• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ROCK BAND Strat reliability thread - report in here

I'm still unboxing so don't have anything to report yet but all these reports of defective guitars (broken downstrum, problem with close notes etc) has me a little worried, especially in light of all the Best Buy demo unit problems.

So, report in here. How's your Strat? Fine? Sketchy? Broken?

No6

I opened the box and what do I find? The strat head has come off of the strat body and is lying in the bag with the strap! What the hell, Harmonix? I'm about to call up the EA game hint line and raise hell.

BobFromPikeCreek said:
One of the very small advantages of waiting a month in Canada. This shit will probably be sorted out by then.

HMX did allude to a patch solving this. Did that work/happen for the GHII guitars? I remember a similar phenomenae.

ascii42

No6 said:
I'm also not too keen on the cheapo drumsticks. I mean, wood?
Um, what's wrong with wood for drumsticks?

And yeah, my Strat broke after probably around 8 hours.
I have the PS3 version, not that it probably matters.

Even if there are start problems (mine is fine but I only had a chance to play like 4 songs on my lunch break), the first thing you see when you open the box is a notice regarding the hardware warranty. If your strat is defective it is bound to show it sooner rather than later, and you'll just get it replaced by EA/MTV/HMX.

thanks

I dented the shit outta the drums within 4 or 5 hours and I'm not even slamming them with the drumsticks. Drums are shitty and cheaply made, they shouldn't have stopped stealing from Konami just at the idea and gameplay, and should have copied some actual well-made drums that actually stand up to countless hours of abuse and continue to function perfectly well. /rant

No6, did they also forget to include the bass drum? The pedal's there, but if the drum itself isn't then there's another problem for you.

thanks said:
I dented the shit outta the drums within 4 or 5 hours and I'm not even slamming them with the drumsticks. Drums are shitty and cheaply made, they shouldn't have stopped stealing from Konami just at the idea and gameplay, and should have copied some actual well-made drums that actually stand up to countless hours of abuse and continue to function perfectly well. /rant

I owned DrumMania (PS2) and those drums were crap. The pads might have been durable, but the actual drum controller itself had to cost like 1/3 of what the RB drums cost to make. The fucking kick pedal was some leaf switch in a plastic bag! :lol

sykoex

Lost all credibility.
Before I opened the box I heard something rattling around. Turns out the strum bar had completely fallen off. :(

thanks

beermonkey@tehbias said:
I owned DrumMania (PS2) and those drums were crap. The pads might have been durable, but the actual drum controller itself had to cost like 1/3 of what the RB drums cost to make.
I was talking about the arcade version, they were just thicker hard rubber. They felt amazing to hit, and you could slam on them Animal style if you wished and they wouldn't even give a shit. Did you have the official DrumMania controller?

bryehn

Wow, this shit isn't very encouraging at all...hopefully the next run of hardware fares a bit better.

Also, hopefully 20 or so days are removed from the calendar and December 17 comes sooner so I can see for myself.

This thread sure is going places. I wonder how long it'll last.

Oh, also, I noticed that the strings on my Start are missing. What a piece of junk.

On a serious note, did anybody else notice the manufacturing date marked on the bottom of the box (mine was Oct-10)? That ought to be helpful when they recall all the gear made before a given date.

No6

ascii42 said:
Um, what's wrong with wood for drumsticks?
Professional drummers don't use wood drumsticks.
No6, did they also forget to include the bass drum? The pedal's there, but if the drum itself isn't then there's another problem for you.
I don't know what shopping mall knockoff you bought, but Rock Band Special Edition comes with a microphone pedal to help you hit the high notes. And yes, I have the mic pedal.

bumpkin

Not saying there aren't ever valid complaints with hardware these days; you know, bad runs and such. But why the fuck can't something ever come out without someone starting a black cloud thread, making me nervous that I'm going to get a lemon? :lol

Crossing my fingers that my bundle is a-okay when I pick it up in the next hour.

thanks

StrikerObi said:
This thread sure is going places. I wonder how long it'll last.
With you joining, who knows?
Oh, also, I noticed that the strings on my Start are missing. What a piece of junk.
There are actual build quality issues with the strat, everyone was only making fun of Neo6 because of his either clever troll, or complete lack of instrumental knowledge. Your joke isn't funny, nor does it contribute.

thanks said:
With you joining, who knows?

There are actual build quality issues with the strat, everyone was only making fun of Neo6 because of his either clever troll, or complete lack of instrumental knowledge. Your joke isn't funny, nor does it contribute.

Whatever, I was just messing around. I did make an actual contribution to the thread in the same post, regarding the manufacturing date stickers.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Re the Strat issues, the "the demos were just borked, everything is A-OK, do not panic!" line from Harmonix always seemed like a bit of a stretch. I hope I don't have to send mine in; I hate sending shit in. I even kept my scratched-to-hell-but-playable Halo 3 discs.

No6 said:
I don't know what shopping mall knockoff you bought, but Rock Band Special Edition comes with a microphone pedal to help you hit the high notes.
Ah, that would explain why it keeps kicking me in the balls at the higher bits...

thanks said:
I was talking about the arcade version, they were just thicker hard rubber. They felt amazing to hit, and you could slam on them Animal style if you wished and they wouldn't even give a shit. Did you have the official DrumMania controller?

Yeah, I had the original red-and-black, bundled-with-the-game, DrumMania controller. The pads were tiny, the height wasn't adjustable, and the bass pedal was literally a little plastic baggie on the floor that you stepped on.

Expecting RB to come with something like an arcade DrumMania controller would be like expecting those DDR bundles to come with metal dance pads.

thanks

AstroLad said:
Re the Strat issues, the "the demos were just borked, everything is A-OK, do not panic!" line from Harmonix always seemed like a bit of a stretch. I hope I don't have to send mine in; I hate sending shit in. I even kept my scratched-to-hell-but-playable Halo 3 discs.
Tell me about it. I still have a borked copy of SNK vs. CAPCOM Cardfighters Clash for the ds. I'm worried about the quality of the drums though in the long run. I don't think the sensors can take the abuse with such a thin plastic pad protecting it.

thanks

beermonkey@tehbias said:
Yeah, I had the original red-and-black, bundled-with-the-game, DrumMania controller. The pads were tiny, the height wasn't adjustable, and the bass pedal was literally a little plastic baggie on the floor that you stepped on.
Hahaha, that's awesome. A baggie? Loved DrumMania and GuitarFreaks way better than this stuff though.

thanks said:
Tell me about it. I still have a borked copy of SNK vs. CAPCOM Cardfighters Clash for the ds. I'm worried about the quality of the drums though in the long run. I don't think the sensors can take the abuse with such a thin plastic pad protecting it.

I like the idea of cutting out some mute mats/pads and applying them with removeable double-sided tape. Distributes the force, cuts down on noise, and gives you better bounce for rolls.

Speaking of bounce, do any drummers have suggestions for what kinds of sticks might bounce better off fake drums like these?

thanks said:
Hahaha, that's awesome. A baggie? Loved DrumMania and GuitarFreaks way better than this stuff though.

It was weird, it was literally a non-solid controller, It was a flexible piece of plastic with some kind of leaf switch inside to detect your foot stomp. It would move all over the place.

No6

AstroLad said:
It's possible that there's a point at which the manufacturing facility started producing "good" guitars, and that the demo stations and some boxed copies don't have those. Mine says Oct 17 manufactured...

ZootedGranny said:
I played guitar on Hard for about 5 hours straight last night, and I'm one of those simpletons that strums down. No problems yet.

I still only strum down. If the issue is double strumming than it won't be quite as noticeable for me. Not until Iron Maiden anyway.

Ferrio

Banned
No6 said:
It's possible that there's a point at which the manufacturing facility started producing "good" guitars, and that the demo stations and some boxed copies don't have those. Mine says Oct 17 manufactured...

Oct 13th, WOOOO.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
It took 12 straight hours on expert for my downstrum to crap out, so you're not due for a while.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
TheGreatDave said:
I still only strum down. If the issue is double strumming than it won't be quite as noticeable for me. Not until Iron Maiden anyway.

Yeah, the Iron Maiden song is like Misirlou... really easy to beat but fucking hard to get combos on.

Dina said:
The drumsticks clearly should have been made of metal.

Or even better, crystal.

Yeah, I mean if I'm paying $170 for a great deal of a game, my drumsticks better be damned well made of crystal and not wood like real drumsticks.

TAJ

Cathcart said:
I'm also not too keen on the song charts. I mean, notes?

Too realistic?

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
I had 2 of my PS2 GH1 guitars go out on me (both would "double strum" on one strum). And this was after about 4 hours of light play on them.

A lot of my friends are complaining that the strum bar seems too "loose", and that the fret buttons are wiggly and feel cheap on their new RB strats. This isn't encouraging. I haven't opened my copy yet, but I'm hoping that I won't notice any of these problems.

I'd gladly pay extra for a solid, well manufactured guitar.

I only have some older pre-release guitars here, but after one completely died for strumming, and the other became flaky on downstrums, I cracked them open to see if I could perform surgery. I'm not sure if the final guitars use the same mechanism as these or not.

The strum bar actually has two sensors to detect up and downstrums seperately (that's how they have the upstrumming-only achievement for bass). However, on my guitars, I'm definitely not a fan of the mechanism they used. The strum bar, in each direction, pushes a piece of plastic attached to a metal bar in, connecting it to another, central metal plate, completing a circuit. On my totally broken guitar, both plastic pieces had snapped off (and trying to jury-rig a glue-based fix was an epic failure), and on the flaky one, I can't seem to see what the problem is (it seems to be connecting fine, but registers anywhere from 0-3 'hits' with each downstrum).

Anyone else crack theirs open to confirm how the mechanism works?

The strum bar's dying. As I mentioned in the other topic, it's very sketchy on close notes. I know it's not just me either, as I was able to nail the same songs when I played them at Best Buy before it was released.

Top Bottom