• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Roman Polanski's Carnage (Foster, Winslet, Waltz, Reilly)

Status
Not open for further replies.
BenjaminBirdie said:
Not really. Directing is problem solving, making choices. Polanski proved he is grotesquely incapable of those things on a fundamental and core level. That said, it looks like this film is 95% in the writing and performances.

How does what he did have absolutely anything to do with how he technically directs a film? He has proven time and time again he is extremely proficient at his craft.

And yes, I know Computer was joking...but sadly, many others are serious.

Smidget

I saw this on Broadway when visiting NYC a couple of years back with Jimmy Smits, Annie Potts and 2 lesser known actors.

It was a funny play and I'd watch the movie, but it's not really ground breaking or anything like that, just a simple 1 room/house play. John C Reilly is awesome... Not 100% sold on Christoph Waltz.

Expendable. said:
How does what he did have absolutely anything to do with how he technically directs a film? He has proven time and time again he is extremely proficient at his craft.

And yes, I know Computer was joking...but sadly, many others are serious.

It's the same brain. It's not even about supporting the dude financially. I don't want to peek into the mind of someone capable of doing such a thing. No thank you. I don't understand how people can actually pretend there's a separation.

DeadTrees

BenjaminBirdie said:
Directing is problem solving, making choices. Polanski proved he is grotesquely incapable of those things on a fundamental and core level. That said, it looks like this film is 95% in the writing and performances.
I'm not sure which is sillier:

-The idea that ephebophilia/pedophilia/kid-raping and movie direction aren't completely different skill sets, or
-The idea that the writing and performances--both of which, in this particular film, Polanski has final approval over--make this situation more agreeable for you.

DeadTrees said:
I'm not sure which is sillier:

-The idea that ephebophilia/pedophilia/kid-raping and movie direction aren't completely different skill sets, or
-The idea that the writing and performances--both of which, in this particular film, Polanski has final approval over--make this situation more agreeable for you.

Ha! "Skill sets".

Top marks for that one.

"More agreeable" not "Totally kewl, dude". I doubt I'll see it anyway. I've seen Reilly in True West. This looks like a joke in comparison.

Computer said:
What exactly characterises Polanski's style? I haven't seen enough of his movies to know.

His choice of camera angles and framing. The style of acting as well. When Jodie Foster is spraying something and saying "freakin nightmare", that particularly identifies Polanski to me.

Whats this? The train snaps back to the track. The last 8 pages were certainly carnage.

He should do the time, and probably be castrated so his movies can be enjoyed in peace. That said, this movie has no appeal to me. In part because of the mind behind it. But enough of that I guess.

that's a shame, not even close to writing it off though. Ninth Gate got mostly crap reviews and I enjoyed the hell out of that.

Plus he's coming right off of Ghost Writer.

edit: ah i see they're saying it's not really carrying any of his flourishes, more like a director-for-hire job. Hmm...

Blader

Discotheque said:
that's a shame, not even close to writing it off though. Ninth Gate got mostly crap reviews and I enjoyed the hell out of that.

Plus he's coming right off of Ghost Writer.

edit: ah i see they're saying it's not really carrying any of his flourishes, more like a director-for-hire job. Hmm...

And? Not that The Ghost Writer wasn't a solid thriller, but it's not like it was totally remarkable in any regard either.

nah I think it was really well made, many other directors would have just made an average film out of the script but I think Polanski did really good with a predictable plotline. dat note scene. And he managed to get a great performance out of Brosnan (dude should have been nominated).

edit: dude I love your avatars (mmm....mad men and louie) but I don't think we're ever gonna agree on films....like ever. you broke my heart when you said you liked the town more than heat.

Blader

Discotheque said:
nah I think it was really well made, many other directors would have just made an average film out of the script but I think Polanski did really good with a predictable plotline. dat note scene. And he managed to get a great performance out of Brosnan (dude should have been nominated).

edit: dude I love your avatars (mmm....mad men and louie) but I don't think we're ever gonna agree on films....like ever. you broke my heart when you said you liked the town more than heat.

Oh, I don't think it wasn't well-made, I did like it, it just didn't really blow me away like it seemed to for a lot of other people.

And surely we found some common ground on The New World?! (which I unabashedly loved)

Blader5489 said:
Oh, I don't think it wasn't well-made, I did like it, it just didn't really blow me away like it seemed to for a lot of other people.
What blew me away was that he pulled so much tension out a very typical and predictable story. No one can create atmosphere the way Polanski does. It's crazy that he can get past the shittiness inherent in that story and totally enrapture me. And I first saw it on a plane.

Jak140

AdrianWerner said:
I saw it and it doesn't convince me. I don't see anything that terrible in his actions. Yes, he did a bad thing, but "OMG! Teh child rapist. He's such a monster" nonsense is overblown. THe girl was pretty much a cumdumpster for hollywood elite back then. Bassicaly her parents pimped her out to whoever had the power back then.
Polanski says it wasn't rape (as in..he forced her, statutory rape is pretty idiotic law construct) and I believe him. Especially since he never did something like this before or after.

Wow. Did this guy really not get banned for saying this? What a misogynistic piece of shit.

shuri

Banned
You guys might want to read up on the police statement that the girl gave if you think that it was not really a rape.. For fucks sake, gaf..

Gambit

I've seen it last night. It was actually really good. All of the actors are great (although I thought Jodie Foster was the weakest, which is saying something).

The running time actually works in the films favour, as you, along with characters, long to get out of that apartment. You couldn't have stretched that out indefinitely.

The characters are all very believable as is the overall story. It really is a marvellous little film.

I thought this was decent. Minor work from Polanski. I was engaged, but never deeply affected by anything happening onscreen. Good performance showcase.

Holy fuck Waltz steals the show yet again. Great work from all involved. I don't know how much the screenplay was lifted from the play, but it was extremely well crafted. Laughed my ass off. Recommended.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom