• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rocket League Championship Series Season 2 announced

Official

It’s been a few weeks since the inaugural season of the Rocket League Championship Series came to a close in spectacular fashion. Over one million viewers tuned in to watch iBP Cosmic become the first-ever RLCS World Champions. It was an incredible moment for Rocket League, the players, and our community who has worked tirelessly to make Rocket League the future of esports.

After that special moment, we got right back to work on making Season 2 even better. The first order of business: gathering feedback from the community, players and organizations around the globe.

BIGGER PRIZES
First on the list of feedback was the prize pool and how we rewarded our professional players. Our inaugural season was a huge success with a prize pool of $75,000 and Season 2 is coming back even BIGGER! This time the teams from North America and Europe will be competing for a total prize pool of over $250,000!

NEW FORMAT
The main piece of feedback we received was that the format was overly complicated. For Season 2 we are streamlining the process; We’re getting rid of the two-split system and the weighted points, and moving to something a little more standard. Here’s how it works:

OPEN QUALIFIER >> LEAGUE PLAY >> REGIONAL PLAYOFFS >> GRAND FINALS
Much like Season 1, teams will compete in the Open Qualifier until only the top-eight teams per region remain.
RLCS-Season-2-Promo.jpg

The top-eight teams qualify for a spot in League Play, a four-week group stage using the Round-Robin format.
Matches during League Play will be a best-of-five series
Team standings are decided by series wins during League Play.
The top-six teams after League Play qualify for the Regional Playoffs, a two-week bracket to determine the final four teams per region. Both regions will be represented in the Grand Finals.
The top two teams after League Play get an automatic bye into the top four and clinch a spot in the Grand Finals.
The remaining teams will be placed in a double-elimination bracket to find the remaining two teams to clinch a Grand Finals spot.
And there you have it — the first look at the new and improved Season 2! We’ll have even more information coming as we move closer to Kick-Off Weekend. For teams interested in making a run for the championship, mark your calendars…

Registration opens on August 24th!

Rules
Schedule:
North American Region
Open Qualifier ­ Week 1 (September 10)
Open Qualifier ­ Week 2 (September 17)
League Play ­ Week 1 (September 24)
League Play ­ Week 2 (October 1)
League Play ­ Week 3 (October 15)
League Play ­ Week 4 (October 22)
North America Regional Playoffs ­ Week 1 (November 5)
North America Regional Playoffs ­ Week 2 (November 12)
Grand Finals (TBA)

European Region
Open Qualifier ­ Week 1 (September 11)
Open Qualifier ­ Week 2 (September 18)
League Play ­ Week 1 (September 25)
League Play ­ Week 2 (October 2)
League Play ­ Week 3 (October 16)
League Play ­ Week 4 (October 23)

Europe Regional Playoffs ­ Week 1 (November 6)

Europe Regional Playoffs ­ Week 2 (November 13)

Grand Finals (TBA)Prize Pool Breakdown:
Actual prize pool is $231,000:
The Tournament will award Two Hundred Thirty One Thousand US Dollars ($231,000 USD) at the Tournament in total
All teams making it out of Open Qualifiers awarded $500 per match in League Play, totalling to $3,500 per team:
After League Play, League Teams will each be awarded Five Hundred US Dollars ($500) per match played as a prize for qualifying at that level, for a total prize per League Team of Three Thousand Five Hundred US Dollars ($3,500)

Regional Playoffs (NA/EU)
1st 2nd 3rd 4th 5th 6th
$10,000 $6,500 $4,000 $2,000 $1,500 $1,000

World Championship
1st 2nd 3rd 4th 5th - 6th 7th- 8th
$50,000 $25,000 $15,000 $10,000 $7,500 $5,000
Other Notes:
Open Qualifiers will be best-of-five matches
League Play is four weeks of a single round-robin, so seven games per day. Hopefully this means every match will be streamed.

I3rand0

My team got DQ'ed last season because we had a mix of NA and Euro players. Disappointing to see this isn't fixed.

telasoman

I just hope it doesnt get as complicated and drama filled like LoL LCS did.

The LCS was the worst thing to happen to LoL imo.

Kinda wish I had a team to compete. I wasn't expecting it to come around again straight after the last one finished. Oh well, hopefully by next season I'll have stumbled my way into a team invite, I'm getting better but I don't think I stand out enough to be getting team invites yet. Gotta keep practicing!

So basically more prizes for "IBuyPower". Got it.

When I see how good the top tier teams are, I think to myself "why even bother"

ErichWK

So basically more prizes for "IBuyPower". Got it.

When I see how good the top tier teams are, I think to myself "why even bother"

Believe in the me that believes in you, holmie. After following Smash Bros, competitively.. major upsets happen all the time..and out of nowhere players rise up a lot to be kings. YOU CAN DO IT!

Top Bottom