• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rogue One writer Gary Whitta on EA's handling of the Star Wars license - "It has been catastrophically mismanaged.

Bkdk

Then I’m glad it’s cancelled, last thing I want is more AAA single player campaigns to be like uncharted or Naughty dogs’ type of games. It could turn out like order 1886 did, so EA made the right decision to cancel I guess, would’ve bomb pretty hard.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Then I’m glad it’s cancelled, last thing I want is more AAA single player campaigns to be like uncharted or Naughty dogs’ type of games. It could turn out like order 1886 did, so EA made the right decision to cancel I guess, would’ve bomb pretty hard.

I'll never understand the thought process in gaming where people dictate "less is more" so wrongfully.

If you don't want it, you don't have to buy it, but don't shit on it for the rest of the people who do.

As of right now, 6 years into this contract and we ain't got shit but one and a half Battle(field)fronts.

Last edited:

So you’d prefer just online shooters?

wzy

I'll never understand the thought process in gaming where people dictate "less is more" so wrongfully.

If you don't want it, you don't have to buy it, but don't shit on it for the rest of the people who do.

As of right now, 6 years into this contract and we ain't got shit but one and a half Battle(field)fronts.

When you define the market your shitty taste and lack of self-respect effects everyone else. Seems only fair that they get to clap back about it.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Fair statement, considering the golden opportunity they had with Dice/Disney and kinda let it all slip away at one point in time you have to stop.

I’ll give you that and before that contract we were spoiled with high scoring (80+) Star Wars games (Original Battlefront, Old Republic etc.)

Solarstrike

Gold Member
Why couldn't Disney tell EA to stop what they are doing then take whatever is completed, and say, give to a Studio like Monolith or even Ubisoft. Or even Machine Games. I'm sure there's a ton of other worthy studios. In regards though, sort of like how if you have an attorney who isn't serving your best interest(s), you can tell/write them to stop what they are doing and then hire someone else (or have the new attorney do it). I do not understand the logic involved with EA on this. The best resolve for Disney and Co. is to remove the entire Star Wars IP from EA. This in tern would allow EA to focus on it's own IP's and even make a new fucking Dead Space game. It's absolutely still horrible that an entire studio (Visceral) was shuddered when in fact, the reality it seems is mismanagement.

EA, let's get with the program here. You guys have an immense amount of talent. Stop messing things up will ya? Look at the IP's you own. Bring them back and focus. Let Star Wars go, you'll be happier for it.

db1416

“Catastrophically mismanaged” could be the company slogan for EA at this point.

Last edited:

Gamezone

Gold Member
Why couldn't Disney tell EA to stop what they are doing then take whatever is completed, and say, give to a Studio like Monolith or even Ubisoft. Or even Machine Games. I'm sure there's a ton of other worthy studios. In regards though, sort of like how if you have an attorney who isn't serving your best interest(s), you can tell/write them to stop what they are doing and then hire someone else (or have the new attorney do it). I do not understand the logic involved with EA on this. The best resolve for Disney and Co. is to remove the entire Star Wars IP from EA. This in tern would allow EA to focus on it's own IP's and even make a new fucking Dead Space game. It's absolutely still horrible that an entire studio (Visceral) was shuddered when in fact, the reality it seems is mismanagement.

EA, let's get with the program here. You guys have an immense amount of talent. Stop messing things up will ya? Look at the IP's you own. Bring them back and focus. Let Star Wars go, you'll be happier for it.

They are on a contract, and it`s probably difficult for Disney to break that.

spookyfish

Sure Disney is probably not happy.
But then again it's not like they have been doing a great job themselves.

EA had to follow up some pretty good Star Wars games and failed
Disney had to follow up the horrible prequels and somehow still failed
If anything they seem like a good match

This. “Oh, we don’t even have to TRY! It’s Star Wars!! Just throw stuff out there and it makes money!!” Okay, Kathleen.

The toy aisles at Target and Walmart say differently. Nobody wants what they’ve produced. They’re moving toward having a toxic brand.

They are on a contract, and it`s probably difficult for Disney to break that.

EVERY contract of this scale has an “escape clause.” Disney just hasn’t started caring—yet. With profits overall being 17% down they’re going to have to.

Last edited:

prag16

Banned
When you define the market your shitty taste and lack of self-respect effects everyone else. Seems only fair that they get to clap back about it.
Oh I'm sorry Mr. paragon of sophistication dictating what people should like from on high.

Thiagosc777

Star Wars has been catastrophically mismanaged by Disney. So, EA is just matching their level of quality.

Last edited:

dirthead

Banned
If Disney cared they wouldn't have dumped the IP off to EA without seemingly any stipulations. Disney does not care about gaming.

You hit the nail on the head. In GENERAL--movies, games, etc.--Disney has mismanaged the license. The sequel movies are an abomination, the spinoffs are dog shit, they put 0 effort into the games.

Crap company. Lucas should have never sold out.

Stitch

Gold Member
I find your lack of faith.....disturbing.

giphy.gif
This was added in a reshoot. Many parts of Rogue One were changed or added in reshoots. Their original plan was that no lightsabers would show up in Rogue One.. Well but someone at Disney wasn't happy about that.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
This was added in a reshoot. Many parts of Rogue One were changed or added in reshoots. Their original plan was that no lightsabers would show up in Rogue One.. Well but someone at Disney wasn't happy about that.

Well, it was a great decision. One of the best scenes in Star Wars film.

lifa-cobex

Surprised they didn't pump out anything more when the VR was at it's high point of interest.

That x-wing battlefront DLC seemed to go down well.

Bakkus

Hell no. The Last Jedi was a movie for kids, while Rogue One felt way more mature.
Rogue One's script reads like a middle school fan fiction project. It also has probably the least charismatic characters i've ever seen on film. All of them. You're supposed to root for those? Supposed to feel any sympathy when they all die at the end?...

Last edited:

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
Stopped caring about Star Wars ever since they wrote off Expanded Universe and changed things with the movies taking place after Episode 6. The fact Star Wars as a franchise is being handled poorly by others makes me have little hope left for the franchise. Shame loved the universe growing up.

I think Lucas shouldn't have sold it. It's really suffering now. Such a big and great universe it was.

Future

You gotta give it to a studio that cares first about respecting the franchise and delivering a decent take. Like rocksteady and insomniac did. Hard to believe this was priority for a studio under EA, Respawn is our last hope

You gotta give it to a studio that cares first about respecting the franchise and delivering a decent take. Like rocksteady and insomniac did. Hard to believe this was priority for a studio under EA, Respawn is our last hope

I have hope in Respawn to do this right

Last edited:

Pimpbaa

Stopped caring about Star Wars ever since they wrote off Expanded Universe and changed things with the movies taking place after Episode 6. The fact Star Wars as a franchise is being handled poorly by others makes me have little hope left for the franchise. Shame loved the universe growing up.

I think Lucas shouldn't have sold it. It's really suffering now. Such a big and great universe it was.

The IP would have been suffering more if Lucas still had it and was still making movies of the same quality as the prequel trilogy. Even at their worst, the Disney Star Wars movies are still considerably better than those.

The IP would have been suffering more if Lucas still had it and was still making movies of the same quality as the prequel trilogy. Even at their worst, the Disney Star Wars movies are still considerably better than those.
I honestly don't really think so anymore. As bad as the prequel trilogy was, at least it tried to do something different. The Disney sequel trilogy is literally the original trilogy again except much much worse. If I had a choice between bad but different and bad but the same, I would definitely pick bad but different. At least I'll have something interesting to watch. The prequel trilogy was bad but it was a really interesting train wreck where I was constantly surprised by new ways of being bad. The Disney sequel trilogy has been both bad and deathly boring.

Last edited:

Pimpbaa

I honestly don't really think so anymore. As bad as the prequel trilogy was, at least it tried to do something different. The Disney sequel trilogy is literally the original trilogy again except much much worse. If I had a choice between bad but different and bad but the same, I would definitely pick bad but different. At least I'll have something interesting to watch. The prequel trilogy was bad but it was a really interesting train wreck where I was constantly surprised by new ways of being bad. The Disney sequel trilogy has been both bad and deathly boring.

EP1 and 2 are completely unwatchable (EP3 is horrible as well, but just not as bad as those two). Dated and sterile CGI being used everywhere, cringe worthy dialog and acting, and nothing was as deathly boring as the politics (Palpatine's rise to power). I mean latter was something I wanted to see before the prequels came out, but I didn't know it was going to be such a slow burn till EP3. I'd rather watch Solo than watch either EP1 or 2.

angelic

Banned
1/ Rogue One was great, stuff the cynicism.

2/ Remember Disney forced a major cinema not to show Tarantino's Hateful 8, and only show Star Wars, else none of their chain would get to show it.

Disney are scum, it's why them and EA get on so well.

dirthead

Banned

Not really. They're basically bad in different ways. Lucas's shit was batshit insane bad, and Disney's shit was boring bad.

Hudo

Man, I'd really like a new Jedi Knight. I would also love to see what other devs could do with the license. For example, I'd really love to see Platinum Games doing a "Sith Game". Or Retro Studios trying their hands on a new Rogue Squadron. Or Obsidian trying their hands on a Knights of the Old Republic III.

MilkyJoe

Rogue One is even worse than Last Jedi

Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha *breathes* ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha

LordRaptor

He didn't "sell out" though. He sold the IP for a bargain price.

$4 billion ain't a bargain price in my books, especially given $2 billion of that was in general Disney shares, so he ends up getting a cut of everything else - Pixar, Marvel, theme parks, TV, toys, etc - on an ongoing basis too.

He might have given up on something he created, but he made out like a bandit doing so.

Bkdk

So you’d prefer just online shooters?

First from a business standpoint why release something that will be highly likely to bomb? Developers losing money will discourage them to develop even more games, and yes I sure rather play more EA’s online shooters because they are at lease more enjoyable to play, games like uncharted are games I’d rather just watch as I hate playing them. I’d rather the developer release anything that is more focus on gameplay and less focus on cutscenes and their so called emotional stories, even it turned out mediocre it’s still better than having one less game to play.

Top Bottom