• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rockstar clears up Red Dead Redemption 2 installation requirement reports

Silent Duck

What a Twist, indeed.
giphy.gif

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
Fuck, this is going to take forever to install via the disc on XB1. I joked that people going digital would play before me even though I'm getting it at 9pm the day before launch, but now I think that might actually be the case D:

AlexxKidd

Fuck, this is going to take forever to install via the disc on XB1. I joked that people going digital would play before me even though I'm getting it at 9pm the day before launch, but now I think that might actually be the case D:

Installation is faster if you're going off a disc. You should be fine.

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
It's usually crazy slow in comparison to downloading digitally in my experience. Whereas on the PS4 it's the opposite for me. That shit always throttles me down to 6 mb/sec.

Caayn

Is there any reason why the digital installation on PS4 requires 50GB of temporary space in order to install? Whereas that same demand seems to be non-existent for the disc version.
This would depend on your network and how fast you can download from the respective service.

Codes 208

It's usually crazy slow in comparison to downloading digitally in my experience. Whereas on the PS4 it's the opposite for me. That shit always throttles me down to 6 mb/sec.
If it helps, while installing and it says it needs to update, say update later. For whatever reason the xbox is always slower when installing and downloading at the same time

Otherwise yeah I definitely agree. Only took about an hour for my ps4 to DL blops4 but halo 5 took several hours and it wasnt even as big

AlexxKidd

If it helps, while installing and it says it needs to update, say update later. For whatever reason the xbox is always slower when installing and downloading at the same time

Otherwise yeah I definitely agree. Only took about an hour for my ps4 to DL blops4 but halo 5 took several hours and it wasnt even as big

Ahh, I didn't know about that Xbox life. It actually wouldn't affect me too much because I'm all digital. The only time is deal with discs is when I Gamefly them.

Codes 208

Ahh, I didn't know about that Xbox life. It actually wouldn't affect me too much because I'm all digital. The only time is deal with discs is when I Gamefly them.
Most of the time I buy digitql. But I buy physical at launch because of my best buy gamersclub.

NickFire

Wow. 149 GB for PS4. Even with 2 TB I might be deleting stuff.

What kind of storage is next gen going to need out of the box?

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
What's most shocking is that Sony hasn't figured out how to install a game without requiring 50% more space than the actual install.

ILLtown

I don't know if MS have removed this option, but you used to be able to digitally download a game even if you only owned it on disc: -

1. Insert the disc and start the install.

2. Press the menu button on the game in your download queue and choose to view it in the store.

3. Cancel the installation.

4. You should now see an "Install" button in the Store instead of a "Buy" button and when you click on that, it will start downloading the game instead of installing it from disc.

Obviously you still need the disc in to play once the download is done.

I'm not sure if this was something MS intended to do or if it was just some glitch you could trigger, but it was still working a few months ago.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Wow. 149 GB for PS4. Even with 2 TB I might be deleting stuff.

What kind of storage is next gen going to need out of the box?

149 GB needs to be available for the digital download/install. Once installed, it will be 99 GB just like the disc.

Last edited:

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
That's "WITH" optimizations. Games are just big these days.

I can let Red dead redemption pass this size of GB because seems such quality, But Call of Duty Black Ops 4 is lazy thing, How can be posible that this "Game and Other COD need more of 50GB? for the long of game and graphics is ridiculous.

NickFire

I can let Red dead redemption pass this size of GB because seems such quality, But Call of Duty Black Ops 4 is lazy thing, How can be posible that this "Game and Other COD need more of 50GB? for the long of game and graphics is ridiculous.
I'm not exactly an expert, but I would think the volume of maps alone takes a ton of space.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I'm not exactly an expert, but I would think the volume of maps alone takes a ton of space.

Yep, same with DOOM. It is sitting on my PS4 still (need to complete it) at almost 80GB and that is due to all the multiplayer stuff (maps/etc.) they added post launch.

Last edited:

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
I don't know if MS have removed this option, but you used to be able to digitally download a game even if you only owned it on disc: -

1. Insert the disc and start the install.

2. Press the menu button on the game in your download queue and choose to view it in the store.

3. Cancel the installation.

4. You should now see an "Install" button in the Store instead of a "Buy" button and when you click on that, it will start downloading the game instead of installing it from disc.

Obviously you still need the disc in to play once the download is done.

I'm not sure if this was something MS intended to do or if it was just some glitch you could trigger, but it was still working a few months ago.
Ooooh, I'll be sure to try this. Thanks.

I'm sorry, but you have no idea what you're talking about. There isn't necessarily any correlation between file size and game length.

Last edited:

Stuart360

I dont get why games are like 10+ times bigger than last gen, games certainly are not 10x better looking than last gen.

theHFIC

if only the team that handles asset compression at Rockstar put in the same amount of hours working as the writing team we'd have a 50 GB install.

Pagusas

Elden Member
Jesus stop your bitching people, its a one time thing then you get to enjoy the game. I'd rather they worry more about the game than the install time/size.

HotPocket69

Banned
Yep, same with DOOM. It is sitting on my PS4 still (need to complete it) at almost 80GB and that is due to all the multiplayer stuff (maps/etc.) they added post launch.

GTAV is a massive one too with all of the online updates. That and Doom are some of the biggest downloads out there.

When all is said and done after years of updates I bet RDR2 will actually be around 150GB total.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I dont get why games are like 10+ times bigger than last gen, games certainly are not 10x better looking than last gen.

They are not 10X bigger.

On average 3-4X, and yes, the games look 3-4X better if you calculate resolution and all other assets between textures, foliage density, NPC density, lighting, etc..

I would argue lighting is definitely a night and day difference compared to last gen.

Last edited:

Stuart360

They are not 10X bigger.

On average 3-4X, and yes, the games look 3-4X better if you calculate resolution and all other assets between textures, foliage density, NPC density, lighting, etc..

I would argue lighting is definitely a night and day difference compared to last gen.
Games last gen were like around 8gb weren't they?

Stuart360

Some were, and there were plenty around 15GB even 30-40GB depending on the game. I believe GoW: Ascension is around 34GB (remember that recently because it is in my backlog from PS+).
I'm pretty sure the majority were in the 4-8gb range. The PC versions were anyway and PC versions are usually slightly bigger than the console versions. I mean i'm sure there were a few exceptions like you said with GOW.

Took them long enough to answer these questions

I'm surprized that they felt like this was even worth acknowledging lol, but I imagine they don't wish to have any unnecessary negative PR regardless of how inconsequential it is in the grand scheme of things.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I'm pretty sure the majority were in the 4-8gb range. The PC versions were anyway and PC versions are usually slightly bigger than the console versions. I mean i'm sure there were a few exceptions like you said with GOW.

We were also running off the disc last gen with compression techniques and the like (the 360 did not have BR remember, it was still DVD). Now since they have full installs, there is less need for heavy compression. And as I mentioned before, the assets are of much higher fidelity than last gen across the board which will eat up lots of storage.

Top Bottom