• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rocketbirds 2: Evolution Soars onto PS4, PS Vita on April 26

Loudninja

Trailer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=15&v=HbFEECmcW40

Hello again! We’re excited to share the news that Rocketbirds 2: Evolution is coming exclusively to PS4 and PS Vita on April 26. With the launch date approaching, we at Ratloop wanted to share more details about the game’s new features.
Even though Rocketbirds 2: Evolution has a full six-chapter Story Mode campaign, I’d like to talk a bit more about the game’s new Rescue Mode. Rescue Mode is essentially a meta-collection game. To give players a taste of what they can expect from this new mode, we put together a short video named A Chicken’s Guide to Killing Penguins, starring James McCreadie as Metal Chicken.
In Rescue Mode, up to four friends (online or offline) can go on missions to find hidden items and artifacts while rescuing hostages deep behind enemy lines. Each time you free a hostage, they’ll join your team as a new, fully-customizable playable character. Rescue Mode features four procedurally-generated locations to loot and explore as well as four different weapon stores to buy new weapons and ammunition from.
We created more than forty unlockable weapons — including rifles, shotguns, pistols, launchers, and melee weapons — to use in the fight against the penguin regime! We picked fun, iconic weapons and leveraged the unique traits of those weapons to make each work differently and cater to varying play styles.
Rocketbirds 2: Evolution will feature Cross Buy and Cross Save. Players can buy the game for one price and own it on both PS4 and PS Vita, with the ability to play and save on both systems for finger-licking fun!
Look for Rocketbirds 2: Evolution on April 26 to get in on the fowl action!
http://blog.us.playstation.com/2016...evolution-soars-onto-ps4-ps-vita-on-april-26/

Shinriji

The first Rocketbirds was one of the best indie games that vita has. The second one should be awesome as well.

I've just found out from browsing the PS Store that this is coming out next week! :)

Unfortunately it's the same day as Alienation! :(

Honestly, I will probably pass on this for a while even though I really liked the first Rocketbirds game. Don't really have time for two new releases on the same day.

Gren

Looks good. The artstyle is still retained in the new graphics; they just kind of look like claymation models now.

One thing that does look better is the animation; it looks more dynamic (i.e. they now do somersaults rather than just regular jumps).

5taquitos

Adding to the wishlist so I don't forget about it, I dug the first one but have zero gaming time free for this right now.

CamHostage

Kept meaning to pick up the first one, I'll probably check them both out. I love Abuse-style aiming in run-and-gun so this is right up my alley.

I don't understand, though, their idea of how parallax motion should work against the camera? Watching the trailer felt really swimmy and disorienting because of how aggressively they use background motion against even the smallest motion on the stage area. Was the first game like this?

Gren

Kept meaning to pick up the first one, I'll probably check them both out. I love Abuse-style aiming in run-and-gun so this is right up my alley.

I don't understand, though, their idea of how parallax motion should work against the camera? Watching the trailer felt really swimmy and disorienting because of how aggressively they use background motion against even the smallest motion on the stage area. Was the first game like this?

I guess I never really noticed it before, but yeah, the original did that too. Can't recall if it's at any point as aggressive as what we see in this trailer, though.

EDIT: Watching the first one again reminds me of the unusual controls it had. Can't recall exactly, but I think crouch state was a toggle. So after crouching to avoid gunfire/shoot other crouchers, any movement would automatically having you rolling about. It might've been faster than running for all I know, but it was disorienting in a 2D siderscroller, especially so during the survival wave shootout sessions it occassionally had. But FWIW, I understand it worked out much more naturally on the mouse & k/b setup it was supposedly designed for.

Truth be told, that was probably my biggest disappointment with the first; that the bulk of the game revovled around the clunky platforming/shooting sessions, and the parts that worked best with a controller (the jetpack dogfights) were more of a bonus stage.

EDIT 2: Looking at the game you cited, the original lacked omni-directional fire outside of the jetpack sessions. You could only shoot high or low. It was much more slanted towards a puzzle-platformer than the run & gun its sequel appears to be. Just FYI.

CamHostage

EDIT 2: Looking at the game you cited, the original lacked omni-directional fire outside of the jetpack sessions. You could only shoot high or low. It was much more slanted towards a puzzle-platformer than the run & gun its sequel appears to be. Just FYI.

Ah, good to know!

Top Bottom