• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rogue One writer Gary Whitta on EA's handling of the Star Wars license - "It has been catastrophically mismanaged.

Lucumo

$4 billion ain't a bargain price in my books, especially given $2 billion of that was in general Disney shares, so he ends up getting a cut of everything else - Pixar, Marvel, theme parks, TV, toys, etc - on an ongoing basis too.

He might have given up on something he created, but he made out like a bandit doing so.
It absolutely is. You can look at how the industry reacted as well. Star Wars is also, after all, pretty much the most valuable IP. The shares were definitely the better part, looking at their value today. However, that's obviously not factored into the purchase back in the day.

Not like he created it alone anyway.

Gamezone

Gold Member
Some turds are less turdy than others.

Though I gotta be honest, after revisiting Solo on Netflix a couple times, it’s growing on me

Why do people use this argument? So many did it with The Last Jedi. The first time it was trash, then it got better the second and third time.

Well, guess what. If a movie is this bad I prefer to never watch it again.

Skyfox

TFA and TLJ took a franchise from the 70s and delivered some spectacular scenes. Sure these movies had their flaws but better to have had than not in my view.

I agree that EA and Star Wars did not really work this gen though.

Unlike most of the commenters here so far I thought Solo was an incredible amount of money for a barely mediocre movie. I thought Rogue One was completely overrated.

TFA and TLJ took a franchise from the 70s and delivered some spectacular scenes. Sure these movies had their flaws but better to have had than not in my view.

I agree that EA and Star Wars did not really work this gen though.

Unlike most of the commenters here so far I thought Solo was an incredible amount of money for a barely mediocre movie. I thought Rogue One was completely overrated.

There ya go

giphy.gif

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Hell no. The Last Jedi was a movie for kids, while Rogue One felt way more mature.

The Last Jedi was a modern artsy indie film, by an indie director, and it shows.

Nothing against indie films, I do enjoy them, but they don't have a place in the overall theme that Star Wars has crafted on film for the past 40 years. And that is why I feel it felt so out of place.

Last edited:

#Phonepunk#

Banned
It’s a shame. Lots of good SW games during the OT years, then the PT provided tons of new material and worldbuilding for lots of great games.

The ST has been flat, boring, and tiny by comparison, so it would have been a stretch for them to come up with anything past a online shooter. Nobody wants to visit these boring new worlds and the amount of new characters has slowed to a drop.

Lucas got out at the right time. Build up an IP for 40 years before passing it off. When even the creator of the work gets non stop hate it’s time to throw in the towel. That there are still people talking shit about the PT proves he was right. Thankfully those films have held up and only get better and more interesting as this mediocre mush continues to be produced.

Last edited:

Saruhashi

Banned
Rogue One writer Gary Whitta on EA's handling of the Star Wars license - "It has been catastrophically mismanaged. If I were Disney, I’d be fucking furious. I saw a bunch of that game, and it looked terrific. It would have been Star Wars Uncharted."

Read the full story here:

https://comicbook.com/gaming/2019/01/18/rogue-one-writer-destroys-ea-over-cancelled-star-wars-game/

I'd feel kind of confident in speculating that the cancellation issues will be related to story content rather than gameplay.
More than likely they will use some of the more technical stuff in future games.

So, possibly the story and/or character content was not in line with Disneys vision for Star Wars.
Or there was a fear that this story/characters would face similar backlash to Solo and The Last Jedi.
As a result the project is cancelled.

It's mad when you think about it. A Star Wars video game should be an open goal for making tons of money AND a half decent game.

Even if you think of some competent games that were not wildly successful you could throw a Star Wars coat of paint on them and come up with something that is good and sells loads.

Which is why I reckon these failures are probably related to the actual lore of Star Wars. Looking at EAs catalog of games and the studios that work for them I refuse to believe that they could not cobble together a pretty decent batch of Star Wars games.
There were always good Star Wars games out there in previous generations.

The main difference seems to be that since Disney took control of the Star Wars brand we haven't really seen anything outside of Battlefront and the first one never even had a story mode(?).

Keep in mind that Disney bought Star Wars about a year before PS4 was released and since then all we've had is Lego Star Wars and Battlefront. Is that right?

I wonder what kind of rules they have in place for how the Star Wars lore is handled. I wonder to what extent that is argued over by the developers, publishers and the owners of the brand.

Seems like a massive missed opportunity.

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
To the people railing on the prequels - I re-watched them recently and actually they hold up better than I thought they would. I had a good time. Sure there were problems - as mentioned the CGI is iffy, this was one of the first movies to use CGI this way and it shows, partly with the visuals and partly with how the actors struggled to work with it (though this was also in part due to poor direction - paranoia which led to actors knowing nothing beyond the scene they were shooting at that moment). The story is a good one though, and with a bit of editing it could have been wonderful, as it is it's entertaining and feels like Star Wars to me.

On games - I'm finally giving KOTOR a shot right now and loving it so far (apart from the lazy sewer level in the undercity). More of that kind of thing wouldn't go amiss. Btw I'm having to play it on my old laptop as it won't run on a 120Hz screen and there's no way to turn it to 60 on my new laptop - does anyone know how to persuade a game to work in such a scenario?)

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
re: Rogue One - it wasn't bad but tbh it lacked characters anyone could be particularly arsed about.

Ballthyrm

I am quite hopeful with "The Mandalorian".
Dave Filoni will show everybody how it's done.

So far the best Star Wars has been the animated series.
Ahsoka is the best Star Wars character not created by George Lucas.

Last edited:

DonF

You don't have to be a movie writer to tell that EA has mismanaged the IP. Even if galaxy of heroes is making money with a low investment, way lower than AAA games and the current Battlefronts, EA's output with the IP has been atrocious. The potential of star wars is enormous and they have done is a mobile game and 2 games, one of those had was so bad in its monetization that made countries speak about it. Really really bad moves by EA.

Saruhashi

Banned
re: Rogue One - it wasn't bad but tbh it lacked characters anyone could be particularly arsed about.

Yeah, I think all of the new Star Wars movies suffer from the fact that they actively hint at WAY more interesting stories than the one being told.

Like Rogue One ends with Vader being a badass but that begs the question "why wasn't this just a Darth Vader movie".
Why not open on these characters stealing the plans and literally have the movie be about Vader hunting down and killing each of them?
Nah, let's focus on boring ass characters for 2 hours before adding people the audience actually wants to see in the last few minutes.

Solo, has the same problem. Why is Darth Maul showing up for 10 seconds at the end of the movie?
He should have been in from the start with more focus on him as the movies big antagonist.
Nope. A whole bunch of boring formulaic shit with uninteresting people and then "hey remember Darth Maul? The End."

Even the new trilogy is telling basically the most boring story in the Star Wars saga.
It's made even worse by the fact that it has to reference in some way the FAR more interesting years between Ep6 and Ep7.

Though, I will say the prequels do the same thing to a lesser extent. For me Episode 2 should have ended with Anakin becoming Vader and allowing us to have an entire Episode 3 with Darth Vader as Darth Vader showing how he really was an evil asshole and ending with the Death Star plans slipping through his grasp and MAYBE discovering he has a son at the end.

It's kind of funny how all Star Wars content outside of the originals does this. :)

"Did you ever hear the tragedy of Dath Plagueis the Wise"
Nah mate, I was subjected to the wacky adventures of Anakin the Annoying instead.
FFS. :)

Last edited:

FatboyTim

Even the new trilogy is telling basically the most boring story in the Star Wars saga.
It's made even worse by the fact that it has to reference in some way the FAR more interesting years between Ep6 and Ep7.
This!

Supreme Leader Snoke - looks like a bad dude. I wonder what his backstory is? [Tough luck on that one.]

So, Kylo is 'Master of the Knights of Ren'? Sounds cool. I wonder who they are? [Nothing.]

Well the new heroine, Rey is certainly capable and she's searching for her parents. It'll be interesting to find out more about her lineage. [Ron Howard (voiceover) "It wasn't"]

I could go on.

To the people railing on the prequels - I re-watched them recently and actually they hold up better than I thought they would. I had a good time. Sure there were problems - as mentioned the CGI is iffy, this was one of the first movies to use CGI this way and it shows, partly with the visuals and partly with how the actors struggled to work with it (though this was also in part due to poor direction - paranoia which led to actors knowing nothing beyond the scene they were shooting at that moment). The story is a good one though, and with a bit of editing it could have been wonderful, as it is it's entertaining and feels like Star Wars to me.

On games - I'm finally giving KOTOR a shot right now and loving it so far (apart from the lazy sewer level in the undercity). More of that kind of thing wouldn't go amiss. Btw I'm having to play it on my old laptop as it won't run on a 120Hz screen and there's no way to turn it to 60 on my new laptop - does anyone know how to persuade a game to work in such a scenario?)

I just can’t get myself to rewatch the prequels. To me they just aren’t very captivating.

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
I just can’t get myself to rewatch the prequels. To me they just aren’t very captivating.

Well I'm not here to force anyone. When did you last watch them? For me, I realised when I watched them recently that I'd been somewhat NPC'd on the issue, having let the general backlash against them get to me and colour my perception somewhat. Removing that filter did a lot for me.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
the prequels are better then 7 and 8
I said it at least the prequels are original.

solo and rogue one are fun movies tho just plain fun

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
the prequels are better then 7 and 8
I said it at least the prequels are original.

solo and rogue one are fun movies tho just plain fun

Yep, the prequels were ambitious and tried to tell a different story in the Star Wars universe, there's a lot they do well, and yeah quite a few missteps but there's a lot to like. It certainly helped set the tone for KOTOR in many ways, imo.

I just don’t see it. Sorry, but the first two are so boring (to me) and the acting is just so stiff. So stiff.

Episode III has redeeming qualities. I’ve watched it at least a few times over the years.

Just my opinion. I’m not gonna apologize for it. I’d much rather watch anything from Disney era than the first two prequels.

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
JareBear: Remastered JareBear: Remastered - no worries, not here to perform any religious conversions. I agree entirely that the acting is stiff, a product of dodgy dialog, working with green screens when people weren't really used to it, and George Lucas not letting people see their lines until they were in the actual scene. I hope that Disney, once it finishes off this trilogy, finds ways to be more inventive in the Star Wars universe, but for me the sequel trilogy simply isn't doing anything new, and thus loses out to the prequel trilogy because while flawed it's still enjoyable and it really tried to do something cool.

Banned
This was added in a reshoot. Many parts of Rogue One were changed or added in reshoots. Their original plan was that no lightsabers would show up in Rogue One.. Well but someone at Disney wasn't happy about that.
I'd love the Rogue One movie that was presented in the teaser and first trailer.

That'd be a little hypocritical of Disney considering fans are furious at them. They cancelled like 1 or 2 shows planned and the Boba fett movie. It's not just ea.

EDMIX

They care about money, like any business.

This.

Most on here don't want to talk about factual information, simply feelings.

Disney is a business, they gave the license to EA to make them money and EA has just made the best selling Star Wars game in history before even having another team take a crack at it....

So Disney got what they wanted and so did EA, anything else is just irrelevant and many on hear haven't even given real valid reasons on why Disney would remove the license after the 10 years.

EDMIX

That'd be a little hypocritical of Disney considering fans are furious at them. They cancelled like 1 or 2 shows planned and the Boba fett movie. It's not just ea.

" considering fans are furious at them " Lol you mean the same fans that hate everything religiously about the IP? Soooooo maybe some of you haven't realized this, the more you keep criticizing a IP, the more the owner of it beings just auto ignoring those fans, ie the ones that seem to cry about any and everything regarding the IP like clock work.

It no longer becomes valid, logical etc, it just starts to look like some insane cult that cries over any and everything. ie (Han's button on is vest are done incorrectly and not to the standard of the craftsmen of the planet he bought them from as revealed in book 7, chapter 5, page 121) That type of crap is the stuff that causes those companies to mass ignore that base as they've made their issues not only unreasonable, but cultist and obsessive.

Put it this way, remember when this board and many other forums went nuts over Battlefront when EA announced it? Ok......it went on to move 15 million units and break every major record for a Star Wars game. So there is what nerds cry over and reality.

Disney and EA are a business and will side with reality regarding those moves, not forums of folk that sound legit religious over the IP.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
" considering fans are furious at them " Lol you mean the same fans that hate everything religiously about the IP? Soooooo maybe some of you haven't realized this, the more you keep criticizing a IP, the more the owner of it beings just auto ignoring those fans, ie the ones that seem to cry about any and everything regarding the IP like clock work.

It no longer becomes valid, logical etc, it just starts to look like some insane cult that cries over any and everything. ie (Han's button on is vest are done incorrectly and not to the standard of the craftsmen of the planet he bought them from as revealed in book 7, chapter 5, page 121) That type of crap is the stuff that causes those companies to mass ignore that base as they've made their issues not only unreasonable, but cultist and obsessive.

Put it this way, remember when this board and many other forums went nuts over Battlefront when EA announced it? Ok......it went on to move 15 million units and break every major record for a Star Wars game. So there is what nerds cry over and reality.

Disney and EA are a business and will side with reality regarding those moves, not forums of folk that sound legit religious over the IP.

Yep and by dismissing all fans disappointed (caking all of them crazy myopic geeky losers essentially) and complaining about the direction they see and dislike and doubling down on painting all of them with such an extremist brush on the follow up home releases those companies wake up and are just “shocked” that their monster IP’s lost sales and they are not bringing in the shockingly enormous revenue they planned for... Disney already saw that with their Star Wars plans and is now maybe overcompensating (Obi-Wan movie? Boba Fett movie?).

EA only being able to deliver two Battlefront games, and closing down one studio and cancelling a game in two of its iterations, is not a good way tk manage an expensive license that used to be worth a lot of money.

Last edited:

120v

if behind the scenes stories of that Uncharted type SW game are to be believed it doesn't sound like Disney is giving that long of a leash for anybody to work with. sounds like a nightmare to get the greenlight on anything, so something like an open world rpg or Kotor3 or spiritual successor, anything "us fans" really want, just doesn't sound feasible with all the creative liberties that'd have to be taken

in that sense EA is probably the best home for it.

Last edited:

BlackTron

The prequel trilogy is severely flawed but at least has the benefit of being original.

When I saw Episode 7, I was horrified that the entire movie was scenes copy/pasted from the OT, mostly ep4, with the characters reshuffled into a bunch of politically correct checkboxes that happen to be not as good as 1970 equivalents.

After this experience, and reading about Last Jedi, I declined to see the movie. I still have not seen it, I probably never will. I'm actively avoiding seeing Luke Skywalker portrayed this way lol.

I actually got a PS4 for the Battlefront bundle some years ago. I played the game for a week, and my attention to SW games NEVER went back. Take me out of cyro if Factor 5 ever gets the license again.

Yes, The Force Awakens sold mad tickets. Yes, EA's battlefront has sold many copies. In the process, they have destroyed the brand and totally extinguished any excitement I once had for Star Wars. And I'm apparently not alone. You think Disney would be slowing the pace of movie releases if there wasn't an issue? They fucked up.

For all this talk about how Disney/EA love money, they are getting what they want etc, have you ever considered principles like lifetime value of a client?

Fuz

Banned
You guys think Rogue One wasn't bad just because you're comparing it to the shitshow of SW movies disney made.

You think Disney would be slowing the pace of movie releases if there wasn't an issue? They fucked up.

Didn’t this have more to do with Solo’s underperformance than anything else? And didn’t that underperformance have more to do with it just not being a movie anyone was excited about (especially after weird development news surrounding the project). completely unrelated to the sequel trilogy?

You’re definitely not alone, and I don’t blame you, but I do personally believe that the people who are basically disowning Star Wars are a very very vocal minority. The next one still gonna make a billion.

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
Didn’t this have more to do with Solo’s underperformance than anything else? And didn’t that underperformance have more to do with it just not being a movie anyone was excited about (especially after weird development news surrounding the project). completely unrelated to the sequel trilogy?

You’re definitely not alone, and I don’t blame you, but I do personally believe that the people who are basically disowning Star Wars are a very very vocal minority. The next one still gonna make a billion.

For me, I didn't bother seeing Solo, in part because honestly Harrison Ford is brilliant, trying to be better is an exercise in futility, in part because too many Star Wars films in too short a time (though had they all been good I'd have been less fatigued no doubt) and in part because TLJ didn't do the job (superman-Leia and to-camera "this isn't snow, it's salt"). I can't speak for other's motivations obviously but I'm sure some element of that applies to a wider group.

Xenon

Everyones handling of the Star Wars license - "It has been catastrophically mismanaged."

Fixed. While Rogue One was entertaining, it offered nothing substantial to the universe/lore.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Everyones handling of the Star Wars license - "It has been catastrophically mismanaged."

Fixed. While Rogue One was entertaining, it offered nothing substantial to the universe/lore.

I personally think it was the closest one to the theme of the original trilogy and expanded universe lore at the time that we used to have before the Disney acquisition. Like who the Death Star architect was, etc..

Last edited:
You guys think Rogue One wasn't bad just because you're comparing it to the shitshow of SW movies disney made.

I thought Rogue One was mediocre at best. It was slow, boring, and none of the characters had any charisma. I think people are pretending Rogue One wasn't shitty because "it was dark, like the Dark Knight Rises... so that means good."

I personally think it was the closest one to the theme of the original trilogy and expanded universe lore at the time that we used to have before the Disney acquisition. Like who the Death Star architect was, etc..
Rogue One was the best one Disney has made so far. The scene at the end was better than the entire movies of 7 and 8.

M0G

Download RivaTuner and cap the frame rate to 60. Or manually set the refresh rate variable in swkotor.ini in the game directory.

The over-arching story to the six star wars films is great, it's just the poor execution of those prequels. The lead character needed a strong performance and we were given something quite horrific instead. There are some great story elements and scenes in those films like Order 66 for example. A lot of people don't like the political aspect of the movies but I enjoyed it personally. The films gave us so much world building and insight that I can almost forgive the films for being so disapointing. They really are the backbone from which so much of Star Wars is built from and probably responsible for the Disney films not being ten times worse than they already are. Imagine if Disney had a virtually clean state to describe the history of the Jedi Order and how they were trained etc. Instead we just get selective ignorance here and there but what they are doing now could still be far worse. They definitely contributed plenty of positive aspects and for that I can still sit down and enjoy them to a degree. I fucking hate the main disney movies and absolutely lose my shit when they refer to them as the continuation of the Skywalker saga.

Xenon

True but it was so encapsulated and ultimately disposable that it lacks any relevance to me. It could have been a fan fiction. Which is just a symptom of the bigger issue, lack of continuity for the new Star Wars films with each just being a one off with it's own writers and a lack of a master plan or planner.

Banned
I thought Rogue One was mediocre at best. It was slow, boring, and none of the characters had any charisma. I think people are pretending Rogue One wasn't shitty because "it was dark, like the Dark Knight Rises... so that means good."
Hated Dark Knight Rises, enjoyed Rogue One.

Top Bottom