven fold. It should have been no more than $12 so you got two free songs, or let you pick your own 8 from everything released.

MrNelson

Banned

FyreWulff

"Burnin' For You" is confirmed to have no stems, just a heads up.

To follow up on this, since Burnin' is already on the Xbox store if you have the pass, so I downloaded it already:

They did start with a really good master, everything sounds nice and clean and clear. The drums sound separated - that's how clean a master it is, so it isn't a compressed hellhole like that one stemless Megadeth song.

Reducing vocals volume knocks out a few of the guitar notes, but otherwise is fairly well done.

Missing on guitar doesn't destroy the song.

Bass (as usual) is the one that's most noticeable when missed, as the entire bass frequency disappears from the song. Sadly, you can barely hear the bass part you are playing, even though it's a pretty good line. The "drum kick whammy" side effect of DIY is barely noticeable in this song even though there's a lot of whammy opportunities, and I can only really hear it around the guitar solo. It isn't like Don't You Forget About Me which was a drum whammy mess.

Overall, one of their best DIY jobs yet, and a well mastered version of the song - it sounds better than my CD copy. If you like this song, buy it. I guess it was either this or the 90s re-record.

Here's this week's first playthrough scores, stem confirmations and impressions for this week's DLC:

”Burnin' for You" - Blue Öyster Cult - [Guitar: Tier 4 | Bass: Tier 3 | Drums: Tier 4 | Vocals: Tier 3]
Expert Guitar: 166,430 | 100% Notes Hit (692/692) Full Combo | Gold Stars
Expert Bass: 151,806 | 100% Notes Hit (691/691) Full Combo | Gold Stars

”There's Nothing Holdin' Me Back" - Shawn Mendes
- [Guitar: Tier 2 | Bass: Tier 0 | Drums: Tier 4 | Vocals: Tier 4]
Expert Guitar: 84,962 | 100% Notes Hit (464/464) Full Combo | Gold Stars
Expert Bass: 10,650 | 100% Notes Hit (069/069) Full Combo | Gold Stars

Stem Confirmations: As mentioned before, ”Burnin' For You" doesn't have stems, it's a DIY job, but not an awful one by any stretch of the imagination. All the tracks are pretty clear and the track muffling/degradation when missing notes on your own instrument isn't as bad as the usual fare, the drums and bass take a hit in quality but the other instruments are pretty solid and hold up pretty well overall. ”There's Nothing Holdin' Me Back" is 100% legit much like the other Mendes tracks in the game, full original masters and proper mixing here. So yeah, a competent DIY job and a legit track, not a bad week by any stretch!

DLC Impressions: ”Burnin' For You" is godlike on guitar. It's a great chart all the way through. Verses and choruses have a great mix of laid back chord strumming and 3-4 note hammer-on strings and the solo has all sorts of crazy fast fretwork that'll have your hand zipping back and forth all over the neck of the guitar. Even the outro has some pretty hectic licks between the usual chorus riff. Overall, one of the best guitar tracks of the year. Bass is great as well, lots of steady strumming and movement back and forth from green to orange. Overall, this week's BOC pick is a winner. Buy it! ”There's No Holdin' Me Back" on guitar is....eh...it's alright. Although it has some really bizarre charting at the start with speedy bursts of single strumming with awkward orange hammer-ons inbetween a series of notes that are crammed so close together it looks like there's chords charted when there isn't. That's how tightly packed the intro is. After that it's spaced out chords and some neat little hammer-on flourishes. Bass on the other hands is the worst fucking bass chart we've had since ”Dog Days Are Over" and ”Royals" in my opinion. A few held single note sustains and strummed notes followed by a huge expanse of fucking nothing for at least 20+ measures each time. Rinse and repeat three times and it's over. Fucking awful.

FyreWulff

Attention B Sides crew!

We appear to have a legit chance of promoting to Bloodstone this week! We've got a solid spotlight so far, even though we need to improve it, but we definitely need lots of EXP. If we promote this week, we pretty much have an entire month off (2 more weeks in the season + the 2 week break). We need everyone that's in the crew to throw on some plays - 20 minimum would be nice!

Note that you get 1.25x XP for being in multiplayer. But you don't need to play online - you can just sign in another instrument as a guest and you'll get the bonus XP (make sure No Fail is on). If you're on strings or drums this means just sign in your controller as a vocalist while playing. If you're a vocalist then you'll have to live with part of the song missing, I guess. If you don't have an actual Rock Band compatible mic, any headset plugged into the controller will count as a mic for the game.

MORE EXP FOR THE EXP GODS

FyreWulff

EDjuHtY.png

FyreWulff

We're still holding in promotion, but we still have to mid-day Tuesday to survive, and our spotlight is sinking (the spotlighter side of B-Sides is working on that) but our XP is holding us up. Any plays help at this point. We're still lookin' viable.

Megatron

That's not how music licensing works.

Why not? The songs are still getting purchased, just at a discount. Instead of $1.99 per song they would be getting $1.50 per song, but selling more than they normally do. How much of hat do you think the artist is even getting?

And for the record by let us choose, I meant let us choose from the new releases, so we can have any 8 of the 16 songs released during season 2 or whatever.

FyreWulff

Why not? The songs are still getting purchased, just at a discount. Instead of $1.99 per song they would be getting $1.50 per song, but selling more than they normally do. How much of hat do you think the artist is even getting?

And for the record by let us choose, I meant let us choose from the new releases, so we can have any 8 of the 16 songs released during season 2 or whatever.

They literally have to get legal clearance to include songs in a pack together - they just can't arbitrarily throw songs in one. The spotlight pass is really just a pack, functionally and legally, and there's artists that won't want to be in a pack together. It's why you see less packs these days, because there's more overhead to even have a pack in the first place.

They even have to clear marketing - they talked one time about how they did a Star Wars opening crawl parody to list the songs in a sale, and they got a call up from one of the labels complaing that a band and song's text were bigger than theirs, because it was at the bottom of the crawl and theirs was closer to the top...

music licensing is hard(tm)

FyreWulff

B Sides! We have crews trying to last minute rush us for XP, and there's a mere 10 hours left in the challenge, so we need XP fast! Play as many songs as you can!

quote for strats

Gleethor

Oh fuck yes. RockBandAide wouldn’t make shit up like that so it’s basically confirmed. I literally just requested Them Bones too.

Also the season pass was definitely worth it for me. I think God Damn is the only song I wouldn’t have bought on its own.

Im sure this has been asked...

I bought all my exports, RB1, Lego, RB2 on 360. Does that allow me to DL on Xbox One? I still have my RB3 disk as well, from what I read, that is just a $15 fee?

FyreWulff

Im sure this has been asked...

I bought all my exports, RB1, Lego, RB2 on 360. Does that allow me to DL on Xbox One? I still have my RB3 disk as well, from what I read, that is just a $15 fee?

As long as it's the same gamertag that bought the exports then you'll find them in your Ready To Install as soon as you install Rock Band 4.

Top Bottom