• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rogue One writer Gary Whitta on EA's handling of the Star Wars license - "It has been catastrophically mismanaged.

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
If Disney cared they wouldn't have dumped the IP off to EA without seemingly any stipulations. Disney does not care about gaming.

Fbh

Sure Disney is probably not happy.
But then again it's not like they have been doing a great job themselves.

EA had to follow up some pretty good Star Wars games and failed
Disney had to follow up the horrible prequels and somehow still failed
If anything they seem like a good match

Last edited:
Not sure I trust the guy that wrote Rogue One, which sucked big time itself.

I find your lack of faith.....disturbing.

giphy.gif

Coming from whoever at Disney these words make me chuckle.

If Disney wanted "Star Wars Uncharted" they should have given it to true masters in the industry to make that happen. But no, Disney has the same cash-grab strategy for movies and games alike, so I'd say EA is their perfect partner in crime.

bigedole

Am I the only one who enjoyed The Force Unleashed? I thought it was a cool game and loved the hack and slash with star wars backdrop/force powers.

Am I the only one who enjoyed The Force Unleashed? I thought it was a cool game and loved the hack and slash with star wars backdrop/force powers.

I did. The first game was great, too bad the second one sucked. But as said in other thread, Im more into the Lucasarts PC games we had in the past.

In an ideal world, there should be only one big online Star Wars Battlefront game, updating every year, and story-focused games in different genres, from open world to linear or space battles like the former X-Wing series.

The only thing EA has done right, almost by accident, is the free VR mission for Battlefront 1.

Elcid

Banned
I did. The first game was great, too bad the second one sucked. But as said in other thread, Im more into the Lucasarts PC games we had in the past.

In an ideal world, there should be only one big online Star Wars Battlefront game, updating every year, and story-focused games in different genres, from open world to linear or space battles like the former X-Wing series.

The only thing EA has done right, almost by accident, is the free VR mission for Battlefront 1.
Force Unleashed 1 was incredible. 2 was fun but not as good. Part 1 legit could have slid into canon and stayed there it was that good.

Toni

Rogue One was better than The Last Jedi with just the Darth Vader ending.

Last edited:

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Didn't he go from writing PC game reviews to writing his own novel and/or screenplay? I backed his book "Abomination".

Yeah, at least someone says something right? :messenger_weary: Hint: look at every thread about a Star Wars game cancellation.

Disney heads are obviously not stepping up or they don't care.

Fox Mulder

Disney doesn't care about games. They shut down great studios and haven't really done much with their licenses off mobile.

Star Wars games are shit under EA, but Marvel hasn't really been used like it could be either. This whole MCU era has been absent in games really, and Spiderman did amazing on the PS4.

BlackTron

I used to be a severe Star Wars fan, to the extent that Rogue Squadron II is my game of that gen.

Now, Disney/EA has messed it up so badly I don't even want to think about Star Wars at all. Yes, they even managed to ruin old Star Wars for me. I just want to let it die and go away already. The pangs of disappointment have outpaced any excitement I once got out of it.

I wish Nintendo would fill this void in my life with a real Star Fox.

Edit: There is some very cool stuff in Rogue One, but it doesn't stand on it's own as its own film without context of other movies, and too little too late tbh.

Last edited:

Hinedorf

Banned
Remember Disney Infinity? It was very successful, they still cancelled it.

Disney does not care about making money, they care about making ALL THE MONEY. They can't do that with video games.

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
Disney doesn't care about games. They shut down great studios and haven't really done much with their licenses off mobile.

Star Wars games are shit under EA, but Marvel hasn't really been used like it could be either. This whole MCU era has been absent in games really, and Spiderman did amazing on the PS4.

I cant forgive Disney because they cancelled Split Second 2 and close Black Rock Studios a great studio... i always want to play Pure.

What a Awesome game in every aspect.

51ffHMEh99L.jpg

EDMIX

If Disney cared they wouldn't have dumped the IP off to EA without seemingly any stipulations. Disney does not care about gaming.

Disney cares about money and when Star Wars Battlefront from EA breaks every major Star Wars record in sales, of course they are going to keep them with the IP. Their job was to have it with a publisher that would make them a lot of money.....thats very much happening under EA.

If Disney wanted lets say, less sales and maybe high tier publisher, they'd likely go with Sony like with Spiderman. Like it or not, EA moves massive units with their AAA games for a reason, if no one wanted it, it would not be breaking those records.

Gamezone

Gold Member
Disney cares about money and when Star Wars Battlefront from EA breaks every major Star Wars record in sales, of course they are going to keep them with the IP. Their job was to have it with a publisher that would make them a lot of money.....thats very much happening under EA.

If Disney wanted lets say, less sales and maybe high tier publisher, they'd likely go with Sony like with Spiderman. Like it or not, EA moves massive units with their AAA games for a reason, if no one wanted it, it would not be breaking those records.

If Disney cares about money they should have handed the IP to plenty of game studios, not EA alone.

EDMIX

If Disney cares about money they should have handed the IP to plenty of game studios, not EA alone.

The deal likely couldn't be done that way, ie EA might have not be willing to accept a deal that had them also competeing with other publishers. Some (if not most) licensing deals can be exclusive to some company. EA clearly has a team that can do a single player SW game, a SW MMO, a SW FPS online title etc. They have the set up to do what Disney wants as a 3rd party, I'm not sure we really have that many publishers that actually all those combinations to pull that off. So far we've just seen what DICE has done, we haven't seen ReSpawn's title or even Bioware's single player RPG. So they have the studios, they have clearly the install base looking at the sales, so it makes lots of sense from Disney's point of view.

Many can say what they want about the deal, but as of right now SW BF series under EA has moved well over 25 million units, this is before we've seen anything else from EA. That alone might keep Disney re-licensing with them based on those results.

Virex

Banned
The whole Star Wars brand has been mismanaged since George Lucas sold it. It's been mismanaged by Disney, directors, writers and EA.

I'm going to go out on a limb, and make the prediction that there will never be another single player SW game under EA's stewardship.

Edit- the old EU is still cannon to me, Disney Wars is nothing but bad fan fiction. Unfortunately I can't write off absolutely everything, because Rebels was quite good.

Last edited:
Probably the best of the garbage Disney movies.
It's actually a genuinely good movie, unlike all the rest of the Disney era.
A lot of it has to do with Gary Whitta's script but another large part of it is Gareth Edwards, a guy who knows how to direct a genre picture and make it bigger than the sum of it's parts. (This is also seen in Godzilla 2014.)

Maguro

Not much of a surprise. For some reason I wasn't excited for any of the new SW movies either. I watched them sure, they had good budget sure. But none of these movies felt like they were something great.
Also i am kinda oversaturated with female maincharacters. But that's the least of my problems why those movies didn't hype me. And let's not include the Han movie into all this please. Sometimes I even forget there is one though I have seen it.

Last edited:

Denton

Rogue One is the best movie of the new ones, or rather, the only one that does not suck donkey balls.

EA is trash, as is Activision.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Let's not pretend the first 2/3 of Rogue One weren't also a complete mess.

I cant believe i ever would turn embarassed as a Star wars fan. But here We are. This franchise is dead to me and something of a miracle needs to get me back in. Not gonna happen Im sure :)

Last edited:

Moses85

Disney spent so dam much money for the license, don’t know what there problem is to spent even more money to built a development studio with industry veterans to build their own games.

Unbelievable

1313 😢😭😤

prag16

Banned
Yeah, they definitely fucked up TLJ and to a lesser extent TFA, no question. But Solo was good and Rogue One was very good. You guys are nuts.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Yeah, they definitely fucked up TLJ and to a lesser extent TFA, no question. But Solo was good and Rogue One was very good. You guys are nuts.

Agreed with this.

I did find it cheesy that Droid of all droids became part of the beloved Millennium Falcon, but other than that I thought Solo was a great space western which had a lot of cues from the glorious Firefly.

And they made Teräs Käsi canon now! Master TK / Master Swordsman was my all-time favorite build in SWG.

Rogue One was my most watched out of the new films as well. Those 'Story' films still have me itching for an Obi-Wan one so damn bad.

Last edited:

prag16

Banned
Agreed with this.

I did find it cheesy that Droid of all droids became part of the beloved Millennium Falcon, but other than that I thought Solo was a great space western which had a lot of cues from the glorious Firefly.

And they made Teräs Käsi canon now! Master TK / Master Swordsman was my all-time favorite build in SWG.

Rogue One was my most watched out of the new films as well. Those 'Story' films still havr me itching for an Obi-Wan one so damn bad.
Agreed with the entire spoilered section. I really hope that Obi Wan film happens. From the outset in 2013 that's the one spin off film that always felt necessary. Solo definitely wasn't necessary but I still liked it, and I think it's been unfairly shat on.

kittoo

Cretinously credulous
Wasnt Garry Whitta a big poster on Neogaf earlier? I remember him from his Book of Eli days. He used to post here a lot.

zenspider

This is more about AAA eating itself than Star Wars in particular. Nothing ahould be harder to fuck up than a mediocre, paint-by-numbers game with the Star Wars license doing the heavy lifting.

"...it looked terrific. It would have been Star Wars Uncharted."

Those two sentences don't make sense to me together, but I'm sorry for those who would've wanted that.

Top Bottom