• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RockPaperShotgun lists the best games of 2016 so far

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2016/06/14/best-pc-games-2016/

I bolded my favorites in the list. Duskers, Oxenfree, Devil Daggers, and Samorost 3 are all must-plays IMO

gothy2016.jpg

American Truck Simulator
ATS is ultimately the same (deeply satisfying) game as its predecessor but the new setting is beautifully made and taps into every image of Americana you might have absorbed from decades of film and television.
Apollo 11
More of a ridealong than a game, it was genuinely a thrilling and memorable way to spend an evening.
Californium
Realities collide and crumble in the mind of a failing writer with wonderful surreal results. And in the game.
Cookie Clicker
I like how weird it starts to get and the animations turn weirdly hypnotic, the more you invest.
Dark Souls III
While I’ve only spent ten hours with DS3, it turned out to be my gateway drug to a frightening number of hours with first DS1 and then, most of all, Bloodborne, which has cost me far too much sleep in recent weeks.
Darkest Dungeon
Darkest Dungeon nails its chosen aesthetic, feeling both genuinely horrid and like a satirical take on itself, and the combat is often a blissful barrage of tactical tension
Day Of The Tentacle Remastered
While there are some scenes that feel sparse by the depixelification process, many look wonderful, and the extraordinary improvements to the original voice recording made me feel genuinely joyful.
Devil Daggers
It’s an arena of grinding bones and rattling insectoid limbs that I experience in 30-60 second bursts
Digital Bird Playground
It’s a small game in terms of the space, but has that lovely imaginative freedom I associate with being a kid in a playground.
Doom
I… can’t name a more satisfying single-player first-person shooter since… since I don’t even know when.
Duskers
This is probably the best game of the year so far that we haven’t written about properly.
Dying Light: The Following
It’s a smart game that just so happens to be based around the age-old tradition of hitting dead things in the brain with blunt objects.
Enter The Gungeon
It’s daft, ludicrously hard, and infinitely replayable. Goodness knows what later levels look like, but I have a splendid time in the few I’m able to reach.
Everybody's Gone To The Rapture
Perhaps it’s that I’m precisely the sort of sentimental faith-addled mark that Rapture’s rainclouds are directed toward, but my patience wasn’t tested at all. I loved every minute.
Fantastic Contraption
This is the best thing going in VR right now. That might be faint praise – it’s one of the few VR experiences that feels like a complete game – but it’s joyful even when you move beyond the initial ‘wow’ of virtual reality.
Firewatch
This beautiful, melancholic tale of a man in his 40s, marriage in trouble, hiding in the Wyoming wilderness for a Summer, is like nothing else.
Grim Dawn
Grim Dawn seizes full control of my attention often enough but it’s the down-time that I’m enjoying. It’s a solid and grimly attractive companion.
Hitman
Sapienza is a contender for game of the year all on its own though. I really do think it’s the equal of just about anything in Blood Money.
It's Spring Again
If you’ve ever wondered where spring comes from, been surprised and terrified by the passing of the seasons, this delightful diorama will help you understand
Kathy Rain
Kathy Rain is as good as almost anything Wadjet Eye have released, which is the modern equivalent of putting a point and click game up there with the best of Lucasarts.
North
Wonderful and unnerving first-person puzzle-o-exploring.
Offworld Trading Company
Offworld Trading Company is probably going to end up being my favourite strategy game of 2016 though. It’s frighteningly clever.
Ori and the Blind Forest: Definitive Edition
It’s wonderful that they took a second pass at this completely stunning game, it’s all the more marvellous for it.
Overland
Finji’s XCOM vs roguelite is already a canny blend of strategy and survival
Overwatch
It’s such a great, tight, well-designed game. It’s really easy to pick up and start playing, although you’ll need to work harder to unpick more nuanced or higher level ways of using characters.
Oxenfree
Oxenfree was an unexpected delight for me. Atmospheric, beautiful and with the ability to feel real connections between its characters.
Pony Island
The less you know the better. Just trust me that this is the game you were wrong to ignore, and play it
Samorost 3
A large, peculiar and altogether lovely game that exudes beauty.
Sorcery! Part 3
Part 3 deviates entirely from the linear nature of such books, but applies all the same rules to an open playing field of exploration, across two time periods, with hefty consequences applied based on chosen actions
Stardew Valley
Stardew Valley is an astonishingly appealing game. It’s also one of the strongest examples of an indie developer, a solo developer in this case, creating a near-perfect version of a much-loved game that isn’t available on PC.
Stellaris
While perhaps not the reinvention of either 4X or space grand strategy that I’d hoped for, Stellaris is a bloody good game.
Stephen's Sausage Roll
It’s absolutely delightful as well as being hard as nails.
Stikbold
It’s a dodgeball game with bees, devils, whales and a few other twists, and it controls wonderfully well
Subnautica
This is the happiest and most relaxed I’ve felt in a game in a very long time
SUPERHOT
That it also looks impeccable and that its tiny vignettes are each wrapped in a compelling narrative framework makes SUPERHOT into the best FPS of 2016
Tetrageddon Games
Launching its own desktop environment, Tetrageddon fills your eyes and ears and nose and glands you didn’t even realise you had with noise and colour and surprise and delight and laffs
The Flame in the Flood
I didn’t like this at first but it gradually became this really lovely manageable space where I would pootle along the river,
The Lab
This is more of a set of minigames or proof-of-concepts but it has that Valve humour and polish and it does a really good job of showcasing some of the fledgeling strengths of VR.
The Witcher 3: Blood and Wine
The Witcher 3 is wine, not blood. It’s ageing well, is what I mean
The Witness
The Witness is really a series of doors of revelation, snowballing understanding, gently training my brain to think the way it does.
Tilt Brush
Google’s 3D painting/sculpture toy is VR’s finest hour to date.
Total War: Warhammer
Has many of the familiar Total War flaws but does the big battles exceptionally well
Virtual Desktop
Using Virtual Desktop feels like the future
XCOM 2
What a fantastic sequel though, building on the best bits of the reboot and adding whole new layers. I love it.

ZeroX03

Banned
Hitman
Sapienza is a contender for game of the year all on its own though. I really do think it’s the equal of just about anything in Blood Money.

Nice list. This one is especially true, although I hear the PC version is still dodgy.

Haven’t even played Marrakesh yet and there are two more to come.

Three more to come, and two bonus missions set in Sapienza and Marrakesh.

Corpekata

Banned
Before anyone froths at the mouth like they typically do with RPS lists, the site is a PC site and that is why for instance Uncharted 4 is not on the list.

Tagyhag

Stephen's Sausage Roll
It’s absolutely delightful as well as being hard as nails.

This game seems like it'd just make me pull my teeth out.

And yeah, 2016 has been fantastic so far.

Very solid list (thanks for saving me from all the individual pages, More_Badass!). Stellaris, Overwatch, Stardew Valley, TW3: Blood & Wine, and plenty I haven't played are all great picks. Like, I'm currently playing Total Warhammer and man is that game fun--somehow the Warhammer IP + a slightly stripped down Total War becomes absolute catnip. It's been a fantastic year for video games.

Also, Overland sounds really cool; I've never heard of it before. I actually confused it with Overfall (and don't even mention Overwatch, man...) It's all a bit overmuch.
Great list. I've gotta play samorost 3 ASAP.

Only thing I would remove is XCOM 2 because I didn't care much for it.
XCOM 2 does some great stuff. Putting aside the design improvements, the procedurally-generated maps and terrain destructability put it a solid step above XCOM: EU. Altogether, it leads to some amazing and awesome situations that just aren't possible in the old games.

Any impressions/writeups on Overland?
Posted some impressions a few months back. There are currently 149 alpha keys still available here
The end has come and gone. Charred corpses litter the ground. Insectoid beings emerge from below. Abandoned vehicles rust on the roadside. Aliens? A tear in reality? Some unknown species released from the bowels of the earth? Whatever calamity ravaged the planet, the only thing that matters now is survival, in the tactical cross-country roguelike Overland.

Overland blends resource-managing map travel, reminiscent of games like FTL and Convoy, with strategic turn-based scavenging on low-poly dioramic stages. Your goal is westward, as you and a companion, either human or canine depending on your luck, travel the roads across America. Considering the focus on travel, fuel is perhaps the most important resource: each stop on the map costs varying amount of gas, and the promise of finding more can tempt you to take on a risky encounter.

Choosing an destination on the map screen drops you into a self-contained isometric encounter, bisected by the road and populated with randomized arrays of enemies, supplies, environmental features, and other elements. At the strategic level, you soon learn that the most crucial tool at your disposal is your vehicle. Your car is your means of escape, your transport through the stage, able to store extra supplies and ram through creatures, and explode in spectacular fashion in the worst case scenario. Lose your car to the encroaching horde, and you'd better hope that there's another vehicle on the map to commandeer.

Playing the recently-released private alpha, the game that I was most reminded of was actually the mobile roguelike Hoplite. Hoplite is often praised for its very almost puzzle-like combat, where you can use the knowledge of enemy's range and attacks to meticulously plan out your strategy and remain unscathed. Similarly, Overland's turn-based encounters are more tactical puzzles than classic roguelike combat. With only two action points per character, and only able to hold one item, each action must be economical, efficient, and carefully considered.

The tactical puzzles grow more complex as you travel from the east-coast fields to dry-grass plains, temperate forests, and beyond. Characters may start with special traits or develop new ones over days, such as improved stamina (extra action point) or CPR training (reviving survivors), You can pick up new passengers if you have empty seats in your car...or leave them to act as a distraction for creatures. The environment is as important to consider as your own strategies. Prairie grass can be set aflame (or may already be burning when you arrive), creating a useful barrier that could turn deadly as the fire spreads across the map. Fuel can be used to fill your gas tank, or poured on adjacent tiles to create a flammable surface. Dumpsters and other debris can block the roadway, forcing you to divide your group between clearing a path, driving the car, and scavenging the map simultaneously.

That juggling act defines Overland's challenge. This isn't a game of clearing out an area to safely loot; it's an ever-tightening vise of tension and danger, as each loud rummaging through dumpsters and derelict cars draws more skittering creatures. as you choose which supplies to gather, as you drive the car to the exit while maneuvering everyone back to the vehicle safely. Killing is your absolute last resort, as the dying screech of a monster will only attract more. Playing aggressively but cautiously is your best strategy, always being aware of where enemies are in relation to your characters and your car, always weighing the risk and reward of each action.

Overland may already have a solid and compelling foundation, but it's still only an alpha, and the developers have plans for many interesting features in the future, ranging from customizing your vehicle with armor and other additions to groups of survivors that you can trade with...or brutally murder (a choice that come back to haunt you).

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
They could have added a couple more by just listing every game of 2016.

I'm not sure if you play games on PC, which is the platform RPS covers, but 1948 video games have released on Steam this year so this is the top 2% of Steam games.

By contrast, ~275 games came out on PS4, so the equivalent list on PS4 would be 5 games. I don't think we'd call a "Top 5 PS4 Games of 2016" list overkill for including too many games.

Sloane

Banned
Yeah, 2016 is pretty amazing so far. If you count early access (which they seem to do considering Overland and stuff), you might even want to add a few games -- like PlanetCoaster, for example.

Arulan

I know it came out recently, but Hearts of Iron IV missing stands out to me.

So far it has been a great year. It's not quite as CRPG packed as the last two, but there is still another half of the year. Also, it might give me a chance to finally start to catch up. ;) Or maybe not with Hearts of Iron IV and Stellaris... It has been a fantastic year for strategy of many kinds, and there is still more to come. And of course, this is the first year of VR!

Is Oxenfree worth playing?
My GOTY so far. It's the most innovative game in the subgenre since The Walking Dead revitalized the subgenre. Its walk-and-talk structure allows for pacing and natural dialogue flow that similar games can't do, and the New Game Plus extends the story in meaningful ways. I really liked and was rooting for all the characters, and the game knows how to pull off eerie and creepy without being oppressively scary. The creative director was one of the writers of Tales from the Borderlands and Wolf Among Us; the game and studio has a lot of Telltale talent behind it

Karak

Oxenfree without a doubt.
Rarely ever find anything of worth at RPS but if they list almost every game we are bound to agree on something.

Karak

Is Oxenfree worth playing?

Its worth owning many times lol. As I do.
yes as i already pointed out to the last person who thought this was insightful, this is 2% of the games that came out on steam this year, equivalent to listing a top 5 ps4 games list.

Not insightful its the hilarity of such a large list. Which is undeniable for anyone who got past basic numbers in gradeschool.

Nice list. This one is especially true, although I hear the PC version is still dodgy.

Three more to come, and two bonus missions set in Sapienza and Marrakesh.

Sapienza is pretty sweet but ya the best part about Hitman is EASILY their return too the well on older maps and keeping the entire game worth playing. Fantastic bullseye on that titles gameplay loop.

Oxenfree without a doubt.
Rarely ever find anything of worth at RPS but if they list almost every game we are bound to agree on something.
Really? I find they often cover some lesser-known and smaller indie games. They're one of the main gaming site I frequent for learning about stuff

Uthred

A paragraph per page? Slideshow formats are terrible.

I'm not sure if you play games on PC, which is the platform RPS covers, but 1948 video games have released on Steam this year so this is the top 2% of Steam games.

While true its also true that RPS almost certainly hasnt played all of those games. So I imagine the percentage of games theyve actually played is significantly higher than 2%

Karak

Really? I find they often cover some lesser-known and smaller indie games. They're one of the main gaming site I frequent for learning about stuff
Coverage isn't the same as insightful. And there have been so many times where its been proven they haven't got far enough in a game to even come close to giving an accurate reflection of gameplay states evolving that it kills my soul a bit.

I think I'll disagree, there are certain themes in both that games that are likely to be tangible to a certain age range demographic.
Oh you mean younger than when school would have occurred or those situations? Well ya but I think kids under say teen wouldn't be fans anyway.

I think I'll disagree, there are certain themes in both that games that are likely to be tangible to a certain age range demographic.
I wasn't alive in that 80s so I don't think you need to be in that demographic to appreciate and enjoy the kind of story

danowat

Banned
I wasn't alive in that 80s so I don't think you need to be in that demographic to appreciate and enjoy the kind of story
Maybe not, but maybe to appreciate it more?

Maybe it was just me! But there were certain themes that struck a cord with me personally, I don't think I would have enjoyed it as much without those.

Before anyone froths at the mouth like they typically do with RPS lists, the site is a PC site and that is why for instance Uncharted 4 is not on the list.

fuck, i forgot about UC4 until you mentioned it.. the game just didn't stand out as much as UC2 did.

Maybe not, but maybe to appreciate it more?

Maybe it was just me!
I really don't think it's an age thing. Like I'm super hyped for that Stranger Things Netflix series, just because I love those kinds of stories and the setting of that era. And my younger brother enjoyed Super 8.

Karak

fuck, i forgot about UC4 until you mentioned it.. the game just didn't stand out as much as UC2 did.

Me too lol. Actually the list was so big I think I stopped reading by the M's:)

Well maybe not as I say Ori which is also an amazing title.

Me too lol. Actually the list was so big I think I stopped reading by the M's:)

Well maybe not as I say Ori which is also an amazing title.
Did you cover Duskers? It pains me that it doesn't seem to be getting much public attention despite all the critical acclaim it's getting. It's so good

Moff

2016 is shaping up to be one of my favourite years ever in gaming
doom and hitman alone are games that I expect only every few years, but there was also bood&wine, overwatch, xcom 2 and dark souls 3 and dishonored and deus ex are still coming. incredible year.

Karak

Did you cover Duskers? It pains me that it doesn't seem to be getting much public attention despite all the critical acclaim it's getting. It's so good

You know what? I ran out of me. Lol. I simply just am and was too damned busy with other videos on the channel. FYI I finished the Transmission Kickstarter interview and will post it tomorrow.

Top Bottom