• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rockstar Interview on GTAV

Officially the biggest game of this gen for me. This game is going to be epic in every sense.
Just reading that interview I had to change my underwear twice. I still play GTAIV to this day just to explore the city and the large amount of detail R* put into their games, now x100 this for GTAV.

The budget for this game must be astronomical. 5 1/2 years of working on and improving the engine in so many ways.

And then there's the thought of a next-gen version, built ground up (not a port of V) of VI. I'm sure we're a long way off of that, but in the meantime we've got V to play, and hopefully not that longer an improved PC version.

Dennis

Banned
I don't I will ever really be content until every single building can be entered and I know that every object inside was placed by hand.

I never had any issue with the technology used in GTA titles. It was never the greatest at the time of release but it did the job well enough.

I'm more concerned that they haven't learned from past mistakes and the gameplay stinks as much as it did in GTA IV. The game just wasn't fun.

In the article it seems they're concentrating on the visuals again above all else, with little mention of improvements elsewhere - which sets alarms bells ringing.

Alienous

I don't think I will ever really be content until every single building can be entered and I know that every object inside was placed by hand.

You'll never be content.

You probably can't even pick up small objects like in GTA IV.

Practically ruins everything.

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
i6kofZVDCO6GN.gif

So ready.

Probably going to be my last current gen game before next gen sweeps me away, but with Red Dead Redemption and Max Payne 3 satisfactorily under my belt, I have little doubt that it can carry me through.

Alienous

I don't understand why so many people don't get this. Rockstar aren't wizards. The FPS will hover between 25-30fps throughout the game.

I think it's quite clear that Rockstar have made concessions in making GTA V. The texture quality is easily identifiable proof.

I don't understand why people think they know better than the people making the game. Go and watch some trailers for GTA IV and Red Dead Redemption; Rockstar haven't misled anybody on the final quality of the announced versions of a game before.

You might be right, but if 25-30fps is what the trailers represent, then I'm fine with it. I'm fairly convinced that with an 8GB installation, the fact that GTA V is an open world game will have little bearing on the games performance. Is it the draw distances that will be the problem. because Just Cause 2 doesn't struggle with that.

And, from a technological perspective, I'd argue that Rockstar are wizards.

We’ve simply not copied buildings around the map or procedurally generated the terrain to pad it out. It’s all handcrafted, all unique, and we’ve gone over it all again and again and again to make sure there’s enough layering of detail that I don’t think many people will ever see everything we’ve put into the world.

I hope he's not bullshitting us with that one, but I don't think so considering that's how I feel about GTA San Andreas and GTAIV... I was blown away by Liberty City in GTA IV, every damned street feels unique. It's like playing a small and super polished game like Metroid Prime or Uncharted, but instead of small corridors you're in a huge city.

UrbanRats

Re: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=69137356&postcount=1431

If GAF reports that there indeed is no pop-up, I will buy the game (PC version), solely to support and notion such a historic achievement in gaming tech.

We shall see - and judge.

But if it holds then that is as you say, historic.
At best they masked it really well (there wasn't any too noticeable in the gameplay trailer) but no pop up at all it's simply impossible.
I mean you can't load 100% of the objects, so at some point when you're flying low on the map, from A to B, it'll gonna have to load the new details.

I have to say though, RDR had a very smooth and generally unnoticeable pop in... it also had no jets in it.

SirNinja

If Rockstar and Naughty Dog teamed up

Two hardened criminals travel through a post-apocalyptic Liberty City, forging an unbreakable bond as they irreverently blow up things with rocket launchers.

Dogstar Games Presents: The Blast of Us. GOTY 2017.

Creaking

tumblr_ma0dd9KE5G1rby3r6o1_500.gif

Why the masters of linearity should team up with the masters of free roaming? I do not want

They're the masters of being graphical wizards, that's what they are. Naughty Dog has had experience making open world games before, despite their most recent claims to fame.

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
So from gta4 they only learned to make better graphics?
No thanks, i don't want another grand boring auto.

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood

image.php

You're not taking into account what is said in the interview: create the graphic for a linear game is completely different task. For me Rockstar is a graphical powerhouse too, so they don't need Naughty Dog at all.
Yeah yeah think what you want, but i loved all the gta3 games i played and gta4 was the game i bought together with the ps3, such a boring and overrated shit.
If they from the release of gta4 learned only to make better looking world and graphics then gta is definitively dead to me, city and graphics could even be at ps9 level, what i want is the fun.
Maybe gta5 will be as fun as gta3 games, i would be happy, but at the moment gta5 screens and trailers already bore me.

It does sound great. I hope it has more of the little micro details GTAIV had, like if you drive through a tunnel while on the phone you get interference on the line.

I'm also bizarrely hyped for the tennis mini game.

Well if you put it that way
tumblr_m7j0hm5akR1rby3r6o1_500.gif

to you not giving a fuck

You said GTAV screen and trailers bored you to death, but you do not explain what you expect.

Maybe Saint's Row better fit your taste, maybe your are not in the mood for this kind of game, but how do you objectively play down what has been shown?

There's virtually everything that made GTA awesome.

Creaking

You're not taking into account what is said in the interview: create the graphic for a linear game is completely different task.

And thus, they can learn so much from each other. And we will race behind them, we will stumble, we will fall. But in time, we will join them in the sun. In time, they will help us accomplish wonders.

Shiz86

Hype is now reaching critical levels! Christmas 2013 is coming early this year, new date is September 17th.

That interview was great and really made me look forward to exploring the world even more. As a couple of other posters have said though, if they haven’t fixed the missions so you can actually take out your mark early on like the PS2 gen GTA games then it’s all for nothing.

The sandbox nature of GTA is what brought the games to the next level, I understand the games cost a lot to make these days and with more drawn out missions you can’t just kill the target when the mission is only 50% complete as assets, voice acting etc may be wasted but at least give people the choice. Fingers crossed they have sussed that though, R* are pretty on the ball.

Daffy Duck

It's not really that hard to think they may well be able to pull off a decent frame rate with GTA V on current gen consoles, they even say in the interview they've been working with the tech for nearly a decade, and you can bet that R* of all people will now how to optimise the engine to get the most out of the hardware.

All of the things I read do not surprise me when it comes down to Rockstar.

GTA IV has been their first step into the current generation so they learned a lot in the technical side of things. They must have been working on this game since 2009, so the amount of polish for an open world game like this will definitely be there.

I do not think people will go wrong with any version, PS3 or 360.

It's not really that hard to think they may well be able to pull off a decent frame rate with GTA V on current gen consoles, they even say in the interview they've been working with the tech for nearly a decade, and you can bet that R* of all people will now how to optimise the engine to get the most out of the hardware.
I bet it will be fine for the most part. I'm sure explosive scenes will chug a bit, but the brief clips in the gameplay vid looked pretty smooth.

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
You said GTAV screen and trailers bored you to death, but you do not explain what you expect.

Maybe Saint's Row better fit your taste, maybe your are not in the mood for this kind of game, but how do you objectively play down what has been shown?

There's virtually everything that made GTA awesome.

As i said i can be wrong, i would be happy to be wrong, but when they say that
"Customized cars can end up impounded if left on the street; pay a fine to retrieve it"(http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=619496)
I'm already pissed, this is not the "realism" i want, if this trend will continue in gta6 we should go to the office and wait for the turn to pay that fee and get the car and other similar things!
Gta5 looks to me more like a bigger gta4 that had more focus on story and realism than on all the things that made me love gta3 games.
I have zero interest in criminals' stories, i personalize a car and the character a pair of times and then never again, i try minigames one time and then never again, these are not the things i want they to focus on, i want the freedom and the mindless fun of the gta3 games.
I'd like to be wrong, but the premises don't look good for me.

MMaRsu

Banned
"Customized cars can end up impounded if left on the street; pay a fine to retrieve it"(http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=619496)
I'm already pissed, this is not the "realism" i want, if this trend will continue in gta6 we should go to the office and wait for the turn to pay that fee and get the car and other similar things!
Gta5 looks to me more like a bigger gta4 that had more focus on story and realism than on all the things that made me love gta3 games.
I have zero interest in criminals' stories, i personalize a car and the character a pair of times and then never again, i try minigames one time and then never again, these are not the things i want they focus on, i want the freedom and the mindless fun of the gta3 games.

So what are the things that made you love the gta3 series of games?

GTAIV didn't even have garages.. now if you leave your vehicle somewhere on the street and take off with a different car, you can pay a minimal fee to retrieve it. It will probably be available in your garage after paying a small amount of cash.

I don't see the big problem with this. A bigger emphasis on story is only logical too.

This... Once again, I will be disconnecting, literally from the world. Job, GF, familly, friends. For a week. I just need to stock up on beers, junk food and ask the GF to hold it for a week. Can't have sex, I have to keep my mind free'd up you know?

Ghd7f89.gif

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
So what are the things that made you love the gta3 series of games?

GTAIV didn't even have garages.. now if you leave your vehicle somewhere on the street and take off with a different car, you can pay a minimal fee to retrieve it. It will probably be available in your garage after paying a small amount of cash.

I don't see the big problem with this. A bigger emphasis on story is only logical too.
Retrieving a car is really a good thing, but my point is that paying a fee for a car left in the middle of a street is just a sign of a mentality i really don't like and that imo would have no place in gta3 games.

Now I want an interview with the "fun designer". The game sounds technically awesome, but will we get rampages, RC cars and (most importantly) a Love Fist reunion?

Actually. I think Love Fist in GTA5 deserves it's on thread, but I am but a lowly junior.

Endo Punk

Just how are they going to cram all this detail and content in hardware that is 7-8 years old!? I'm not confident it can be pulled off without many shortcomings especially with frame rate. It really sucks they can't confirm PC/next gen version until after current gen release. I don't like to double dip but I may have to.

UrbanRats

I have zero interest in criminals' stories, i personalize a car and the character a pair of times and then never again, i try minigames one time and then never again, these are not the things i want they to focus on, i want the freedom and the mindless fun of the gta3 games.
That's just how you're going to retrieve your highly customized vehicle if you lose it.
Or do you prefer the San Andreas way of spending 15 minutes customizing a car just to lose it forever, 5 minutes out of the garage?

I also reject your idea that GTAs before GTA IV were any more "mindless fun" than what shown of GTA V.
Seems like you're either remembering those games wrong or have some cognitive dissonance going on.

Vice City didn't have any "mindless fun" that wasn't at least somewhat justified in the lore, same for GTA3 and the episodes.
San Andreas was the crazier one, but it still wasn't nearly as absurd as a Saint's Row, the most absurd thing being the Jetpack.

Now you have submarines, properties, bikes, fighter jets, countless activities, quads, parachutes, scuba diving and even fucking companion dogs.
You can hunt, you can plan heists, you can do whatever the fuck you want, so if you're still not convinced that's totally fine with me, but don't come and tell me of the magical days of the old GTAs, because those didn't have more "fun stuff" at all.

Top Bottom