• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rogue One - The best Star Wars story in the Disney era

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
It's the best movie that Disney has made in the Star Wars universe.

But the Mandalorian is still much better.

Werewolf Jones

Gold Member
People shilling Solo need to stop. That movie is bad and just damages Han's character even more than the sequels did.

Rogue One is good but I've come to terms that the characters aren't, but when they're all expendable and doomed to die there's no real need to invest in them majorly unfortunately. Jyn is better than Rey btw.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
It’s not bad, yeah. Feels somewhat butchered by Kathleen with the forced reshoots and edits, most noticeably with the way Whitaker’s character arc plays out. Felt like there was more there originally, his relationship with Jyn etc.

spawn

For the movies yes, Rogue One is the best. If we're combining TV and Movie, The Mandalorian is the best thing to come out of the Disney era

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
The plot could've been cleaner. The involvement of Saul Gurera (sp?) and The Pilot was meaningless, though I'm sure there are some licensed books / comics / cartoons that pivot off that. Otherwise the story actually has forward direction unlike the other Disney SW movies. A bit too much planet-hopping but every modern Star Wars has that issue, too.

Soodanim

I certainly enjoyed Rogue One more than the sequel trilogy.

It’s not bad, yeah. Feels somewhat butchered by Kathleen with the forced reshoots and edits, most noticeably with the way Whitaker’s character arc plays out. Felt like there was more there originally, his relationship with Jyn etc.
Whenever I hear about a a film that was 'corrupted' in some way I really want to see the original. At least we're getting the Snyder Cut of Justice League, but I'd be all over a different cut of Rogue One too.

Last edited:

Ballthyrm

Here is what came out in the Disney Era of Star Wars. 2012 onwards.

Season 5 -> 7 of Star War : Clones Wars

0885F2AAE7F719C31331B3D0C004DDB1BBE7278903E1156B67300BBE7ECC5A34

All these Books and Comics :
Star Wars: Thrawn , the new trilogy.

220px-Star_Wars_Thrawn-Timothy_Zahn.png
Star Wars: Vader Down

VAD_1024x1024@2x.jpg
Star Wars: Dark Disciple

Star Wars: Darth Vader comics

71kTYZIqueL.jpg

And of Course The Mandalorian :

mandalorian-lede-1300x731.jpg

__________________________________________________________________________________________________

PS : There is a good video here about the Star War Comics, probably where Star Wars is the best right now

Kayoba

Wrong. Solo: A star Wars Story is much better.

It was an alright movie, but I just couldn't stand that bloody robot whining about "EKWALITY!".

If that character wasn't in the movie, my overall rating of the movie would be much higher.

Werewolf Jones

Gold Member
Just wanted to say, even after Mandalorian, Rogue One is still the best Star Wars content in the past decade. A masterpiece
Mandalorian is good until the nostalgia pandering. Catering to the babies when you try to establish Mando and Baby Yeed as characters sort of dampens their journey and progress for deus ex machina fan wank.

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
Rogue One isn't the best Star Wars film of the Disney era, but it's also the only decent Star Wars film of the Disney era.

RAÏSanÏa

Absolutely one of my favourites of the Star Wars movies so far.

ANH
ESB
RO

Well told tight story. I really liked the characters too. I feel like I'm one of the few who's actually really looking forward to Andor. Everyone knew how this story ended before it started. A theme!

Ulysses 31

The writing really falls apart under scrutiny. The movie also ignores SW lore(lifeform scanners that the Empire used in the OT) to kick off the story at the start.

Those whole beginning with Krennic parking his shuttle so far and strolling towards the house raises questions about his competency.
What was Lyra thinking going up against 6 death troopers alone instead of escaping with Jyn like the plan said? Why didn't the troopers use blasters set to stun as seen in ANH when they shoot Leia to have more leverage on Galen?
Krennic's troops torch the place and leave, never to return, while they know the Erso's have a child there somewhere.

And that's just the part before the title crawl.

The rest of the movie is filled with idiocy and inconsistencies.

First thing Jyn does is attacking the rebels who free her from an Imperial labor camp with a shovel 🤡 . She thought she could outrun the rebels and the Imperials in her situation?
The rebels know Jyn Erso's fake name but the Empire who arrested her for forging Imperial documents don't bother confirming her real identity and thus don't know she's Galen's daughter? Don't they log finger/dna ID of their prisoners? Also, turns out the rebels singled her out in the rescue and left the other prisoners, which probably means she has a big Imperial target on her back "thanks" to the rebels.
General Draven reads out Jyn's offenses against Imperial law as reasons to hold her prisoner.(It's doubtful the Empire enforces rebel laws 🤡 )
That OP blaster with auto targeting that can take out multiple troopers at once. Apparently it's the only one in the universe. 🤡
Destroying Jedha means no word got out of the Death Star while clearly ships made it of the planet. "The breaches have been filled. Jedha has been silenced." 🤡

I could go on for a while.

Also funny goofs
Rogue-One-is-The-Worst-Movie-of-All-Time-mp4-snapshot-00-07-09-077.jpg

TastyPastry

it is the only star wars movie that i would put in my collection next to the OT and the PT (maybe solo too, need to watch it again but i remember being kinda bored the last time i tried to watch it).
i just wish they would have used kyle katarn and jan ors as the protags and not jyn erso and cassian andor (had to google their names) but other than that, it's the star wars: battlefront movie that i've always wanted.

Pagusas

Elden Member
agreed… it’s a 3 out of 10 Star Wars movie and still the best Disney has given us. It shows you just how bad disney’s outing with Star Wars has been when this horrible film is held up as it’s accomplishment.

Wildebeest

I thought it was pretty good, but in retrospect I don't remember any of the characters and only a very rough outline of the plot.

Reactions: Gp1
I flipped through the novelization. Noticed a passage describing how troopers left behind on that desert planet were dying in excruciating pain. Sums up what's wrong with Star Wars as a franchise - and in contrast, what this movie got so, so right.

CGiRanger

Banned
It was also nice to see The Empire again and seeing just how controlling their regime was on so many worlds. Again making the new "First Order" look like such chumps in comparison that one could never take seriously. Literally the whole First Order really was one asspull after another with little thought behind it.

GeekyDad

I was lucky enough to get my hands on this and it finally arrived
images

(this is an image from google)

Does anyone else feel this movie doesn't get enough appreciation? ,,,

Yes, and I agree that, for my taste, it's the best Disney era SW movie. That being said, it's not really Star Wars. It's a play on The Dirty Dozen, and that's the precise reason I adore it so much. I loved that movie as a kid, and this is the best adaptation I think I've seen since.

Oh, and that fucking ending!!! HOLY SHIT! THE most amazing tie-in ever in the history of fucking movies!

Last edited:

Gp1

Can't remember the name of any rebel character. Krenic has such a a cool premise but it got butchered in the cutting room.

At least the space battle is one of the best of the entire series.

Last edited:
Seeing this scene in the cinema made me realise this was the best Star Wars film since TESB

No scene in the sequel or prequal trilogy matches this.

That is God tier good

Rogue One felt like Expanded Universe: The Movie

There's a reason why it's held in such high regard

Last edited:

Hari Seldon

The movie is boring and forgettable. I only watched it once and have absolutely zero desire to see it a second time, just like the rest of Disney star wars movies. The only good thing about it is Felicity Jones who is hot as fuck even dressed with absolutely no skin showing at all.

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
I hated it the first time I saw it.

On repeated viewings, I like it a little more. But it's far from one of the best Star Wars movies.

The last 45 or so minutes is admittedly one of the best battle scenes - both space and ground - in the series.

Gifmaker

Loved it and still do. I know it gets a lot of hate (and mostly shit), but Disney's been on a good streak for me - I love 4 out of 5 of their movies, which is a damn good run. I think I might just enjoy Solo a bit over Rogue One though, I think it's the more fun movie even though Rogue One definitely has more gravitas to it.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Forest Whitaker should have tried walking to the ship like everyone else lol. It's not like he jumped on a grenade or was holding up a collapsed door.

AJUMP23

I think it is a good movie. But it is completely different than what Lucas originally said happened.

Kyle Katarn is the one who steals the Death Star plan. This actually happens in the first level of Dark Forces, and at the end of his first graphic novel. He transmits the plans on to the next rebel cell.

Kyle Written out of history.

Top Bottom