• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rocksmith |OT| While My Guitar Gently Weeps

bloodydrake

Cool Smoke Luke
thx for link filled out survey.

my number 1 thing is the ability to blacklist songs or mark songs as favorites.. I hate when they keep adding songs to events I dislike and have to manually scroll thru whole song list to find a replacement.
well the ability to navigate the songs better would be a close second.

http://theherofeed.com/3883/rocksmith-release-its-first-gear-pack-and-its-heavy/

For those of you that don’t check the Xbox Live Marketplace at 5 AM every Tuesday we thought we’d let you know that Rocksmith has released it’s first (we assume of many) DLC Gear Packs. This one is focused on Heavy Metal and features the following:

The RSMP-12: A Custom high-gain amp and extended bass response 4×12 cabinet
The Caverb: a “cavernous” reverb pedal
The SicSicSicS: A Solo boost pedal
The Scooped: An active parametric EQ pedal
“Heavy Metal – Gear Pack” - 400 MSP ($5.00)

http://www.trueachievements.com/n7744/rocksmith-heads-to-japan.htm

Ubisoft Japan has today confirmed that Rocksmith will be heading over to Japan. This is the first time that the game has been confirmed for release outside of North America. As a game that allows players to plug in a guitar that they already own, players have been clamouring for the game to make the jump across the water to a region near them.

Unfortunately there is still no news on the hopes of the game receiving a European release. Until the lawsuit regarding the use of the name "Rocksmith" is resolved, there is little chance of the game being released in this region.

The release date for Japan is "still pending", but we'll let you know more when it is announced.

ronito

So I've been playing with the idea of getting this to teach my kids. I tried teaching them the classical stuff which I know, but it's not really exciting and it's been years since I taught kids. How would you guys think this would do for teaching kids how to play?

Falagard

So I've been playing with the idea of getting this to teach my kids. I tried teaching them the classical stuff which I know, but it's not really exciting and it's been years since I taught kids. How would you guys think this would do for teaching kids how to play?

That's tricky, depends on age, etc.

I think it could be used to keep them interested and since it's a video game, it's fun to play and practice. The biggest problem, I think, is it doesn't teach you chords, which is where I think learning guitar should start - practice chords and switching between them.

But you know, it might get them interested enough and give enough positive re-enforcement to get them going.

That's tricky, depends on age, etc.

I think it could be used to keep them interested and since it's a video game, it's fun to play and practice. The biggest problem, I think, is it doesn't teach you chords, which is where I think learning guitar should start - practice chords and switching between them.

But you know, it might get them interested enough and give enough positive re-enforcement to get them going.

That's not entirely true; the game may not do dedicated chord training but it does have a chord challenge and the arcade game. At the very least Satisfaction will force them to learn to switch from E to A to D over and over again. There are a lot of videos on the disc that I've never looked at, too. I'll also argue that scales are as important as chords and Scale Runner is really, really good for that.

Assuming you aren't going to pay for lessons then I'd say Rocksmith plus justinguitar would be the best combo, with more focus on the latter at first.

I learned to sight read and play melodies from popular songs years before I learned chords, when I was a kid (started at 7).

I used to be an instructor and with kids it all comes down to how much they actually want to learn. Another big question for Rocksmith will be if they like the songs in the game. If the answers are positive to both of those then it will be a great purchase. If either is a negative then it might just sit there unused, or just be a lot of fun you like it is for me at my house.

Falagard

That's not entirely true; the game may not do dedicated chord training but it does have a chord challenge and the arcade game. At the very least Satisfaction will force them to learn to switch from E to A to D over and over again. There are a lot of videos on the disc that I've never looked at, too. I'll also argue that scales are as important as chords and Scale Runner is really, really good for that.

Assuming you aren't going to pay for lessons then I'd say Rocksmith plus justinguitar would be the best combo, with more focus on the latter at first.

What I mean is that with chords you can play almost any song, without actually learning all the individual notes of the song.

I usually start learning a song by playing the chords, then progress into the flourishes that make up the song.

If I was going to teach someone to play a song, I would first teach them the chords of the song, then progress to the individual notes. Know what I mean?

http://theherofeed.com/3986/ubisoft-confirms-europe-release-for-rocksmith/

“Today, Ubisoft® announced that Rocksmith™, an innovative, efficient and fun way to learn how to play the guitar, will be released on September 14, 2012 in the UK for the Xbox 360® video game and entertainment system from Microsoft, PlayStation®3 and later on Windows PC/MAC. Highly acclaimed in North America, Rocksmith is a revolution in the music game genre: for the first time ever, players can plug any real electric guitar into their Xbox 360 console, PlayStation®3 or PC/MAC. No more plastic, no more button bashing: Rocksmith is the real thing for those who are serious about guitar learning and playing. The UK version of Rocksmith will include the original game already released in North America plus exclusive additional content.”

I was holding off on buying DLC until the PC version but I guess I'll just bite the bullet for B.B. That also makes me far more resistant to double-dipping on the PC version so I guess good job Ubisoft?

Screen-Shot-2012-03-27-at-2.29.44-PM.png

Any idea why my guitar works fine in the songs that come on discount, but when I play Tighten Up, it doesn't register 90% of the chords I play?

Got this a month ago when it was on sale and to be honest I was skeptical. But I head these two guitars that have just been collecting dust in my room. I tried to learn them before but I insisted on self teaching since I do not want to get a lessons teacher.

And wow, I'm amazed at how well it worked for me. I've been steadily getting better since day 1. To any on the fence about it it's definitely worth it. Just play a little big each day and you should have no disappointment. Also if you find a song you don't particularly like don't make that an excuse to skip over it, each song teaches you something different and I've been finding it key to practice them all. I have got this habit where I start off each session playing some Scale Runner followed up by a little Dawn of the Chordead before going into my concerts, Guitarcade is genius.

There are some drawbacks though. The tuner in the game isn't all that great which can lead to some issues when you perform a song, but that can be solved with your separate tuner. And sometimes the game doesn't always explain certain techniques effectively, but the internet is amazing. Anything that the game leaves you unclear on can be found in greater detail on YouTube.

Dawn of the Chordead?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UZRqc_ycG2Q
Very fun way to learn chords and practice switching between them.

Hello Rocksmith Fans,
We’re aware that there’s some confusion about the official PC Release date for Rocksmith and that multiple dates have been communicated across retailers and online news outlets.

We want to set the record straight with you guys: Rocksmith PC will not be released in May. It is currently targeted for release this Fall, and we will provide an official release date as soon as it is confirmed. But don’t be too bummed, we’ve got some amazing stuff planned in the near future.

We’d like to thank our PC Community for their ongoing patience and passion and are very excited to bring our game to a new platform, but as you know, it’s a long way to the top… if you wanna rock n’ roll.

Thank you,
Rocksmith Team

http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/666780-Rocksmith-PC-Release-Date

Top Bottom