• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rockstar Interview on GTAV

sappyday

I'm baffled to how this game is being made on this gen consoles. I really really can't imagine what R* can do with next gen consoles.

Dennis

Banned
Do we know if Rockstar uses outsourcing for production of the massive number of art assets?

Last of Us did this to tremendously great effect.

I'm baffled to how this game is being made on this gen consoles. I really really can't imagine what R* can do with next gen consoles.

Because money. If you mean graphically, then this definitely looks like a current gen game.

DireStr8s

What more is there really to say? This game will take priority over everything in my life outside of work and sleep. If this is GTA at its core, it's pretty much my game of the generation. I can confidently say that without playing it.

Amen. A widow maker cometh September 17

Xanadu

Banned
Do we know if Rockstar uses outsourcing for production of the massive number of art assets?

Last of Us did this to tremendously great effect.

Because money. If you mean graphically, then this definitely looks like a current gen game.

why so down :/

Dennis

Banned
why so down :/

I am not down on the game. I am sure it will be the best GTA yet and it is one of the games I am most looking forward to.

But I don't doubt for a second that if this had not been a GTA game people would be mocking the graphics. Scope notwithstanding. I don't see why we should go easy on them.

Gun Animal

I am not down on the game. I am sure it will be the best GTA yet and it is one of the games I am most looking forward to.

But I don't doubt for a second that if this had not been a GTA game people would be mocking the graphics. Scope notwithstanding. I don't see why we should go easy on them.

Well, I've seen enough people getting pissed about all the fog, but as I see it, fog is much better than lots of noticeable pop-in. It actually looks like they're kinda going the Wind Waker route by silhouetting larger structures in the distance and covering everything else with fog. Other than that it seems to look pretty amazing, although I've never had a good eye for these things.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
I'll just echo that if the framerate seems fine (i.e. a locked 30 fps, or at least close to it) I'll probably be getting the PS3 version. But if it's 20-25 fps, like GTA IV? Nope. I'm really disappointed no PS4 version has been announced, as I feel the current consoles are simply not capable of doing this incredibly ambitious game justice, but it is what it is. I don't want to be waiting a year to play the game. This and Beyond will be my PS3's dual swansong, I guess.

Booshka

Well, I've seen enough people getting pissed about all the fog, but as I see it, fog is much better than lots of noticeable pop-in. It actually looks like they're kinda going the Wind Waker route by silhouetting larger structures in the distance and covering everything else with fog. Other than that it seems to look pretty amazing, although I've never had a good eye for these things.

At least it's not as bad as Vanilla Morrowind.

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
I expect a plethora of 10s when this game comes out and then people being wary of how good it really is until the hear from gamers.

Sylent01

"It’s hard to narrow down to specifics. We’ve got a huge, huge number of cars, and they’re balanced through the map as they would be in the real world. We checked census listings for accurate information on population sizes from town to town, we checked vehicle ownership and sales statistics to get a sense of which vehicles were popular in specific areas."

Sounds like they've licked the car spawning problem. Hopefully it won't be nearly as hard to find any specific vehicle as it was in IV. I wonder how many more vehicles than IV this will have.

nkarafo

The game looks incredible already but what about frame rate?

That was the one aspect in GTA IV that i hated the most.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I really hope the PC port isn't a piece of shit this time around. Max Payne 3 is superbly optimised and it'd be nice if similar effort has been paid to GTAV.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
god i dont want to get suckered in to buying another rockstar game i'll be bored with a few hours in... but its so hard

BigDug13

It's not fog. It's smog. Have you been to LA? It just so happens that an actual weather feature of LA works to help the game's graphics and draw distance pop-in. Lucky them. They can use "fog" to both hide pop-in and also accurately display the visual distance in that region.

(Yet another reason that So Cal GTA is best GTA.)

yo i got a conspiracy.......

this game will crash your consoles to death so you will have to buy a new one but since next gen consoles will come out u will say fuck it ill just get a next gen console instead and thats what r* will reveal a next gen port !!!!!!!!

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
I really hope the PC port isn't a piece of shit this time around. Max Payne 3 is superbly optimised and it'd be nice if similar effort has been paid to GTAV.

Yeah, hopefully Rockstar Vancouver handle the PC port and not Leeds (L.A Noire crap port).

RoadHazard

Gold Member
It's not fog. It's smog. Have you been to LA? It just so happens that an actual weather feature of LA works to help the game's graphics and draw distance pop-in. Lucky them. They can use "fog" to both hide pop-in and also accurately display the visual distance in that region.

(Yet another reason that So Cal GTA is best GTA.)

Smog isn't weather, it's air pollution.

We’ve simply not copied buildings around the map or procedurally generated the terrain to pad it out. It’s all handcrafted, all unique, and we’ve gone over it all again and again and again to make sure there’s enough layering of detail that I don’t think many people will ever see everything we’ve put into the world.
Oh R* I love you so much.

Nothing more heart breaking than realizing that large scale game you're playing is ultimately the same damn assets repeated over and over. Oblivion was so guilty of this. A lot of larger western games are.

nkarafo

Is anyone worried about the 360 version? With a world as large and detailed as this (with so many different assets and art) it seems to me that 2 discs aren't enough.

Satchel

Banned
Amazing they could pull this off on current hardware. I assume the 360 version would utilize the install disc, play off the other option like Forza and Halo 4.

Imagine what they could do on next Gen.

Ogimachi

The backlash for this will be legendary.
Lots of people - including myself - didn't like GTA IV very much, many others hate it. I think expectations are more reasonable now, except for the press. I'd bet we're going to see oscar-worthy reviews all over again.

nkarafo

I assume the 360 version would utilize the install disc, play off the other option like Forza and Halo 4.
Max Payne 3 is a 2 disc game and even if you install it in HD it still asks you to change discs during play. Same with Dead Space 2.

Seeing this kind of hype is exhausting as it enforces a false equivalency across developers. Give any talented developers the money, time and manpower R* has and I absolutely guarantee they will produce an equivalent or even better output than what we're seeing on GTA. This isn't to shoot down R* talent but if they were to pull this is off in a 150+ man team in a span of 3 years THEN the hype would be warranted.

thecheese

I have wanted lights and objects, etc. to not fade or pop in since GTA III.

This is my dream come true. Loving everything I'm reading.

My predictions for GTA VI

- Any damage you do is repaired realistically (electrician trucks repairing lamp posts, etc.)

- Free flowing water and fluids.

- Realistic fires, burn the whole town down if you can.

- Realistic building destruction, blow the support beams down and watch it fall.

- Seasons, for the LOVE OF GOD give me seasons.

More of a wish list but I can dream right.

Seasons are a necessity for the next installment. In fact, I would love a real-time GTA game à la Animal Crossing.

sytadel

ZQqtcgY.jpg

Clipboard01_zps3e505eb3.jpg

SlickVic

Even with all the issues I had with GTA IV, the sheer density of Liberty City never ceases to impress me. I think the thing that excites me the most about GTA V is seeing how much they've built off that design now 5+ years later for Los Santos.

-SD-

Banned
Re: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=69137356&postcount=1431

Rock* said:
But the really cool bit is that you can see a street light in a distant town, fly toward it for kilometers until the street itself is visible and the light bulb eventually comes into view. It’s amazing. It’s a level of solidity that I’ve never seen before. It brings the world alive in an incredibly realistic and organic way. That all the lighting the artists have placed to fill out streets and buildings form, at a macro level, the shape of the settlements themselves, that you can look over the desert and see the little towns and trailer parks miles away and get a feel for the road layout even in total darkness and know that it’s not faked, that you can go there: That’s cool.
If GAF reports that there indeed is no pop-up, I will buy the game (PC version), solely to support and notion such a historic achievement in gaming tech.

BigDug13

Smog isn't weather, it's air pollution.

My point is unchanged by your correction. The fact that smog is inherent to So Cal means that a game based in that same region can use game fog to simulate something that actually happens in real life so it is no longer an unnatural effect added to a game to hide pop-in and draw distance.

So people that whine about "OMG fog!" Don't really have a leg to stand on in this particular instance since the use of in-game fog matches the actual conditions in the region.

Dabanton

I love the jab at just cause copy paste style of world building. I hate that.

Indeed.

I never get the feeling of a unique area I can learn the layout of when I play JC. Yeah it's big but most of it is empty unused space.

That's one thing I say R* nails in all there games from this gen especially. Every part of the map looks like someone has said what can we do to make this part rememberable.

Top Bottom